Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Does Sugar have some weird OITNB connection to get these VAs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I still think Steven Universe S4: Diamond is (not) Unbreakable is the best.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Know Your Fusion: having the two most joke-heavy characters interacting was kind of exhausting. It was a fun episode for meta-gags though. Anybody else clock the Wilhelm Scream in the middle?

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

My son called her "Icky Pearl" when she first showed up. She's just Lapis now though.

He drew this picture of Peridot when she first showed up and I still love it.

This is all I would hope a corrupted Peridot to be.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

LemonLimeTime posted:

This is all I would hope a corrupted Peridot to be.

fyi i love your Daria/Lapis avatar. <3

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Lupus Rufus posted:

Ha, thanks. I think thats why I loved her so much in Hit The Diamond, and any following episode where she's taken on a subtle snakiness. I already resonated with her a bit and found her really lovable and adorable from the moment she came out of the mirror, (even using all of Earth's water and breaking Greg's leg...I could tell she was just misunderstood!) but adding the biting sarcasm just sealed the deal in making her probably my favorite. Reminded me of girls I could actually relate to growing up, like Daria, Jane Lane and parts of Ghost World.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 12, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sticky posted:

Steven Universe S4: Sad gay, so what.

I don't get it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love that (Leaked episode discussion) Sardonix addressed the fact that she can get very thoughtless in her excitement. Just loved that realisation "Oh.... no..... I've hijacked their show... They just wanted to show us and I got so excited...." Most series's with this kind of thing have the results lacking character, like the fusions in DBZ were all generically cocky, so I like that the fusions in SU have their own character flaws that aren't the flaws of their components (Like Opal's forgetfulness)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't get it

dad gay. so what

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Steven Universe Season 4: A Show about Gals Being Pals

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

LemonLimeTime posted:

She sounds very similar, but it's actually:

They're really good at finding VAs who sound like the exact middle point between two of their existing cast members.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Hakkesshu posted:

So did they just completely drop the concept of having to do a fusion dance? Not that I mind, it seems impractical for these kinds of stories.

I was wondering that myself. With Smoky Quartz, you could probably handwave it away by assuming that the two misfit gems are already naturally in sync after all they went through. Or maybe quartzes just stack quicker, like the mega-Ruby.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Know Your Fusion is... a weird episode. I don't think I liked it, except for the bit at the beginning

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

EasyEW posted:

I was wondering that myself. With Smoky Quartz, you could probably handwave it away by assuming that the two misfit gems are already naturally in sync after all they went through. Or maybe quartzes just stack quicker, like the mega-Ruby.

You could just say that Garnet and Pearl learned how to fuse without dancing out of necessity in Friend Ship

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Anyone here think the Sardonyx in this episode was dominated more by Garnet in this episode?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Know Your Fusion is... a weird episode. I don't think I liked it, except for the bit at the beginning

I agree it was weird, but I did like it. It was neat to see two fusions interacting for an extended length of time. Don't think I want see it repeated again time soon though. Especially with those two, a little goes a long way.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's always been the case that gems just have to be in sync to fuse. Dancing is a way for different gems to get synchronised if they aren't already (but doing it in a freeform way that matches the show's message, rather than the strictly regimented fusion dance of DBZ).

Note that the rubies in The Answer didn't need to dance, they just went ahead and fused because they were basically all the same person already.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also, the times we see involved dances are usually when Steven is around, so I wouldn't be surprised if at least part of it is showing off for him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just like the little nuclear explosion that comes with Smoky Quartz's fusion. :3:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Know Your Fusion: I was hoping for either Garnet or Pearl to just immediately be like "OH MY GOD FUSE WITH ME NEXT" or something so we could see new fusions but I like how this turned out anyways. It was both heartwarming and kinda sad watching Smoky put herself down so hard while Sardonyx finally realized she stole their moment but it worked out wonderfully in the end.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Lupus Rufus posted:

LemonLimeTime posted:

Ha, thanks. I think thats why I loved her so much in Hit The Diamond, and any following episode where she's taken on a subtle snakiness. I already resonated with her a bit and found her really lovable and adorable from the moment she came out of the mirror, (even using all of Earth's water and breaking Greg's leg...I could tell she was just misunderstood!) but adding the biting sarcasm just sealed the deal in making her probably my favorite. Reminded me of girls I could actually relate to growing up, like Daria, Jane Lane and parts of Ghost World.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nri2lG-u4yQ

"Her victory is nearer,
Her plan couldn't be clearer,
Now she lies to her gems and cages people in mirrors?

Oh Lapis, I don't think that's funny."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, so does Stevonnie have their own temple room?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Only if they enter it.

Edit: Good lord if this spoiler is real...

POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Only if they enter it.

Edit: Good lord if this spoiler is real...

POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS

:laffo:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Connie doesn't have a gem, which might muddle it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Macaluso posted:

I have kind of an ambivalent feeling, largely because I was really looking forward to seeing Garnet nerd out over Smoky Quartz after seeing the promo, and then the episode turns out to be "the story of how Pearl and Garnet got together to ruin that beautiful moment."

The moral is that promos are terrible. Don't watch them!

ShrewdOrganMerchant
Apr 26, 2008

Please stop doing that.
One thing I'm still not really sure about is whether there are "naturally occurring" Garnets, Opals, and the like, or if those gems only exist through fusion. I mean, I assume they're unique, but I don't think that's ever been addressed?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I can't imagine they would, any more than Peridot or Lapis would. Unless there's some mechanism to add gems to the gem door, I'm getting the impression that it was created for the "original" 5 gems explicitly, so anyone from outside fused with them would just get into whoever the original's door is-- so stevonnie would probably just get the rose door, Lapis+Amethyst would get Amethyst's trash heap, etc.

e: Regarding the Know Your Gem episode itself, Sardoynx kind of grated but I get the impression that was literally the point, and having a Garnet+Pearl combo making a mistake and learning their lesson is a pretty nice inversion on the way those things usually play out, especially when it's both "she's making it about her" and "she wasn't actually listening to what Smokey was telling her, that the yo-yo actually is their unique ability and not just a random toy".

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 12, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Does Sugar have some weird OITNB connection to get these VAs?

The connection is "literally the only two shows on television right now hiring large numbers of minority women. "

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

One thing I'm still not really sure about is whether there are "naturally occurring" Garnets, Opals, and the like, or if those gems only exist through fusion. I mean, I assume they're unique, but I don't think that's ever been addressed?

I'm pretty sure fusions would create completely unique Gems. I'm wondering if things in the Gem hierarchy and society used to be different regarding fusion, or if Rose Quartz did a ton of experimenting and research to make her own fusion chart or something, because the Amethyst half of Smoky Quartz knew what an Amethyst and a Rose Quartz would make when combined. If fusion was entirely banned and forbidden and Garnet existing was totally unprecedented, she'd never know what she was.

I wonder if fusion used to be a regular thing in Gem society? The Diamonds and their ban on fusion may have come later, after a time when fusion was common and extensively known among Gems.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If every fusion between two different gems is unique it would explain why Homeworld doesn't like them. Every gem has a purpose from the instant it comes out of the ground. Fusions (between two different gems) have no purpose, no assigned caste inside the regimented Homeworld system.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Steven Universe S4: Footage Provided By Cartoon Network

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Since we know that gem materials like peridotite exist separate from Peridots, I'd say that Gem castes are named after existing gem types, and the fusions just name themselves after an existing gem that isn't taken and seems appropriate.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The connection is "literally the only two shows on television right now hiring large numbers of minority women. "

Yes but you see Steven Universe is a little uh shall we say, problematic about racial diversity in its cartoon cast :colbert:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I think I've heard that complaint before in regards to Steven. Specifically I think people were attacking Ian on twitter about it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Right before the new episode we have a new thread for y'all
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786357

I'm sure I made like a billion spelling mistakes.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Peridot gets crushed by a boulder and is fine, Lapis gets stepped on once and cracks.

I assume gems are more vulnerable when they're poofed?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
New thread means more tears of the last one was any indicator :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love this stupid show made by gay idiots for gay idiots.

Seriously we just went from Steven dealing with a genuine moral crisis as he finds out his mother straight up killed a lady, ending with him floating in a bubble in space about to die after seeing that there are some enemies he can't just hug his problems out with...and it ends with a Loony Tunes tribute and a talk show...

This is the best show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New thread means this one closes. Goodbye crazy thread.

• Locked thread