Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I prefer this look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Just marathoned season one with my sister. Here's the stuff stood out to me:

There is a (non-crying) breakfast friend on the tv in the background of episode one
The bottom totem in Maximum Capacity is Jasper.
I want to see what the deal is with the Crystal Heart and how it relates to the rest of the crystal anatomy.
I want to see more Ronaldo because he is the best.
What happens if two of the same gems fuse?
What's the deal with that bismuth.
Suitcase Sam?
I love how Peridot is just perpetually annoyed, I hope she makes lots of moose friends.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

I don't think that Ruby and Sapphire are children, I think they're just short people.

I do think Pearl is a big ol' nanny, though.

We probably will see some 'age as experience' differentiators in the show, though. Moreso than Steven. I mean, Jasper calls Lapis a 'brat', which is basically only used for people younger than you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
why is lapis so op

Even Jasper, the muscle from homeworld, just headbutted people. lapis is just one gem and she can control the whole drat ocean

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Acne Rain posted:

why is lapis so op

Even Jasper, the muscle from homeworld, just headbutted people. lapis is just one gem and she can control the whole drat ocean

Well you don't have to fight her by the planet's largest body of water....

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Acne Rain posted:

why is lapis so op

Not a whole lotta places with oceans in the universe though

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

How do these things never die? :psyduck:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

jodai posted:

Not a stupid post. Greg is great and even though I like the song in House Guest, it's an episode that makes him seem too selfish and dopey. He's the kind of guy who has a lot of deep feelings and thoughts but expresses them simply. He's accidentally Zen.

I approve of the Greg posts! He's an excellent character. I'm okay with House Guest showing that he too is human and makes the occasional bad decision (and that Steven's able to call him on it), considering how many episodes show him being a just downright excellent dad.

He's come a long way from his intro (via Amethyst): "Your dads kind of a mess, Steven."

Re: Growing up and better understanding the context of your family outside of their family roles, Steven's conversation with Greg in The Return really spells it out (and clearly opens Stevens eyes)... (bolded some bits for emphasis)...

Greg: These other Gems aren't like you're mother. They're not like Garnet, Amethyst or Pearl. They're not going to start caring about people now. They didn't the first time they...

Steven: The first time they what?

Greg: I mean it was thousands of years ago. It's, it's not like I was there. The Gems should be telling you all this stuff, but, I get it, I mean... they don't want you thinking of them like that.

Steven: Like what? ... Dad, like what?!

Greg: Like ALIENS, Steven! Aliens who invaded Earth.

Steven: What?

Greg: All they do is try to make up for it, but they just can't forgive themselves. Do you understand? Look, they were doing something awful to the planet and your mother couldn't stand it any more. She told me that's why she had to turn on her own kind. She gave up everything just to stop what they started here and drive the remaining Gems off of Earth.

Steven: So, she saved the world, that's good!

Greg: No such thing as a good war, kiddo. Gems were destroyed. People too. In the end your mother could only save a handful of her closest friends. If it weren't for her shield, man, I dunno.

Greg: But hey, let's look on the bright side, we're gonna drive by that waffle place in a couple miles.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

How do these things never die? :psyduck:

Man, I can hear the voices and music in my head perfectly.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Noticing a distinct lack of Onion in the OP Waffleman...

Lars, Sadie and Renaldo are also probably deserving of some love.

Jack Gladney posted:

That's one of the show's strengths though: the story's told from Steven's point of view just as he enters the phase of childhood where you go from just thoughtlessly accepting everything around you to beginning to put the pieces together. We only learn about things as Steven thinks to ask about them or realizes them, like how when you're a kid you just accept that the adults around you are your uncle or your mom or whatever, but then you get a little older and begin to realize that part of what that means is that your uncle is your mother's brother and they grew up together and had lives before you were born. Or if your mom isn't around, it means something happened to her in the past and it's not just a simple fact of life. Like, the deep history of the show is tied up in Steven's growth and for the longest time we were just getting the barest hints of his situation and the reasons for it.

As some people said earlier, a great summary of that was Greg in the car talking about the gem war, because it has been implicit in so much of what Steven has seen and done, but he just took so much of it for granted in that way that kids do that he was bowled over to have everything explained to him directly.

I agree this actually, but I think this approach could have been executed better early on. A few little things in the first episode like showing Steven in his room to establish that he's their family or having a small bit of exposition to explain that the gems are just cleaning up old homeworld nonsense rather than fighting the minions of some major supervillain would have gone a long way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I considered putting Lars and Sadie in, and Ronaldo may be worth mentioning for KBCW, but Onion's only had one major role in an episode. He's background gags and I don't really feel like he deserves a spot in the OP.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

http://greerby.tumblr.com/post/113753437412/someone-in-the-tag-i-cant-find-the-post-now

quote:

someone in the tag said reverse au where steven is yellow diamond’s son and this trio gets roped into raising him instead and I SCREAMED

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I considered putting Lars and Sadie in, and Ronaldo may be worth mentioning for KBCW, but Onion's only had one major role in an episode. He's background gags and I don't really feel like he deserves a spot in the OP.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You need to face the facts that Onion is a tertiary character.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you misspelled terrifying

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I really appreciate that this show has emotionally mature characters like Greg and Garnet to anchor things. Sometime shows go overboard making everyone a flawed ~dramatic~ character, and the whole cast ends up off balance and just sort of awkward in their development. Greg's a great example, because he's so obviously limited, and yet is still this unique source of strength and support.

I also really, really enjoy the character development that Greg has gotten with regards to his music. He's not just some slob that plays crap music because he's a delusional loser. He has a real passion for it, has gotten better over his lifetime (just compare his latest song to "drive into my heart"), and has passed his passion for music onto his son, who's become a pretty good musician in his own right.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

You need to face the facts that Onion is a tertiary character.

He's had one more episode where's he's the main antagonist than Yellow Diamond, and she's in the OP :colbert:

There also is no excuse for not having Lars and Sadie. They've had multiple episodes centered around them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yellow Diamond has actual plot relevance. :colbert:

And yeah, I'm gonna put Lars and Sadie in in the next couple days.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I was doing some wiki-diving on gems and learned an interesting tidbit:

Amethysts are found in all sorts of places, but the wiki article specifically mentioned Delaware County, Pennsylvania which would be just a short train ride away from Delmarva, the fictional state Steven and the Gems live in. Looking it up, quartzes--of which amethyst is a type--are common in Pennsylvania. If the theory that the kindergardens were established in mineral-rich sites is true and that there's multiples of a Gem, there may have been an abundance of Amethysts at hers :).

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Hope they make a new opening theme as the new Gems become more prominent. If only because I want to see rapping Peridot and death metal Jasper.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mercury Hat posted:

I was doing some wiki-diving on gems and learned an interesting tidbit:

Amethysts are found in all sorts of places, but the wiki article specifically mentioned Delaware County, Pennsylvania which would be just a short train ride away from Delmarva, the fictional state Steven and the Gems live in. Looking it up, quartzes--of which amethyst is a type--are common in Pennsylvania. If the theory that the kindergardens were established in mineral-rich sites is true and that there's multiples of a Gem, there may have been an abundance of Amethysts at hers :).
I really like the idea that this massively important Gem area that was used to create Gems and that could spell doom for Earth if it was ever reactivated is just in loving Pennsylvania a state over.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's almost difficult for me to express how much I like Jasper already. I'm normally immune to "oh boy, this character showed up in one episode!"-itis.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I am working on something,
(im horrible at coloring and i use Gimp so this might take awhile.)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think someone requested these avatars in the last thread:

A little bigger

And together

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I'm rewatching the show from the beginning and at the end of Steven's Lion there's this exchange:

Pearl: Are we really going to let him keep that?

Garnet: We kept Amethyst.

Nice bit of ninja foreshadowing there :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You know what else is foreshadowing that was there the whole time?

Look on the left. Two shooting stars.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Holy poo poo...
You loving rock, dude. I don't recall anyone specifically requesting this one so I'm gonna call dibs, but if they did in the old thread and I missed it, they can take it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To go back to a conversation from way earlier, In rewatching the recent episodes, I think it's pretty clear that when Ruby says "I can't see" she's referring to the fact that she's not used to having future vision. Before she says the line she closes her eyes in concentration and puts her hands near where her third eye would be, so I think it's safe to say she's probably not blind.

Also the whole fact that they were willing to go there with Ruby and Sapphire puts the whole Pearl and Rose thing back into question. Rewatching that episode when Pearl talks about Rose she blushes alot and the whole thing at least raises questions. I'm not even saying they had anything, just that Pearl's feelings for Rose might have gone deeper than the other Gems, even if she could never fully admit it to anybody.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

Holy poo poo...

You loving rock, dude. I don't recall anyone specifically requesting this one so I'm gonna call dibs, but if they did in the old thread and I missed it, they can take it.

I think the person in the last thread just wanted general shots of the gems in the opening. They also wanted all those other avs so if you take that one they will have the others to choose from.

I can't promise I won't take you're current av if you get rid of it though. Well, either that or the crocodile one which I TOTALLY still have dibs on.

And yeah, if anyone has a specific av request, just ask and I may or may not make it depending on how I'm feeling. I don't like just doing generla stuff. At one point in the AT thread I just made a bunch of stuff from any given episode and after awhile I found that oddly exhausting.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

You know what else is foreshadowing that was there the whole time?

Look on the left. Two shooting stars.

Another fun detail I noticed. Garnet has two star slots on the temple door in Together Breakfast:

Unrelated: If somebody could make me a looping gif avatar of the dubstep strawberry going back and forth I'd be your best friend forever.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Does anyone mind if I claim this one?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Unrelated: If somebody could make me a looping gif avatar of the dubstep strawberry going back and forth I'd be your best friend forever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If the temple is in America, doesn't that mean that the crystal gems spent the better part of the last 5,000 years there? They would've seen entire civilizations mostly unknown to modern historians come and go. I wonder what they thought of the colonization and the massacres and waves of horrible disease?

I guess it's lucky for humanity that the diseases of mostly-inorganic lifeforms don't transfer much to terrestrial physiology.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Nice! Would it be possible to make it so that Steven's expression doesn't change at the very end?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

readingatwork posted:

Another fun detail I noticed. Garnet has two star slots on the temple door in Together Breakfast:

Notice the red gem is the one with the square facet?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

I think the person in the last thread just wanted general shots of the gems in the opening. They also wanted all those other avs so if you take that one they will have the others to choose from.

I can't promise I won't take you're current av if you get rid of it though. Well, either that or the crocodile one which I TOTALLY still have dibs on.
Cool. Yeah, taking my current one is totally fine. Someone made another one in the old thread that was more zoomed out and had Garnet in it. If you want, here it is

`
Jazz Hands Amethyst is pretty great too, and out of context it's just loving bizarre.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Nice! Would it be possible to make it so that Steven's expression doesn't change at the very end?

Yeah, that's easy because all I have to do is delete a few frames:

Edit:
If you still want the lost pause at the begining

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 16, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

Cool. Yeah, taking my current one is totally fine. Someone made another one in the old thread that was more zoomed out and had Garnet in it. If you want, here it is

`
Jazz Hands Amethyst is pretty great too, and out of context it's just loving bizarre.

Yeah, I'll either take this one with the caption "SUBTEXT" or the Crocodile one with the caption "Congratulations America. You're addicted to crocodile...Jazz Hand". I just need to wait for my new job to start up (or to randomly get a avatar certificate)

Edit: sorry for the double post.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 16, 2015

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, that's easy because all I have to do is delete a few frames:

Edit:
If you still want the lost pause at the begining

Thanks! This is perfect and you are awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Mercury Hat posted:

which would be just a short train ride away from Delmarva, the fictional state Steven and the Gems live in.

While this is a pretty cool thing, as an aside, "Delmarva" just refers to the peninsula on the Eastern half of the Chesapeake Bay. Del-mar-va is short for Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Beach City is a lot like a tinier version of Rehoboth, DE, which as I just found out includes neighboring Dewey Beach :3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

If the temple is in America, doesn't that mean that the crystal gems spent the better part of the last 5,000 years there?
Maybe, but I like to imagine the gems were all over the place; warps and all that. At the very least, though, they were with pirates doing pirate things, which means Europe and its colonies in like the 17th century.

• Locked thread