Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

EccoRaven posted:

While this is a pretty cool thing, as an aside, "Delmarva" just refers to the peninsula on the Eastern half of the Chesapeake Bay. Del-mar-va is short for Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Beach City is a lot like a tinier version of Rehoboth, DE, which as I just found out includes neighboring Dewey Beach :3:

Delmarva has been confirmed as its own state in-universe by Rebecca Sugar in an AMA. It's part of the whole "this takes place on Earth, in America, but Gems being here made history weird" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Well that's interesting! Thanks for clarifying.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Unrelated to anything: All the Steven's in my last post are slightly out of sync and the effect is kind of eerie.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay, so earlier in the thread someone posted that in “Maximum Capacity” there’s a totem pole with Jasper's face on it in Greg’s garage. So I rewatched the episode and this is what found:

That’s defiantly Jasper's Gem nose (and crazy smile), but the skin color is wrong. Also, the totem has four arms. I don’t think that’s Jasper, but rather a depiction of Jasper fused with another gem.

The totem above it also looks like a fusion. I'm not sure which gems are involved (it has six arms though so I think there are at least three of them), but I do I know that Rose is one them because A) It has pink hair B)If you look at the totem from another angle you can see that it’s holding Rose’s shield.

What does it meeeeeean? :tinfoil:

Edit: I was so caught up in the gem totem conspiracy that I didn't notice the obvious animation error until just now. In the first shot the Rose totem has nothing in her arms, in the next shot she's holding a bunch of Greg's stuff.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 16, 2015

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Now I want to see an episode where Jasper comes back and joins the Beach City Underground Wrestling organization so she can beat up Tiger Millionaire and The Purple Puma. She can force Peridot to be her tag team partner.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The totem above it also looks like a fusion. I'm not sure which gems are involved (it has six arms though so I think there are at least three of them), but I do I know that Rose is one them because A) It has pink hair B)If you look at the totem from another angle you can see that it’s holding Rose’s shield.

And the top one there is the blackbird from Giant Woman, isn't it?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pick posted:

It's almost difficult for me to express how much I like Jasper already. I'm normally immune to "oh boy, this character showed up in one episode!"-itis.
Big
Buff
Cheeto
Puff ...these rule as a set.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I've been looking at that totem above the Rose one, trying to figure out if we've seen that one. At first I was thinking it might be the Centipeedle, but a buddy of mine pointed out some similarities to the bird from "Giant Woman."

I think I'm gonna throw my vote into that pile.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Rhonne posted:

Now I want to see an episode where Jasper comes back and joins the Beach City Underground Wrestling organization so she can beat up Tiger Millionaire and The Purple Puma. She can force Peridot to be her tag team partner.

Orange Ocelot and the Green Meanie.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Waffleman_ posted:

You know what else is foreshadowing that was there the whole time?

Look on the left. Two shooting stars.

One thing I remembered from Steven and the Stevens, at the end when Steven and the Crystal Gems sing their song, Garnet is playing a keytar, essentially a combo of two instruments.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

axleblaze posted:

I think someone requested these avatars in the last thread:

Anyone claimed this one?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

nerdman42 posted:

I've been looking at that totem above the Rose one, trying to figure out if we've seen that one. At first I was thinking it might be the Centipeedle, but a buddy of mine pointed out some similarities to the bird from "Giant Woman."

I think I'm gonna throw my vote into that pile.

I also thought it was the centipeetle at first, but the color scheme is a bit off and the mouth is a little different so I didn't post about it. You're totally right about it looking more like the bird from giant woman, and speaking of giant woman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezRq1x4lfos

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Edit: I was so caught up in the gem totem conspiracy that I didn't notice the obvious animation error until just now. In the first shot the Rose totem has nothing in her arms, in the next shot she's holding a bunch of Greg's stuff.

Giant Bird that ate all the Gems is on top, Rose fused with the other Crystal Gems in the center(which is also the Gem's base with the rose curls), and Jasper (or Malachite) on the bottom. Speaking of Malachite I noticed a lot of people theorized that Centipetles Mother's gem was that. I don't know if anyone thought it was Jade or Emerald, but I'm also not big on what other green gems/crystals there are.

Am I the only one who thinks that Connie's ring tone sounds like the opening song sped up a bit?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Okay, so earlier in the thread someone posted that in “Maximum Capacity” there’s a totem pole with Jasper's face on it in Greg’s garage. So I rewatched the episode and this is what found:

That’s defiantly Jasper's Gem nose (and crazy smile), but the skin color is wrong. Also, the totem has four arms. I don’t think that’s Jasper, but rather a depiction of Jasper fused with another gem.

It's got Rose's sword and shield.
The face kind of reminds me of the temple (the lower face).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

KungFu Grip posted:

Speaking of Malachite I noticed a lot of people theorized that Centipetles Mother's gem was that. I don't know if anyone thought it was Jade or Emerald, but I'm also not big on what other green gems/crystals there are.

I'm really hoping her name ends up being Onyx. Most people think of Onyx as being black (and lots of it is), but it can also be other colors including green.

Also, her gem is shaped like a pokeball.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I know people didn't really respond well to the whole 'maybe Rose isn't perfect' thing I said in the previous thread, but I was discussing it with other people, and I think the whole Lapis thing ties in really well with why Rose would have failed to heal the monster-gems?

It takes a little bit of assumption, but me and my friend figure that Rose isn't the type to really imprison Lapis knowing she was there unless there was a reason - and there is a good reason, obvious from when Lapis escapes - she's not a Crystal Gem. The other Gems honestly don't know what Lapis is like. I could 100% see Rose keeping Lapis around in the mirror and not healing her because she's afraid Lapis would be an enemy, and there'd be another battle from it.

Then look at the monster gems. I'm sure some of them are former allies, but wouldn't some also be former enemies? Maybe Rose couldn't memorize every single gem, so her own hesitation made her unable to heal them - look at Steven, he fears that his healing powers aren't working and they stop doing so. Self doubt is a big thing for him, what if fear is what makes her unable to do things?

But Steven isn't afraid of them, so far. He wasn't afraid of Lapis, and he's so kind and his whole character is that he cares for everyone. Steven will eventually manage to heal them where Rose couldn't in thousands of years, because he's not afraid that they'll be evil and try to kill him.

I dunno. I'd really prefer for it to come down to Steven being special and able to do what his mom couldn't because he's innocent and trusting, instead of some kind of 'oh being a gem-human hybrid makes him special' thing.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Are...are people seriously expecting Rose to not be as amazing as she's made out to be? That seems like a pretty basic story thing.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

Action Shakespeare posted:

Are...are people seriously expecting Rose to not be as amazing as she's made out to be? That seems like a pretty basic story thing.

She will have some flaw, but be amazing indeed.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
We find out during a tearful confession by the Mayor that Rose never paid any of her parking fines.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The stuff about Steven coming to terms with his mom as a person, who did things, instead of a mythical figure who was just beautiful and mysterious and perfect is the kind of thing this show loves to do. Filter a normal experience about growing up (realizing your parents are people, like you, with their own problems and mistakes) through a bunch of weird sci-fi/fantasy elements (she led a faction in a messy war and a bunch of other stuff I'm sure).

They'll absolutely do that stuff. It seems like something Season 2 might be getting into. And it's necessary for us to understand what she and the other Crystal Gems were fighting for, and how far they were willing to go to do that, if we're going to see Homeworld become more relevant too.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

Well that's interesting! Thanks for clarifying.

Also, so that this isn't just a thing about "well in an obscure thing on the internet somewhere, the creator of the show said...": In one of the episodes when Renaldo was freaking out about something, he said the phrase "the entire state of Delmarva!"

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

No such thing as good war, kiddo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Action Shakespeare posted:

Koos Goop posted:

She will have some flaw, but be amazing indeed.

Weird sense of humor.
She married Greg.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Falling for Greg is the furthest thing from a flaw. He is a wonderful human being.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
All this Jasper/Steven stuff makes me ill

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Falling for Greg is the furthest thing from a flaw. He is a wonderful human being.

Yeah, like he's a bum, but I'd kill to have him as a dad.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
He is kind of the opposite of your usual cartoon dad in that he is emotionally available while not being a complete goofball.

Normally, you either have the workaholic or the wacky one, Grey is a very welcome alternative.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Teek posted:

One thing I remembered from Steven and the Stevens, at the end when Steven and the Crystal Gems sing their song, Garnet is playing a keytar, essentially a combo of two instruments.

I love this hint.

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

axleblaze posted:

I think someone requested these avatars in the last thread:

I requested these. Thanks tons! Very nice of you :)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ocean Gem.

Pearl says "I hate fighting me!"

A reference to the holo-Pearl impalement, or an indication of multiple Pearls existing?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

7thBatallion posted:

Anyone claimed this one?

Take it before I do.

The ruby and Sapphire fusion was adorable :3:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mercury Hat posted:

I was doing some wiki-diving on gems and learned an interesting tidbit:

Amethysts are found in all sorts of places, but the wiki article specifically mentioned Delaware County, Pennsylvania which would be just a short train ride away from Delmarva, the fictional state Steven and the Gems live in. Looking it up, quartzes--of which amethyst is a type--are common in Pennsylvania. If the theory that the kindergardens were established in mineral-rich sites is true and that there's multiples of a Gem, there may have been an abundance of Amethysts at hers :).

Hah, I can't believe I didn't think of that, it's totally true. My mom and dad were/are both nature buffs and casual gemhounds, there's huge chunks of quartz all over our backyard that my dad has dug up over the years, and my mom has a whole bunch of big amethysts she's found. There's an artificial lake near our house, too, which means another area where the earth was totally upheaved, and there's so much quartz just laying around there, sticking up out of the ground, whatever. You stick down your hand into the lakebed and grab a rock, it's just as likely to be a big chunk of quartz as any other boringer brown/gray rock.

Yeah, if you wanted quartz this'd be the place to get it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Ditocoaf posted:

In one of the episodes when Renaldo was freaking out about something, he said the phrase "the entire state of Delmarva!"

Someone should update the wiki then because I actually checked it before posting just in case something exactly like that had happened and I had just missed it, haha.

Still, being from "Delmarva" I really love a lot of the little things that remind me of trips to the beach as a kid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ronaldo has also mentioned Delmarva in KBCW.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Rose quartz flaws:
Awful taste in music
Goofy sense of humor
Maybe kept too many secrets

Also, I really love how obvious it is that it's set in Delmarva. :3: KBCW mentions it a lot, too. It reminds me of trips to Delaware and Rehoboth and Ocean City as a kid.

have the best possible fusion

http://kitpocket.tumblr.com/post/113579412942/im-were-im-pretty-youre-always

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 16, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Any Rose/Greg fusion would have an insanely unmanageable volume of hair, way more than in that pic. :colbert:

Genuine Fake
Oct 2, 2004
Did anyone else notice in Full Disclosure that Lion flew away half a second before Greg's van showed up?

Has Greg ever seen Lion?

I don't go in for the whole "Lion is Rose" theory, but that doesn't necessarily fit in well with my "Lion is a subconscious manifestation of Steven's power" theory.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

pksage posted:

Any Rose/Greg fusion would have an insanely unmanageable volume of hair, way more than in that pic. :colbert:

Agreed

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Did anyone else notice in Full Disclosure that Lion flew away half a second before Greg's van showed up?

Has Greg ever seen Lion?

I don't go in for the whole "Lion is Rose" theory, but that doesn't necessarily fit in well with my "Lion is a subconscious manifestation of Steven's power" theory.

In Ocean Gem he does. I think he recognizes Lion too, but someone hushes him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Holy_Zarquon posted:

Has Greg ever seen Lion?

Yeah, Greg recognized Lion in Ocean Gem saying, "You?" when he saw it. Then Lion ran along side Greg's van as they journeyed to Lapis.

• Locked thread