Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Teek posted:

That was the first run through Rebecca Sugar did so they could get the timing for the animation.

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-liu/stronger-than-you-demo

The thing that's awesome about these demos is what it says about the production process and how they make this stuff work. As typical in western animation, they animate against the audio track to get lip sync, etc to work correctly. In this case (at least based on my parsing of the following blog posts) they prototyped a song to work with the storyboards of the scene, got a recorded voice track from Estelle against that prototype, did final animation and timing against that, then (possibly in parallel?) Aivi and Surrashu assembled the final song around that. And we get this amazingly choreographed fight scene that I keep watching over and over...

http://rebeccasugar.tumblr.com/post/113529840238

Jeff Liu posted:

Here’s the demo I arranged for Stronger Than You! Rebecca wrote and recorded the vocal and omnichord tracks, and I put everything else together in Logic. We used this track to figure out the timing for the action sequence and for Estelle to sing to. Aivi and Surasshu then made it a billion times more awesome for the final version!!

Rebecca Sugar posted:

The Stronger Than You DEMO! By me & Jeff Liu!

Jeff was helping me figure out this rhythm that I couldn’t quite pin down, you can hear me tapping it out on the table in the background of this track!

http://waltzforluma.tumblr.com/post/113497375116

Surrashu posted:

This definitely qualifies as a career highlight for me! The song was composed by Rebecca Sugar, and an initial demo arrangement was made by Jeff Liu, which Estelle sang over. Estelle is one of my favorite modern R&B singers, so this was a daunting and yet enticing proposition to arrange.

Taking Jeff’s arrangement as a guideline, we really wanted to emphasize the euphoria of Garnet being reformed. Rebecca told us to capture the feeling of “there’s no way she could lose”. I also felt that the new Garnet design warranted a new Garnet bass sound (for those of you keeping score: where Pearl is piano, Garnet is represented by synthbass), so this was a great opportunity to showcase it. I also felt like the bridge needed a synth solo, so I went all out on this one!

Aivi did a fantastic job adding to this arrangement by making the string sections magical (especially at the end when the song turns dramatic) which were then beautifully performed by Jeff Ball. Everybody did such a great job with this song, and I’m extremely proud of the final result.

Thank you all for watching the season finale! Tune in tomorrow for Full Disclosure!

Aivi posted:

Rebecca’s lyrics for “Stronger Than You” resonated deeply with me when we were working on this episode. The feeling of being more than the sum of your parts when you love someone and work together, of creating something that expresses your love, joy, and everything that you both believe in—this is entirely how I feel when I’m making music with surasshu.

“I am their patience, I am their fury, I am a conversation, I am made of love.”

So much respect and admiration for Rebecca, Estelle, Jeff, and Jeff! And I can’t say this enough—I’m so proud of my amazing partner. ♥

Quinton fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I will say that Steven Universe tends to shine in ways that we forget or don't notice, the soundtrack being one of the best but most easily overlooked qualities of the show. The sound, generally--really really excellent.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Why Greg?" is this show's greatest mystery, and not because he isn't a catch. In five thousand years, it's hard to believe nobody else with charms like his came along, so something else must have precipitated Rose's decision to have a child.

Maybe it's because she realized what she had been trying wasn't working.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

http://keepbeachcityweird.tumblr.com/ It's the most up to do parafactual account of what's REALLY going on in Steven Universe!

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
"I'm hungry..."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

"Why Greg?" is this show's greatest mystery, and not because he isn't a catch. In five thousand years, it's hard to believe nobody else with charms like his came along, so something else must have precipitated Rose's decision to have a child.

Maybe it's because she realized what she had been trying wasn't working.

I can believe that no one she met before Greg looked as hopeless on the surface with as much inner beauty. Seeing the beauty where no one else could was kind of her thing and he's an embodiment of that.

I do feel Steven is more of Rose's ultimate expression for her love of humanity than anything else. Steven is her giving up her life because she was so sure that combining a gem with a human would create something better than herself.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

axleblaze posted:

I do feel Steven is more of Rose's ultimate expression for her love of humanity than anything else. Steven is her giving up her life because she was so sure that combining a gem with a human would create something better than herself.

Along these lines, I suspect that Rose could have had a child without up giving up her existence, but could not have gifted that child her gem (and powers) otherwise.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Roses speech in Lion: 3 is a lot cooler/makes a lot more sense once you know that gems are mass produced.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, let's unpack this. Amethyst didn't "choose" anything, being born after earth was cut off, so she's out. Pearl was obviously in the rebellion for personal reasons. Garnet was definitely listening to what Rose was saying about love because she sang that whole song about it, and she was also the one who considered Greg's feelings when the others were panicking after "The Message" which hints at her priorities, but consider also her dismissive attitude towards the Pizza family earlier.

They still have a lot to learn about humans, but Steven is teaching them.

Connie will change that because if she's hurt Steven would be devastated. The gems don't always understand people but they understand love.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Quinton posted:

Along these lines, I suspect that Rose could have had a child without up giving up her existence, but could not have gifted that child her gem (and powers) otherwise.

I've been rewatching the series and thinking about what the "corrupted" gems are, and a lot of thoughts like this have been occurring to me. I think what you say is almost surely true, at least to some extent.

Hell, in the very first episode we already see an example of this. The gems are fighting what they think are baby gem creatures, and are surprised to realize they don't have gems in them. Garnet then surmises there must be a "mother" gem somewhere near by. There are a bunch of instances of this, where we see a whole bunch of the same gem monster, or a main gem monster with a bunch of babies.

Corrupted gems seem to have some process of limited reproduction they do by intermingling with the native flora & fauna of Earth, sorta like Steven's Melon Babies. And they seem to be doing it a lot. However, these non-gem "children" aren't proper beings of their own, and sometimes even just disappear when killed.

Going a bit further into speculation zone... once I started to think about it, with all the corrupted gems living with animals, as animals, I started I think that Rose probably wasn't the first gem to properly breed with a earthbound creature.

This could tie into the "Why Greg, Why Now?" question - she was the one doing research into corrupt gems, right? Maybe she found a corrupt gem who had fully bred with an native creature and passed down its gem, something none of the gems had even realized was even possible before.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 16, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Teek posted:

The official Tumblr highlighted a full, free download for the current soundtrack for the show:

removed

A whopping 123 tracks of BGM, songs, demos and alternate takes. Essentially a giant compilation of all the content that's been posted by them on different Soundcloud accounts.

I know this is from the last page, but it could use clarification. That's not the official Tumblr for the show, which you can tell because it regularly links to full episodes on shady streaming sites. There are actually two official blogs: the Crewniverse (behind the scenes) and Keep Beach City Weird (Ronaldo's in-universe blog). That download link is also definitely :filez: since none of the tracks have ever been officially been released for download, only streaming (though ripping from SoundCloud and Tumblr is fairly easy with the Firefox and Chrome web developer tools if you know where to look).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

Connie will change that because if she's hurt Steven would be devastated. The gems don't always understand people but they understand love.

That's something that's been abundantly clear on a rewatch. There's so much of humanity, and human culture, that just baffles them; but watching their reactions to Steven talking about meeting Connie, and bringing her home for the first time... they just get it, immediately & fully, even more than Steven. They may not understand food, or school, or jobs, or aging, or why Rose liked Greg specifically, or maybe not even parenting, but romantic relationships in general? That's their fuckin' jam.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

JT Jag posted:

If Rose Quartz really is the brilliant, visionary leader everyone who knew her says she was, then honestly her giving everything up for love... doesn't make sense. There's no way Rose Quartz simply left her followers behind on a whim.

I'm starting to think that not only did she fall in love with Earth, and with Greg, but making Steven was a deliberate gambit on her part, be it for the sake of giving the Gems a better chance should the war reignite (and the fact that Steven is resistant to anti-Gem technology is the first sign of this) or perhaps as a potential avenue to create new Gems that doesn't require destroying entire planets. Time will tell.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Steven is the Christ figure.

To expand on this: Rose is/was the figure representing the Old Testament God, with regards to taking an active hand in the activities and pursuits of Gems on Earth. However, her efforts could not prevent the deaths of many gems in the resultant war, nor could she bring harmony to the gems (or humanity?), so she gave up her physical form in favour of a half-gem/half-human whose growth amongst humanity may allow for the gems to fully appreciate the wider perspective that they're missing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Mr.Radar posted:

I know this is from the last page, but it could use clarification. That's not the official Tumblr for the show, which you can tell because it regularly links to full episodes on shady streaming sites. There are actually two official blogs: the Crewniverse (behind the scenes) and Keep Beach City Weird (Ronaldo's in-universe blog). That download link is also definitely :filez: since none of the tracks have ever been officially been released for download, only streaming (though ripping from SoundCloud and Tumblr is fairly easy with the Firefox and Chrome web developer tools if you know where to look).

You're correct, the re-blog I saw said it was the official one, but looking at it now, it was a fan site.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Teek posted:

You're correct, the re-blog I saw said it was the official one, but looking at it now, it was a fan site.

Yeah, sorry if I come off a bit harsh but lots of people get it confused with the official one (to the point where the Steven Universe reddit had to make a rule forbidding its mention).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I wanna expound more about the idea that corrupted gems are experimenting with gem reproduction.

Take a look, for instance, at the Gem Cave Monster, basically a big drill parasite thing:

Look a bit familiar? No? Well, check out what it did to the cliffside.

Those are the holes from where more little baby drill parasites came out. We got all this info as casual asides, over the course of several episodes, most of which were way before On The Run, so we didn't know about Kindergartens yet... but taken as a whole itseems pretty clear that this corrupted gem is trying to turn itself into a Kindergarten. Either that, or it was a Kindergarten machine to begin with and has become corrupted? Which has even weird connotations?

Its gem even looks like a virus:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

axleblaze posted:

I think someone requested these avatars in the last thread:

Right. I'm having issues uploading this, SA calls it an invalid image file. Any help?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I wanna expound more about the idea that corrupted gems are experimenting with gem reproduction.

Take a look, for instance, at the Gem Cave Monster, basically a big drill parasite thing:

Look a bit familiar? No? Well, check out what it did to the cliffside.

Those are the holes from where more little baby drill parasites came out. We got all this info as casual asides, over the course of several episodes, most of which were way before On The Run, so we didn't know about Kindergartens yet... but taken as a whole itseems pretty clear that this corrupted gem is trying to turn itself into a Kindergarten. Either that, or it was a Kindergarten machine to begin with and has become corrupted? Which has even weird connotations?

Its gem even looks like a virus:

We know that gems can 'possess' objects when put into them. Maybe that one was put into one the the Kindergarten machines?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I wonder if gems had a sort of evolution of physical bodies. Like, did they start off as humanoid or did their world influence them into a humanoid shape.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
Was watching episodes with the wife and while looking at "Maximum Capacity" the theory was brought up that the cat carrier in Greg's storage unit may have been for Lion when it was smaller.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kilo147 posted:

Right. I'm having issues uploading this, SA calls it an invalid image file. Any help?

Hmmm, when I try putting the original file into the avatar buying thing it seems to work fine. Try renaming the film because sometimes that can mess things up. Also make sure you saved it as a gif.

Just in case I'll reupload it straight using my platinum powers

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Writh posted:

Was watching episodes with the wife and while looking at "Maximum Capacity" the theory was brought up that the cat carrier in Greg's storage unit may have been for Lion when it was smaller.

I want Tiny Lion. I need Tiny Lion. :kimchi:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

SA is having problems with the server that holds Avatar Pictures at the moment. The tech thread has no idea when it will be fixed. :(

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Radium never dies lmao

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jay O posted:

I want Tiny Lion. I need Tiny Lion. :kimchi:

Oh fine.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Pick posted:

Oh fine.

This will tide me over. :3:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

XboxPants posted:

I've been rewatching the series and thinking about what the "corrupted" gems are, and a lot of thoughts like this have been occurring to me. I think what you say is almost surely true, at least to some extent.

Hell, in the very first episode we already see an example of this. The gems are fighting what they think are baby gem creatures, and are surprised to realize they don't have gems in them. Garnet then surmises there must be a "mother" gem somewhere near by. There are a bunch of instances of this, where we see a whole bunch of the same gem monster, or a main gem monster with a bunch of babies.

Corrupted gems seem to have some process of limited reproduction they do by intermingling with the native flora & fauna of Earth, sorta like Steven's Melon Babies. And they seem to be doing it a lot. However, these non-gem "children" aren't proper beings of their own, and sometimes even just disappear when killed.

Going a bit further into speculation zone... once I started to think about it, with all the corrupted gems living with animals, as animals, I started I think that Rose probably wasn't the first gem to properly breed with a earthbound creature.

This could tie into the "Why Greg, Why Now?" question - she was the one doing research into corrupt gems, right? Maybe she found a corrupt gem who had fully bred with an native creature and passed down its gem, something none of the gems had even realized was even possible before.

what if that gem even passed on to a human, and what if that human was onion

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Condiv posted:

what if that gem even passed on to a human, and what if that human was onion

I think we need an emote of Ronaldo in a tinfoil hat.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

XboxPants posted:

Just Ronaldo's head tbh, his dreadlocks instead of the hat

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

quote:

After reading that post confirming Rose literally had to shapeshift a womb capable of reproduction…

Now I’m just imagining her and Greg at the library like studying this stuff and looking up how to make this work and Rose learning about biological motherhood and being so happy and

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 16, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ahahahaha, nailed all three of 'em perfect

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Amazing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

XboxPants posted:

ahahahaha, nailed all three of 'em perfect

JT Jag posted:

Amazing.

Best part is that Ianj has confirmed on tumblr that Rose had to create anatomically correct ladybits to make Steven.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Poor Pearl, humanity is just so gross to her in some many ways. It's like someone with severe neatness based OCD being forced to live in a dumpster.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

XboxPants posted:

i'm sure the show will provide some gifs of that soon enough

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Triskelli posted:

Best part is that Ianj has confirmed on tumblr that Rose had to create anatomically correct ladybits to make Steven.

This is a very sensible topic to bring into this thread about a children's cartoon.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Haha, these are great

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is a very sensible topic to bring into this thread about a children's cartoon.

Yes, because adult humor in children's cartoon and being able to laugh at it without getting all spergy is new and not something that's been around since the dawn of children's cartoons.

Edit: Those pictures were in fact, funny, and got little laughs out of me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well it's something one of the creators that's also a goon brought up himself, so yes I don't see why we wouldn't talk about it.

Listen I've bern with you on it being weird when people bring up fanfiction and shipping but don't be that guy that gets faux offended because of a vague "think of the children reason". Children aren't in thus thread and if they are they can see way worse stuff on this site.,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Hey. Just in case people want ringtones:

http://tindeck.com/users/SquidRadio

Also, working on the Gem Weapon sound effect clips. I'll let you all know when I post them up.

Another thing: Steven as 'The Falcon' would be great, but wouldn't he be a better Captain America with that shield?

• Locked thread