Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It is a very sensible topic to bring into this discussion between mature adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
it's primoman all over again

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

That's a loving lie and you know it.

If basic sex-ed itches your britches, then post more fanart.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

God I love the funny fan art of Steven Universe. :)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So I was relistening/rewatching 'Stronger Than You' for about the two dozenth time when something clicked that I hadn't thought about before. In the second half of the song Garnet sings this:

quote:

And if you think you can stop me, then you need to think again.
Because I am a feeling, and I will never end.
And I won't let you hurt my planet.
And I won't let you hurt my friends.

She refers to Earth as "my planet"; she considers it her home. In contrast as far as I can remember Pearl always refers to Earth as "the" or "this" planet, if not by name, but never claims ownership. And that fits with her reasons for staying, Rose and Rose alone, and that she still harbors fond memories of the Gem Homeworld.

Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but it fits with a lot of other little things that show that Garnet more than anyone understands how Rose felt and what she wanted. So I'd like to believe this was intentional.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

God I love the funny fan art of Steven Universe. :)

how about the not so funny stuff?

axleblaze posted:

Well it's something one of the creators that's also a goon brought up himself, so yes I don't see why we wouldn't talk about it.

Listen I've bern with you on it being weird when people bring up fanfiction and shipping but don't be that guy that gets faux offended because of a vague "think of the children reason". Children aren't in thus thread and if they are they can see way worse stuff on this site.,

goons are weird about sex at the best of times, let alone when we're talking about a children's cartoon. time and place (and never invite me to the place)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Who What Now posted:

So I was relistening/rewatching 'Stronger Than You' for about the two dozenth time when something clicked that I hadn't thought about before. In the second half of the song Garnet sings this:

She refers to Earth as "my planet"; she considers it her home. In contrast as far as I can remember Pearl always refers to Earth as "the" or "this" planet, if not by name, but never claims ownership. And that fits with her reasons for staying, Rose and Rose alone, and that she still harbors fond memories of the Gem Homeworld.

Maybe I'm overanalyzing this, but it fits with a lot of other little things that show that Garnet more than anyone understands how Rose felt and what she wanted. So I'd like to believe this was intentional.
I like this. But I also wonder if "shameful displays" like garnet are be treated worse on gem homeworld than "defective pearls".

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm surprised I recognized this walk cycle.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

I like this. But I also wonder if "shameful displays" like garnet are be treated worse on gem homeworld than "defective pearls".

I think Gems just don't really see the point in love. They reproduce asexually so there's no biological reason for gems to want that kind of thing. It's possible it didn't even occur to Jasper that Ruby and Saphire were combined because they love each other. In fact she's confused when they bother to come back together. I think the shamelessness she's referring to is what she explains later (that it's just two weak gems trying to look strong).

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

senae posted:

Well, I :aaaaa:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, working on the Gem Weapon sound effect clips. I'll let you all know when I post them up.
:worship:
The sound of Garnet making her gauntlets is super visceral. Makes me wanna punch things.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

senae posted:

That's good stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In the not too distant future,
An alternate history,
There's a city on the Delmarva shore,
Run by a guy that's named Dewey

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
i don't get the fanarts of jasper with onion on her

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Acne Rain posted:

Theory that Onion is Yellow Diamond

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Acne Rain posted:

There's a dumb theory that Onion is secretly a gem, and/or Yellow Diamond, because he doesn't have ears. So far the only characters who's ears we haven't seen have been gems.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Acne Rain posted:

They are both evil beings.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

axleblaze posted:

They are both evil beings.

I wouldn't call Onion evil. Hes more Chaotic Neutral.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
My friend drew a fanart:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Action Shakespeare posted:

My friend drew a fanart:

This? This is good. I'd hang it on my wall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

Onion is the most dangerous character on the show that hasn't been a direct villain.

Dude threw cars at people.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RareAcumen posted:

Onion is the most dangerous character on the show that hasn't been a direct villain.

Dude threw cars at people.
Onion is a terrifying individual that I do not trust and probably never will. That boy aint right.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Onion is a terrifying individual that I do not trust and probably never will. That boy aint right.

i like the idea that onion is a literal onion that rose cultivated tbh, he's not evil, just lonely, and bored! or maybe just bored.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I mean we've seen Onion's dad, and we've seen that Onion and Onion's dad both can talk without actually talking. Unless Onion's Dad is another part of the conspiracy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
But then what's sour cream, that's not a vegetable.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Acne Rain posted:

Goes great on a baked potato. :tinfoil:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is a very sensible topic to bring into this thread about a children's cartoon.

It is, in fact, possible to joke about these things without being a creeper.

See also: Pearl's thousand yard stare in that one gag comic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
IanJ, if you're reading this, I'm sorry if I've ever been annoying, but I loved Ian Comix when I was younger and do you happen to still have the one where you realize you've been drawing with a pencil in your butt? :shobon:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acne Rain posted:

He's adopted, just some regular human kid these two weird aliens found and started raising.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

senae posted:

goons are weird about sex at the best of times, let alone when we're talking about a children's cartoon. time and place (and never invite me to the place)

The woman who did this comic was hired to work on stories for the official comic book :)

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

axleblaze posted:

And yeah, if anyone has a specific av request, just ask and I may or may not make it depending on how I'm feeling. I don't like just doing generla stuff. At one point in the AT thread I just made a bunch of stuff from any given episode and after awhile I found that oddly exhausting.

Someone made a GIF of infinite shirt Steven previously in the previous thread when I asked, but if I could get that avatar sized it would be fantastic...

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Peridot is interesting to me because she's off as the only "ordinary" Gem on the show. Garnet is a permanent fusion. Amethyst was the lone inhabitant of a kindergarten. Pearl was Rose Quartz's assistant/confident. Lapis is powerful enough to control whole oceans. Jasper is apparently some kind of powerful Homeworld soldier. All of these gems are focused/connected with the Rose Quartz.

Meanwhile, Peridot doesn't really care about Rose Quartz and the gem war even a little bit. She's a middle manager type who just wants to get her task done and go home. She sends out her machines and they get smashed. When she confronts the saboteurs but isn't able to deal with them, Peridot calls the "cops" in the form of Jasper.

While the OP describes Peridot as "cold and ruthless" but that could be a matter of perspective. Consider the idea of a contractor tasked to clear a section of wilderness to make way for a new children's hospital. Building the hospital is a good thing for people, even though it will destroy the habitat of the creatures inhabiting the wilderness. Meanwhile, some ecoterrorist types start wrecking the contractor's equipment to save the animals, so the contractor calls in the police/military to stop them from doing that.

We really only know Peridot from when she's working. When she's off-duty, she might be a really fun person who likes to rock out to her favorite music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmYU4CeuZQ0

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

GLOSS posted:

Someone made a GIF of infinite shirt Steven previously in the previous thread when I asked, but if I could get that avatar sized it would be fantastic...

If you can link me to the gif, I could probably make you an avatar in just a few miuntes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

johntfs posted:

We really only know Peridot from when she's working. When she's off-duty, she might be a really fun person who likes to rock out to her favorite music:

I was with you up til this last part. I really want her to just be a cranky aspie jerk all the time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah but Peridot is down with killing sentient beings. Not exactly the same as building a hospital.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, they'd die anyway in a handful of short decades, right? :v:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

johntfs posted:

Peridot is interesting to me because she's off as the only "ordinary" Gem on the show. Garnet is a permanent fusion. Amethyst was the lone inhabitant of a kindergarten. Pearl was Rose Quartz's assistant/confident. Lapis is powerful enough to control whole oceans. Jasper is apparently some kind of powerful Homeworld soldier. All of these gems are focused/connected with the Rose Quartz.

Meanwhile, Peridot doesn't really care about Rose Quartz and the gem war even a little bit. She's a middle manager type who just wants to get her task done and go home. She sends out her machines and they get smashed. When she confronts the saboteurs but isn't able to deal with them, Peridot calls the "cops" in the form of Jasper.

While the OP describes Peridot as "cold and ruthless" but that could be a matter of perspective. Consider the idea of a contractor tasked to clear a section of wilderness to make way for a new children's hospital. Building the hospital is a good thing for people, even though it will destroy the habitat of the creatures inhabiting the wilderness. Meanwhile, some ecoterrorist types start wrecking the contractor's equipment to save the animals, so the contractor calls in the police/military to stop them from doing that.

Well, Peridot is the only gem from modern homeworld society, so it's interesting to use her as a window into that culture.

Lately I can't help but wonder if Lapis could be from an era even older than Garnet & Pearl, maybe even Rose - they mention that they found that mirror with Lapis already in it at the galaxy warp, so god knows how long ago it must have been put there. And while the other gems don't understand Peridot's new technology either, Lapis is loving culture shocked into rocking back and forth in a hole in the wall at the current state of Gem society. And her powers are so different from every other Gem we've seen. I like to think that she's, like, incredibly ancient.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be fair I think Lapis might have been more rocking back and forth more from the fact that she finally managed to get out of prison, just to be thrown right back in for god knows how long.

And yeah, I like Peridot as the ultra-uptight, plays by the rules, bureaucratic type. I want her to be like Rimmer form Red Dwarf except competent.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Has Steven ever had vaccinations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

axleblaze posted:

To be fair I think Lapis might have been more rocking back and forth more from the fact that she finally managed to get out of prison, just to be thrown right back in for god knows how long.

And yeah, I like Peridot as the ultra-uptight, plays by the rules, bureaucratic type. I want her to be like Rimmer form Red Dwarf except competent.

Yeah, I was exaggerating. When she was in the cell, she was mostly upset about what you say. But it was a little of the culture shock, too - you could definitely see she was freaked out about it when she sent the video message.

• Locked thread