Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Acne Rain posted:

why is lapis so op

Even Jasper, the muscle from homeworld, just headbutted people. lapis is just one gem and she can control the whole drat ocean

Not a whole lotta places with oceans in the universe though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Tollymain posted:

This is a pretty cool bit of theorycrafting. I wonder how much of it might be correct :v:

I don't share the entirety of this deal but I'm down with some of its suppositions.

Is anybody willing to lay down their predictions for the Serious Gem Business going on? That way we can go back to these posts a year from now and get smug satisfaction and a vague sense of superiority for having called it.

Here's mine. some are obvious and some are dumb:
1. The Homeworld is currently a rump state. There's barely a handful of other Gems drifting through space, but they're hella mean.
2. Rose turned either her own soldiers into monsters to use as weapons against the Homeworld (unlikely), or set off A Thing that corrupted (almost) all gems on earth, friend or foe. She did this because she was under the impression that the change would be reversible in the short term.
3. The Crystal Gems (as in, not Rose's army, but like, the core gang) used to have more members. One of them was the one bubbled in Lion's mane (Bismuth).

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Anybody have any clue as to how long the game is? Can you interact with BC's zany residents? Can you rave with Sour Cream? Is Onion the final boss?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
UG's super-rapidfire humor isn't really my thing, but that was pretty enjoyable overall. I was very apprehensive about it at first worrying about "b-b-but my continuity" but once you realize it's just supposed to be a fun episode to chill and laugh at the jokes, it goes much smoother.

Also I'm so pissed off at Pizza Steve. Not only does he mess with the drawing on the same layer, he doesn't even have the decency to do it in a couple of brushstrokes? HE PROBABLY USED UP ALL THE UNDO'S FOR gently caress'S SAKE

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
For some reason I imagined Greg to already be a washed-up schlubby man by the time he met Rose, he's a lot younger than I expected.
Maybe it's just the clean shave.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

IronicDongz posted:

...not that people shouldn't have fun with it but I think occam's razor applies to this in that he probably just didn't want to be seen in an embarrassing situation?

Same. Would be cool if any of BC's residents were trans or queer (and I'd frankly be pretty surprised if none of them are shown to be by season three or so), but them's some "hey what if Greg is 5000 years old" - level flimsy grounds

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

actually maybe the reason "island adventure" seems so weirdly out of character for Sadie is that the writers were trying to show off the ways that she can be lovely too so that she'd be on the same level as Lars. except that the show definitely doesn't take that perspective, because the episode ends with Lars feeling bad for what he said (even though it's probably at least a little accurate and his anger was totally justified by the situation) and Sadie angry at him.

No I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for. They can both do lovely things. It's just that Sadie killed an invisible alien monster, so her shittiness karma ended up a notch higher than Lars.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Say Nothing posted:

Cabbit posted:

Greg looks really young in that preview, and I don't think it's just his hair. Did he look this young in Lion 3?

Well, the beard adds several years, at least:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
The Gems don't seem to need money. If they ever come across a situation where they might need money, they can either use magic instead of money or use magic in order to quickly have access to money. The end?

Anyway I drew a sad Pearl

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I think we should just wait until the next time Marty shows up, which is bound to happen once season 3 rolls over and Onion becomes the 5th member of the Crystal Gems.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Yeah, the show seems to be designed around portraying Steven as the emotional core that the Gems were needing, and in a central light, not just "Ma-ti, with the power of heart"

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 18, 2015

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I'm leaning towards thinking that Lion is just a regular lion. Rose infused it with weird displacement / sonic roar magic, but other than that it's just a big cat doing big cat stuff.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
It's true, though.
Pearl -> Lost her semi-transparent undershirt.
Connie -> Lost her semi-transparent lenses.
Amethyst -> Lost her asymmetrical shoulder strap.
Garnet -> Lost her... asymmetrical... pants design?

e: Next Amethyst-centered episode will conclude in her hair now freely switching between covering her left or right eye. Because see, her hair is a metaphor for her abandonment issues, and

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 3, 2015

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Macdoo posted:

I guess. Maybe they'll sub it out with the sweeter sounding verse from Rebecca's extended edition.

That being said, the extended version had a suspicious amount of "lalalalalas". Maybe those verses weren't sung since they contained spoilers?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Always post fanart trash.

[x]

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

[x]

have a gift for your favorite space moms on Space Mother's Day

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I basically see it like, in Steven-Universe-Universe, gem bullshit is treated sorta like the weather. Yeah, sure, it can get pretty bad, houses may fall down, power outages may occur, but it's just, y'know, there. There's probably a brief boring bit after the news where some dude in a suit tries to give an accurate estimation of where gem bullshit is gonna go down next, and the graphics department keeps throwing increasingly elaborate animations and green-screen gimmicks at the Gem Report because the audiences keep switching stations because who caaares what mystical temple will house a legendary battle next, it's almost time for either Charade of Crowns or The Meandering Corpses.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Macdoo posted:

The thing about Ronaldo is that he isn't a creep. The girls in it probably wouldn't actually be those from Beach City (not explicitly, anyway). It'd probably fit him more if it turned out that his conspiracies and love of anime collided very heavily. All of the love options are imagined members of the diamond authority (and a snerson or two. Maybe even the greatest evil, Koaleople (Koala People)) who just can't resist the dashing, painfully misunderstood paranormal detective Ronald (who is an original character NOT A SELF INSERT who is VERY MISUNDERSTOOD and MYSTERIOUS which is why he is so GRIMDARK AND SCEPTICAL SEE THE CHARACTER CONCEPT BELOW).

e. DO NOT STEAL

"Peedee, please. He had a snamily"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Flying-PCP posted:

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the hiatus? Unless they really didn't need extra time to make episodes and CN is just being strategic with how they air things due to Summer Reasons

The hiatus was never to produce more episodes. There's a shitton of episodes already made and awaiting airtime, plus another amount in late production. Last time we got an update on that part there were, like, as many finished episodes as we've already seen so far, I think? Some 50 or so? The hiatus was always for Summer Reasons, as was the previous one.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Interview suggests that the hiatus is going to resume right after the Stevenbomb. I'm mad!!!
Interview also suggests a Rose/Greg duet, possibly more Pearl songs, and "heavy" episodes that will make "Lion 3" and "Jail Break" pale in comparison. I'm less mad!!!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Okay I REALLY wanna know what Connie said now.

Probably something like "geometry is cool"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
The finale for this season will be Pearl attending therapy.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Flying-PCP posted:

He hadn't the foggiest idea what was going on, all he saw was a pretty dance and them becoming a new giant woman, why would he not like that?

I love how Sugar has invented (sort of) her own alien versions of both sex and death that she can put in her kid's cartoon as much as she wants. They could never show this on Homeworld Cartoon Network.

I wonder how they'd edit SU if it was aired in Homeworld.

"Garnet's already in a [AUTHORITY-MANDATED FUSION]. She is a [AUTHORITY-MANDATED FUSION]."
"Oh you mean 'cause she's a fusion."
"Ruby and [HER AUTHORITY-ASSIGNED FUSION PARTNER, BRAD] are so [EFFICIENT], that they can't stand to be apart!"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

axleblaze posted:

I think it was clear we'd never get this just by how shocked the gems were that Steven could even fuse with Connie.

Well the Gems didn't have to know that Greg and Rose (Grose?) fused.
Anyway looking forward to gutpunch #4

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Triskelli posted:

Am I the only person that doesn't want Peridot to be redeemed? Or at least not converted. I could give reasons like "she's complicit" or "she's abused her power whenever she's had it", but the truth is that all I want is a hundred episodes her hurling insults and escaping like this:

:allears:

I'm ok with Peridot being redeemed as long as she remains a massive loving dork.

I agree it would feel kind of unnatural if P, G or LL were legit added to the main team, but I'd be totally down with them being peripheral characters that show up every once in a while when the CGs need help with the Gem MacGuffin of the day.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Flying-PCP posted:

Haha, I wonder how many people caught on that the room was almost certainly making up some vaguely plausible bullshit for that. He needs to hook that thing up to the internet somehow. Or better yet, never ever do that thing I just said.

Everybody knows Golf Quest Mini just ripped off Silent Hill 2's secret ending.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Oh man they're finally introducing non-sad breakfast on Tuesday.

Are you kidding me? Crying Breakfast Friends had such a strong formula, and then all of a sudden the network ruined it by introducing the new "hip" characters last season. Cereal With Sunglasses and Toast That Likes to Dunk are nothing more than cheap tie-ins for their awful toy line. Not to mention they really shat the bed by making the videogame an action platformer instead of a dating sim.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Hell of a way to start the Steven Bomb. Man, Pearl doesn't have issues, she has volumes, she has tomes, she has anthologies.

Always sadder. Always gayer.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Devious Vacuum posted:

If any of the gems do eventually have a total emotional breakdown, especially Pearl, I wonder if that will be used as more of an explanation on how these other gems turned into monsters.

I'd say the chances of there NOT being an arc where someone from the gang either goes corrupted or borderline corrupted due to massive pent-up issues and has to be rescued from it through the power of friendship is pretty close to zero. And the chance of that someone being Pearl is, uh, is there an opposite of zero?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Writh posted:

Ya know, I was talking about the fusions with my wife, picking our favorites. During the conversation we realized, at this point Opal doesn't really have a personality that we've seen. Thinking about all the issues wrapped up in Amethyst and Pearl I wonder if getting a prolonged look at Opal would result in us seeing one of the most depressed gems ever.

Well they did get Aimee Mann as Opal's VA... there's a great opportunity for a sad song in there somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c48vs4lwgc

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Crain posted:

Was there anyone left who was arguing that Ruby and Sapphire are just really good friends?

Cause that list bit seems like it was 100% put in to close the loving book on that argument.

I think in this particular case most of the cryptomophobes are still clinging to "hmm actually I'm pretty sure Ruby is a boy. Looks like a boy to me. Y'all just want to see lesbians everywhere"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Crabtree posted:

How much poo poo can go down in one episode?

I suspect this is gonna get quoted a lot tomorrow night

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Hey, some of the episode previews or whatever appeared to imply there are gonna be two episodes tomorrow. What's with that?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
The two laws of Steven Universe:

1. Always sadder, always gayer
2. Peridot can always be even more of a dork

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Cabbit posted:

Based on Pearl they're probably, like, general aide-de-camps. You stick one with a high ranking gem and they act as personal assistants/bodyguards/drivers/etc. Considering how lost Pearl is without Rose, maybe they're supposed to pull a Nogi Maresuke when their charge perishes and that's why Jasper thought she was defective.

Or maybe I'm putting too much thought into this.

Since Pearl mentioned in "Sworn to the Sword" that she wasn't "made for fighting", a military role seems kinda unlikely. I'm leaning towards some sort of domestic servant - would explain her affinity for house chores.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

TwoPair posted:

Seriously most tumblrs where people try to pretend to be a fictional character are stupid as hell but this person just cranks the stupid up and it's great

The blog works because the author understands the core elements of Jasper's personality:
1. She's big
2. She's an rear end in a top hat

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Say Nothing posted:

I like the idea that Peridork's gauntlets and boots aren't actually her real hands and feet. It would explain why her proportions look slightly off.

She's probably pretty runty without them.

You know, that could also explain her ridiculous hair (other than basic shape-based character design). Maybe she's got a Kim Jong-Il thing going on.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
So far the most important important aspect of Lapis' personality is that she likes fart jokes. This will become a pivotal plot point in the show's finale, when the Crystal Gems are transported to Homeworld to stand trial but Yellow Diamond's draconian verdict speech is interrupted by a loud fart noise broadcast through the planet's communication system. And, so, the last episode of Steven Universe will end in the only way it possibly could: with a freeze-frame of everyone mid-laugh, a la 80's sitcom.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
If you're pondering on a possible plot development that would max out the sad and/or the gay, it's gonna happen to Pearl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

fade5 posted:

I would like to congratulate you all for teaching me that there is something more byzantine and confusing than the Middle East, and that it is toy marketing and audience demographics for kids shows. I didn't think such a thing was possible, but:psyboom:

Seriously what the hell, this makes less sense the more I think about it. I would have thought that "we have multiple demographics watching, that's awesome, we get multiple streams of money" would be the prevailing thought process, but I guess applying logic to TV/the toy industry is a futile effort.

Also "toys for boys and toys for girls, but never shall the two meet" is one of my serious pet peeves, but I'll restrain myself from ranting about that.

Instead I'll just say that I'm happy that Steven Universe is doing so amazingly well, and that I too am so ready for Blu-Rays.:getin:

The basic logic behind it is, say you're a network and you want to have the biggest possible coverage on the kids market. So you'll need several shows, to appeal to different kinds of kids. So you make, I dunno, Adventures of the Alien Alliance and Zuper Zany Zoo. Which is great, since more shows = more viewership = more $$$. If a kid likes both shows he'll watch them back to back. Great for everybody. But when it comes to toys, marketers treat it as a zero-sum game. If a kid is into both AAA and ZZZ, he'll have to ask his parents for one over the other, which means the toy lines will underperform, because they'll effectively be competing against each other. And since you don't want your two products to be their own competition, you instead decide to segregate your shows so that there's no intersection in viewership. So instead of AAA and ZZZ you'll make Blue Battle Boys and Pink Pretty Princesses. So instead of trying to capitalize on the Kids Who Like Aliens and Kids Who Like Animals demographics, you simply try to zero in on Boys and Girls. Because there might be kids who like both aliens and animals, but (hopefully for you) there are no boys who are also girls.

There's the basic explanation. You probably came up with at least three reasons why it's really stupid as soon as you finished reading that paragraph, and you're right, but marketing is the nadir of western civilization :angel:

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 7, 2015

• Locked thread