Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren:Update!:siren:
Episode 2-2: Nihilism

In this video, Keyboard_Vomit joins us again as I start by really botching a Bloodborne joke that wasn't that great to begin with, the game finally starts testing our mental mettle, and we discuss nihilism a whole lot.

Also, we've reached the point where it's high time you guys get to decide on fairy stuff again! We're just about to reach Toronto, which means Meister is upgrading his stock. That, in turn, means that we get new fairy slaves helper buddies! Here's the new stock, some of which there are two for sale: Power Jade, Crimson Jade, Lightning Jade (2), Water Jade (2), and Anger Jade. In addition to the stock Meister has, we also get a special fairy buddy from making story progress while in town, and that one is the Life Jade. That seems like quite a few fairy helper buddies to go through, so this time pick two of them! Out of the ones you can choose from, the Crimson and Anger Jades are duplicates, so if you choose them, come up with a name! Or if you were to vote for both of the Lightning or Water Jades, name one of those guys! You're limited to 8 characters, and you can only use the letters of the alphabet, upper and lower case.

You should see the changes you vote for take place in the video after 2-3, which brings me to my next question. Are you guys interested in another bonus video that's basically the same as the first one? Smashing up the town, buying up all the magic and showing it off, general exploration? All that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Brain Lord! I remember I rented this once when I was a kid, and was disappointed that there was very little for either my brain or my lord to do.

Time to get caught up on this LP!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I am the ultimate Brain Lord!!

I nominate the Anger and the Lightning Jades. Give in to the Dark Side...

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

I am the ultimate Brain Lord!!

Oh yeah? Well try this on for size, because it's time for another PUZZLE POST :vince:

Brain Lord posted:

The code to the door has 3 even numbers and 1 odd number. Added together they make 13. The first number is 4.

Seems easy, right? Right?! I wouldn't blame you for thinking that. But guess what? Brain Lord has conveniently forgotten to tell us that the rest of the code comes in a specific order, nor does it give us any clues for what order the remaining numbers go in. Alright, so you may think that's not so bad. Well, it turns out that the room is a little big, and you have to walk a couple screen-lengths over just to get to the puzzle again, should you need to reset it (you will). They consciously chose to waste a good chunk of your time with this one, and Brain Lord is only giving you a small taste of the awful poo poo it does in the future. Icing on the cake, right here: the two earlier puzzles were optional, like I'd mentioned before. This one is mandatory. You absolutely have to do this puzzle if you want to get into the boss room.

Choco1980 posted:

I nominate the Anger and the Lightning Jades. Give in to the Dark Side...

Got a name in mind for the Anger Jade? You've got 8 characters you can use!

Everyone else, don't forget: voting is still going on for which fairy buddies I should use. Check out my previous post for details!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

well I'm not that good at puzzles, I was just gloating about getting both puzzles right on my first try. I can tell that I probably wouldn't in this case as the question is vague. I can't tell what order the other three numbers are input in, but they're 1, 2, and 6. That's pretty rotten of them to do.

I don't care about names meanwhile. I'm sure whatever you decide is fine.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Choco1980 posted:

I don't care about names meanwhile. I'm sure whatever you decide is fine.
You should care about names. I understand Palpatine is nine letters and after that it's hard to come up with a suitably silly name for an Anger Jade when you've already made your dark side reference.

I nominate BSBeast because that's clearly what its namesake is, and for the amount of angry it generates in liquidy. Now he can be reminded of gettin' mad at videogames for as long as he uses that Jade.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

loving blood starved beast.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

liquidypoo posted:

loving blood starved beast.

He's fairly easy. You go and give him a hand made enema by using those blood vials. Not the healing ones the other ones. The throwable ones.

Zain fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2015

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Zain posted:

He's fairly easy. You go and give him a hand made enema by using those blood vials. Not the healing ones the other ones. The throwable ones.
We beat'im first try on my character, of course. Now he's a brick wall for liquidy and I'm being mean because my BSB is toast.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Episode 2-3: Try Jumping

Yes, a genuine update on April Fool's Day. Sorry guys. Turns out I'm not creative enough to make a hoax update. We finally learn (one of) the dev name(s) of the Anger Jade, and finish up the ruins of the Abell civilization.

As a result of the exactly two votes to tally up, the next set of fairy buddies I'll be using are the default named Lightning Jade, and a new Anger Jade named BSBeast.

Two votes. And one of 'em was cast by my LP copilot :negative:

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 1, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I barely remember what any of the Jade's do so I couldn't come up with any witty names (aside from IMPACT for Anger.) Hooray you've beaten the ancient civilization! Time to step it up a notch!

The sword isn't entirely useless since swords have one of the better (if not best) hitboxes and are really fast. Of course you kind of need the extra range of a throwing weapon/flail for the boss...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

liquidypoo posted:

As a result of the exactly two votes to tally up, the next set of fairy buddies I'll be using are the default named Lightning Jade, and a new Anger Jade named BSBeast.

To be fair, it was a good vote.

I really need to get going on Bloodborne, but it's a bit hard with Pillars of Eternity right here on my computer...

edit: Holy cow that was indeed a bad pun, man.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 2, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

To be fair, I kinda want us to get all the jades, but meh. I voted.

Also man, that boss. That thing had such a huge hitbox and just carved through your hp when it connected. I can't imagine using a short range weapon on it.

In the meantime, here's a documentary of how the rest of the LP is expected to go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPFAAGC0Jxo
Part Two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3c2vLFJZCs

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Those videos are pretty great.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to see all of the Jades. I'm sorta trying to cycle them every two videos or so, and once Meister upgraded his stock, I figured a double swap per vote would be enough to show them all off by the endgame. We've got 6 left to see, including the duplicates that need names, and __three__ dungeons left. I've been good about getting the dungeons in three videos, so that's an estimated ___nine___ videos left. That should leave us plenty of time to cycle through all of them.

As far as the latest weapon, Grand Slam, goes, I actually probably could have gotten away with not wearing the cape. When you don't move super fast, he does drag you in pretty badly, but jumping does still give you just the tiniest amount of distance. If you don't wear the cape, bunny hopping is your best friend. At that rate, though, I would definitely prefer to be able to keep my distance, and might have even downgraded myself to the boomerang. That way I wouldn't get locked into any attack animations. The sword's swipe animations are negligible, until you consider how close you have to be.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Slightly early :siren:Update!:siren:

Episode 3-1: Toronto!

Tomorrow is Easter, which means I'm stuck hanging out with family like some sorta chump, and won't be able to post the update. The first four minutes or so are a little sketchy video quality wise, and I do apologize for that. This prompted me to learn the wizardry that is the bitrate in a video recording, and that recording at a 1000 bitrate is bad and dumb and stupid and bad. Future videos will look a whole lot better! I would have fixed this sooner if I'd known anything about bitrates, because the way the videos always had some sort of artifacting bothered me a whole lot.

But enough about recording woes. We finally go to Toronto! I give you a taste of the town's seedy underbelly, and we're getting closer to the contest I want to do! I'll give you a hint: it has something to do with the arena, and seeing who can reach an arbitrary goal first. I'm still working out the details: whether to do it all in one stream, or to have some sort of screenshot formatted series of things, whether or not I should force Casnorf to give away one of his many Steam keys for games, etc. Suggestions are totally welcome! Any preference for format?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Huh, odd to call a life fairy Ason.

(it means "disaster" in hebrew)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
From the video, the programming spells book series is probably the Wiz Biz, by Rick Cook. There was a different series where it was math equations, but I can't find a drat thing about that one.
Programming jokes ahoy. I think he writes his spell compiler in Forth.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Rockopolis posted:

From the video, the programming spells book series is probably the Wiz Biz, by Rick Cook. There was a different series where it was math equations, but I can't find a drat thing about that one.
Programming jokes ahoy. I think he writes his spell compiler in Forth.

Wizard's Bane, and the sequels. I have the originals; I think they were cut down into half as many books and retitled later. I'm no programmer and certainly can't be said to have taste in fiction, but I liked the idea of a more systematic approach to magic.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The concept of regular dudes from present day earth going to fantasy lands is a pretty heavily used trope. I read a series in my teens called the "Spellsinger" books about a musician that gets transported to a place where magic is made by music, and he used a bunch of pop songs to get whatever he wanted. It was an alright light comedy series, but in retrospect I wouldn't recommend it, because most of the denizens of this land are talking animals, which just seems much less wholesome in today's lens.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:siren:THREAD CONTEST STREAM:siren:

So, next weekend, I'm planning on doing a stream to host the contest I want to do! First and foremost, out of the two days I want to do this, do you guys prefer Friday the 17th, or Saturday the 18th? Either day, the stream will start sometime in the afternoon/early evening. 4pm Central, most likely. I'm making a big deal out of this in particular because I want to give one of you folks an SA gift cert, so pick the day you'll be around on the 17th, 3 pm CST to watch it! There's potential for Steam game codes, too.

The rules:

It's pretty simple: each goon who wants to participate starts with 1000 G. We're gonna be gambling on some cockfights! In the stream, you'll be able to see the fight card, including winning odds, and pick which monster you think will win. You can bet a maximum of 1000 G per fight, and the first person to reach 10,000 G gets the gift cert! In order to prevent placed bets being missed, or made too late, I'll be using the stream chat to open and close betting. If nobody reaches 10,000 G by the end of the stream, then the person with the highest score will get the cert. I'm reasonably sure this won't last two hours, but that's, at the most, how long I plan to stream for.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 17, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Sounds really awesome, don't know my schedule for next week though. :(

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I unfortunately can't commit to anything right now, as I might be going on a trip that weekend out of state. However, my uh, less than stellar health might be deciding against that. time will tell.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

If it's on Saturday I'd definitely be interested in betting!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Sessile posted:

If it's on Saturday I'd definitely be interested in betting!
First: you have a cool name. That's one of my favorite words.

Second: I'm unavailable on the 17th, so if it ends up happening on that Friday I'll just send some Steam games of varying quality as a stand-in. Liquidy can do with them as he pleases, and since he don't play PC games....

Third: I worry, therefore, that the Steam games will be more interesting than me. Better make sure one of'em's Laxius Force.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

It's looking more and more like it'll be that Friday, the 17th. Just as a heads up, guys. There's a special guest commentator I really want to have for this specific thing in the game, and he's only available that day.

In other news, because of my rash decision to decide when to stream based on a co-commentator instead of when you guys might be able to actually watch it, Sessile has opted to donate a mystery Steam gift to the prize pile! I'm keeping it a mystery because I don't know what it's about and whether it's a joke prize or not :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I have a training on the 18th, but I have no idea what my evening is looking like that Friday. I'll tune in if I'm able!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Episode 3-2: Skeleton Meat

Here we get an example of a really good song played in a really short area, we move into the dungeon proper, and start getting some kinda frustrating/annoying dick moves. My nostalgia is fading, and it's being slowly replaced by irritation! Hooray!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Man like more than half that video was slow down. They programmed this game so well XD

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I remembered playing this years back, and was horribly confused at all the platform stuff in the cyberpunk tower. I don't remember fighting that boss, but I do remember getting to the arena.

The ice physics look really annoying. How much does the slowdown make things worse?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Would you believe we barely even notice it anymore? You can get used to anything after a while.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Yeah. Upon replaying this, I've noticed I spend a lot of time reacting as if I'm expecting slowdown to occur, rather than hoping it doesn't. If, uh, that makes any sort of sense. Kinda like the ice physics! Sure, having weird acceleration sucks, but then I get to rocket around rooms like crazy by jumping diagonally (until I need to jump through a door :v: )

By the way, I should probably ask you folks to vote on the next two Jades! The remaining ones are Power, Crimson, Lightning, Water (2), and Life. The only ones that need a name are the Crimson Jade, Lightning Jade, or if both get voted in, one of the Water Jades. 8 characters, use 'em wisely. I just recorded a session today, so we've got until Sunday before I need to tally up the votes.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Aww yeah, let's see some dual-wielded Water Jades!

The second water jade should be named Ming-Hua :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Let's go with one Water, and one Life, totally on my whim. (Again, in my mind we should be getting ALL of them)

Also, speaking of the fairies, did you notice that to further ensure that Palulu was useless, he couldn't fly through walls like BSBeast did? Around five minutes in you end up trapping him on the architecture in a room you're in.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

It's not just Polulu who gets caught up on terrain. In fact, if BSBeast's anger drives weren't activated, he'd get caught up too! Anger Jades are the only ones that can say "gently caress it!" and give themselves no-clip. Either that, or they're so angry that they forget how collision works.

I'm going to stop beating around the bush and actually give the :siren:Contest Stream:siren: an official time! We're looking at Friday the 17th, 3 pm Central. Be sure to be there and partake in the totally legal, yet still underground Toronto cockfighting arena! I'll have two different guests in place of Casnorf: the first will be Golgozor, a.k.a. Steamshovel_Dan, and the other is Wethamster! Listen to us make bad jokes, cheer for your favorite monsters, earn Steam games of varying quality! Potentially listen to me panic as I realize my entire laptop is melting! It'll be great!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Argh, I keep hearing the music in the latest video and thinking it sounds like "Sunny Days" from Sesame Street. Can't get it out of my head now.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I think you should row row and fight with Powah!!!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Rockopolis posted:

Argh, I keep hearing the music in the latest video and thinking it sounds like "Sunny Days" from Sesame Street. Can't get it out of my head now.
I grew up near Sesame Place, and briefly worked there. Under a loudspeaker. That played Sunny Days 24/7.

Basically you just reminded me that there are worse things in life than being a mite too untalky in a LP.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Casnorf posted:

I grew up near Sesame Place, and briefly worked there. Under a loudspeaker. That played Sunny Days 24/7.

Basically you just reminded me that there are worse things in life than being a mite too untalky in a LP.

drat, talk about trigger warning. Glad you didn't suffer an "episode" during your commentary.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Episode 3-3: X Marks the Spot

Casnorf manages to edit in a really cool thing for me while remaining unspoiled, we solve a really mean mandatory puzzle that I couldn't quite write up a puzzle post for, and we find out if Rein's fiance is safe. Is she? Watch the update! I'm not spoiling it :colbert:

As for the vote, we sort of came to an impasse. We're using a singular Water Jade, that's for sure, since it got two separate votes. However, everything else in the running got a single vote. So, courtesy of a website that came up in Google after I'd searched "randomizer," I'm going to let a RNG choose the second Jade. I'll be inputting "Waterx2," "Life," and "Power," and seeing which it chooses.

Our answer is... Life! So, next video we should see a Water Jade and the Life Jade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Does the fire sword do anything if you attack the frozen fountains?

• Locked thread