Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I think you're being a little harsh on AT1. It's not the world's most stellar system in the world, but it's no worse than any other turn based system, and the character customization system is probably the most fun just to mess with in the series. When it breaks open, it's really fun, it was just followed up by AT2's nearly perfect battle system that kind of drowns it out. AT3 doesn't exist.

Nosurge is right between AT1 and 2, and it's a good game in its own right, it just expects you to have played a huge prequel game that never made it into english that you kind of need to get what's going on and most character motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ImpAtom posted:

Ar Tonelico 2 is the only game I can think of with heroic implied pedophilia as a plot point so nothing good anyone can say about it will remotely overcome that loving plot point

At first I was like "what" and then I remembered that scene and then I laughed

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, so the growth menu is used to power up skills and add stats to characters. Definitely a minor non issue. I don't know why I would want to upgrade Wilbell's healing spell to revive party members as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

Oh, so the growth menu is used to power up skills and add stats to characters. Definitely a minor non issue. I don't know why I would want to upgrade Wilbell's healing spell to revive party members as well.

I can't really figure out if you're being sarcastic here or not but even if the game is absurdly easy that's not remotely a non-issue. It's an entire set of abilities and attributes locked off to the player.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Whatever, the point is that we can now all play the damned game without reservation. :)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I can't really figure out if you're being sarcastic here or not but even if the game is absurdly easy that's not remotely a non-issue. It's an entire set of abilities and attributes locked off to the player.

Of course I'm being sarcastic. I can't count the number of times I died due to having characters with healing spells, but no revival effect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

Of course I'm being sarcastic. I can't count the number of times I died due to having characters with healing spells, but no revival effect.

Sorry. :smith:

I've seen people elsewhere legitimately go "it's not a big deal' so it was hard to tell. My bad.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I think you're being a little harsh on AT1. It's not the world's most stellar system in the world, but it's no worse than any other turn based system, and the character customization system is probably the most fun just to mess with in the series. When it breaks open, it's really fun, it was just followed up by AT2's nearly perfect battle system that kind of drowns it out. AT3 doesn't exist.
The main problem that I had with it is once you figure out that a buff + healing song will go forever and turn your frontliners into immortal beatsticks, there is no strategy at all beyond "have someone capable of guarding if it comes up, otherwise just attack with the best-customized attacks you've got." Buffs got massively nerfed in 2 and attack songs improved to encourage actually using them, which necessitated at least a bit of planning, guarding got nerfed, and the timing system meant you had to actually pay attention and not gently caress up rather than just mashing X. The customization mostly just boiled down to "do as many hits as possible for as much damage as possible."

It's one thing to roll all over everything in Atelier because you played the alchemy game and earned your invincibility through superior use of that system. It's another to realize that you basically have a buffbot who needs minimal protection and then you can just curbstomp every fight the exact same way. AT1 ended up being an exceptionally boring slugfest as a result. Not as boring a slugfest as 3 of course, but I can't look back on it and call it even a good system. It's generic in all the worst ways and the unique features aren't worth using. 2 completely flipped that around, which is why it's the only one that's got a decent system. But 2 also has the worst translation and some of the creepiest, weirdest, and just generally odd bits.

The one good thing I will say for 2 is that they managed to write what might possibly be the most psychotic character I've ever seen in any RPG. Like "psycho ex-girlfriend who stabs your dog and sets your apartment on fire" psychotic.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I hope you're talking about Lucca.
Has anyone played the sorta prequel/ spin-off Ar No Surge? I was really surprised that they localized it. It's janky as hell too but at least it's far superior to the terrible mess that is AT3.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry. :smith:

I've seen people elsewhere legitimately go "it's not a big deal' so it was hard to tell. My bad.
for instance, gust themselves

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

for instance, gust themselves

I put that more on Tecmo Koei than Gust. It only took a week after release to get the patch out too. So, gold star for a retarded company I suppose.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If it's any consolation in the 1.0 JP version you basically couldn't use Miruca at all because her time cards caused a hardlock, and you couldn't turn in requests without saving first lest the game fail to properly deduct them from the menus and crash if you ever looked at them again.

Also one of the characters had a skill that could do 4 million damage by itself.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Nakar posted:

If it's any consolation in the 1.0 JP version you basically couldn't use Miruca at all because her time cards caused a hardlock, and you couldn't turn in requests without saving first lest the game fail to properly deduct them from the menus and crash if you ever looked at them again.

Also one of the characters had a skill that could do 4 million damage by itself.

Christ. I am afraid to ask, but was this game worse than usual or par for the course?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Gust programmers are not very good at what they do. I think it was a little worse than usual, especially when you consider that there are freezes still in the game, glitches like Miruca being invisible if her Squall Arm cutscene activates when she's in the back row, and the fact that certain characters can acquire 100% Quick and take infinite turns.

Then there's just the standard Gust stuff like the priority system the game uses to determine the order of items chosen for Mix being super important for no reason and prone to not working correctly depending on which item it chooses first, or the way auto-activation priority checks the Search Equipment frame in a completely different direction than everything else checks the Search Equipment frame because why would you want that to make sense or ever be explained? :psypop:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Christ. I am afraid to ask, but was this game worse than usual or par for the course?

One of the reasons the DS Atelier Lise didn't come over was because it was bugged to hell and back, many of them gamebreaking. So, sounds pretty par for the course.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, the patch changed rosemia's name to rosmia. why? *tugs collar*

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

In the last year of Ayesha. I feel like it's been unclear what quests are story critical and which are just for character subplots. I don't actually know what I need to do to progress the main arc and the guides I find are written as very specific sets of instructions with no general info.

Also, if your drat game is built around futzing around with the alchemy system, why are you limiting my ability to do that with the calendar.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
I'm honestly amazed they got a patch out this quick. The patch that fixed lock-ups related to fire skills in Disgaea D2 took several months if I recall.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah, good on them for fixing it so quickly. I'm sure it was just some code to introduce error handling or something but still, from the lukewarm response I figured it'd be a while.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, does anyone actually know the conditions for the true ending (at least, the sound theatre has a theme for a true ending...). Is it just an E&L style "be on a NG+ file" sort of deal or is it more involved?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a NG+ exclusive. You get a choice between two endings for each Shallie, then in the next game you get another two choices, plus the true ending path.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Oh here's some more "Gust is amazing at code": Shallotte's Whimsical Talent ability that randomly powers up her items and reduces the wait for them can be gamed by just cancelling targeting and reselecting the item over and over until the delay is really low. The game tells you how long your action will delay you before you actually confirm, so you can see visible alterations to the length of the delay position by constantly reselecting the item to use. Whimsical Talent is rolled at random every time you select an item to use whether you actually use it or not. :downs:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I managed to see everything there was left to see on the Shallotte side this evening. Judging by the trophy list, all I have to do now is get both of Shallistera's endings and I'll have my second platinum without much effort. Not having the time limit allowed me to backtrack and see things (Like Linca's origins) without having to worry about only having a month on the calendar. Wilbell's ending is probably my favorite of the two possible endings on her route.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
What is the deal with the Automatons? I found one in that ice field that I gave to Al for a minor reward. Katla tried selling me one but I didn't have enough money. There is another one in that Ruins of Frozen Time place but I can't interact with it. Did I miss something by advancing a chapter without buying Katla's doll?

I wish I could make more money, I always feel like I'm barely scraping by. I still don't really see any decent synths for High Price at my alchemy level (45).

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
I've just hit chapter 8 in Atelier Shallie and it almost doesn't feel like a finished game to me? There are several chapters with really minimal plotting/things to do and then a big difficulty spike and explosion of activity in chapter 8 with two big multi-step quests. The thing is, I feel like this wouldn't have been a difficulty spike if they'd filled out some of the previous chapters a little more.

Example: I'm playing Green Shallie and there's a chapter where Lotte and Stera have a pretty abrupt argument and then decide to part ways so Stera can help her village and Lotte can help her mother. Except Lotte just mopes around doing the absolute minimum possible: the chapter is over once you synthesize a couple of items and the two Shallies reconcile without any real action on the part of the player. Unless I missed a big chunk of unlabeled hidden stuff in that chapter, it feels like they forgot to fill out part of their game's outline.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Levantine posted:

What is the deal with the Automatons? I found one in that ice field that I gave to Al for a minor reward. Katla tried selling me one but I didn't have enough money. There is another one in that Ruins of Frozen Time place but I can't interact with it. Did I miss something by advancing a chapter without buying Katla's doll?

I wish I could make more money, I always feel like I'm barely scraping by. I still don't really see any decent synths for High Price at my alchemy level (45).

With the exception of buying the automaton from Katla, I found money was pretty on pace to let you buy all the books. I would say the Guild Quests are still the best way to get money.

I think if you stall in Chapter 6 Freetime I think Katla will drop the price to 20000, but I'm not really sure when she does. For now the automatons are just for giving to Al for bonus items and the don't really do anything too special as far as I know. The one in the Ruins of Frozen Time is stuck there (I think you only learn this as Shalotte) so you can't remove it.

kimpira posted:

I've just hit chapter 8 in Atelier Shallie and it almost doesn't feel like a finished game to me? There are several chapters with really minimal plotting/things to do and then a big difficulty spike and explosion of activity in chapter 8 with two big multi-step quests. The thing is, I feel like this wouldn't have been a difficulty spike if they'd filled out some of the previous chapters a little more.

Example: I'm playing Green Shallie and there's a chapter where Lotte and Stera have a pretty abrupt argument and then decide to part ways so Stera can help her village and Lotte can help her mother. Except Lotte just mopes around doing the absolute minimum possible: the chapter is over once you synthesize a couple of items and the two Shallies reconcile without any real action on the part of the player. Unless I missed a big chunk of unlabeled hidden stuff in that chapter, it feels like they forgot to fill out part of their game's outline.

Stera has her 'not much happens' chapter early on when Lotte makes the Gravistone for her. Stera's version of this Chapter is a lot better, but Lotte misses out on all the running around Stera does and they don't really give her anything to do in between.

I don't remember much of a difficulty spike in Chapter 8 though. Try doing some more synthesis? Getting the Synthesis Skill Frame and Property Skill traits from the White and Black Supplements will really help make some great bombs and healing items until the chain system gets a bit easier to manipulate.

The Media Book is your only target all healing item at this point, and getting an auto activation or Time Effect trait can really help keep people alive and useful. Setting up Miruca's Healing shot can be useful to keep people alive as well. Speaking of bursts, I would say Kortes, Homura and Jurie set up the best Field Burst, but Wilbell or Lotte can be helpful if you need healing.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 22, 2015

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

pichupal posted:

Stera has her 'not much happens' chapter early on when Lotte makes the Gravistone for her. Stera's version of this Chapter is a lot better, but Lotte misses out on all the running around Stera does and they don't really give her anything to do in between.

I don't remember much of a difficulty spike in Chapter 8 though. Try doing some more synthesis? Getting the Synthesis Skill Frame and Property Skill traits from the White and Black Supplements will really help make some great bombs and healing items until the chain system gets a bit easier to manipulate.

It's kind of weird that there are chapters where one protagonist or the other just sits there idling.

After posting I started working on the other big half of chapter eight and the difficulty didn't seem so much greater there. When I first started chp 8 I went from auto-killing most random monsters to getting stomped by the Spirit of Water.

I probably should've been more proactive about keeping my equipment up to date, though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Equipment seems to make a huge difference. I am not an alchemy whiz or anything but I've found good luck forging Vitality Absorb onto weapons. It pretty much ensures that a burst chain/variable strike will totally refill half the party. I don't really know what the go-to properties are though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I try to work in the absorb HP too, but I also aim for maxing out the elemental properties which then give 10-30 point stat boosts.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what exactly is the trigger for a field burst?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Cake Attack posted:

what exactly is the trigger for a field burst?

You unlock them when entering Crystal Valley in Chapter 6. You need 10% extra on the Burst Percent, so you get all 3 to trigger at 130%. Normally if an attack is about to trigger a burst, do an Assist Attack to squeeze out some extra 20-ish percent, depending on weaknesses (Shallotte, Kortes, Homura and Jurie do physical damage, Shallistera and the rest do magic damage). Sometimes Time Cards can trigger them as well giving you a bit less control over when a burst triggers. You also have an option to not trigger the Field burst at all if you want to use the Variable Strike faster.

In my opinion for Field Bursts, go for Kortes for more time in burst and Jurie for extra damage during Bursts. Homura's Field Burst works too since triggering Quick means your turn hasn't ended, so you don't consume Burst gauge. Kortes and Homura combined will make your Burst last pretty long.

kimpira posted:

It's kind of weird that there are chapters where one protagonist or the other just sits there idling.

After posting I started working on the other big half of chapter eight and the difficulty didn't seem so much greater there. When I first started chp 8 I went from auto-killing most random monsters to getting stomped by the Spirit of Water.

I probably should've been more proactive about keeping my equipment up to date, though.

Spirit of Water is a bit tricky since she can mess around with your party formation and she's definitely more challenging then the Sand Dragon. Wilbell's Field Burst comes in handy for this since people will constantly be thrown in the back row out of your control so having the healing is pretty nice. The patch wasn't out when I beat her, but I think Miruca's upgraded Assist Guard can cancel out some of the time cards she puts up. Not compleetely sure how that one works since I'm not too far in my Stera run that enemy Time Cards have been a big deal.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 23, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is there a way to have a rematch with the sand dragon, I want it's scale again for alchemy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh i guess you can gather them in the eastern sea of smoke

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Cake Attack posted:

is there a way to have a rematch with the sand dragon, I want it's scale again for alchemy
There is a way to have a rematch with a sand dragon. Otherwise yeah you can gather them on the same map spot where you fought it. They also drop sometimes from completely unrelated enemies, I have no idea why.

Also for the main parts of the game just stacking Defense or All Stats on gear will basically let you slug through anything even on Hardcore, except one boss at the end (but not the last boss, weirdly).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I am wondering if I should bump it up to Hardcore for the rest of the game (chapter 9) since battles are almost trivial for me now. The turning point seems to be getting a full party and burst attacks. I might save it for my Lotte playthrough though. The description says you get rare drops from battles - what do you get?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It just makes drops more likely. Enemies have a table of things they can drop but for regular monsters it's usually just stuff like fur or feathers or whatever. There's a fourth difficulty which might be better for NG+, and the DLC dungeon (which is free, but not out yet) offers a fifth that is harder still. On the fifth difficulty, enemies always drop everything they can drop. This is most useful for bosses; for example, the Prototypes drop like 25 items total on the highest difficulty instead of 6-8 like they usually do.

Personally I'd wait until the final difficulty is available for NG+ as anything else will be trivial, and even that difficulty might end up being too easy depending on your gear situation.

Also, it turns out most of the high-end attack items completely suck. For 9 item slots on a Talisman of Ancient Beasts I can hit enemies for about 7500 baseline twice, or I can make a 7 use 1 slot Meteor that hits enemies for about 5500 baseline and adds 3 time cards and carry 8 more items. This doesn't seem like a very difficult decision.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Atelier Shallie DLC is out. You can pick up a Free Dungeon (with NO HOPE difficulty setting), and the Shallie's swimsuits for free.

Solle is up to buy ($5 though) as well as swimsuits for everyone else.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

When can I make more status-effect healing items in Atelier Shallie? I'm at Chapter 4, and any tough enemy who causes status effects ruins my day. I made something that recovers Weak, but I need Poison and Blind healing items.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Mill Village posted:

When can I make more status-effect healing items in Atelier Shallie? I'm at Chapter 4, and any tough enemy who causes status effects ruins my day. I made something that recovers Weak, but I need Poison and Blind healing items.

I believe the first item that can do this is the Medicine Bread, but you need the Property +1 and Property+2 skills to make it do poison and weakness. It gets Cure Blindness at 80+ water, which might be tricky in Chapter 4, although the Nectar Springwater Linca sells can help if you haven't used it already.

Another option if you only care about specific characters is making an Angel Ribbon with 95+ water to get Nullify All, which should also cover the uncommon instant death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I finished Shallie last week, played on Stera's side. The endgame felt rather...flat to me. Like I didn't feel accomplished for beating the last boss and whatnot. These three games really has issues tying together as well as the Arland games, I especially laughed at the new models for Logy, Ayesha, and Nio only used in the ending.
I played mostly on Hardcore, up until the final area. Probably the easiest casual playthrough I've had of an Atelier game, mostly due to no time restrictions.
During all that I somehow made three or four new fans of the series - one friend got through the Arland Plus games in a month. Now going back through all the PS3 games, and eventually the Vita remakes, for the Platinum trophy, something I've never done for any game. Vanilla Rorona is hilariously outdated.

• Locked thread