Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Caught up on this. What a disturbing final few minutes. From him burping/dry heaving realizing he was entirely hosed onwards. I was literally holding my head in shock. Dude is an absolute monster.

also yes that goatee is something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Viginti posted:

As soon as they made the jump in episode five from telling the story in that way to Andrew planning a caper with bank vaults and chalkboards I was worried and this episode was basically all that.

I don't mind this. It's kind of like those documentaries that set out to do one thing and then finish up being something entirely different like As the Palaces Burn or Queen of Versailles.

The shift in style and tone is a good representation of this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I am disappointed that nobody has commented on my supremely clever before & after thread title. :colbert:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I appreciated it. :thumbsup:

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Comparing this to Serial is apples to oranges, one is a podcast the other is an HBO miniseries. Both are equally disappointing, though. It's not like devil beard squeezed a confession out of the guy.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

pr0p posted:

Comparing this to Serial is apples to oranges, one is a podcast the other is an HBO miniseries. Both are equally disappointing, though. It's not like devil beard squeezed a confession out of the guy.

He did say he probably had something to do with Kathie's not being here anymore. It's almost like he wanted to confess but knew he shouldn't.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Pinky Artichoke posted:

He did say he probably had something to do with Kathie's not being here anymore. It's almost like he wanted to confess but knew he shouldn't.

Yea... lacking a confession he is probably guilty of everything. Impulsive decisions with firearms. I'm not convinced he will be convicted. I'm also not convinced it matters because I think he belongs in an asylum rather than a prison, and probably won't live for much longer.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Are there any links to well written sensible discussion around the critisisms of Serial?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Did Durst not rise when the judge entered?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I said the same thing when i watched it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

pr0p posted:

I wasn't a huge Jinx fan, but I think much less of Serial; the people of Serial seemed to really lack an professionalism and interest in the subject, and it just felt like the usual white, privileged people parachuting into a disaster area for some crime voyeurism, and the abrupt way the show season ended just proved that.

Season two is going to be very weird, but I wonder how big and audience they'll get this time.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

In both this series and Serial, I found it interesting that the people doing the interviews both made comments about how charming and likable their interviewees were. With Bob, I never got the sense that he was likable, more that he had a really odd way of saying things that made him interesting. The comments in the final episode about the stars needing to align for Bob to come in for that final episode were really funny to me. Just from the vibe he gave off in that first interview, I could totally believe that he would continually give them the run around regarding the interview until one wakes up and feels like talking for a bit. With Adnan in Serial, I didn't understand Sarah's repeated mentions of Adnan being really funny. There's probably over an hour of him talking over the course of that entire podcast, but I can't recall him ever really saying anything funny. I figure it's either a case of the interviewer wanting to like their subject and attributing traits to them that aren't totally accurate, or it's charming or funny stuff that they said that wasn't relevant to the show and didn't end up getting aired.

edit: and if we're commenting on bad facial hair, I think Sareb's mustache creation is the biggest monster on the show

edit2: I always want the full raw interviews with shows like these. For the dvd/bluray release of this show, I'd love for both of the full interviews without edits.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 19, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I'm going to see the show as a 5 part documentary then a one part OH HOLY gently caress bonus special at the end. The end of episode 5 was good enough when the other letter is revealed, and I was totally on the edge of my seat watching how they put the 6th episode together. Jarecki must've been absolutely making GBS threads himself, as now he pretty much knows he's about to throw up a decent amount of evidence to a guy who has killed 3 people who have crossed him.

I'm glad you guys talked about the mother suicide a bit, as I think they glanced over some of the important details (i.e. what what going on between Bob/Seymour during that, did it really happen) and I wasn't sure what to think about it either.

Something I'm curious about though, the newly found letter doesn't seem to be the crucial bit of evidence for conviction as the handwriting expert doesn't seem to really care that much about it, and spent most of his time comparing the 'Cadaver' letter to other pieces of block capital hand writing data that existed. So they didn't really uncover anything crucial, just put him on the hot seat as it's a pretty great visual.

When he looks at the new letter and says 'Beverley spelt wrong', knowing he's done an interview where the spelling is an important clue on the letter, does he know the game is up then? It felt like it actually took a little bit of further prodding from Jarecki and it's about 20 seconds later he starts burping and stuttering. I thought the second that he asked him to read the address he would've reacted harder.

Glad it wasn't just me who thought of Barry/Other Barry when they played the hot mic clip. It really is like he has two sides to him, battling it out. He's an absolutely fascinating person at the very least, and it was an amazing watch. I'm not sure why they felt they had to mess with the timeline, the big reveal could still have been in the final episode without having to try connect it to an arrest that came later, it really wouldn't have opened them up to criticism (that's essentially kind of pointless, but still).

Oh and one last thing - in one of the interviews they said they heard Bob was pissed with Episode 5... I watched them all back to back and I'm trying to think what it was in particular that annoyed him as it all kind of blurs together. Just the discovery of the new letter?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Did anything ever come from the weird Bury Body To Do List that Kathie's friend found in Durst's garbage? I expected Jarecki to confront him on this and ask him about it, but it never came up again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh and one last thing - in one of the interviews they said they heard Bob was pissed with Episode 5... I watched them all back to back and I'm trying to think what it was in particular that annoyed him as it all kind of blurs together. Just the discovery of the new letter?
Probably that Sareb was the one who "gave him up", so to speak.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I liked both Serial and The Jinx. I hope there's more stuff like these 2 to come; I guess I'm just easily entertained, because I don't really have any complaints about either.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I assume it's because the first four episodes were "tell me your story, i will sit here and not judge" and the fifth episode was "holy poo poo, we need to catch this guy".

EL BROMANCE posted:

When he looks at the new letter and says 'Beverley spelt wrong', knowing he's done an interview where the spelling is an important clue on the letter, does he know the game is up then? It felt like it actually took a little bit of further prodding from Jarecki and it's about 20 seconds later he starts burping and stuttering. I thought the second that he asked him to read the address he would've reacted harder.

When he read the senders address? I don't think he would have realised then. That was misdirection from Jarecki to close out any loopholes before he hit him over the head with the content of the letter.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I liked both Serial and The Jinx. I hope there's more stuff like these 2 to come; I guess I'm just easily entertained, because I don't really have any complaints about either.

Agreed. Also that last five minutes was even more chilling than I expected even knowing it was coming, goddamn. And yeah, the mother story weirds me the gently caress out. If it actually happened that is 10 different kinds of creepy. I was talking about it with my mom who also watched and saw three possible explanations:

1. It didn't happen.
2. Seymour did it to try to convince his wife not to jump by looking at her son through the window.
3. Seymour was just as batshit as his son.

Also knowing the ending, him loving up and talking with the mic still on in one of the earlier episodes was just...Jesus Christ. They could've written this as a work of fiction and I'd have found it amazingly done, but it's ACTUALLY REAL. Mindblowing.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 20, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

1. It didn't happen.
2. Seymour did it to try to convince his wife not to jump by looking at her son through the window.
3. Seymour was just as batshit as his son.

It's been confirmed that it was 1. by Bob's brother.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

Ah okay. That makes much more sense.

I cannot even fathom how those filmmakers felt when they heard that audio from the bathroom. I'd probably poo poo myself or cry or scream or go OH MY loving GOD or some mix thereof.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 20, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It was something like "We were in the house at the time but were wisked away once it happened"

Theory is that Bob was telling it that way to a) garner sympathy b) that's how his little child brain interpreted it.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

C2C - 2.0 posted:

If you haven't seen it already, I really recommend checking out The Staircase. Read nothing about the case before going in and enjoy the ridiculous twists. The director's previous film, Murder on a Sunday Morning is well-worth checking out, too, if only to see what an absolute gun public defender looks like.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Luckily got to binge most of this with a short wait for Part 6 and very little knowledge of the people involved. The final moments of that last part got a very audible "wholly loving poo poo" from me, followed by me trying to get friends/family to watch it asap. I wouldn't normally be interested in this kind of show at all but it was so god damned compelling from start to finish.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Check out Captivated: The Trials of Pamela Smart, it's an HBO doc from late last year.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I know most people have already seen it, but Dear Zachary is also a doc worth checking out if you're looking for a doc with a twist. It's sort of poorly made but the subject matter is both compelling and touching enough to get you through it. Up to a point.

It's the only thing I've ever watched where I had to take a 30 minute break to chain smoke before I could continue watching it.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Just binged through all six episodes; Bob didn't strike me as charming at all. Maybe in a superficial sociopath way but I really did not have a whole lot of sympathy for him. He kind of reminded me of that one mob boss that wore his bath robe around all day and talked to himself to make the feds think he was nuts. I felt like Durst was used to playing people his whole life and saw this whole interview as the same sort of deal until it completely blew up in his face. Whatever happens with the murder case in Los Angeles I have a feeling he's getting some time either way and likely not coming out alive. Getting caught in Louisiana with over a quarter pound of weed and a gun is a Bad Thing even if you are a really rich white guy.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Jarecki was shaking like a leaf during interview two. He could barely hold the photos steady.

Also, Durst slipped up about Morris Black at one point. He said something like "when I found his body". I believe that was his original defense in the Black case--that he came upon the body after someone else murdered Black, but his defense attorneys convinced him to switch to the self defense story because it would play better in Texas. Remember they said they had to do quite a bit of work with him to make him a compelling witness..

Which would be scuzzy, because that would mean they encouraged him to lie on the stand.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MrBuddyLee posted:

Which would be scuzzy, because that would mean they encouraged him to lie on the stand.

What was that phrase he kept repeating when he was hot mic'd the first time? Sounds like that would be related to this. Good pickup man.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

I know most people have already seen it, but Dear Zachary is also a doc worth checking out if you're looking for a doc with a twist. It's sort of poorly made but the subject matter is both compelling and touching enough to get you through it. Up to a point.

It's the only thing I've ever watched where I had to take a 30 minute break to chain smoke before I could continue watching it.

I cried at Dear Zachary and make no excuses nor try to deny it. That documentary is like a series of escalating gut punches.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

What was that phrase he kept repeating when he was hot mic'd the first time? Sounds like that would be related to this. Good pickup man.

I did not knowingly, intentionally, lie.

Or something like that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MrBuddyLee posted:

Jarecki was shaking like a leaf during interview two. He could barely hold the photos steady.

Also, Durst slipped up about Morris Black at one point. He said something like "when I found his body". I believe that was his original defense in the Black case--that he came upon the body after someone else murdered Black, but his defense attorneys convinced him to switch to the self defense story because it would play better in Texas. Remember they said they had to do quite a bit of work with him to make him a compelling witness..

What did they say? "Don't remember too well?" They were great at their jobs, especially the guy who was basically Matlock.

So many great, unique "characters" in this thing, from the Galveston professor to the Westchester DA. Anyone who could approximate writing them in fiction would be a bonifide genius.

One thread I'm still interested in: how much did the Durst family know of Kathie's murder? What did they exactly do?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

xcore posted:

I don't know. Why should we take his word for it? The best answer is "because he's not the liar and the sociopath, Bob is" but Doug Durst has absolutely every reason in the world to say "Bob is full of poo poo, it didn't happen like that."

1) Because it makes Bob look worse
2) It protects the reputation of his dead father

But lets not forget that Doug would have been like 4 or 5 years old when his mother died, with probably absolutely no memory of it. So unless he actually remembers what happened and that it didn't happen the way that Bob described it, I doubt we could take his word for it. Because I'm sure Doug was TOLD "it didn't happen that way" and so he believes it.

I realize I'm playing devil's advocate and am being a bit :tinfoil: but I don't think I'd believe a word that comes out of Doug Durst's mouth either.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

the great deceiver posted:

Just binged through all six episodes; Bob didn't strike me as charming at all. Maybe in a superficial sociopath way but I really did not have a whole lot of sympathy for him.
Most of the interview footage was offputting because every thing he said had an emphatic denial tone to it, and he sounded like a whiny dishonest old man. The more candid clips of him talking to his wife on the prison phone or wandering around NY dissing his brother sounded more like a normal person. I would've loved to have seen footage of him talking when he was younger.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
The episode where they were recounting the 83 disappearance, I yelled out GUILTY, when Bob was confronted about his lie about telling the officers he called his wife after she got back to NYC. He said something like "I had to tell them that, to PLACE her back in the city". Who the gently caress would say that or think that if they just decided their wife had gone missing? You want to throw off the detectives trying to find your wife? Sure you do, when you know you killed her.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Oh god :gonk: that was one of the most gut-wrenching documentaries I've ever seen.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I would recommend The Thin Blue Line by Errol Morris as another great true crime doc. Blue Line also has a pretty damning recording that gave me chills when I heard it in the film.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

I don't know. Why should we take his word for it? The best answer is "because he's not the liar and the sociopath, Bob is" but Doug Durst has absolutely every reason in the world to say "Bob is full of poo poo, it didn't happen like that."

1) Because it makes Bob look worse
2) It protects the reputation of his dead father

But lets not forget that Doug would have been like 4 or 5 years old when his mother died, with probably absolutely no memory of it. So unless he actually remembers what happened and that it didn't happen the way that Bob described it, I doubt we could take his word for it. Because I'm sure Doug was TOLD "it didn't happen that way" and so he believes it.

I realize I'm playing devil's advocate and am being a bit :tinfoil: but I don't think I'd believe a word that comes out of Doug Durst's mouth either.
I agree with this. I don't believe anything that either of them say.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Jolo posted:

I would recommend The Thin Blue Line by Errol Morris as another great true crime doc. Blue Line also has a pretty damning recording that gave me chills when I heard it in the film.

Been seeing this on Netflix lately; might give it a go later on.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just wanna say that the moment that endeared me to Robert Durst the most was when they were playing that old tape of testimony and it went something like this:

:cop: "Are you aware that your brother Douglas hired body guards to protect himself from you?"
:unsmigghh: "Yes"
:cop: "Why would he do that?"
:unsmigghh: "Because he's a pussy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Doug Durst appears to be a complete slimeball so I see no reason to believe his version of the events either. The family also probably knew and didn't want to deal with the headache and clammed the hell up.

• Locked thread