Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Mike_V posted:

Doug Durst appears to be a complete slimeball so I see no reason to believe his version of the events either. The family also probably knew and didn't want to deal with the headache and clammed the hell up.

He looks like the Penguin.

The Danny Devito version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Douglas Durst put out this statement when he was arrested so I don't think he's going to protect Robert beyond making sure his family doesn't get any blowback.

“We are relieved and also grateful to everyone who assisted in the arrest of Robert Durst. We hope he will finally be held accountable for all he has done.”

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I rewatched All Good Things out of curiosity for what made Robert feel he had to set the record straight. I wonder now if he didn't like the "Malvern Bump" character getting credit for the "Deborah Lehrman" kill.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I hope they have follow-up interviews with some of the people featured, primarily Kathy's mother and Jeanine Pirro. Her "son of a bitch!" after being shown the letter in episode six was amazing.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Is the LAPD good for anything but wanton brutality? Jesus christ, a case breaking piece of evidence just sitting in her house that had to be unearthed by a documentary film crew.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

TheChad posted:

He looks like the Penguin.

The Danny Devito version.

I see him as a chubby Jeff Goldblum.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ummmm, Douglas Durst is Jon Lovitz. Sorry you guys didn't realize it sooner.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
Just blew through the first 5 episodes in two sittings. Holy poo poo, the envelope :tviv:

That gave me the chills, literally. This documentary is incredibly well done. Piece by piece, layer by layer... I can't stop watching. Andrew Jarecki should just dedicate his career to true crime documentaries like this and Capturing the Friedmans. That was one of those films that I have no interest in ever watching again because of the subject matter, but has always stuck with me because of how poignant it was.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Wait, so you haven't seen the last episode yet? You know how it ends, right?

---

The other day my sister asked me if there's anything else "like Serial" out there.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Why hasn't this blown up like Serial did?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

teraflame posted:

Serial was a free podcast which anyone could access. This is limited to those with HBO and those willing to pirate it.

Plus, it took Serial 6-7 weeks to blow up, a timeline this show didn't have.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

teraflame posted:

"The Jinx" is a lovely name and, like Silicon Valley, great things on HBO often don't become mainsteam popular.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

All I could think of when Bob was talking about how he had a bunch of "important sounding titles" was Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

teraflame posted:

what are you talking about, it did

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Krazyface posted:

Wait, so you haven't seen the last episode yet? You know how it ends, right?

I watched the last episode immediately after posting that. All I really knew was that he was arrested in New Orleans, I didn't know any specifics. I'm glad I didn't, because that finale was incredible.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The reveal of the letter is so powerful it almost makes you miss the loving dorky archer's bow and ninja sais mounted on Sareb's wall.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Watched All Good Things last night. Terrible movie but may be worth watching if you loved The Jinx. It's at the very most a decent companion piece to The Jinx.

The shameless name changes are some of the best things in the movie.

Kathleen "Kathy" McCormick > Katherine "Katie" McCarthy
Jeanine Pirro > Janet Rizzo
Susan Berman > Deborah Lehrman

And the oddest one:
Morris Black > Malvern Bump

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ruddiger posted:

The reveal of the letter is so powerful it almost makes you miss the loving dorky archer's bow and ninja sais mounted on Sareb's wall.

Oh thank god I'm not the only one who thought that.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It was really off-putting that Bob would end every conversation with "Bye bye"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mike_V posted:

It was really off-putting that Bob would end every conversation with "Bye bye"

On the contrary, I find it totally believable that a serial killer would end his calls with a creepy "bye bye"

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

stuart scott posted:

Is the LAPD good for anything but wanton brutality? Jesus christ, a case breaking piece of evidence just sitting in her house that had to be unearthed by a documentary film crew.

Seriously. Oh, we have a letter and envelope written by the killer. Maybe we should see if the victim has anything with matching handwriting.

Nah.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

User-Friendly posted:

I hope they have follow-up interviews with some of the people featured, primarily Kathy's mother and Jeanine Pirro. Her "son of a bitch!" after being shown the letter in episode six was amazing.

This was my favorite moment. it took her a beat to grok what she was holding, too. And then it's like, finally something someone can get him on.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Another recommendation: Not a documentary, but the Slate article last year about the woman who inspired the "welfare queen" stereotype is similar--full of weird twists, murky histories and creepy implications.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I just watched devil beards other thing Capturing the Friedmans on youtube and the hindsight on it isn't very great. Omitting interviews, co-defendants, majority of victims and what not.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

axeil posted:

On the contrary, I find it totally believable that a serial killer would end his calls with a creepy "bye bye"

I wasn't commenting on the believability of it. I said it was off-putting.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I Am A Robot posted:

Seriously. Oh, we have a letter and envelope written by the killer. Maybe we should see if the victim has anything with matching handwriting.

Nah.
They did this years ago. A low level handwriting analyst first pinned it on Susan's manager. By the time they got someone else on it and enough samples of Durst's writing they blew off the case because Texas already charged him then ignored it for 9 years until the documentary happened.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I'm interested in how the original case was such a fuckup. He had to have help from his family/powerful father to get the police to lay off the investigation like that.

And the doorman who reportedly said he saw his wife arrive home tells another investigator that he never saw her arrive. Was he lying or did he misremember or what?

Also Douglas Durst should be in jail, I'm not sure what for but the guy is obviously guilty of some heinous poo poo.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

if I remember right, the doorman seeing her was one of those details that Berman "leaked" to the press while they were trying to drive the narrative

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

maniacripper posted:

I'm interested in how the original case was such a fuckup. He had to have help from his family/powerful father to get the police to lay off the investigation like that.

And the doorman who reportedly said he saw his wife arrive home tells another investigator that he never saw her arrive. Was he lying or did he misremember or what?

Also Douglas Durst should be in jail, I'm not sure what for but the guy is obviously guilty of some heinous poo poo.

It was a missing person case at first, so their theory was that she probably just took off. In that era they wouldn't have been able to trace her whereabouts by cell phone records or anything of that nature. Also, didn't one of the advisers on Serial say that something like 40% of homicides are unsolved? I can't imagine the solve rate was better back then than it is now.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

This isnt mentionned in the series at all, but Durst was suspected in at least two other cases of disappeared young women. The second was a strong enough case that Durst himself thought he was going to be indicted. Strangely all 3 women, if you count his first wife and her maiden name, had the initials KM.

http://gawker.com/the-other-disappearances-connected-to-robert-durst-1691889568

Also, I have no evidence for this at all, but did anyone else think it was strange that according to Doug Durst, Seymour Durst died the morning after Robert went to the hospital to reconcile with him?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished watching this earlier today. It's very, very good though it apes Errol Morris' style from The Thin Blue Line very, very hard. That's a good style to ape, though.

I guess what I come away from this is wondering what has actually changed. Before the letter and confession it was still incredibly obvious that Robert Durst was a psychopathic murderer (How anyone bought his explanation for the third victim is beyond me). It's great that he's been arrested again, though I won't be surprised should he walk away from a conviction yet again. Hopefully time will show otherwise.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

eshock posted:

This isnt mentionned in the series at all, but Durst was suspected in at least two other cases of disappeared young women. The second was a strong enough case that Durst himself thought he was going to be indicted. Strangely all 3 women, if you count his first wife and her maiden name, had the initials KM.

http://gawker.com/the-other-disappearances-connected-to-robert-durst-1691889568

Also, I have no evidence for this at all, but did anyone else think it was strange that according to Doug Durst, Seymour Durst died the morning after Robert went to the hospital to reconcile with him?

Oh god. Bob killed both his parents!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

axeil posted:

Lawyers can still argue that doesn't mean anything because Bob's not a detective and couldn't really know that.

I'm thinking the LAPD got some more serious evidence from the film makers and this is an actual slam dunk, unlike the "slam dunk" in Galveston.

Then again the guy's a known flight risk and rumor has it he was trying to go to Cuba so maybe they had to jump the gun a bit.
yeah I can't believe they waited so long to make an arrest. I heard when they did arrest him he was checking into a hotel under a fake name. Authorities are super lucky he wasn't already out of the country, he could've bailed right after that second interview

update edit - yeah he almost flew the coop:

quote:

Durst, who appeared in court wearing an orange prison uniform and shackles, was arrested last week after federal agents tracked his cell phone, according to information presented in court Monday.

Investigators knew he'd left his Houston condo with five suitcases on March 9. And, since a warrant allowed them to track his cell phone, they saw when it pinged a tower 85 miles east, in Beaumont, Texas.

But suddenly, he had stopped using it. Investigators thought the trail had gone cold.

"They had no indication of his movement," said Jim O'Hearn, an investigator for the Orleans Parrish District Attorney's Office.

But then, authorities tracked him to New Orleans after he called his voice mail twice from a Marriott there, O'Hearn testified. That's where FBI agents found him and arrested him.

Last week, court documents revealed Durst had a loaded .38-caliber revolver, 5 ounces of marijuana, his passport and birth certificate, a neck-to-head latex mask with salt-and-pepper hair attached and more than $40,000 cash, mostly in $100 bills.

Among his possessions, he also had a UPS tracking number. The package was later intercepted by the FBI, prosecutors said in court Monday.

It contained clothing and more than $100,000 in cash.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 23, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

I realize I'm playing devil's advocate and am being a bit :tinfoil: but I don't think I'd believe a word that comes out of Doug Durst's mouth either.

Couldn't agree more about Doug Dursts character. Isn't this sought of an Occams Razor type thing? Let's be honest, it's a little far fetched to believe his dad just got one of his son's out of bed in the middle of the night to say hi to his mum before she jumped off a roof. That version raises way more questions than answers.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
It was a "Don't do it. Think of our son" kinda thing.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Another unsolved missing person investigation was just opened on Durst, seperate from the other two in California that I linked earlier.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/24/authorities-say-robert-durst-linked-to-171-disappearance-vermont-college/

That brings his suspected murder count up to 6 humans, 7 dogs, and a cat.

edit: Counting Morris Black as one of the 6 even though he admitted to that one.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I marathoned this in one setting and man, what a ride. I'm surprised people thought he was likable, he was mostly just full of excuses and came off as super callous. It until 5 and 6, when I saw how pathetic he had become, that I cared about him at all. Being shuffled away from his family building, getting arrested for feebly walking up steps, and not even being discussed by his brother made me realize that whatever power he once had was long gone. Which, while still riveting, took a lot of his menace away from him. If he was still a real big shot with the protection of his family, this wouldn't be happening.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
People said likeable but I think a more appropriate term was pitiable. He's a doddering old kook who speaks softly with an assortment of strange facial tics and a preponderence for gassiness. I think the feeling is better summed up that they want to pick him up and put him in a handbag, like an ugly pet lizard!

Of course after that initial feeling it's good to focus on how his personality is a thin mask that has been cultivated by a life of wealthy entitlement, anger, disdain for others, and years of elusiveness. To seem as harmless as possible while being evil.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I didn't pity him at all. It was clear from the beginning that he was a shifty liar, so I just saw him as a spoiled controlling rich kid who murdered innocent people to get rid of his self-made problems. You don't feel like being part of the family business? Boo hoo, go take your millions and do something else that matters. No sympathy there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It's not pity because he seemed innocent, it's pity because he seemed to weak and pathetic. A lot of people jump to assume that his crazy eye movements and blinking is proportionally indicative of his constant lying, but such cues are actually one of the least reliable physical indicators of deception.

Much better ones are extreme roteness of stories that don't change between retellings or testimony (indicating extreme rehearsal after fabrication), and of course stumbling blank-outs where he freezes up upon getting asked something he actually didn't anticipate. He had nothing but decades to practice his cover stories exhaustively so you didn't see the latter too often, that is until the final episode - the envelope and note threw Durst for a loop and he was suddenly tapdancing on ice and faceplanted when he couldn't even tell Jarecki which signature he wrote. That's why he proceeds to castigate himself so thoroughly in the bathroom, because he thought he'd been bulletproof mr. cool ice up to that point and then it's suddenly "There it is. You're caught."

• Locked thread