Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I think it's human nature to want to try to like a person at first. And for the filmmakers, I assume they had more off-camera interactions with him where he was polite, perhaps even thoughtful.

These new missing persons cases that are coming to light really change my theory of Bob. After watching this, I kind of felt like he just killed people who had become an inconvenience to him, like maybe he didn't enjoy killing itself but just saw it as a solution to a problem. If he was in fact picking up girls and killing them -- and at least the girl who disappeared from in front of his store seems pretty likely -- that seems like a whole different thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I want more info on the Galveston case. Why didn't the DA press him for the location of the head? Did they run down that line of inquiry, even if he claimed he didn't come back for it (not sure exactly what statements were made about this in the show).

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I've also been wondering why there were so few questions about the severed head. Then again, given how visually repulsive and chronically unlikeable morris black was according to everyone who knew him, maybe it's not a surprise that no one was too upset about it missing. :haw: Still, that location of the gunshot was almost certainly why Durst managed to discard it into a trash compactor, volcano or something.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I've also been wondering why there were so few questions about the severed head. Then again, given how visually repulsive and chronically unlikeable morris black was according to everyone who knew him, maybe it's not a surprise that no one was too upset about it missing. :haw: Still, that location of the gunshot was almost certainly why Durst managed to discard it into a trash compactor, volcano or something.

Right... of course Durst won't want to give up the location of the head, and would have said he destroyed it (or maybe he really did destroy it). My point is, that should be a verifiable point in the story. IF the killing was accidental self defense (lol), and GIVEN that he admitted to chopping up and disposing of the body, then he should have no problem saying where the head was. The prosecution should press this since the head would betray his version of events as a lie.

So he probably said he couldn't remember, or that he didn't go back for the head and can't explain why it was missing. But I do want to know how hard the DA went after this line of thinking.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It's very vexing that the shown trial footage didn't revolve around that question at all. I've just been assuming he made sure it disappeared because it's another gunshot in the back of the skull, like Susan Berman. There's no other bodies to support it but I have a hunch that killing his victims that way might be his MO because it's psychologically reflective of his detachment, disdain and feelings of superiority to the people who were "in his way".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

Right... of course Durst won't want to give up the location of the head, and would have said he destroyed it (or maybe he really did destroy it).

As if Robert Durst isn't drinking wine out of Morris Black's polished skull as he sits in his hidden butcher's room at this very moment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wasn't the only evidence that Durst took the head that the bag appeared to be slashed open? I think he could just deny that he took the head at all, and could just say he assumed it floated away. Or did he confess to taking the head?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It seems reasonable to imagine he might have been ready to dump it along with the other garbage bags and then had a sudden realization in the moment of disposal just how a floating head could implicate him if it were ever found, so he retrieved the bag and then did something else with the horrendous contents. If it was in the mix it certainly would've been found with all the other parts in that strong shoreline current (remember that none of the bags sunk so he had to reconsider his actions).

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
There was a point in the story where Durst mentioned that he went back to the dumpsite the next morning and got scared of being found out, as the bags never went anywhere. I forget what he said about the head but I was pretty sure he said he took the head then.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TheRationalRedditor posted:

- the envelope and note threw Durst for a loop and he was suddenly tapdancing on ice and faceplanted when he couldn't even tell Jarecki which signature he wrote.

Which is kind of funny, because wasn't Bob's whole point "They are block letters, they all look the same, how could anyone tell difference"? He should have just gone all-in on that theory and said "I just said they all look the same, why ask me now which one I wrote?"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So since Bob got arrested AFTER the last interview, I wouldn't be surprised if he was climbing those stairs to kill his brother. I wonder what was in that bag?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Grondoth posted:

I wonder what was in that bag?

A bridge, a boat, a wrench, a shovel...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
He was just going to return some video tapes.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

maniacripper posted:

There was a point in the story where Durst mentioned that he went back to the dumpsite the next morning and got scared of being found out, as the bags never went anywhere. I forget what he said about the head but I was pretty sure he said he took the head then.

Would such a bag float in salt seawater but sink in the lake he dumped the pieces of his first wife ?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Salt water is more dense than fresh water, so things are more buoyant.

Man rewatching this I hope he brings that whole family down with him. That Private Investigator stuff is damning, they all knew.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 26, 2015

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

Grondoth posted:

Man rewatching this I hope he brings that whole family down with him. That Private Investigator stuff is damning, they all knew.

Yeah it was pretty disgusting when ol Dougie got that award and the presenter praised his family values.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

the great deceiver posted:

Just binged through all six episodes; Bob didn't strike me as charming at all. Maybe in a superficial sociopath way but I really did not have a whole lot of sympathy for him.

I don't think anybody has any sympathy for him, and maybe the only person in the world who did (the Mafia daughter) he killed. The guy's a creepy slimeball, but I couldn't help but laugh at some parts of the interview. Just the way he was casually talking about cutting up Morris as if he were telling some fishing story made me laugh out of discomfort and disbelief. And he seemed to lack all self-awareness, like he had no idea how hosed-up he was coming across.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

King Vidiot posted:

I don't think anybody has any sympathy for him, and maybe the only person in the world who did (the Mafia daughter) he killed. The guy's a creepy slimeball, but I couldn't help but laugh at some parts of the interview. Just the way he was casually talking about cutting up Morris as if he were telling some fishing story made me laugh out of discomfort and disbelief. And he seemed to lack all self-awareness, like he had no idea how hosed-up he was coming across.

They didn't explain it in the show - but I seem to recall reading a huge part of the Galveston defense was a diagnosis that he has Aspergers. So the reason he will so calmly talk in detail about dismembering a body is because you know...autism.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How does he have a wife. And she had some loving attitude on here it was sexy as heck

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

How does he have a wife. And she had some loving attitude on here it was sexy as heck

He's obscenely rich

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

If literally all you cared about in a spouse was having a ton of money, and if you were able to keep all of your opinions to yourself to avoid setting off your murderous spouse's broken lizard brain, then I guess Bob Durst would make a good husband.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Did he and the second? wife ever even live together, I wonder?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

"The Jinx" is a lovely name and, like Silicon Valley, great things on HBO often don't become mainsteam popular.

Yeah it was "advertised" really oddly on HBO. I ignored it, thinking it was about some mob gambling informer or something. They really did a horrible job "selling" it. I only started watching it on demand because we couldn't find anything else at the time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think it works well enough thematically (If this guy isn't a murderer, then he is the unluckiest fucker to ever live), but yeah the title alone doesn't really sell the show.

I wonder what else they could have called it? "Rich Old White Dude (Probably) Killed Several People: The HBO Documentary Miniseries"?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Durst did refer to himself as a "jinx" in the first interview I think.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Durst did refer to himself as a "jinx" in the first interview I think.

Yeah, it's funny that he thinks of himself as this thing that just "happened" to Kathie, like some force of nature that came into her life and made it worse. It's like the closest he really comes to remorse.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dear Sergio posted:

Yeah it was pretty disgusting when ol Dougie got that award and the presenter praised his family values.

The presenter specifically said that the family is known throughout New York AND NATIONWIDE as family values.

Funny that the bolded part is what pissed me off the most. As if more than a handful people outside New York City ever heard of the Durst family NOT in the context of your serial killer brother.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Did he and the second? wife ever even live together, I wonder?
It was pretty strongly hinted that it was a sham marriage, basically if they're married she doesn't have to testify against him and he doesn't have to kill her.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Fast Luck posted:

It was pretty strongly hinted that it was a sham marriage, basically if they're married she doesn't have to testify against him and he doesn't have to kill her.

But what are they getting from the relationship? I'm not sure why they're together in the first place

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
^If I were to guess, she gets to be obscenely rich, while he gets to have additional legal protection(husband-wife privileges and poo poo) and aid from a direction that wants him to keep control of family assets.

teraflame posted:

Why hasn't this blown up like Serial did?

On top of everything else, I think it's because there's nothing to argue about and call each other names over.

Serial ended with nothing really settled, you could still think Aidan was guilty or not guilty, could think all sorts of things about Jay, think about all sorts of ways stuff could've gone down since the podcast dove into those details and didn't answer them. That's kinda not the case here. At the end of this, the only thing to argue about is who sucks the most, cause holy poo poo there are so many people in here who suck. Robert himself, his Lady Macbeth new wife, "some people need killin" lawyer guy, bald juror, the whole Durst family who couldn't be more transparent that they know something but are just using their money to hide from it... that's a hard #1 slot to pin down.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Oh my god, watching that second interview now.... getting chills :ohdear:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I don't think Dick DeGuerin sucks. I think Dick DeGuerin is an awesome lawyer who did a great job fabricating a story to achieve reasonable doubt. I think if anyone sucks, it's the Galveston DA for not bringing more charges like something related to dismemberment, and/or running a poor case.

I mean you can go ahead and not like criminal defense lawyers I guess, but if you have what had been described as an open and shut case handed to you and bobbled it, that's on you, not the defense.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Serial was also more accessible since not everyone has HBO.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Has anybody seen Jarecki's All Good Things? I'm curious about it since it was made before Jarecki had his "smoking gun", and I was wanting to see how he portrayed the facts and conjecture about the murders. Also Ryan Gosling.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Has anybody seen Jarecki's All Good Things? I'm curious about it since it was made before Jarecki had his "smoking gun", and I was wanting to see how he portrayed the facts and conjecture about the murders. Also Ryan Gosling.

It's a bad bad bad movie. But still an interesting companion piece to The Jinx. There's a pretty wild theory that Jarecki threw in there that will probably throw you for a loop. It will fill in a few gaps for you though, but it is a very bad movie.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mahoning posted:

It's a bad bad bad movie. But still an interesting companion piece to The Jinx. There's a pretty wild theory that Jarecki threw in there that will probably throw you for a loop. It will fill in a few gaps for you though, but it is a very bad movie.

Since it's such a bad movie, would you care to spoil it since I don't really want to watch it?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I watched it a year or two back when it was on Netflix and the only thing I remember about it is 'Kathy''s brother is played by Nick Offerman sans mustache.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Frostwerks posted:

Since it's such a bad movie, would you care to spoil it since I don't really want to watch it?

I didn't think All Good Things was the worst movie in the world. It's sort of in the same zone as any half-assed biopic.

The big crackpot theory in the movie is that Susan Berman was not a direct killing by Robert Durst but more of a murder-for-hire situation.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Basically, the movie says Morris Black killed Susan Berman and Bob Durst killed Morris Black to cover up that crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Basically, the movie says Morris Black killed Susan Berman and Bob Durst killed Morris Black to cover up that crime

Alright that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard :psyduck:

• Locked thread