Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

TheMcD posted:

Did anyone call those hint lines? I have to wonder if they were actually helpful, or if they were true to their name and just gave vague hints.

I guess the proper business model would be to be helpful and explain exactly what you need to do, that way the customer is more likely to call again when they get stuck five minutes later.
You bet people called them, Sierra's hintlines/books were incredibly more profitable than the games to the point they made them a cornerstone of their design philosophy. Bullshit sells.

I think the lines mostly consisted of pre-recorded hints with live support available if you were really stuck. The hintbooks had a bunch of development trivia and scratch-away answers that went from vague to spelled out so you could decide how much help you needed.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Tiggum posted:

That bird (who I think is supposed to sound like Groucho Marx?) has a ridiculous number of lines and IIRC is completely pointless. I guess someone just wanted to record a bunch of "humourous" insults.
Hey it worked for KQ6.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Whoa, Sierra still exists?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JQkRp-VFXQ

• Locked thread