Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

himajinga posted:

I'll freely admit that I grew up in a suburb and having lived there decided it wasn't for me. No big deal, tried it, didn't like it, did something else that I like better.

My real gripe is this nonsense like I have some secret desire to move to the suburbs that I won't cop to because there's some screw-up on my part that is preventing me from doing so and that moving to the suburbs it is the only natural and desirable outcome for anyone. I have a mate, an advanced degree, a well paying job, and a life I really really enjoy and am saving up to buy a house in the city, I just prefer living in the city and there is not an ounce of my being that would prefer living in the suburbs. It's really not that big of a deal. You want to live in the suburbs? Cool. Not what I would pick but we value different things, which is totally fine. It's this weird implication that I secretly am jealous of people in suburbs because they "have it all figured out" and spend less money for more space as if whoever pays the least per square foot wins or whatever that chaps my rear end. I'm sure it's the same thing with city folk implying that suburbanites are all anti-culture rednecks that gave up.

Settle down Francis, you're obviously a rational adult who prefers living in a City, you have no place in this discussion. Strident opinions only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Pauline Kael posted:

Your life sounds like a real adventure! You should post about it!

it is thi s is me

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005

Its a pic of me chillin at the beach but ur all in the city so u cant see it i guess

roymorrison fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 18, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

it is thi s is me

Nice try, Spaghetti Man

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Pauline Kael posted:

Settle down Francis, you're obviously a rational adult who prefers living in a City, you have no place in this discussion. Strident opinions only.

LISTEN HERE BUDDY I- oh wait I'll see myself out

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

himajinga posted:

I'm sure it's the same thing with city folk implying that suburbanites are all anti-culture rednecks that gave up.

because they had kids so they spend more time and effort on their families. It's tough to raise kids, so you just do fewer "cool things". Then again, it's cool to be great parents and spend quality time with your children.

Am I projecting a cis-gender traditional patriarchal nuclear family structure?

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
get your poo poo together cityfags, you're just jealous of your successful suburbanite homeowner peers!

(There is only one definition of 'success'. Find a high-paying job. Get married. Move to the suburbs. Buy a home. Have kids. Consume consume consume until you die. You cannot be happy without these things, and if you're happy living in the city without any of them then you must be lying to yourself.)

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Pauline Kael posted:

Spaghetti Man

sry you got me confused with someone

edit: ohhhh i see now

a misanthrope fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 18, 2015

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

caberham posted:

Am I projecting a cis-gender traditional patriarchal nuclear family structure?

figuratively shaking

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

it is thi s is me

No, wait, I found A misnathrope. Looks like 24x7 non stop craziness in the city!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Pauline Kael posted:

No, wait, I found A misnathrope. Looks like 24x7 non stop craziness in the city!

pls do not dox me

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Devil Wears Wings posted:

get your poo poo together cityfags, you're just jealous of your successful suburbanite homeowner peers!

(There is only one definition of 'success'. Find a high-paying job. Get married. Move to the suburbs. Buy a home. Have kids. Consume consume consume until you die. You cannot be happy without these things, and if you're happy living in the city without any of them then you must be lying to yourself.)

so... city dwellers don't consume? what, do you posses the power of photosynthesis or something? wow maybe I am completely turned around on this issue!

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Pauline Kael posted:

I hate people so much.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

pls do not dox me

mad jelly over your hamsterdance shirt tho. i could make quite a splash at the school board meeting decked out with that

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Pauline Kael posted:

so... city dwellers don't consume? what, do you posses the power of photosynthesis or something? wow maybe I am completely turned around on this issue!

yes obviously city dwellers do not consume anything, that is clearly what I meant

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Can we all at least agree that whether or not suburbs are superior to city living (it's not), they are both preferable to living in the middle of nowhere in some dying rural wasteland, where the one thing to do is stare into the distance as everything falls into decay and ruin because the coal ran out years ago?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I spent 10 years living in suburbs and it's really cool. i love how going anywhere is a bare minimum commitment of an hour, unless you're just picking up food in town, which still takes half an hour.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

Can we all at least agree that whether or not suburbs are superior to city living (it's not), they are both preferable to living in the middle of nowhere in some dying rural wasteland, where the one thing to do is stare into the distance as everything falls into decay and ruin because the coal ran out years ago?

I too enjoyed The Hunger Games movies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pauline Kael posted:

I too enjoyed The Hunger Games movies

Rural Pennsylvania is a sad place.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, taking the subway is so convenient after work

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Rural Pennsylvania is a sad place.

so is small town pennsylvania, which is basically rural pennsylvania with an empty town square

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

caberham posted:

Oh yeah, taking the subway is so convenient after work

CityGoons dont work, Mr caberham. They get everything they need from their daddies. Either bio- or sugar-

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

RBA Starblade posted:

No.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
goons and redditors mostly grew up in suburbs so they're just doing a gently caress you dad thing until they get out of college and realize when you don't live in a giant hotel with your friends with no reason to leave 24/7 it's kind of poo poo to live in the city

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

goons and redditors mostly grew up in suburbs so they're just doing a gently caress you dad thing until they get out of college and realize when you don't live in a giant hotel with your friends with no reason to leave 24/7 it's kind of poo poo to live in the city

grew up on a farm. think suburbs and farms are lame.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pauline Kael posted:

CityGoons dont work, Mr caberham. They get everything they need from their daddies. Either bio- or sugar-

Yeah but look cool. Suburbanites are just gross fat basement dwellers :spergin:

I still live with my mom

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

one day you are going to wake up, and you are 44 and you will walk out to your your driveway and look around at the hundreds of other yous with similar houses, cars and driveways

it is going to hit you all at once, and you are going to break down right there on the driveway and cry your eyes out because you've wasted your life

you can barely feel anymore and the height of the past week was Pedro coming over to do your lawn

you will realize you've been having the exact same conversations with your wife, whom you stopped loving decades ago, your kids who you can't connect with, your neighbors who are as terrified of human interaction as you and you are going to curse yourself for being such a huge loving human being and for not realizing you willingly moved yourself and your family to a limbo where life is under constant assault until there is hardly anything left for anyone to feel. you are trapped here forever, in this pocket dimension and the world will move on without you and in 5000 years you are still going to be a human being

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

been out of college 8 years now, love living in the city, hate the suburbs

please generalize more :allears:

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

*adjusts black-framed glasses*

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vorik posted:

one day you are going to wake up, and you are 44 and you will walk out to your your driveway and look around at the hundreds of other yous with similar houses, cars and driveways

it is going to hit you all at once, and you are going to break down right there on the driveway and cry your eyes out because you've wasted your life

you can barely feel anymore and the height of the past week was Pedro coming over to do your lawn

you will realize you've been having the exact same conversations with your wife, whom you stopped loving decades ago, your kids who you can't connect with, your neighbors who are as terrified of human interaction as you and you are going to curse yourself for being such a huge loving human being and for not realizing you willingly moved yourself and your family to a limbo where life is under constant assault until there is hardly anything left for anyone to feel. you are trapped here forever, in this pocket dimension and the world will move on without you and in 5000 years you are still going to be a human being

i am 100% positive that living in the city doesn't make your life not worthless and atomized

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

That's because it's the CITY mission, not the suburb mission

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

*adjusts black-framed glasses*

I like my black framed glasses :colbert:

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

I like my black framed glasses :colbert:

How else are you supposed to see? Answer me that! :owned:

MisterTurtle
Jul 10, 2001

Cecil Rhodes owns your life.

Nathilus posted:

I've been in some burbclaves that were so bland and samey that it traumatized me. Like, once we were driving through a north austin suburb to get to a friend of mine's parents' house. We all lived and went to school in San Antonio so austin trips were fairly common and easy. But we kept going through this god damned suburb and every block was exactly the same. I got a very sickening feeling and also felt like I was detached from reality. Like, the only way I can explain it is a little voice going "You are now entering: The Stepford Wives. Have a nice day." accompanied by dissociation and massive dread. I expect I'd feel the exact same way if I got abducted and stuck in the Hypercube or shrunk down and put in a gerbil run.

what im trying to say is ur thread triggered me, OP.

This sums up the whole of Northern Virginia quite nicely. You can drive for miles and feel like you've gone absolutely nowhere.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Did anyone in this thread actually grow up in the city? Living in the city as a 20-something with disposable income loving owns but imagining growing up here as a child and going to the local schools is depressing as poo poo

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

himajinga posted:

How else are you supposed to see? Answer me that! :owned:

obviously the only acceptable glasses are those in the style of Successful Suburban Homeowner Clark Griswold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Did anyone in this thread actually grow up in the city? Living in the city as a 20-something with disposable income loving owns but imagining growing up here as a child and going to the local schools is depressing as poo poo

Any parent who raises their kid willingly in a City, and sends them to public schools, is a bad parent. Even a modest suburban school district is light years better than even the best City schools, except for the thinnest crust at the top of the NYC or other big city districts, and good luck getting your kids into one of those if you're not connected.

• Locked thread