Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Devil Wears Wings posted:

obviously the only acceptable glasses are those in the style of Successful Suburban Homeowner Clark Griswold

so you admit to wearing problem glasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Pauline Kael posted:

so you admit to wearing problem glasses?

yup

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Did anyone in this thread actually grow up in the city? Living in the city as a 20-something with disposable income loving owns but imagining growing up here as a child and going to the local schools is depressing as poo poo

You go out a lot more and do stuff with your friends outside because your home is too small for guests. Or that there's always some other sibling in the house so house parties or house gatherings are kind of rare. But it really really depends on the person. I was kind of boring so I stuck primarily to video games and shopping at the nerd mall. I missed out on niche city stuff like break dancing clubs and rockabilly clubs.

You can have people who grew up on a farm and hate the outdoors. Or people who grew up in the city and hate hiking because eewwwww bugs and mosquitoes. I always think people who grew up in smaller towns or suburbs have higher chances of being "more sheltered", "inward", "slower".

It's really easy to spot out of towners everywhere I guess but in the cities, they kind of freak out with the tighter spaces, their tolerance for public space is lower, are bad at dodging weaving human traffic, and are less observant over everyday minor details. Then again, as a city boy, I'm a terrible driver without street lamps and have weaker eyesight in the dark.

Oh and I recently learned that I must leave my house anytime lighting strikes If I ever lived in Florida

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Did anyone in this thread actually grow up in the city? Living in the city as a 20-something with disposable income loving owns but imagining growing up here as a child and going to the local schools is depressing as poo poo

lmoa

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
"Suburbs" is an extremely general term. I'm sure living in a cookie cutter suburb in the middle of nowhere is terrible, but the suburbs just outside major cities can be pretty cool. There's plenty of family-owned restaurants and bars, some of which are on par with anything you'll find in the city, it's not just Applebee's or whatever. Also you're in close enough proximity that you can commute into the city any time you want for concerts or festivals, but don't have to pay high rent to live in a dilapidated 200 year old building. Well hope this helps

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sd6 posted:

"Suburbs" is an extremely general term. I'm sure living in a cookie cutter suburb in the middle of nowhere is terrible, but the suburbs just outside major cities can be pretty cool. There's plenty of family-owned restaurants and bars, some of which are on par with anything you'll find in the city, it's not just Applebee's or whatever. Also you're in close enough proximity that you can commute into the city any time you want for concerts or festivals, but don't have to pay high rent to live in a dilapidated 200 year old building. Well hope this helps

That's called a European village

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I guess the best answer to where you should live is...

somewhere in the middle

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

yeah it's not like suburbanites aren't extremely allergic to anything that spends MAH TAX DOLLARS, including funding for schools

america's public school system is p. shite wherever you go nowadays

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

america routinely produces cutting-edge research and nobel prize winners, you're all way too harsh on your public schooling system

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Yeah, even back 20 years ago my folks made sure I went to public school but had extra studies given by them when I got back. It was the best in homeschool weirdness plus authentic lockershoving. They were right though, learning to roll with a punch is an essential life skill that too many nerds today grow up without.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

opus111 posted:

america routinely produces cutting-edge research and nobel prize winners, you're all way too harsh on your public schooling system

those researchers and prize winners come almost entirely from affluent backgrounds, AKA parents who can give them an expensive private education

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

those researchers and prize winners come almost entirely from affluent backgrounds, AKA parents who can give them an expensive private education

Most tend to be white :eng101: You have to admit, "Poor neighbourhood" "crime" "good schools" pretty much means - no black people

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

caberham posted:

Most tend to be white :eng101: You have to admit, "Poor neighbourhood" "crime" "good schools" pretty much means - no black people

yeah but authentic culture

also, it looks like there is an inverse relationship between density/frequency of gay poetry slam clubs and quality of schools

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I live in an urban condo. I grew up in the suburbs and they are really depressing. Every suburb is entirely dependent on having a car and has all the same chains. In the city I can bike wherever and get poo poo tons of awesome ethnic food. In conclusion git gud scrubs

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I've lived in both and don't feel strongly either one way or another. I think tropical island is preferable, so either choice is poo poo in comparison.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Laslow posted:

I've lived in both and don't feel strongly either one way or another. I think tropical island is preferable, so either choice is poo poo in comparison.

same. I just want more money in my life. Actually I don't care as long as I live right next to some airport express rail and get to the airport in no time.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Pauline Kael posted:

Any parent who raises their kid willingly in a City, and sends them to public schools, is a bad parent. Even a modest suburban school district is light years better than even the best City schools, except for the thinnest crust at the top of the NYC or other big city districts, and good luck getting your kids into one of those if you're not connected.

Tell that to all the poor Asian kids who ace the Stuy test because their parents make sure they study their asses off.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I live in an urban condo. I grew up in the suburbs and they are really depressing. Every suburb is entirely dependent on having a car and has all the same chains. In the city I can bike wherever and get poo poo tons of awesome ethnic food. In conclusion git gud scrubs

It's over suburbailures

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

caberham posted:

same. I just want more money in my life. Actually I don't care as long as I live right next to some airport express rail and get to the airport in no time.
Yeah, St. Louis was good for that. No parking, no bullshit. Just take your suitcase and hop on the red line and you're there. Tampa's airport here isn't so bad though. It pretty much a straight shot from the barrier islands and everyone here has a car so getting a ride is no big deal.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

GhostStalker posted:

Tell that to all the poor Asian kids who ace the Stuy test because their parents make sure they study their asses off.

So what are you saying?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Pauline Kael posted:

So what are you saying?

You can get into a good public school in NY without connections if you're willing to study for it?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

opus111 posted:

People always talk about the entire country's schools as if they are one monolithic entity which is retarded because the US has one of the most decentralized education systems out there. Lots of states rate well internationally, but the country as a whole is dragged down by the red states and california

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Can we all at least agree that whether or not suburbs are superior to city living (it's not), they are both preferable to living in the middle of nowhere in some dying rural wasteland, where the one thing to do is stare into the distance as everything falls into decay and ruin because the coal ran out years ago?

Did that, I agree.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

GhostStalker posted:

You can get into a good public school in NY without connections if you're willing to study for it?

Oh I thought maybe you were making the controversial point that parental involvement actually matters a lot more than expenditure per capita... in the area I live, the worst schools are also the ones that spend the most per capita, and all happen to be in the urban cores of the 3 cities that make up the region.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Vorik posted:

one day you are going to wake up, and you are 44 and you will walk out to your your driveway and look around at the hundreds of other yous with similar houses, cars and driveways

it is going to hit you all at once, and you are going to break down right there on the driveway and cry your eyes out because you've wasted your life

you can barely feel anymore and the height of the past week was Pedro coming over to do your lawn

you will realize you've been having the exact same conversations with your wife, whom you stopped loving decades ago, your kids who you can't connect with, your neighbors who are as terrified of human interaction as you and you are going to curse yourself for being such a huge loving human being and for not realizing you willingly moved yourself and your family to a limbo where life is under constant assault until there is hardly anything left for anyone to feel. you are trapped here forever, in this pocket dimension and the world will move on without you and in 5000 years you are still going to be a human being

Did this a couple of years ago in my early 30's. I'm in a good place now.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Pauline Kael posted:

So what are you saying?

what he's saying is that, if kids these days just picked themselves up by their own bootstraps and studied hard,

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

sorry son i know you want a bigger room and more space to play without having to walk thirty minutes to the park without risking getting hit by a car in the street and i know you aren't quite into the whole "theater" scene, and yes, i know the school you go to is poo poo and run-down, but me and your mother decided that living in this human being apartment with too-high rent that we should be spending on raising you would be better for your development, for nebulous reasons. trust me, 8 year old adventurous boy, you don't want to live in a *shudders* SUBURB, there aren't ANY LGBT actors guilds and imported guatemalan pastry shops there! could you even imagine growing up without those experiences?

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 18, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Justin Tyme posted:

sorry son i know you want a bigger room and more space to play without having to walk thirty minutes to the park without risking getting hit by a car in the street and i know you aren't quite into the whole "theater" scene, and yes, i know the school you go to is poo poo and run-down, but me and your mother decided that living in this human being apartment with too-high rent that we should be spending on raising you would be better for your development, for nebulous reasons

Daddy's an alcoholic, but for poetry readings. cant get those just anywhere snap snap snap snap :snap:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

sorry son i know you want a bigger room and more space to play without having to walk thirty minutes to the park without risking getting hit by a car in the street and i know you aren't quite into the whole "theater" scene, and yes, i know the school you go to is poo poo and run-down, but me and your mother decided that living in this human being apartment with too-high rent that we should be spending on raising you would be better for your development, for nebulous reasons

"every neighborhood in every city is literally the projects" - suburbanites

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
ok city guys but can you do this

edit nevermind i guess so

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You guys realize you can enjoy all aspects of the city while living in a suburb not even a 15/20 minute's drive away, it's not like this is some sort of black or white thing. Like, why raise a kid in an apartment in the downtown area when you can just go 20 minutes away and raise a kid in a much better environment? You really think kids give a gently caress about all the human being poo poo adults like about downtown? Yeah your little boy/girl sure is gonna appreciate the hot bar scene just down the street from your apartment. I dunno where you live but where I am from all the best schools are on the peripheries of the city and definitely not where all the "cultural" stuff is. A 20 minute drive is not some sort of prohibitively large distance, but I guess people think "suburbs" are just identical houses and stripmalls for 50 miles in each direction. Suburbs kinda have to be the "suburb" of something.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 18, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

"every neighborhood in every city is literally the projects" - suburbanites

"suburbs are horrible because I am terrified of a lawnmower, how do you guys not chop your feet off" - urban dwellers

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
growing up in the suburbs is great with the added benefit of moving the gently caress away from your parents when you graduate

any single person still living in the suburbs past 20 should probably just kill themselves cause I didn't know anyone in that situation that wasn't either a dead-end suicidal failure or a stereotypical scumbag buying smokes and alcohol for highschoolers

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Justin Tyme posted:

You guys realize you can enjoy all aspects of the city while living in a suburb not even a 15/20 minute's drive away, it's not like this is some sort of black or white thing. Like, why raise a kid in an apartment in the downtown area when you can just go 20 minutes away and raise a kid in a much better environment? You really think kids give a gently caress about all the human being poo poo adults like about downtown? Yeah your little boy/girl sure is gonna appreciate the hot bar scene just down the street from your apartment. I dunno where you live but where I am from all the best schools are on the peripheries of the city and definitely not where all the "cultural" stuff is.

Urban goons mostly don't know how/can't/are prevented by law from driving. 15 miles is a literally insurmountable distance. They'd rather schlep around on city buses than put $30 a week in the tank. TO - how much do you spend on Uber?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Al Nipper posted:

any single person still living in the suburbs past 20 should probably just kill themselves cause I didn't know anyone in that situation that wasn't either a dead-end suicidal failure or a stereotypical scumbag buying smokes and alcohol for highschoolers

hey babe lets go back to my 20 sq/ft apartment with anime posters

or

hey babe lets go back to my awesome house where i have dirt bikes a pool table a bar and a garage plus we can be as noisy as we want loving

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

or

hey babe lets go back to my awesome house where i have dirt bikes a pool table a bar and a garage plus we can be as noisy as we want loving

owning a house just means you are compensating for your penis size or falling to some *insert marxist gobbeldy gook here* american dream blah blah and isn't at all a sign of financial stability or anything

"owning" anything whether it be a boat, house, motorcycle, car, etc isn't a TRUE sign of worth, let me tell you why my extensive anime collection that takes up 75% of my studio apartment that I can barely make end's meet in makes me a superior man in today's society

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

or

counterpoint: there is literally no place in the suburbs where you would be able to pick up women (single moms don't count)

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Al Nipper posted:

growing up in the suburbs is great with the added benefit of moving the gently caress away from your parents when you graduate

Past 20, under 30, I'd more or less agree. I moved from the burbs to college, living downtown junior and senior year, staying in the City until age 25 when I bought a house and got married the next year. City was ok when I was chasing tail in the bar scene, but got sick as hell of digging my car out of on-street parking every time it snowed. Side benefit of that is I had enough equity in said house to sell, and build a new, much bigger house on some land in the exurbs. I know talk of equity and room doesn't light the passions like street mimes and traffic jams, but has it's own satisfaction. Also, I'm not sure where you hipster idiots get the idea that you can only find chain places in the burbs. It might be the case in some places, but a lot of suburbs have been around for 50+ years and have their own history and long term establishments.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

counterpoint: there is literally no place in the suburbs where you would be able to pick up women (single moms don't count)

Good point, no bars, clubs, supermarkets, churches, or any other place where two adults might meet in suburbs. DWW, you must meet some very high quality Xim/Xom/Whatevers in your walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

owning a house just means you are compensating for your penis size or falling to some *insert marxist gobbeldy gook here* american dream blah blah and isn't at all a sign of financial stability or anything

"owning" anything whether it be a boat, house, motorcycle, car, etc isn't a TRUE sign of worth, let me tell you why my extensive anime collection that takes up 75% of my studio apartment that I can barely make end's meet in makes me a superior man in today's society

going "blah blah blah lol marxism" doesn't make something less true

• Locked thread