Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey, living in the city centre is so awesome right guys?

Well you can be cool and hip like these folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKf08vWTkKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Foid One posted:

Just wondering if this is real or a parody, OP?

It's a parody on real estate commercials. But people do live like this, and it's almost the most expensive square footage in the whole wide loving world

average size is 30 sqf per person and expect to pay 700 USD a month

more pictures

http://photoblog.hk/wordpress/38145...%8A%8F%E6%88%BF

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm just going to repost this:

caberham posted:

It's a parody on real estate commercials. But people do live like this, and it's almost the most expensive square footage in the whole wide loving world

average size is 30 sqf per person and expect to pay 700 USD a month

more pictures

http://photoblog.hk/wordpress/38145...%8A%8F%E6%88%BF

Suburbia and backyards are just luxuries :smith: Yeah, there's always stuff to do, different restaurants to try, and things to see in the cities. But it's the lack of personal space and privacy which makes everyone go out all the time because our houses are loving small.

Man, I miss having a nice backyard and having some BBQ with a yard. Nowadays I need a penthouse with a big balcony to make that happen

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, how come housing projects are failures in USA? They work in Singapore and Hong Kong

Pauline Kael posted:

It's not the penthouse, but you might consider being gay married to Three Olives, he has a very nice condo in one of the worst cities in America

600 square feet condo is already middle class standards for a family of 5. Too big of a luxury so I'm going to feel guilty.

He's going to sign a pre-nup so marriage wont work. Tell me which city is the worst city in America.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Right next to a metro stop. Fiber internet. Cheap electricity. Heart of the city!

It's like the best way to deal with obesity.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pauline Kael posted:

I think he lives in Dallas? Or is it Houston. I like Houston marginally more than Dallas. I have to travel to Dallas for work with some regularity, the worst dystopian badly planned urban aggregation this side of Lagos.

Haven't been, my cousin is from Fort Worth, but his family has to drive 1 hour each way just for some freaking dim sum. And it's not even good.

quote:

I also work in NYC, which is a lot better, but sure am glad to see it in the rear view as I take the Amtrak upstate at the end of the day

America needs an HSR already aiya.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
100 USD for a 2 hour trip? Heck, I can go the middle of China with that far :china: Horrible country, but decent trains (if they don't crash)

This is my kind of suburbia.

750 square feet. But train rides take 35 minutes and door to door takes 1 hour. Man so far.

My second favourite city to visit in the world: Tokyo

Life is not as dense but people spend more time in slower trains :smith:

Got to love michael wolf.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you don't have 3 metro lines intersecting you live in a suburb

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

himajinga posted:

SE 24th & Hawthorne in Portland is not a suburb you dildo

It's still under developed trash

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

it's pretty quiet in the burbs. thats one of the main attractions.

I'm hosed up. Got to have some sort of background noise or else I have trouble sleeping. The wind noise from an opened window is actually pretty noticeable. Especially in a condo 76 floors up

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everyone here is freaking deluded with their life choices.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Lol @ "raise your kids in the suburbs"

the suburbs are the worst place to raise a kid unless you want a sheltered, emotionally stunted wreck of a young adult who believes that everyone is a white upper middle class homeowner and that ribs from applebees are the height of cuisine

Big city kids can be just as culturally boring and dead. They just happen to know how to, ride trains, avoid getting mugged/stabbed, hit the video game arcade. It's not like they will start liking museums, history, art, and music festivals or whatever. People in Tokyo, New York and LA might dress more fashionable but people can still be as ignorant/boring as anyone else.

I enjoyed Washington DC with all it's hipster restaurants and museums, but the residents there can be even more vile and racist in subtle ways compared to your KKK redneck.

As for exposure to fancy cuisine or foreign, that's what vacations are for. Or try cooking your own food I guess because your kitchen is big enough, and your fridge is actually big enough to stock up on items. Daily grocery trips loving suck and that's even counting going to some over priced farmer's market. Can't really prep food for bigger crowds and house parties as well.

God drat it, give me a Costco

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pauline Kael posted:

How is that private? You share it with how many thousands of people? By that measure, the suburb I live in affords me 2 giant pools, several golf courses, riding/biking/snowmobiling trails, waterfalls, boating on 2 big rivers, a community center with and indoor pool and multiple basketball courts, and so on

What a freaking sprawl. Cool if you have a car though. Not cool if you got to mow the lawn all the time

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

I'm a time traveler from 1995 AMA

Arcades and public transportation are just poo poo in North America.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

himajinga posted:

I'm sure it's the same thing with city folk implying that suburbanites are all anti-culture rednecks that gave up.

because they had kids so they spend more time and effort on their families. It's tough to raise kids, so you just do fewer "cool things". Then again, it's cool to be great parents and spend quality time with your children.

Am I projecting a cis-gender traditional patriarchal nuclear family structure?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, taking the subway is so convenient after work

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pauline Kael posted:

CityGoons dont work, Mr caberham. They get everything they need from their daddies. Either bio- or sugar-

Yeah but look cool. Suburbanites are just gross fat basement dwellers :spergin:

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

goons and redditors mostly grew up in suburbs so they're just doing a gently caress you dad thing until they get out of college and realize when you don't live in a giant hotel with your friends with no reason to leave 24/7 it's kind of poo poo to live in the city

I still live with my mom

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Did anyone in this thread actually grow up in the city? Living in the city as a 20-something with disposable income loving owns but imagining growing up here as a child and going to the local schools is depressing as poo poo

You go out a lot more and do stuff with your friends outside because your home is too small for guests. Or that there's always some other sibling in the house so house parties or house gatherings are kind of rare. But it really really depends on the person. I was kind of boring so I stuck primarily to video games and shopping at the nerd mall. I missed out on niche city stuff like break dancing clubs and rockabilly clubs.

You can have people who grew up on a farm and hate the outdoors. Or people who grew up in the city and hate hiking because eewwwww bugs and mosquitoes. I always think people who grew up in smaller towns or suburbs have higher chances of being "more sheltered", "inward", "slower".

It's really easy to spot out of towners everywhere I guess but in the cities, they kind of freak out with the tighter spaces, their tolerance for public space is lower, are bad at dodging weaving human traffic, and are less observant over everyday minor details. Then again, as a city boy, I'm a terrible driver without street lamps and have weaker eyesight in the dark.

Oh and I recently learned that I must leave my house anytime lighting strikes If I ever lived in Florida

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sd6 posted:

"Suburbs" is an extremely general term. I'm sure living in a cookie cutter suburb in the middle of nowhere is terrible, but the suburbs just outside major cities can be pretty cool. There's plenty of family-owned restaurants and bars, some of which are on par with anything you'll find in the city, it's not just Applebee's or whatever. Also you're in close enough proximity that you can commute into the city any time you want for concerts or festivals, but don't have to pay high rent to live in a dilapidated 200 year old building. Well hope this helps

That's called a European village

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

those researchers and prize winners come almost entirely from affluent backgrounds, AKA parents who can give them an expensive private education

Most tend to be white :eng101: You have to admit, "Poor neighbourhood" "crime" "good schools" pretty much means - no black people

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Laslow posted:

I've lived in both and don't feel strongly either one way or another. I think tropical island is preferable, so either choice is poo poo in comparison.

same. I just want more money in my life. Actually I don't care as long as I live right next to some airport express rail and get to the airport in no time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

You live in a depressing wasteland.

Lol that looks like a small town to me, what a wasteland :downsrim:

Tone mapped of my window by caberham, on Flickr

Actually, I think I need to live by coastal areas. It's much easier to go to smaller islands or some quiet coast

Hiking!.jpg by caberham, on Flickr

What's nice about the city is the restaurant scene. Some foods you can't really prepare at home like

Sushi at that kind of quality is really really hard to find in North America. I was not impressed with the sushi scene in San Francisco or Vancouver, LA and NYC just barely cut it. Then again, people pay $8 for a can of budweiser here because it's an "import"

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 19, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

sorry son i know you want a bigger room and more space to play without having to walk thirty minutes to the park without risking getting hit by a car in the street

Crossing the street is not a hard thing. If you are 12 years old and you still can't cross the street properly, you deserve to get run over. If you are 14 and you don't know how to take a bus/metro then you are a loving moron.

quote:

and i know you aren't quite into the whole "theater" scene, and yes

Really depends on the kid though, some love outdoorsey stuff, some don't. Some love theatre/museums/concerts, some don't. Lots of kids just want to play video games all day. There's always some mall a couple train stops away. Or if it's an actual good city, hop on a ferry/gondola for some nature stuff.

quote:

i know the school you go to is poo poo and run-down, but me and your mother decided that living in this human being apartment with too-high rent

Sucks to be tied down to a mortgage payment and large down payment. Yeah, houses will always be the best investment and always go up in value forever :laffo:

quote:

trust me, 8 year old adventurous boy, you don't want to live in a *shudders* SUBURB, there aren't ANY LGBT actors guilds and imported guatemalan pastry shops there! could you even imagine growing up without those experiences?

Actually we can go to a suburb and look at how different people's lives can be. The buses only run once an hour and take forever, there are probably no trains. So you better be a good boy or else your parents won't drop you off where ever you wanted to go. Don't even think about going to places on your own, you need a car for that! You can eat at either Red Robin/Olive Garden/AppleBee's/Macdonalds. Going to a Costco is actually a tourist experience and look at the crazy amount of groceries people can buy. See how fat everyone is and how no one really goes out anywhere at night. Except to that one local movie theatre. Oh and everyone has a fireplace! Isn't that quaint?

Even when you can drive, remember to drive carefully at night because you probably will encounter some drunk driver :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pauline Kael posted:

Go back to Massachusetts, pinko

Excuse me, I live in Ron Paul's paradise :911: The true bastion for freedom and libertarians :downsrim:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pauline Kael posted:

Sorry you're angry about suburbs. Maybe Three Olives will invite you over for a nice cup of Keurig Coffee and some gay

Well if you live in a drought prone area and you insist on having a green grass lawn instead of a rock lawn then I might get angry.

There are lot more other things to do in the city besides being Gay with Three Olives. Oh and i think he lives in a suburb :downsrim:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Mike posted:

My plan is to contribute to the housing shortage by buying a triple apartment house in the city and raising the rent so the tenants leave. Then it will be mine, all mine. This will be the trend in every medium sized city around. I get to be a greedy rear end in a top hat, and live in the city. It's the best of both worlds.

You should kill all your neighbours as well and then buy those houses at a cheaper value

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
And for those folks who live in the cities :

Don't eat out all the time.
Go easy on traveling.
Pack your lunch.
Sometimes just stay in your home, read a book or play some video games, don't need to be out all the time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i have lived on a military base, the downtown area of a city, an old residential area of a city (non suburb), the suburbs with clone houses, and in the country, and i've found happiness and contentment in all of them

i guess in nerd terms this means i am one of those unit classes that is decent at everything and good at nothing

Think you are just a normal well adjusted human being.

Unlike most goons.

I'm gay.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is downtown dead after work or Sunday?

How does Dallas compare to.. Vancouver lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I love these descriptions.

Well being in the suburbs, you try to develop your creativity and start your own hobbies and pet projects. This is what you end up making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWOgZlFzFc0

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chris Christie posted:

LOL at Cities vs. Suburb Goon fights.

Idiots arguing over which is better - the smelly bum (the city) or one of the festering sores on the bum's rear end (the city's suburbs).

Small town USA is where it's at you fools. You need to live in one at least 45 minutes away from any major interstate i.e. it takes 45 minutes of driving on old country highways to get there once you get off the interstate.

There are no lovely chains like Applebees. You HAVE to eat at a local restaurant for a sit down meal. There is NO traffic. Not even light traffic like suburbs, NO traffic.

You don't have to live in an urban city hellhole, nor a depressing cookie-cutter suburb subdivision. The neighborhoods all have character. Trees. They're mixed race (at least in the south, can't speak for New England which I imagine is just very white).

City dwellers and suburb dwellers are equally retarded. Kill yourselves.

Flying is a chore, lots of transfers and going through lovely small regional airports

Yes :laffo:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing I like about the city is having a cashless metro card which works for other services. There's an octopus in Hong Kong, Oyster in London, EZ-link in singapore, Suica in Japan, where your card works in 7-11, Macdonalds, pharmacy, busses, trains, small purchases everywhere. Then you just top up.

Pauline Kael posted:

Simple really. Cars are kind of a proxy for adulthood. You have to be a certain age to have one, you have to have an income to procure one, which in turn requires lots of other adult behaviors like showering regularly, not being a complete sociopath, understanding human emotions, and the like. That's not even to address things like the spatial awareness and being able to operate in 3 dimensions, and maybe even figure out simple mechanical things. These are all anathema to citigoons. They really just need their lives made as simple as possible, with as many choices as possible already made for them, and limited chance to ever encounter something that would require deviation from the explicit instructions they've had pinned to their sweater since leaving the group home.

People in mainland China are actually dumb enough to think like this. They think that the bride's family should provide a car where the groom should provide a house. And everyone's a terrible driver because traffic rules aren't enforced, people outright buy licenses. You can argue it's an enforcement issue which causes bad drivers, but car culture is toxic and ruined the development and environment of a huge developing country (in addition to the bajillion other reasons).

I love cars, but I believe in Congestion Pricing to subsidize buses and other infrastructure.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The suburbs in America are at the root of tons of our current and longstanding policy problems, from failing public schools, to bankrupt local governments, to chronic state government deficits, and even the federal deficit. Our massive unfunded infrastructure liability is mostly due to building highways and bridges in the middle of loving nowhere so shithead white people can live in generic, poorly constructed tract houses in massive parking lots. The suburbs contribute well over 50% of our carbon emissions, while containing less than 50% of the population, which helps drive climate change. The suburbs are a net drag on economic mobility, and the suburban race to the bottom to draw businesses out of the central cities is a huge drag on efficiency.

Not to mention they are loving awful places to live, and full of awful people.

Developing countries China looks up to the American Model of success - a super heavy car based sub urban society. Public transportation, proper urban planning is neglected, and the middle class look up to owning an automobile. Automobile companies invested in China and churned out a lot of cars so city planners placated their designs to make everything car friendly.

caberham fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 21, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hated living in the suburbs of Vancouver until I had a car. Lots of immigrant families actually hate living in cramped downtown ethnic enclaves, looking forward to A HOUSE in the suburb. For better or for worse their kids will start to lose their heritage and language.

Ok, all trolling and irony aside, just live how you like. city or burbs, who gives a poo poo so long as you're happy and not hurting anyone.

How about Colorado springs? If that became the model suburb development for the rest of the world, what would happen ?

Anyways, I'm going to post some pictures

33730027.jpg by caberham, on Flickr

The old inner city centres of Hong Kong - it looks like a scene from the video game Sleeping Dogs. Those 5 storey buildings have no elevators, but tend to be slightly more roomier because our real estate developers have not wised up to be poo poo heads.

33730008.jpg by caberham, on Flickr

Chinese University of Hong Kong. It's out in the suburbs and a pretty big campus. But still a 35 minute train ride away from Hong Kong's city centre.

33730012.jpg by caberham, on Flickr

Another view, those cluster of buildings on the left of the river bank are our "suburbs". Yes, even people in suburbia live in massive high rise buildings like the projects. 60 years ago, people fled from China and lived in horrible inner city housing, or make shift shacks. People actually stayed into the shacks, because that way a government would provide a "house". A friend of mine used to tutor kids in Hong Kong. When he asked kids to build a house out of legos, they built an apartment block. :downsrim:

Here's a video of our "suburbia"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HHgFGLwats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HkHP5PqYb0

People used to get raped and mugged, it was scary as hell. But nowadays there's a super heavy police foot patrol presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aliIiMrIrf8

Inside one of the older earlier units - nowadays only old people live here and the government is waiting for them to all die so that it can be redeveloped into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVH3H4MC8Mg

Separated jogging and bike paths, small strips of "parks"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF5qO1HShnI

But there's like a 7 year wait for subsidized government housing like that and units are few and far between. So everyone lives into Pauline's Kael's urban dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QIwZD3fw3w

All of us city folk will conveniently die in a fire one day :neckbeard:

But 3 olives wants to live like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB2-2j9e4co

A decent documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQF0-3-RupM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Foodies are indeed the worst type of people, on that I think city dwellers and suburbanites can both agree.

Beep boop beep who cares about food everyone should be buying soylent and live off cum slurry

• Locked thread