Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Foid One posted:

it just seems a bit better quality of life to me :vapes:

Compared to what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Foid One posted:

compared to the city, OP.

Come to LA then, it's ninety percent suburb.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

on the plus side you have lots of time to contemplate cool ways to kill yourself on your horrible commute back from work to your fat wife and screaming kids

Do we know each other?

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Any goons considering the suburbs should definitely move there like the uncultured swine they are leaving the cities for the rest of us that give a poo poo about culture. Don't even come to the cities, enjoy your Applebees.

The Applebees in my suburb went out of business :(

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do you mean a small town or the wilderness or a boat? Otherwise no.

As someone who has lived in a small town and a suburb, I vastly prefer living in the suburb with it's modern conveniences like "more than one supermarket" and "restaurants."

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If you lived somewhere else you wouldn't be bored enough to try to turn a garage into some kind of adolescent wish fulfillment room.

Living the dream.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yes, but in the 'burbs they actually want to talk to you. No one has time for that nonsense in the city.

You and I live in radically different suburbs.

That, or nobody wants to talk to me.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

This guy has it EXACTLY right.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

NakedWithCandy posted:

Live outside the city/suburbs. Make like 10x less, but cost of living is like 20x less and you gain a few hours of not having to deal with subway or city traffic.

That's assuming you don't drive the two and a half hours it takes to get to the city in order to work.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

it's pretty quiet in the burbs. thats one of the main attractions.

I must be doing it wrong then because my neighbors are loving loud.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Can we all at least agree that whether or not suburbs are superior to city living (it's not), they are both preferable to living in the middle of nowhere in some dying rural wasteland, where the one thing to do is stare into the distance as everything falls into decay and ruin because the coal ran out years ago?

Did that, I agree.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Vorik posted:

one day you are going to wake up, and you are 44 and you will walk out to your your driveway and look around at the hundreds of other yous with similar houses, cars and driveways

it is going to hit you all at once, and you are going to break down right there on the driveway and cry your eyes out because you've wasted your life

you can barely feel anymore and the height of the past week was Pedro coming over to do your lawn

you will realize you've been having the exact same conversations with your wife, whom you stopped loving decades ago, your kids who you can't connect with, your neighbors who are as terrified of human interaction as you and you are going to curse yourself for being such a huge loving human being and for not realizing you willingly moved yourself and your family to a limbo where life is under constant assault until there is hardly anything left for anyone to feel. you are trapped here forever, in this pocket dimension and the world will move on without you and in 5000 years you are still going to be a human being

Did this a couple of years ago in my early 30's. I'm in a good place now.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

I live in a city where it's actually cheaper to live Downtown in a nice apartment than it would be to live in a similar apartment in the suburb.

My city has a huge problem with people being afraid of Downtown so it's pretty much abandoned by the middle class.

I live in a remodeled and refurbished office building that was built in 1905 so I get high ceilings and solid insulation.

I am also a neighbour to a strip club on one side and a subway on the otherside.

White people being afraid is probably the best thing ever if you learn to take advantage of it

What city is this?

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Roy posted:

Which is a better setting for a sitcom:

1. A young bachelor moves into a condo with some sexy ladies

2. A man lives in the suburbs with his wife and has a job and kids. He's middle class so he's not Al Bundy.

Which show do you like more, Three's Company or Modern Family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

caberham posted:

Man I love these descriptions.

Well being in the suburbs, you try to develop your creativity and start your own hobbies and pet projects. This is what you end up making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWOgZlFzFc0

This is actually a thing, I had one for toilet training my kid.

• Locked thread