Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

roymorrison posted:

Ya living in the city sux it LITERALLY smells like poo poo. You cant even see the stars at night, its loving loud...how can anyone live so detached from nature? Even foreign cities are awful. Paris sucks loving balls theres literally no trees anywhere and the streets are full of loving poo poo. Everybody is a dick and constantly in a rush to their cubicle.

Yes but Cities have lots of gay poetry readings and other cultural amenities that goons and other assorted hipsters claim are absolutely central to their existence, even though they've never actually gone to one.

Burbs rule, 6 acres, next house is 1100 feet away, 3500 sq ft house. Work from home most days, office 15 min away when I don't. Also, I can shoot to my heart's delight in my back yard/creek as there's nothing but room behind us all the way to a power easement. City faggots can keep their urine stained dank passageways and high taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Knyteguy posted:

meh im married i dont need to go see indie bands every weekend i can just chill in my garage and take up new hobbies or hike the mountains w/ my trusty dogs or something

Yup. Thinking that the apex of existence is standing in some shithole bar drinking $7 microbrews while some lovely assed band stumbles their way through their set held a lot more appeal to me when i was an idiot 20 something. Now, I'd much rather go skiing or hiking or work on my old truck.

Let me net this out for you young goons with your short attention spans: once you can afford to move to the suburbs, do it post haste, you'll never regret it. You can still go visit your friends who weren't successful enough to do so.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Zeroisanumber posted:

I enjoy living in the city. :shrug:

You're not being vegan enough about it. tryharder.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

lol clearly a suburbian because true urbanites know that it's all about hipster bbq joints/smokehouses now

As long as I have to pay double for an inferior product, and there is no parking, then I'm ready to declare the the greatest restaurant of the moment. Bonus points if the tables and chairs are extra small and flimsy.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

on the plus side you have lots of time to contemplate cool ways to kill yourself on your horrible commute back from work to your fat wife and screaming kids

Good point, if you lived in the City, you'd be much closer to your job at the synthetic cum factory and could be back with your fat wife and screaming kids even sooner, in a much more confined space

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

Any goons considering the suburbs should definitely move there like the uncultured swine they are leaving the cities for the rest of us that give a poo poo about culture. Don't even come to the cities, enjoy your Applebees.

Oh hey look who is posting in the Cities versus suburb thread, our own resident gay poetry reading aficionado, Three Olives. Your namesake vodka is the City of vodkas, overpriced and not very good, but stupid hipsters think it's just the living end

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Chinatown posted:

"quality of life" aka "no scary minorities" right OP?

Says white SA Forums poster 'Chinatown' with racist caricature for avatar. I'm sure you're steeped in the culture of wherever your mom is willing to drive you.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Foid One posted:

Hmmmmmm what is interesting about you, OP?

He's a pansexual demiqueer otherkin who can't work due to severe fibromyalgia. The grouphome happens to be in the City

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

surprised at how many people itt have brought up working on cars as a reason to move to the suburbs

if you're really trying to sell people on it you should probably come at them with something a bit more compelling than "guess what, you can now do this thing most people who can afford it pay somebody else to do because it's a poo poo job"

Shut up retard. I have a project truck that I like to work on. I also have two new cars that I drive regularly and maintain, because I'm not a giant goon-babby. If I lived in the City, I'd probably need to go stand in line for a permit to own more than one vehicle, and pay some out of state landlord and extra $300 a month to actually have somewhere to park it, wherein it turns into a crash pad for winos and prostitutes

edit: would also like to point out, not trying to sell people on anything. If you live in a city now, you should absolutely, positively stay there, forever

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 16, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

caberham posted:

I'm just going to repost this:

Suburbia and backyards are just luxuries :smith: Yeah, there's always stuff to do, different restaurants to try, and things to see in the cities. But it's the lack of personal space and privacy which makes everyone go out all the time because our houses are loving small.

Man, I miss having a nice backyard and having some BBQ with a yard. Nowadays I need a penthouse with a big balcony to make that happen

It's not the penthouse, but you might consider being gay married to Three Olives, he has a very nice condo in one of the worst cities in America

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Yes, the suburbs rule, I would much rather give up the convenience and excitement of living in an urban center to buy a McMansion with a bunch of rooms I don't need stuffed with poo poo that I never use, a yard for "gardening" (aka a carefully manicured lawn) and a garage because nobody can ever find parking in the city amirite. My life will be driving 20mins to the nearest grocery store and maybe trying that new Italian restaurant that opened up the next town over once I can build my finances back up from those roof repairs that we had to make last year.

This. Is. Living.

It sounds like you're bad at understanding things, best that you stick to the city and not have to operate a power mower

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

caberham posted:

Hey goons, how come housing projects are failures in USA? They work in Singapore and Hong Kong

600 square feet condo is already middle class standards for a family of 5. Too big of a luxury so I'm going to feel guilty.

He's going to sign a pre-nup so marriage wont work. Tell me which city is the worst city in America.

I think he lives in Dallas? Or is it Houston. I like Houston marginally more than Dallas. I have to travel to Dallas for work with some regularity, the worst dystopian badly planned urban aggregation this side of Lagos.

I also work in NYC, which is a lot better, but sure am glad to see it in the rear view as I take the Amtrak upstate at the end of the day

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If you lived somewhere else you wouldn't be bored enough to try to turn a garage into some kind of adolescent wish fulfillment room.

Right, he should be like you and have a filthy cum encrusted work station in a 8x6 room where he spends all day long while waiting for his disability insurance check to come. That's obviously the Right Way.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Knyteguy posted:

playing music with my family is hyper adolescent lol you guys

so is working out and being able to entertain guests without waking up the baby

so childish

Jealous haters because they have to spend their entire section 8 check just to share a 800 sq foot apartment with 2 others, less space than you have for hobbies.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

caberham posted:

Haven't been, my cousin is from Fort Worth, but his family has to drive 1 hour each way just for some freaking dim sum. And it's not even good.

America needs an HSR already aiya.

They keep telling us we're getting HSR at some point between Albany and NYC. Right now it's just over 2 hours, which really inst that bad. Time for a couple tallboys on the way home. It's a little pricy already at between $75-$100 for a round trip. I'm not sure I'd trade a hour for a higher price.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

I always love this argument, oh no, only 800 sqft where am I going to put all this poo poo I don't need? You would have to be pretty fat to need more than 800 sqft to be comfortable.

Well Mr Olives, I have a wife, 2 kids, and 2 cats, 3 vehicles, and an extensive homebrewing layout, in addition to my wood and metal shops. These are all things you would not have to account for, so it's fine for you to stay in your sardine like accommodations, being annoyed by other human beings.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

No it is cheaper, it's people just justifying to themselves that they live in the suburbs because they can't afford to live in the city. If they could move their lovely box from the middle of nowhere to the heart of the city for the same price they would do it in a heartbeat.

Nope. I wouldn't move my house, even with the 6 acres it sits on, into any City. Too many busybodies like you getting into my business.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

I have two dogs, dogs don't take up that much space. Also I am friends with two people that are married and live in the same size space I do and they have plenty of money to buy a bigger place if they wanted one.

How much storage do they pay for?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

i live in denver metro and have a project car and 3 parking spots and have three digit rent. also there are garages here where you pay $20 an hour to rent a stall with a lift. if you need help there is an ASE mechanic hanging out that you can tap for 59 an hour to help, or for 79 an hour he'll just do it for you.

gently caress the suburbs

1) Denver is not a city, not in any rational sense of the word - if it was you wouldn't have 3 parking spots and 3 digit rent
2) I don't need someone else's lift or help from an ASE mechanic, because I'm not a human being retard, my arms are big enough to actuate a hydraulic jack, and my public education has provided me the necessary level of aptitude to read a Chilton's manual
3) you should be careful, with all those edges

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone need 2000sq ft of house? What the gently caress do you guys own that you need all that space just to keep your poo poo in? Fully inflated bouncy castles? Your collection of classic cars?

Also, I sometimes go on Google Street View when I'm bored at work and what the gently caress is with the gigantic lawns that everyone has in American suburbs? It's like your neighbourhoods are a series of little fields with a lovely wooden house (why WOOD for gently caress's sake) sat in the middle of each field.

And you're miles and miles and miles from anything worth being close to. How can you exist, not being able to nip across the street to the corner shop when you need a loaf of bread, or strolling 2 minutes down the road to the all night garage when you have an overwhelming urge to buy a pack of cigarettes or walking into the town centre, drinking a tonne of beer, then walking back again and being home within ten minutes?

Anyway, that's a lot of questions, I look forward to your insightful excuses for living in the suburban desert.

Sorry whatever inbred dying country in Europe you live in doesn't afford enough room for human beings to live as God intended them to, Also, if you can't go buy a loaf of bread without a stop at the bar you no doubt have a drinking problem. I suppose I'd drink to forget my life too, if I were living in the existential hellscape that is your stupid city. Also, what building material should be used for houses? Are builder in Europe so inept that they can only build from massive blocks of stone? Do you guys have nails and screws yet or are you waiting for the next Marshall Plan so we can supply our 18th century tech to you?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Knyteguy posted:

Need? Nah probably not. Want? Sure.

Here's an example setup of those homes:
1) Dedicated office for home business
2) Two kids, each with their own room
3) Dining room (or play room)
4) Living room
5) Kitchen
6) Nice MBR
7) 2-3 bathrooms

It's really not that hard. Add in hallways and stairs which is calculated into sq/ft (garages are not) and it's not even that crazy. It's not like it's 2000 sq/ft of straight living room space.

Mind you we live in I think 1,100-1,300 sq/ft with a baby, 2 dogs, and 2 cats, and we have plenty of room. The second garage isn't necessary of course, it's just cool to have for hobbies.

Don't try to rationalize with jealous. Xe would trade places with you in a heartbeat if only we were still accepting the poor and downtrodden from Earth's Own rear end in a top hat

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

himajinga posted:

The funniest part about this post is that depending on what your preference is it works as a compliment to you and insult to the other no matter which you are.

If you're not sure which one is cool and which one is for twitchy hipsters who are only cool in the worst universe possible, then I'm not sure you get the joke

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

too bad they're not big enough to bring home a paycheck that can get you a couple parkin spots

$503.50, to be accurate. All utilities except comcast paid. Good neighborhood too, haven't locked our place in a month. Dig harder.

No, they're big enough to carry home a check that allowed me to move my family to the exurbs. Sorry to hear about your life failure.

Edit: lol I'd love to see what sort of third world shanty you live in for $500 a month. Do all 7 of you share those 3 parking spots?

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 18, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Are you literally shaking?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Live in the city until you have kids then move to the suburbs, it's not hard to figure out how this stuff works

second this, leave the city for all things failure related, suburbs for those that unlock the mysterious key to life

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

i live in a lovely historic neighborhood suburb that's a 10 minute walk from a lovely city. suburbs and cities both suck, life is not worth living. i would like to live in a roller rink circa 1985.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

Yes your children's most impressionable years should be spent in a bland suburb devoid of culture and new experiences so they are as dull as possible.

TO - "culture" does not mean the same thing to parents as it does to gay trust fund babbys. It's ok that you live in a horrible little condo in the worst big city in the US, but no responsible parent would do that willingly.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Manslaughter posted:

lmao

the american dream right here boys

Post where you live, plz

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

i didnt read thraed but im guess a lot of people in denial about howm uch they life blows and how they should eat a bullet

Good point, but they at least are close to the laundromat and only have to walk 6 blocks to the nearest severely overpriced bodega. They'd eat a bullet but with the heavily regulated existence city dwellers are forced into, they can't have a gun

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

look i can see my house from her e and it appears im a fukin ant in an anthill but theres a trampoline in my backyard and my car is slightly newer than the neighbors so LIFE RoCKS :xd:

Yeah I'd way rather be sandwiched between the family that screams all the time and I can hear it through paper thin walls and the guy that flushes his toilet 50 times every night and wakes me up. Now THAT's living! You can't get that kind of cultural amenity in a detached home!

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

which i can afford because i didnt have 4 kids. you guys should try it im in heaven

2 kids, 3500 sq ft, 6 acres

sorry you can't afford to live a proper life and have to be packed in a box with a bunch of other faggots

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

Yes the only choice is a shitbox that will slowly kill you because it is full of formaldehyde from the chinese drywall and "hardwood floors" in a quiet suburb or a tenement in the city.

The fact is study after study says poverty in the suburbs along with infrastructure costs are skyrocketing and the cities are becoming more and more popular with the more affluent. The suburbs are basically the new ghettos and everyone knows its it but the buyers that are tricked into a "good deal" on the new shitbox built on a swamp.

Not everyone has a daddy that pays for us to live in a botique condo in the worst city in the US. You realize that dont you? That some (all of us not named Three Olives) of us have to work a job, pay our bills, and make our own way? Given that, I, and most rational adults, make the decision to maximize what's important to us. In many if not most cases, that means buying a detached home in a suburb with a school district that does not doom them to failure, like every single big city school district in the US. Sorry for your inability to understand the way the world works, but congrats on having a dad who does/did

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

shut up retard, he has a project truck

Sorry for having a non-anime hobby. I know that's very triggering around here.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

oh poo poo im sorry i didn't know

got any tips for gettin grease stains out of the driveway, pauline? :D

Asphalt driveway. Only need to worry if the oil leaks onto the key and 3 point arc I laid down with traffic tape

edit: or, alternatively, own a car that doesn't suck. Even the old project truck doesn't leak oil because screwing in the oil pan bolt isn't that complex

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

opus111 posted:

i lived in suburbs and some of the most densely populated cities on earth, both had good and bad points, i prefer cities myself but I'd happily go back to a suburb again in a few years., dunno what the poison is about on both sides here. i bet the goons being most vicious about suburbs actually grew up in them and are projecting hard lol.

Mostly they're jealous of their former peers and or siblings who have gone on and completed their degrees, found a mate, bought an affordable house together, and are proceeding with their lives. Hell hath no fury like a goon, scorned

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

yeah have like 12 kids and get a mortgage. put an anchor around your neck and chuck it off a pier. put your car in neutral on a steep hill and shut your tie in the door

you fuckin dummies need ot do this like i did or life isnt fairrr

Your life sounds like a real adventure! You should post about it!

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

Yes. :colbert:

I played basketball out there with a neighbor on Sunday.

How is that private? You share it with how many thousands of people? By that measure, the suburb I live in affords me 2 giant pools, several golf courses, riding/biking/snowmobiling trails, waterfalls, boating on 2 big rivers, a community center with and indoor pool and multiple basketball courts, and so on

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Spaghetti Man, indeed

edit: wait, jesus hf christ, is that a birth control patch on that poor stuffed animal?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

himajinga posted:

I'll freely admit that I grew up in a suburb and having lived there decided it wasn't for me. No big deal, tried it, didn't like it, did something else that I like better.

My real gripe is this nonsense like I have some secret desire to move to the suburbs that I won't cop to because there's some screw-up on my part that is preventing me from doing so and that moving to the suburbs it is the only natural and desirable outcome for anyone. I have a mate, an advanced degree, a well paying job, and a life I really really enjoy and am saving up to buy a house in the city, I just prefer living in the city and there is not an ounce of my being that would prefer living in the suburbs. It's really not that big of a deal. You want to live in the suburbs? Cool. Not what I would pick but we value different things, which is totally fine. It's this weird implication that I secretly am jealous of people in suburbs because they "have it all figured out" and spend less money for more space as if whoever pays the least per square foot wins or whatever that chaps my rear end. I'm sure it's the same thing with city folk implying that suburbanites are all anti-culture rednecks that gave up.

Settle down Francis, you're obviously a rational adult who prefers living in a City, you have no place in this discussion. Strident opinions only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

it is thi s is me

Nice try, Spaghetti Man

• Locked thread