Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I grew up in cities (nyc, miami) and live in a city now (nyc) and its pretty good. I wouldn't raise a kid in the suburbs they turn out really weird from what I've seen. If you want to live in a boring place and do boring poo poo thats your choice tho and people who knock it too hard are probably projecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

IIRC from the NYC LAN thread, you grew up in Queens. But apparently according to people here, growing up in a detached house in Queens doesn't count as living in the city.

Lived in NYC all my life, have never obtained a Learner's Permit. Just take the bus and subway everywhere, it's not that hard.

I lived in a 2 family house in Elmhurst and also a building in Jackson Heights. Both were pretty urban, idk why people think all people who live in cities live in buildings exclusively. I live in a building now but it's surrounded by tons of different housing including detached single family houses.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Doccers posted:

So tell me on a scale of 1-10, how angry does this make you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

e:

Doccers posted:

Did a quick search for photos of Queens

Yeah I'm going to consider that a suburb for the sake of this thread, personally.

yes all of queens looks like that great job :downs:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

known suburban hellscape, queens nyc

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

Lemme see: Jamaica, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, LeFrak City, Queensbridge?

Only hard one was the last one since that could be any basketball court surrounded by project looking apartment buildings in NYC.

Also, my former workplace is in the second photo. I miss that strip of restaurants. So much good Chinese food there, and in Elmhurst in general.

Last one is elechester

Doccers posted:

Queens?

Ok all joking aside, this one is actually pretty goddamned cool:

5pointz was loving awesome but they painted it over and are developing it into condos now :(

e: lmao at picking willets point as an area representative of queens/cities in general. it's a tiny "neighborhood" comprised entirely of junkyards and auto body places and I'm pretty sure there's a place like that near every place humans with cars gather to live

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 20, 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I think turning potentially useful already existing elevated transit infrastructure into parks is one of the stupidest things on earth and I fuckin love parks (that are at ground level). I like this city but they do some dumb poo poo sometimes

e:

GhostStalker posted:

I've never been to Elechester, dunno where it even is in terms of location within Queens, only know about it because of Queens Express bus destination signs.

I only included it because it's walking distance to where I live now and I think the area and concept behind it is pretty cool http://urbanomnibus.net/2013/12/electchester-a-city-made-for-workers/

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

There's tons of poo poo for old people to do in cities too at least it seems that way from the massive amounts of old chinese people I see in flushing actually out and doing poo poo with their nearly deceased friends. probably involves a lot of illegal gambling tho

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, QueensWay is a pretty dumb idea. Sure, the tracks are abandoned now, but it'll probably be cheaper to get them working again and provide mass transit infrastructure to underserved areas in Queens than to clean it up and turn it into a park. It's not like Queens doesn't have a ton of large parks nearby already, like Forest Park, Flushing Meadows, and Jamaica Bay. The Woodhaven Blvd corridor that they want to place it in runs straight through Forest Park already!

Elechester has an interesting story, but as I said, I had no idea where it was. Despite spending a lot of time in Flushing when I was younger and somewhat less so today, I never went down that end of Kissena Blvd past the LIE, so I had no idea it was there.

There are some awesome parks up around douglaston and manhasset if you haven't explored that area (no real reason to aside from the parks and miracle mile if you're loaded). Can't wait for the endless winter to be over

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Chris Christie posted:

You HAVE to eat at a local restaurant for a sit down meal.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The suburbs in America are at the root of tons of our current and longstanding policy problems, from failing public schools, to bankrupt local governments, to chronic state government deficits, and even the federal deficit. Our massive unfunded infrastructure liability is mostly due to building highways and bridges in the middle of loving nowhere so shithead white people can live in generic, poorly constructed tract houses in massive parking lots. The suburbs contribute well over 50% of our carbon emissions, while containing less than 50% of the population, which helps drive climate change. The suburbs are a net drag on economic mobility, and the suburban race to the bottom to draw businesses out of the central cities is a huge drag on efficiency.

Not to mention they are loving awful places to live, and full of awful people.

I agree with most of this but the "white people :qq:" poo poo is kinda not gonna win you many friends. there are just as many lovely white people in the city and the suburbs I remember in florida were full of boring weirdos of all ethnicities

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Why do all suburban goons believe city goons live in hellish project blocks in tiny apartments? I have 1,000 sqft for a one bedroom, pool, pool, fire pit, saunas, gym, clubroom, cabanas, dog park, tennis court, almost two acres of outdoor space, 24 hour security, valet, porters, basement storage space, etc. I paid like $230k, i.e. the cost of like a 1,200 sqft ex-urban home in a decent neighborhood.

Move to the city before the rest of the idiots realize how reasonable it is and drive the cost up.

most people in cities don't live like this either. also I feel like I grew up watching you post about your condo and thats really weird

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

like 10 years later and this nigga is still talking about his valet parking

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

my protege 5 is parked on the street in front of my building :geno:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Doccers posted:

define "fun time"?

novel stimulants and computer music

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Doccers posted:

define "fun time"?

https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/i-went-to-a-nu-kawaii-cosplay-rave-in-brooklyn

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I dont actually do those things thats just my observation of the youths. in my day we went to the sort of clubs that played things like kmfdm and vnv nation. now I don't have fun or go outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pauline Kael posted:

Sorry we're not living up to your required efficiency. You know what would be even more efficient than your 1500 sq ft house in the city? Living in a giant high rise with an average of 100k people per square mile like NYC 130 years ago. Even better, you and the rest of the sardines could subsist on a protein/carb slurry delivered via tube to each 100sq ft assigned quarters. I mean, what more do you need than that, you fat greedy American?

read this dudes post history in this thread, he mad :laugh:

• Locked thread