Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Live in the city until you have kids then move to the suburbs, it's not hard to figure out how this stuff works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Did anyone in this thread actually grow up in the city? Living in the city as a 20-something with disposable income loving owns but imagining growing up here as a child and going to the local schools is depressing as poo poo

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

opus111 posted:

america routinely produces cutting-edge research and nobel prize winners, you're all way too harsh on your public schooling system

People always talk about the entire country's schools as if they are one monolithic entity which is retarded because the US has one of the most decentralized education systems out there. Lots of states rate well internationally, but the country as a whole is dragged down by the red states and california

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Fun facts that will amaze posters in this thread:

- Most people in the city drive a car
- There are houses in cities, that people own and live in. Lots of them in fact
- If you live in the suburbs you are still legally allowed to enter the nearest city
- You can live in both the suburbs and the city at different points in your life

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

That is rural as poo poo, if anything that is a "small town", not the suburbs

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

I like how the average age here has to be pushing 30 and people still react with disbelief when someone mentions a real life woman they have sex with

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Doccers posted:

If I wake up at 44 and my neighbors all have similar cars and driveways to us, I will laugh myself into a coma.

Meanwhile, you will continue to live in your miniscule cell surrounded by thousands of other schlubs in their miniscule cells, all walking to their dreary dead end jobs in your office cubicle cell which is so indistinguishable from your home cell that you need to hit the same overpriced downtown bar every night to drink away the pain until you are numb enough to go back to your home cell and hopefully sleep it off in time to go back to your work cell so you can afford your home cell and to hit the bar again, all the while trying to convince yourself that "This is living" and that at least you're not tied down to a house or hobbies or long term relationships. No, you are lovingly cradled with thousands of others, and you are Free. Who needs open spaces when you have Jose to cultivate your artificial park that you and a thousand other drones can shamble through on your way to the next drink?

Man, you've got it made compared to those scrubs living out in the sticks. I mean, how far would THEY have to walk to get a decent latte?

man, not even a starbucks in sight..

Wow, why would I want a short commute to work and to be in walking distance of everything else when I could instead have giant lovely trucks and an entire barren field and dirt road to myself?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

How mad does it make you suburbanites that I live in a detached house and have a car while living in the city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Suburbs have a purpose (raising kids)

The only valid reason I can think of to move there if you don't have kids is if you don't drink. Whenever someone's friend from the suburbs comes out it is depressing as gently caress because they'll have like 3 beers then drive home so they can wake up at 7AM to feed the dogs

• Locked thread