Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cities: Skylines - YOU SHOULD PURCHASE THIS GAME, YOU WON'T REGRET THIS

(Click for store page)

From the store page:

Store page posted:

Cities: Skylines is a modern take on the classic city simulation. The game introduces new game play elements to realize the thrill and hardships of creating and maintaining a real city whilst expanding on some well-established tropes of the city building experience.

From the makers of the Cities in Motion franchise, the game boasts a fully realized transport system. It also includes the ability to mod the game to suit your play style as a fine counter balance to the layered and challenging simulation. You’re only limited by your imagination, so take control and reach for the sky!

Go grab it. It is a Good Game and with features like extensive modding support, traffic agents that work, not having poop agents (it's poop flows), huge areas (even huger with 25-tile mod), is what Sim City 2013 should have been.

:siren: THIS GAME HAS NO RELATION WITH THE CITIES X(X)L FRANCHISE :siren:

IRC channel created by Google Butt:

irc.synirc.org
#skylines

Guides
* Keep trucks out of your city proper with the "industrial coffee filter".
* Generate heightmaps for mapmaking based on the real world Guide Another guide on how to bring out bodies of water
* Quick start-up guide
* How to make circles
* Fix ugly zoning in intersections
* Busway Bus stops prefabs: 1 2
* Intersection guide
* Poop dam
* Build parallel curved roads
* To reverse one-way roads, activate the road upgrade tool and right click on the section of the road you want to reverse direction.
* You can use Page Up and Page Down to raise/lower lots of stuff besides roads, including power lines.

Chirpies' Choice
* PCGamer's "The strange tale of a Cities: Skylines town with only one house"
* Los Santos save
* Fjords map
* Real-life interchange guide
* This thing
* Watch this. :magical:
* simosimo's billboards
* Interview with Colossal Order's CEO
* What happens when your terrorists are dumb

Mods
Colossal Order collections:
* I want it all
* Mods & functionality
* Creme de la Creme

Some assorted stuff, for more, visit the game's workshop
* :siren: 25-tile unlock
* Traffic Manager
* First Person Camera
* Route query tool
* System clock in game
* Tree brush
* Another First Person Camera mod
* Remove pillars for all elevated tracks
* Mod Achievement Enabler
* ModTools
* Harder mode
* Isometric camera
* One-Way Street Arrows
* Zonable Pedestrian Paths - Stable
* Lane Changer - No Left/Right Turn
* CimCopter

Prefabs
* Mirror's Edge color correction
* Football field
* SC 3k Power Plant Set
* Industrial "parks": Small and Large (Noyemi K)
* Plymouth Arcology (Enos Shenk)
* 6 Lane Lightless/Optimized Intersection (Slickdrac)
* Optimized traffic/service flow grid (Slickdrac)
* Noyemi K's creations, includes bus stops, buildings and props
* simosimo's hilarious billboards
* In-Width highway roundabout (Fishstick)
* Dads Shower Supply

Goon-Made cities
* Inchun (Noyemi K)
* Jodhnagar (Noyemi K)
* Jikjon (Noyemi K)

Maps
* Raerei Cove
* Flat testing world with all resources in quantity and 4 highway/boat/plane routes (Slickdrac)
* Hong-Kong
* City of Amadea
* Skye (Fishbus)
* Passes (Fish Fry Andy)
* Canal Islands (SynthOrange)
* Kanehoe Bay (M_Gargantua)
* Zion National Park

Also, :rip: Maxis.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Screenshots & Fan-art

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 21, 2015

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
This game is the best game.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I APPROVE OF THE THREAD TITLE.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Someone needs to mod in railway signals to satisfy my rail sperging.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm loving around in unlimited/unlocked city. I think once I've gone through the progression a few times it's nice not having to wait for money or unlocks. One thing I've done is some transit testing. I was previously fussy at how useless metros are since they can't cross over each other, but I did some experiments to see just how you could do this.

First of all, metro "tracks" don't work like train tracks, there are no switches or actual rails. They actually function just like roads! So you can make a 90 degree 4-way intersection and trains handle it just like cars making all possible turns. This really surprised me as I was under the impression you had to lay them like actual tracks and make more complex junctions and this is where my jams were coming from. So, it's entirely possible to make a "grid" of metro lines just as long as routes don't share stations as that's where the jams really come from (or more to the point, trains ever turning left in front of each other trying to get into the same station).

So now I'm making a grid of metro lines. Every 2nd or 3rd station has a buddy going the other direction near by and if the AI isn't too stupid it means anyone can get anywhere in 1-transfer transit journey. Metro trains often have to stop at "intersections" to let other trains pass, but it's never more than a second or two. It works fine, but why or why can't we pageup/down to raise/lower metro tunnels and even stations just like in CiM1 ??

Also Cims pick transit in an odd way, or maybe just random/closest. You can build a metro line exactly mirroring a bus line and the cims will pick them about 50/50, if anything they'll be more likely to pick the bus. So you'll have huge crowds waiting for that massive clump of full buses (come on CO, auto-space transit vehicles!) for months while a much faster metro is right there with each train at maybe 20% capacity.

I hate to say it but Cities XL handled bus lines better in a lot of ways. Instead of a global funding level you could click on a line and it would actually tell you how many people the line was using vs the capacity of that line. There were no agents so no individual buses, but you could select between a mini-bus, a standard bus, and a double-decker bus. Each level of bus cost more to maintain but upgraded the capacity of the line. Simple, intuitive. We don't need CiM1/2 levels of control over transit, specially no time-table garbage, but 2-3 types of buses plus a low/med/high frequency control would be enough, per line. Or even have an "auto" button that would automatically set the correct number and type of bus for the line, that poo poo isn't hard to auto-detect and make a pretty safe guess.

All that said, has anyone dug into how easy it would be to mod transit vehicle capacities? They seem a touch low, both from a gameplay perspective and a "realism" perspective. A city of 60k shouldn't need 6 metro lines running bumper to bumper trains to move people around, nor should a quiet suburban area need a parade of huge tour buses.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
If you've been in mourning since your purchase of SimCity 5, It is ok to love again. Buy this game and be free from the past.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I built a cargo train station specifically for my forestry zone, so why do so many log trucks keep heading off to the other side of my city to unload at my industrial train cargo station? The only thing I can think of is that I built the industrial one first and maybe zones "lock in" to a preferred station and don't recalculate? Might try bulldozing my forestry zone and letting it rebuild to see if they want to go to the right station.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Good Thread for A Good Game

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If you buy this your life will suffer, in a good way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This is a good game and it's wasting way too loving much of my time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

pwnyXpress posted:

So overall I can see that this game offers tons more than SimCity did, but don't a lot of the problems seem a bit reminiscent of that debacle? Odd things like the commercial bug and weird water issues?

The biggest one, and probably the number one reason I haven't purchased yet, is because it seems people have to do stupid convoluted things with roads in order to get functional traffic, which certainly brings back some bad memories.
Cross posting since a traffic model discussion is super relevant for page 1.

The most basic traffic conceit is at first glance kind of limiting but arguably realistic: cars get in the lane they need for the next intersection after the previous intersection. This leads to all the reactionary screenshots of 6 lane one way roads with miles of traffic backup because there is only 1 way to go at the end of that road. That basic conceit leads to needing to create some realistic traffic networks. It is neither Sim City 13 at release (traffic backed up because the AI didn't actually know how to turn in different directions), and importantly not the model from SimCity 4 where bigger roads solved everything by just providing a literal bucket for traffic to sit in out of the way.

The actual issues where the game stands to improve are getting into slightly gamey stuff you may never actually get into if you build your networks otherwise realistically. Basically, merged intersections are far superior to lighted intersections due to a Google car sort prescience that allows anarchy merges to be incredibly efficient. There's some cool opportunities for the devs to address this with slowing down the insane merges and making lighted intersections faster, either with an AI tweak or lighted intersection design tools since a lot of the lighted intersection issues are with cars doing crazy turning stuff but not wanting to do it unless the intersection is completely deserted.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
After taking a cursory glance at the modding API, does anybody know if it would be possible to create a building/service that turns trash into export freight after charging you ducats? I thought that would be a worthwhile gameplay mod for larger cities.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Repost from the old thread.

Disclaimer: This guide does not show you how to build an amazing good road network or a perfect highway intersection. It does however show that you seriously don't need to worry about that poo poo at the beginning of your city. The game has a bulldozer tool for a reason.

Welcome to your new city! Or plot of land.

But how the hell are you supposed to build a city from two highway spurs?!

Here, let me show you.

You only have a simple two-lane road available initially. That's fine, you don't need anything more. Just pick that.

Connect those two fuckers!

Build some more roads. Make a four-lane down the middle. It's probably better to connect that off the offramp than the onramp.
Try both, if you zoom all the way in you can see that some intersections get lights and some don't. It depends on how big roads and whether they're one or two way. Don't worry about it yet. (Your traffic will be light early on, some bad design won't kill you this soon.)

Oh and by the way, these buttons down here:

The first, square, one, toggles snapping when building roads. Snapping is really useful, but sometimes when making curved stuff it gets in the way.
The next three switch between straight, curved, and auto-curved roads.
The last is the "upgrade road" button, replaces existing roads with a different type.

Anyway...

Time to fill in some zones.
You don't need that much buffer between industrial and residential, just a big road and a row of commercial will do.

Time to add some power. A single windmill is fine. Find a spot with strong wind and plop it.

You also need a water intake and a poop outlet.
Take note of the arrows on the water stream! Don't let the poop flow into the pump.
Also note that you can in fact relocate buildings after placing them, if you get them swapped around.

Build water pipes connecting the two, connect them to the town area, and build a grid of water pipes to cover the zoned part.
Water pipes come with free sewers! The pipe you lay is "double", one carries fresh water, the other carries diseased water.

Hook up power.

You will initially need to build power lines into your zoned area, otherwise you might have trouble getting houses to spawn.
At this point you should unpause the game, if you built paused like me.

Congratulations! You get the first milestone at around 500 pop.
You might have to expand your road network a bit to reach that.

And you'll probably have to build some more windmills as you go.

Hitting a milestone means you get more services available, and this also means your residents will begin needing those.
All of a sudden they have trash to take out, illness to treat, and children to educate.
Build a landfill, medical clinic and elementary school as soon as possible!

Remember what I said about pollution not being that bad? Yeah really, don't bother segregating your industry too much.

Expand some more and... WHOA!

You can suddenly expand your building area. There is one really good place to get...

The tile containing the highway.

The intersection is now yours and you can do anything you want to fix it and build something better!

That was the original question, yeah? What to do about that really weird intersection you can't really fix at first.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Reddit for Chirpy was in the last thread, but if you're new you'll start hating the repetitive chirps. They also provide the source through GitHub so you can modify it to scrape whatever you want if you hate Reddit: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408705348

It's a user configurable mod that scrapes hot threads from specified subreddits which will then be chirped. Hot threads on Reddit churn really quickly on the bigger subreddits, so you won't be seeing the same chirps over and over.

If you only want in-universe chirps set it up for just http://www.reddit.com/r/chirpit/.

If you want everybody to be a psychopath set it up for http://www.reddit.com/r/nocontext and http://www.reddit.com/r/shitcrusaderkingssay.

If you want them to say weird things use http://www.reddit.com/r/showerthoughts.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

zedprime posted:

The most basic traffic conceit is at first glance kind of limiting but arguably realistic: cars get in the lane they need for the next intersection after the previous intersection. This leads to all the reactionary screenshots of 6 lane one way roads with miles of traffic backup because there is only 1 way to go at the end of that road. That basic conceit leads to needing to create some realistic traffic networks. It is neither Sim City 13 at release (traffic backed up because the AI didn't actually know how to turn in different directions), and importantly not the model from SimCity 4 where bigger roads solved everything by just providing a literal bucket for traffic to sit in out of the way.

The actual issues where the game stands to improve are getting into slightly gamey stuff you may never actually get into if you build your networks otherwise realistically. Basically, merged intersections are far superior to lighted intersections due to a Google car sort prescience that allows anarchy merges to be incredibly efficient. There's some cool opportunities for the devs to address this with slowing down the insane merges and making lighted intersections faster, either with an AI tweak or lighted intersection design tools since a lot of the lighted intersection issues are with cars doing crazy turning stuff but not wanting to do it unless the intersection is completely deserted.

The clean fix for the lane issue would be to have agents only switch to their "optimal" lane within X distance of their desired intersection and encourage non public transit ai to scatter between lanes between those distance checks. I wonder how computationally expensive that would be, because the alternatives are wierd game only intersections and road splits as a workaround. Not that its an absolutely massive deal but I hope its on the list. Also enforced minimum spacing between city buses on a line would go a long way to cleaning up weird traffic jams on otherwise open roads.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

Hey thanks for this. That makes a lot of sense. I'll probably pick this up once school winds down since I don't want to lose my funding.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've put together a collection of UK mods [so far] - for those looking for a miserable town. There's not many atm but it's a start, hoping more modders are gonna crack out some great British content.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408887175

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is there a faq or rule set for when traffic lights are generated and when you get a lightless intersection?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Spaceman Future! posted:

The clean fix for the lane issue would be to have agents only switch to their "optimal" lane within X distance of their desired intersection and encourage non public transit ai to scatter between lanes between those distance checks. I wonder how computationally expensive that would be, because the alternatives are wierd game only intersections and road splits as a workaround. Not that its an absolutely massive deal but I hope its on the list. Also enforced minimum spacing between city buses on a line would go a long way to cleaning up weird traffic jams on otherwise open roads.
It'd be interesting to see if there's more they can do with it, but by the time you have traffic lining up you have serious issues with your network, that you might not even necessarily need merged intersection strangeness to fix. Moving traffic down road with an AI that likes to zipper merge might fix some earlier jams when the traffic line extends past a previous intersection, but you still have the root problem causing the back up in the first place no matter when they choose a lane.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
This is...A Good Game™ A Colossal Game™

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
I'm confused - I'm seeing SimCity screenshots but people are telling me it's good :psyduck:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
important note for the beginning of the game--if you wish to start with something other than two-lane roads for whatever reason, you can just build a very small two-lane then bulldoze it. this unlocks some of the other road types.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Left: How the AI handles traffic by default (ex; I need to turn right in 5 blocks, I'll get all the way to the right immediately) Right: Optimally running a 6 lane one way road, traffic spreads out and uses all lanes for maximum throughput.

The Traffic Trident, a main trunk 6 lane road that maximizes throughput while permitting 2 way traffic that can return to the main trunk line. (Note: Left and Right roads are NOT 4 lanes, they are opposing direction 2 lane one ways)

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 16, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm loving around in unlimited/unlocked city. I think once I've gone through the progression a few times it's nice not having to wait for money or unlocks. One thing I've done is some transit testing. I was previously fussy at how useless metros are since they can't cross over each other, but I did some experiments to see just how you could do this.

First of all, metro "tracks" don't work like train tracks, there are no switches or actual rails. They actually function just like roads! So you can make a 90 degree 4-way intersection and trains handle it just like cars making all possible turns. This really surprised me as I was under the impression you had to lay them like actual tracks and make more complex junctions and this is where my jams were coming from. So, it's entirely possible to make a "grid" of metro lines just as long as routes don't share stations as that's where the jams really come from (or more to the point, trains ever turning left in front of each other trying to get into the same station).

So now I'm making a grid of metro lines. Every 2nd or 3rd station has a buddy going the other direction near by and if the AI isn't too stupid it means anyone can get anywhere in 1-transfer transit journey. Metro trains often have to stop at "intersections" to let other trains pass, but it's never more than a second or two. It works fine, but why or why can't we pageup/down to raise/lower metro tunnels and even stations just like in CiM1 ??

Also Cims pick transit in an odd way, or maybe just random/closest. You can build a metro line exactly mirroring a bus line and the cims will pick them about 50/50, if anything they'll be more likely to pick the bus. So you'll have huge crowds waiting for that massive clump of full buses (come on CO, auto-space transit vehicles!) for months while a much faster metro is right there with each train at maybe 20% capacity.

I hate to say it but Cities XL handled bus lines better in a lot of ways. Instead of a global funding level you could click on a line and it would actually tell you how many people the line was using vs the capacity of that line. There were no agents so no individual buses, but you could select between a mini-bus, a standard bus, and a double-decker bus. Each level of bus cost more to maintain but upgraded the capacity of the line. Simple, intuitive. We don't need CiM1/2 levels of control over transit, specially no time-table garbage, but 2-3 types of buses plus a low/med/high frequency control would be enough, per line. Or even have an "auto" button that would automatically set the correct number and type of bus for the line, that poo poo isn't hard to auto-detect and make a pretty safe guess.

All that said, has anyone dug into how easy it would be to mod transit vehicle capacities? They seem a touch low, both from a gameplay perspective and a "realism" perspective. A city of 60k shouldn't need 6 metro lines running bumper to bumper trains to move people around, nor should a quiet suburban area need a parade of huge tour buses.

Hmm, I have metro routes that overlap (and gratuitious station-sharing) and don't have metro traffic issues in the slightest.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slickdrac posted:

And a bidirectional split off that works as efficiently.

No kings, no gods; only yields.

Alternately, this is the future open to us with Google cars.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

So, is there a good ratio of commercial next to residential? Do offices work best next to residential? I always end up blobbing them in large swathes and wonder if there is a good way to disperse them.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Spaceman Future! posted:

I sort of feel like it will not help at all. Especially since I don't think this game models things like commute cycles, in which case using those extra lanes might help.

To compare to plumbing, if your drain is too small for your faucet that is always on, you will eventually overflow, no matter how big your sink is.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Slickdrac posted:

Optimal 6 lane road outpouring for maximizing traffic

Which one is the optimal?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

jneer posted:

I'm confused - I'm seeing SimCity screenshots but people are telling me it's good :psyduck:

I love that they took the only nice part about SimCity, the graphics and UI and ripped them off wholesale while laying the entire thing on top of an engine and agent system that is pretty much the best agent simulation I have ever seen. There are definitely oddities in traffic, and ambulances driving across the city to respond to an emergency right next to another hospital, etc, but on the whole its so drat solid. Everything the Maxis team fuxed up with a ton more funding and a much more massive team CO got right in C:S, its the best city sim you could buy at this point, the classic SimCities included.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SPACE HOMOS posted:

So, is there a good ratio of commercial next to residential? Do offices work best next to residential? I always end up blobbing them in large swathes and wonder if there is a good way to disperse them.

I like to make big blocks out of avenues which are lined with commercial, then inset from that a buffer of office, then residential in the creamy centre along with a clinic and elementary school.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Slickdrac posted:

And a bidirectional split off that works as efficiently. (note, those are alternating direction 2 lane one way roads on the sides of the trident)

This is almost the same thing as several quasi-rotary intersections made in Chicopee, MA that I'm quite familiar with. Well done. https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.180511,-72.577068&spn=0.003836,0.005053&t=h&z=18 Your next challenge is to do it with two bi-directonal roads.

Also, someone in the last thread posted a screengrab of something I had a bear of a time making in SC4: a real Massachusetts-style freeway rotary interchange.

A la: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.499061,-71.157374&spn=0.007633,0.010107&t=h&z=17

Now my recreations of various Massachusetts towns will look much nicer. These things are all over the place here.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I build my city center blocks out of 4 lane avenues with juicy, twisty neghborhood cores. I put commercial on the intersections, occasionally a whole strip so as to be a shopping mall. I mix offices freely depending on the flavor of that block I want to achieve.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Wonder how this smells.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Pimping my work. Color correction for everyone!

True color correction. Best on Temperate maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960822

Sunset color correction. Best on Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406958722

Future color correction. Best on Temperate or Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960231

Desert color correction. Best on Tropical maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408602076

And you can get the desert oasis map in that screenshot here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408599649

Cheers.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Slickdrac posted:

Optimal 6 lane road outpouring for maximizing traffic

And a bidirectional split off that works as efficiently. (note, those are alternating direction 2 lane one way roads on the sides of the trident)

This is mesmerising. But what's that one red doughnut car doing on the left central road (everything else goes left; it goes on and up)?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Beefeater1980 posted:

This is mesmerising. But what's that one red doughnut car doing on the left central road (everything else goes left; it goes on and up)?

Some motherfucker's are always tryin' to ice skate uphill...

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I can't believe you build rivers of poop. Also: lollin' at Chris Brown Human Waste Facility

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think you will find that doughnut trucks employ their own unique AI that hinges essentially on being mobile roadblocks in industrial zones. I have a suspicion that they are actually guerrilla terrorists or part of some sort of frosted Illuminati bent on inconveniencing semi trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I hope they re-work some of the pathing AI so gaming :rimshot: the road system won't be necessary.