Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I love how the motivations of residents don't match reality at all, but this game is a ton of fun. I am loving awful at traffic management and jacked up my buses and attempted metros, so it's just an LA-style nightmare of gridlock. So then I built a beach-front suburb with low density residential on the beach, then some highrise residential and a bit of commercial inset off the beach. This was then linked directly to the main avenue into the main city, thinking that the elite would flock to this area, because it's waterfront property away from the hellscape of the city streets. Instead a bunch of poor people moved in, because apparently a 20 minute commute from your damned beachfront property is too much for the rich people to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Chewbot posted:

Pimping my work. Color correction for everyone!

True color correction. Best on Temperate maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960822

Sunset color correction. Best on Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406958722

Future color correction. Best on Temperate or Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960231

Desert color correction. Best on Tropical maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408602076

And you can get the desert oasis map in that screenshot here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408599649

Cheers.

I recommend this chap's awesome sunset color setup for my Mars map : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408111134
(unfortunately not included in the screenshot)

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005

Chewbot posted:

Pimping my work. Color correction for everyone!

True color correction. Best on Temperate maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960822

Sunset color correction. Best on Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406958722

Future color correction. Best on Temperate or Boreal maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406960231

Desert color correction. Best on Tropical maps: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408602076

And you can get the desert oasis map in that screenshot here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408599649

Cheers.

These are beautiful. You are beautiful.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

totalnewbie posted:

I hope they re-work some of the pathing AI so gaming (:rimshot:) the road system won't be necessary.

It isn't, traffic isn't really a problem in this game unless you are making really poor decisions or don't care.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

totalnewbie posted:

I hope they re-work some of the pathing AI so gaming :rimshot: the road system won't be necessary.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?844893-PSA-Official-Progress-Update according to the official progress update, "Potential traffic AI issues/improvements" is on their list of things to address after patch 1 (bugfixes).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It isn't, traffic isn't really a problem in this game unless you are making really poor decisions or don't care.

Traffic is mostly a self-inflicted wound for me, but it's funny to follow an AI truck that will suffer through 10 traffic lights in crammed traffic rather than take the bypass road I build that skips all the lights. The AI is overly averse to traveling a greater overland distance, even if it means the trip would be half as long time-wise.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

thinking that the elite would flock to this area, because it's waterfront property away from the hellscape of the city streets. Instead a bunch of poor people moved in
For some reason waterfront property is a negative in this game. Property value in general is odd. My polluted industrial park is full of children's playgrounds with brown trees.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mlmp08 posted:

Traffic is mostly a self-inflicted wound for me, but it's funny to follow an AI truck that will suffer through 10 traffic lights in crammed traffic rather than take the bypass road I build that skips all the lights. The AI is overly averse to traveling a greater overland distance, even if it means the trip would be half as long time-wise.

Are you sure your roads are set up directly? My trucks will use higher speed, higher capacity roads rather than driving through residential neighborhoods unless they are going to save a significant amount of time by taking the shorter route.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Are you sure your roads are set up directly? My trucks will use higher speed, higher capacity roads rather than driving through residential neighborhoods unless they are going to save a significant amount of time by taking the shorter route.

It seems a bit odd. In one place, the trucks immediately switched to my bypass. Then I build pretty much the exact same style of bypass elsewhere and the only cars that seem to use it are utility vehicles like garbage trucks and hearses while the commercial trucks just sit in traffic all day, one block over.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mlmp08 posted:

It seems a bit odd. In one place, the trucks immediately switched to my bypass. Then I build pretty much the exact same style of bypass elsewhere and the only cars that seem to use it are utility vehicles like garbage trucks and hearses while the commercial trucks just sit in traffic all day, one block over.

Strange, unless your trucks are leaving the highway in order to make their deliveries. All of my serious traffic jams are due to bottlenecks, usually around highways. I've also been making my city as much like Los Angeles as I can manage, so I'm not sure what's up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mlmp08 posted:

How long have you waited? Routes are generated at spawn unless forced to regenerate due to a road being deleted.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I was referring to the sort of thing posted above where sliding a 2 lane road segment into a 6 lane road actually improves efficiency. This shouldn't be the case, obviously.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

eggyolk posted:

For some reason waterfront property is a negative in this game. Property value in general is odd. My polluted industrial park is full of children's playgrounds with brown trees.

I would love for a city building game to recognize land value correctly i.e. waterfront, hilltop and downtown proximity, as opposed to "how many playgrounds are nearby". I bet it could be modded.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
gently caress Ea, buy this poo poo

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So I've been working on this city with the 25 tile mod for a few days now, I'm not finished yet, but its times like this - when I was following a jet as it came into land, that the scale kind of hits you.

It's also making money (not that it matters) - and has traffic thats largely functional, though it has its snarls. The main problem seems to be constant merging into mid-lane or refusal to not merge into alternate lanes, some of the route finding is also a bit questionable.

That and busocalypse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

I hope they re-work some of the pathing AI so gaming :rimshot: the road system won't be necessary.

But.. that's what made SC4 fun. Don't take away my spergy traffic controller dreams from me. :qq:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

totalnewbie posted:

I was referring to the sort of thing posted above where sliding a 2 lane road segment into a 6 lane road actually improves efficiency. This shouldn't be the case, obviously.
I don't know if we have the same definition of obvious. Because after playing the game it becomes obvious you want as many lanes going into an intersection in a direction as there are coming out. Which the ideal set up takes into account, while the brute force method ignores the idea.

But what people are actually saying is you don't need to get that deep into it unless you want to. Its possible to make entirely functioning road systems without the perfect 6 lane trident.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Slickdrac posted:

Left: How the AI handles traffic by default (ex; I need to turn right in 5 blocks, I'll get all the way to the right immediately) Right: Optimally running a 6 lane one way road, traffic spreads out and uses all lanes for maximum throughput.

The Traffic Trident, a main trunk 6 lane road that maximizes throughput while permitting 2 way traffic that can return to the main trunk line. (Note: Left and Right roads are NOT 4 lanes, they are opposing direction 2 lane one ways)

Fixed my post to make more sense, multitasking makes you braindead.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Anyone know how car modding works? Is it possible to 'add' a car to a city set, or is there one set of cars and modded cars would replace existing ones (eg a new car would replace the donut trucks)

I want to recolour the civilian cars to be less pastelly. Would also love to mod regional police cars as I love modding low rez textures.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a question about garbage collection: I want to de-zone and clean up an industrial district, but I don't know if I can move way my garbage incinerators to a far away part of my region. Will the garbage still be picked up even if my stuff isn't close them (no green streets in the garbage overlay)? Kinda sucks that they're polluting my stuff.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Any tips on getting level 3 offices? Do parks help them like they do residential? Or do I need to cover them in other things?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Chewbot posted:

I would love for a city building game to recognize land value correctly i.e. waterfront, hilltop and downtown proximity, as opposed to "how many playgrounds are nearby". I bet it could be modded.

Didn't one of the older Sim Cities recognize this? Or at least "Higher = better" as far as land value?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Freakus posted:

Any tips on getting level 3 offices? Do parks help them like they do residential? Or do I need to cover them in other things?

They need to be covered by all the same services that your residential buildings are, including schools, hospitals, etc. I also have found that stacking multiple service buildings will allow them to upgrade. Sometimes three fire stations within a few blocks just isn't enough, apparently. It's really stupid right now.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Didn't one of the older Sim Cities recognize this? Or at least "Higher = better" as far as land value?

I remember this too, but I can't remember which game it was. Might have been Tropico or like Cities XL? It made a bit of sense and it would be cool to see on some of the maps with varying elevation.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Fhqwhgads posted:

It was SC2k. Also waterfront property and trees nearby factored into land value as well.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 16, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love seeing all the pictures in this thread of people reinventing the wheel when it comes to highways. Overpasses and frontage roads exist for a reason!

It's probably a bit hard to see but adjacent to each side of the highway is a matching, normal 1-way road. These two lane roads have been handling traffic just fine, especially when mixed with U-turn lanes made out of on-ramps.

There's really no big traffic issues anywhere. Some of the on-ramps and U-turns are used pretty heavily, but there's none of the usual "backed up for miles" gridlock I normally get. Outside of the occasional "every single industrial building gets a shipment at once" issue that crops up now and then.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Higher / better would make sense in C:S too since the lower you are the greater your chances of being flooded in poo water by a badly thought out drat placement or fluctuating river. So long as "higher" was measured from a gradient from the lowest average tile on your overall map rather than having an all raised tile map be a richie rich enclave otherwise its just exploitable design.

e:

Alkydere posted:

I love seeing all the pictures in this thread of people reinventing the wheel when it comes to highways. Overpasses and frontage roads exist for a reason!

Everything works fine when you have a low density zone like the one pictured there. Its when you have highway intersections in the center of high density commercial residential downtown that links to industrial areas far from the edges of the map that simple frontage roads are insufficient. Thats where crazy rear end roundabout into roundabout type setups come into play.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 16, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

It was SC2k.

The original SimCity did it too, the random trees in would give a land value boost to zones built near them. I seem to recall it was one of the only ways to easily get the highest class residential houses. Park spamming might have worked too, but I don't really remember anymore.

SimCity also had a fun quirk where you could bulldoze individual tiles off the 9x9 zone to dezone that square, which a buddy and I exploited to build single home paradises way outside the main city. The richest of the rich lived there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Spaceman Future! posted:

Higher / better would make sense in C:S too since the lower you are the greater your chances of being flooded in poo water by a badly thought out drat placement or fluctuating river. So long as "higher" was measured from a gradient from the lowest average tile on your overall map rather than having an all raised tile map be a richie rich enclave otherwise its just exploitable design.
Tying a land value bonus to clear water shores and malus to poo poo water would also have the benefit of giving a gameplay reason to build water treatment plants instead of outfall pipes.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's dam, goddamnit :argh:

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Embrace the power of of the off-ramp tool

It's like TX.jpg meets CA.jpg

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

HardDisk posted:

It's dam, goddamnit :argh:

Not when it floods :v:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Spaceman Future! posted:

I think it would be better for land value to be based on nearby change in elevation, so if your map has a giant plateau the land in the middle of the plateau isn't more valuable than the land, say, right next to the edge of the cliff with an amazing view. Areas close to water should be worth more than areas further away.

For example, in this screenshot quite a few of the houses on the large hill would have the same value as the buildings on the middle-right side of the shot because they are at the same elevation, despite the fact that the houses on the hill have a significantly better view.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cIGYpFA68

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alkydere posted:

It's probably a bit hard to see but adjacent to each side of the highway is a matching, normal 1-way road. These two lane roads have been handling traffic just fine, especially when mixed with U-turn lanes made out of on-ramps.

There's really no big traffic issues anywhere. Some of the on-ramps and U-turns are used pretty heavily, but there's none of the usual "backed up for miles" gridlock I normally get. Outside of the occasional "every single industrial building gets a shipment at once" issue that crops up now and then.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try frontage roads to fix the problems I'm having with my current offramps.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
That Quill intersection video is incredibly helpful, despite him using the term 'theorycrafting'.

I was able to make these two zones with virtually no traffic, and zero traffic lights, save the two intersections. I'm going to use the 3 lane highway to remove those so I can make a completely traffic light free city.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd so love a mod that made land value a bit more important, so it wasn't the natural end-result that every single house turns into a mansion so long as it has a school and hospital near it. And that water and elevation changes really added to land value. Also maybe have a wider range for industry being yucky to live next to. Right now you really only need 1-building buffer and they're good to build a glass mansion.

Also there's no class in this game, it's a communist society. Everyone is equal and everyone simply works the best job they are qualified for. Your job has nothing to do with your housing, housing simply upgrades en-mass for everyone as communal services increase.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 16, 2015

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

WMain00 posted:

Good god:

Reddit for Chirpy

:stare:

The source code is intriguing - it's basically a web scraper that retrieves posts and displays them in the chirpy feed at a set rate. It could be reworked to do that on any website.

wow

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If waterfront property ever gets a bonus, it would be cool if high density residential buildings got a bigger boost but also lowered the bonus for everything around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Hey, if SC2k could do it, I bet this game could.

C'mon CO, make the waterfront property valuable.