Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anyone know if its possible to modify the rate of garbage output for a building, or the "multiplier" for residences/job-spots when a building upgrades?

How many residences can a bigass tower hold IRL anyways in terms of condos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah it's something about the way Skylines imports stuff, seems to be unit-agnostic. Anyway, I export it all as fbx, and the supported maps are diffuse, normal, spec, alpha and luminance. Once you do that, you can import objects as props, then make a building using the prop.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

xzzy posted:

"Blender noob to pro" was once the default suggestion but I'm not sure it's been updated in a long time. A second choice would be the blender tutorial hub:

http://www.blender.org/support/tutorials/

Without knowing your background it could take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks before you get something into the game.

I followed noob to pro and well, it helps. Unfortunately a lot of the tutorials, especially toward the end, target an older version when the ui was different, so you need to search for some of that poo poo.

And you really need to follow a tutorial, Blender isn't very discoverable for a noob.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

simosimo posted:

Too soon?

Not soon enough. Brilliant.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd hesitate recommending Blender to a newbie. I've no problem using it because I've used various 3d programs over the years and it's all the same, just a matter of finding out what the hell it's called in this particular package and how to get to it. For someone new to 3d modelling? Uuuuuuh.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

nielsm posted:

But how the hell are you supposed to build a city from two highway spurs?!

Here, let me show you.

You only have a simple two-lane road available initially. That's fine, you don't need anything more. Just pick that.

Connect those two fuckers!

Build some more roads. Make a four-lane down the middle. It's probably better to connect that off the offramp than the onramp.
Try both, if you zoom all the way in you can see that some intersections get lights and some don't. It depends on how big roads and whether they're one or two way. Don't worry about it yet. (Your traffic will be light early on, some bad design won't kill you this soon.)

This is loving disgusting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I'd hesitate recommending Blender to a newbie. I've no problem using it because I've used various 3d programs over the years and it's all the same, just a matter of finding out what the hell it's called in this particular package and how to get to it. For someone new to 3d modelling? Uuuuuuh.

And what are the alternatives? Laying down a month's rent on one of 3DS or Maya?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243580/

:v:

Otherwise yes, Blender is free, but it'll be like learning to drive but all the labels in the car and the maps are printed out by Google auto translate from some factory in Shenzen.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 16, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving learn to merge properly you retards:

I have been dicking around with this interchange for ages trying to find something that doesn't result in massive jams and they all fall apart just because these idiot drivers can't use more than one lane.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
Rail over road is now a thing I guess.

Modders are going to put Colossal Order out of business at this rate.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

DEO3 posted:

Rail over road is now a thing I guess.

Modders are going to put Colossal Order out of business at this rate.

That's tomorrow evening after work sorted for me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kind of wish there was a 1910 setting for this game where mass transit was incredibly important because most people didn't own a car, also everything moved much slower.

It'd sure help railways be more relevant.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

SynthOrange posted:

Nah it's something about the way Skylines imports stuff, seems to be unit-agnostic. Anyway, I export it all as fbx, and the supported maps are diffuse, normal, spec, alpha and luminance. Once you do that, you can import objects as props, then make a building using the prop.

Well poo poo.

Autodesk has a .fbx exporter that might fix the issue, because even following the guide I'm having trouble with actually getting the thing into the game. I've set the scales and all that and added a test map and... nothing. Any particular settings you used?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just the default settings out of blender. Got PMs? When I get home I'll upload a reference file that I used successfully to get stuff into the game. (I only just got into work tho, it'll be about another 8 hours :v:)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243580/

:v:

Otherwise yes, Blender is free, but it'll be like learning to drive but all the labels in the car and the maps are printed out by Google auto translate from some factory in Shenzen.

Huh, shows how well I keep up on the pulse of things. I had no idea they'd made a Steam release.

To be fair I stopped looking for options a long time ago, once I got over Blender's learning hump it's proven sufficient for just about everything I need.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Just the default settings out of blender. Got PMs? When I get home I'll upload a reference file that I used successfully to get stuff into the game. (I only just got into work tho, it'll be about another 8 hours :v:)

Yeah, I have PM. It'd be good to know because I'm really banging my head against the wall on this.

e: well I got it to work, but apparently I created the texture upside-down :downs:

e2: sort of. It appears in the preview window but not in the edit mode.

e3: actually... I think it IS appearing, it's just really, really, really, really tiny despite me jacking the scale up. What the hell.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 17, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

StarMinstrel posted:

I recommend this chap's awesome sunset color setup for my Mars map : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408111134
(unfortunately not included in the screenshot)

Hey yo just wanted to say your Mars map is probably my favorite of all I've tried so far, both stock and modded. It's got a great combination of features, altitudes, plains., etc that make it really fun to work with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, as I said, when exporting from Blender the scale needs to be 400x to be tile for tile. You can set it from the FBX export window, there's a panel on the left to set the export scale. Alternatively when importing it into Cities, you can set the scale to 400 instead of 1.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Cool, I just got this thing to work! Hooray! Except now it's slightly too large!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I made a t-intersection of highways, but then decided I wanted to carry on the bit beyond the T and I already had a rail line and some roads laid down and I guess it's just :suicide:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Is it me or are ore/oil deposits just too shallow? They last for maybe a year with the appropriate zoned industry on top of them, and then next thing you know you turn around and all your mining buildings and pumpjacks are turned into smelters and refineries which now have to import stuff, doubling your truckloads.

At least they make bank while they're doing that, but walk away from your city for 15 minutes and money's not an problem.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ofaloaf posted:

I made a t-intersection of highways, but then decided I wanted to carry on the bit beyond the T and I already had a rail line and some roads laid down and I guess it's just :suicide:
Excitement Rating: 5.4
Intensity Rating: 6.6
Nasuea Rating: 8.0

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Ofaloaf posted:

I wish there was an option to "lock" your cash when you want to modify roads. The amount of placing, deleting, and redoing can kill your cash quick, but when you "unlock" it subtracts the amount needed for the current configuration.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Why don't cargo trains come to this station? I built it along with my new downtown district to attempt to resolve some problems my commercial zones were having with their goods supplies. I had anticipated that cargo trains would arrive, vans would spawn, and they would drive off to deliver to the shops in the area. But literally not one train ever arrived. Eventually I decided I was going to have to put a new industrial zone in after years of being office-only, which is partially visible on the right. It failed miserably due to lack of workers, but for some reason the cargo stations there receive deliveries, and so you can see the little horde of vans crossing the bridge on their way to deliver to my commercial district. But why won't they visit the station downtown?

The station is on, powered, watered, connected by rail in both directions and has road access (and removing the junction right in front of the station makes no difference). What's going on?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

quote!=edit

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

OwlFancier posted:

I kind of wish there was a 1910 setting for this game where mass transit was incredibly important because most people didn't own a car, also everything moved much slower.

It'd sure help railways be more relevant.

no airports, but to compensate you'd be able to plan and build sprawling, complex harbors and shipping lanes! God, that would be amazing.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Now that my prop is in the game... how the hell do I use it on buildings and stuff?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's probably too much to ever hope for from skylines, but what I'd really like from the next step forward in city sims is one that allows you to start your city in pre-modern time (say, in the medieval to early industrial age) and develop it from there and into modern times with the needs and methods of city development changing radically over time.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Slickdrac posted:

The Traffic Trident, a main trunk 6 lane road that maximizes throughput while permitting 2 way traffic that can return to the main trunk line. (Note: Left and Right roads are NOT 4 lanes, they are opposing direction 2 lane one ways)

Do you have an asset for this?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:w00t:

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/707402399209628903/4F77141FE887F6D98C9EFE3661FD728BB84E33FC/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409184143&searchtext=police

"Only ambulances, hearses, police cars, fire trucks and garbage trucks can use these roads. Commercial zones will not last long (no supplies to sell). Buses will be added later. "

Now there is a mod that allows pedestrian walkways to be used by public service vehicles. Police, Fire EMS and garbage trucks will use pedestrian walkways and you can also zone pedestrian walkways with buildings.

This is awesome. It allows you to build better neighborhoods without worrying about the services getting there. Plenty of European cities have walkable-only ways that police still use but no private cars are allowed into.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sigseven posted:

This Swindon Magic Roundabout knock-off says otherwise:

You want bad Swindon Magic implementation? I'll give you bad Swindon Magic implementation.

That's closer to how the actual thing works.

With the prescient lane-handling system it'd probably work pretty well.

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Running around the town you built with the citizen eye level camera mod is literally all the knees of all the bees.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406749417

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
This Timboh guy has dumped a pretty neat bunch of everyone's favourite interchanges onto the Workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198060118858/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

quote:

Gothic interchanges have a bit of a shady reputation, worse than it deserves in my opinion. They sometimes go by the name "Malfunction Crossing" due to its deceptivly broken-looking structure, with the mainline carriageways switching sides. The name also originates from the problems with the ramps in the inner lane. This is a problem in the real world, where heavier, slower traffic will have a hard time reaching, and leaving, these ramps. However, I think a directional setup might be beneficial in-game, since concepts like road safety, and individual vehicle speed (seperate from road speed) doesn't seem to affect the capacity of the interchange.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

Now that my prop is in the game... how the hell do I use it on buildings and stuff?

Create new asset - Building. Pick a building type and build. For some reason the props are plopped under Park equipment. I havent figured out how to add icons to a prop yet either so it'll appear as an incomplete grey pile of bricks when looking for it in the menu.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
You guys and your efficient roads are just so boring.

When in doubt, add another road.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Create new asset - Building. Pick a building type and build. For some reason the props are plopped under Park equipment. I havent figured out how to add icons to a prop yet either so it'll appear as an incomplete grey pile of bricks when looking for it in the menu.

Oh, hah... thar she blows. The benches section. Didn't even notice before!

Well, guess it's time to get modeling :downs:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vahakyla posted:

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/707402399209628903/4F77141FE887F6D98C9EFE3661FD728BB84E33FC/

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409184143&searchtext=police

"Only ambulances, hearses, police cars, fire trucks and garbage trucks can use these roads. Commercial zones will not last long (no supplies to sell). Buses will be added later. "

Now there is a mod that allows pedestrian walkways to be used by public service vehicles. Police, Fire EMS and garbage trucks will use pedestrian walkways and you can also zone pedestrian walkways with buildings.

This is awesome. It allows you to build better neighborhoods without worrying about the services getting there. Plenty of European cities have walkable-only ways that police still use but no private cars are allowed into.

Haha. Holy poo poo. This rules.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fire engines barrelling down the skywalks. :getin:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

Haha. Holy poo poo. This rules.

Must-have mod. Hope the visual glitch he mentions isnt too awful, but the functionality alone means you've gotta have this poo poo IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Here comes some mods, baby :getin: