Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
i am deceitful due to my racial handicap

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

im gay

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
trek thread star

Literal Carehaver
Oct 20, 2014

by Cowcaster
spacejaps

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Brian Johnson best Romulan

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

remember when spock was sent to seduce that one romulan/vulcan and he did a really good job of it and then he ditched her because he was such a coldhearted bitch (and because his heart belonged to kirk)?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Are they just like Vulcan evil twins or what?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hobohemian posted:

they are supposed to be vulcans who left vulcan because they wanted to remain super emotional and unhinged but are depicted as vulcans who sometimes become mildly angry or vindictive. pretty bad villains imo

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Hobohemian posted:

They are Vulcans minus the enlightinment.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

vulcans founded an entire society upon the principles of being easily annoyed and passive aggressive

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
IT'S A FAAAAAAKE!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Aw poo poo i'm in star trek. *self destructs warbird*

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

distance wise earth is between vulcan and romulus, also the only thing they seem to have in common with vulcans are the ears and green blood

possibly its a coincidence they seem to look similar, but there are races that look almost identical to humans and its rarely speculated that the two species are related.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

im probably a bad guy

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

im pooping! posted:

distance wise earth is between vulcan and romulus, also the only thing they seem to have in common with vulcans are the ears and green blood

possibly its a coincidence they seem to look similar, but there are races that look almost identical to humans and its rarely speculated that the two species are related.

You're wrong, it's directly established that Vulcans and Romulans are related as early as in ToS. It's canon, brah.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

opus111 posted:

You're wrong, it's directly established that Vulcans and Romulans are related as early as in ToS. It's canon, brah.

oh word?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
lol…i'm reman…my skin is all pale and hosed and stuff b/c i'm too much of a pussy to live on the side of my planet that actually gets sunlight!!!!!!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

opus111 posted:

that's interesting you say that because it isn't true

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

IT'S A FAAAAAAKE!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
*betrays others out of habit at this point*

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

How the gently caress did no one notice that Kirk disguised himself as one of us in order to steal the cloaking device?!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

im pooping! posted:

that's interesting you say that because it isn't true

quote:

The Romulans were a humanoid race from the planet Romulus in the Alpha Quadrant. The Romulans were biological cousins of Vulcans, as they were descended from those who rejected Surak's reforms during the Time of Awakening. The Romulan Star Empire was the Romulan state and one of the major powers known in the galaxy.

quote:

Commander Spock once theorized that Sargon's people may have colonized Vulcan some 600,000 years ago. Sargon believed that Humans and Vulcans (and therefore also Romulans) might even be descendants of their early travelers. (TOS: "Return to Tomorrow"

In said episode, when the Romulans are revealed on the view screen (for the first time in trek's history), their resemblence to Spock causes the crew to act warily towards him, almost racist, in fact.

Also consider the TNG episode 'Unification'.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

at least i'm not a cardassian

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

opus111 posted:

In said episode, when the Romulans are revealed on the view screen (for the first time in trek's history), their resemblence to Spock causes the crew to act warily towards him, almost racist, in fact.

trap sprung

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

trap sprung

I wear my star fleet badge with pride.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
better romulan than ferengi

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ummm

I'm Nero, I guess? burn rome and poo poo

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Picard likes the Romulans. In this video he sings the anthem of their Star Empire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFITME0zI8

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

opus111 posted:

The thing that I've read that makes the most sense is they lived on the same planet as two distinct species so in that sense they are technically related. 2000 years isn't enough time for their visual divergence so it makes sense that Romulans always had the forehead ridges, or at least had them for longer than the 2000 years since they lost then regained contact.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Romulans and Ferengi always got to me.

Like, you can't come up with a cohesive society that has hyperspace transport and crazy rear end technology if you'd stab/steal from your own mother since the time you could walk.

I GET that they are bad/untrustworthy. Ok. But it's to the point where their own societies couldn't loving function because they'd chew each others legs off for a piece of candy thrown into a crowd.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
<has an empire that spans a vast area of space with a huge fleet and hundreds of colonized worlds>
<has one of the most ruthless spy agencies in the galaxy, who keeps tabs on all of its citizens>
<doesn't notice that a Picard clone is building a loving warship on one of the moons of my home planet>
<gets bitchmade by Picard clone and his one ship full of space albinos>

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Blistex posted:

<has an empire that spans a vast area of space with a huge fleet and hundreds of colonized worlds>
<has one of the most ruthless spy agencies in the galaxy, who keeps tabs on all of its citizens>
<doesn't notice that a Picard clone is building a loving warship on one of the moons of my home planet>
<gets bitchmade by Picard clone and his one ship full of space albinos>

Let's not speak of that film again. Goddamn it was poo poo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Sir we regret to inform Star Fleet command that Ferengi Governor Kum Quat was unable to sign our lucrative 100 year lease of warp core technology at this morning's summit convention because his brother Quizikle poisoned him after being unable to secure trade rights to the extra pancake served to Kum Quat."

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
*persecutes Talos worshipers*

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

opus111 posted:

Let's not speak of that film again. Goddamn it was poo poo.

The Scimitar was a beast, and Enterprise-E copulating with it was surprisingly arousing.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

in my head i cant tell the difference between the plots of the star trek reboot ep. 1 and nemesis

all i remember is romulans, big scary ships, earth is in danger, stuff happens and things explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

in my head i cant tell the difference between the plots of the star trek reboot ep. 1 and nemesis

all i remember is romulans, big scary ships, earth is in danger, stuff happens and things explode

i've got a system, if geordi has a goatee, the movie is bad.. or good.... gently caress If forget

• Locked thread