Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Parallax Scroll posted:

generations wasn't about any threat to earth was it? just some buttfuck planet no one cared about

True, but I think they mentioned that there was some sort of industrial or pre-industrial culture on the planet. What I disliked about the plot, and the plots of Insurrection/Nemesis/ST:09/ST:ID is that they all revolved around a crazy guy with a doomsday weapon. Wrath of Khan was awesome, but they kept recycling the plot while forgetting what made it a good movie. There was tons of character development, there was a backstory, there was a theme about getting old and feeling useless, etc. The aforementioned movies were all, "Herp Derp, bad guy has a super weapon!" You could say The Motion Picture and The Voyage Home had similar plots, but they were done in a much better way and the enemies were not insane guys, and the "destruction of earth" wasn't due to malicious intent.

Watching the Extra Content on WOK where the actors and writers are talking about making the movie really makes it apparent how the story was the #1 priority in WOK while you can tell that the newer movies were more interested in the Picard/Data wankfest and Lens Flares rather than plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
generations is a badass trek movie imo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

generations is a badass trek movie imo

Which part? The part where a grown man cries like a frightened child, the part where a tiny-rear end Klingon ship takes down the Enterprise D, the glaring plot holes made possible by the magical macguffin, the hamfisted B-plot where the super-autistic robot tries to be comic relief that never amounts to anything, or the part where one of the most important characters in the franchise goes out like a total chump for no compelling reason whatsoever?

Generations is one of those movies that isn't that bad when you watch it but if you sit and reflect on it for like, thirty goddamn seconds it starts to piss you off hardcore.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
First Contact was pretty cool though, but I think that was largely because they finally played their Borg trump card.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
lol if you get mad at movies

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Ape Fist posted:

First Contact was pretty cool though, but I think that was largely because they finally played their Borg trump card.

It was the last good trek film imo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ape Fist posted:

Pretty much. I'm calling it now-- the next Trek film is going to be TOS meets the Borg. I called Khan back in 2009 and kept firm all the way up until release in 2013 despite other Goons angryposting at me "cause the production team swears it isn't Khan you idiot", so I feel justified in doing this.

opus111 posted:

By a wide margin, and even then it isn't more than dumb fun for the most part.

Fetus Tree posted:

lol if you get mad at movies

Beep boop Goonbot does not compute e-mo-tions. Is the tattoo on your rear end of Data or Spock?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

opus111 posted:

A lot of people complained it was 'Dark'. Which I thought was sort of nonsense. TNG had a lot of 'dark' storylines and dark moral choices the difference is that it was done behind lenses caked in what appears to be Vaseline and skin-tight jumpsuits.

mind the walrus posted:

Pretty much. I'm calling it now-- the next Trek film is going to be TOS meets the Borg.

I really loving hope not. The Borg of that particular time-frame are just as brutally powerful as they were at TNG-levels. And in fairness, TNG Borg would also largely ignore the Federation at that state because all they're doing is feebly roaming around their small corner of the Galaxy. Then again The Borg's introduction to Starfleet was done very specifically by Q as a test because he believed at the time the Federation were potentially resourceful and clever enough to figure out how to handle them.

Not that the new movies give a gently caress about Canon anyway.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 17, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
undiscovered country fuckin rules too btw

and also mind the walrus, if somebody actually gets mad at star trek generations yes i am going to lol at them

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ape Fist posted:

I really loving hope not. The Borg of that particular time-frame are just as brutally powerful as they were at TNG-levels. And in fairness, TNG Borg would also largely ignore the Federation at that state because all they're doing is feebly roaming around their small corner of the Galaxy. Then again The Borg's introduction to Starfleet was done very specifically by Q as a test because he believed at the time the Federation were potentially resourceful and clever enough to figure out how to handle them.

Not that the new movies give a gently caress about Canon anyway.

That feeling in the pit of your stomach? That's the part of you that knows drat well I'm closer to being right than you want to admit. The reboot series is far from as bad as it could be-- it's actually got a really good cast--but it also suffers a lot from screenwriters that take a word cloud from Trekkie focus groups "Khan, Undiscovered Country, Section 31, Klingons, Borg, Q, Tribbles" and transplant as much as they can into the script regardless of context.

Fetus Tree posted:

and also mind the walrus, if somebody actually gets mad at star trek generations yes i am going to lol at them

Undiscovered Country really does loving rule. It's a much closer second to WoK than most people think.

And that's fine, but you never answered--Spock or Data?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

mind the walrus posted:

And that's fine, but you never answered--Spock or Data?

I recreated the gel rubbing scene from enterprise with trip and tpol

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
From what I've seen of Star Trek Vulcans without emotional control are supposed to be violent, impulsive and paranoid. The Romulans are more a scheming, totalitarian and underhanded sort so I don't really like that explanation. :colbert:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
They split off like a long rear end time ago

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Vulcans are Jews, romulans area arabs

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Biomute posted:

From what I've seen of Star Trek Vulcans without emotional control are supposed to be violent, impulsive and paranoid. The Romulans are more a scheming, totalitarian and underhanded sort so I don't really like that explanation. :colbert:

Actually they're both scheming totaliatiean and underhanded, vulcans just have better pr

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I'm glad that thing had knees!

Not all species keep their genitals in the same place...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

opus111 posted:

I liked most of ST2009, but it had its issues. I thought the cast was pretty good for a reboot though. Nero was kind of a crappy villain, and I didn't like the decision to blow up Vulcan.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

it was passable sci-fi but it wasn't trek. thats my issue with it.

also its annoying cos when i finally admit to a gal that i like trek they always think im talking about the new one and i have to keep the rage inside me cos i dont want to look like a sad nerd.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

as a kid watching trek i learned that racism is bad and even people of radically different beliefs and cultures can cooperate

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Gonna be REALLY patronizing to the space jews i holocausted.

EDIT: I just realized that this could also easily apply to cardies. STAR TREK IS FULL OF ORGINAL IDEAS.

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dark Elves Vulcan

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mange Mite posted:

Vulcans are Jews, romulans area arabs

Star Trek has too many space Jews.

The Bajorans because they got occupied.
The Ferengi because they are early-1900's Jewish stereotypes played by predominantly Jewish actors.
The Cardassians because they brutally occupied another people.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Blistex posted:

The Ferengi because they are early-1900's Jewish stereotypes played by predominantly Jewish actors.

Cardassians can't be jews because that would mean a mainstream american entertainment program criticized Israel.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Blistex posted:

They are even different kinds of jews. its amazing when you think about it. Bajorans follow the whiny reform jew stereotype. Ferengi are the money-grubbing weasel type. Cardies are zionists. JEWS JEWS JEWS! Its OK tho and not racist. Ferengi and Dukat at least. Cuz they mad funny.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

drat GBS is obsessed with jews.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Vulcans made first contact with humans only to use humanity as muscle in their civil war against the Romulans. Look it up.

naem
May 29, 2011

Humans are the illegal immigrants of the something something

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Parallax Scroll posted:

generations wasn't about any threat to earth was it? just some buttfuck planet no one cared about

Generations was a lovely movie. Stopping fusion in a star does not get rid of it's mass.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ALSO light travels at a set speed and when the viridian star turns dark no one on the surface of viridian 3 or whatever would even know for 7-8 minutes because thats how long it takes light to reach an m class planet

ALSO light speed travel is impossible

ALSO theres no sound in space

ALSO its a fictional movie and tv series

p'takh

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Fetus Tree posted:

What, no love for Star Trek V? The Final Frontier? No love for Shatner of the Mount?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2ftCitvyQ

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wrath of Khan really is the perfect sci-fi movie, and every single attempt to remake it shows how utterly moronic current film makers are.

There were no ridiculous fist fights or action scenes. Kirk and Khan are never even on screen together. Everything was about the mental battle between them.

It's why the ship battles weren't just explosions for the sake of it - each movement was an extension of the characters.

Khan didn't need the biggest ship or huge army to be a threat either - he used cunning to get the upper hand. And as was said previously, he had a real back story, even beyond what happened in the TOS episode - he was a notorious figure in earth's history.

Absolutely everything in the movie had weight, and consequence, and import. Every character had a motivation, a line of thought that came through in their actions. It mattered when nameless crewmen died, and it mattered when major characters died.

The way Kirk and Dr Marcus looked at each other - you could feel the history between them even without the dialogue. You could feel how everything kept adding up to make Kirk feel old. You could feel how it was the characters of Kirk and Khan that was driving everything that happened.

None of it exists in Nemesis or the reboots. Nothing matters. They take ship battles and doomsday weapons and fighting and make it completely meaningless.

tl;dr I'm angry about spaceships.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
I was hoping Nemesis would be good because it had Romulans, arguably the coolest faction in Star Trek. It wasn't.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why don't they just put holoemitters on the bridge so when people beam over to fight the bridge crew and only the bridge crew as is custom you can spawn a sawblade and cut off their heads or something.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

why don't they weaponize teleporters? beam the other captain out into space before they raise shields. or beam a live torpedo into their engine room. why are you shooting poo poo? worf can't aim gently caress star trek

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There's a series of novels where the Federation actually uses all of its miraculous technology intelligently, creatively and to its full advantage.

Its by Scottish author Iain M. Banks, check it out.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

im pooping! posted:

ALSO its a fictional movie and tv series

p'takh
Generations didn't follow Star Trek technology. The missile the old dude shot at the star didn't have a warp engine, there's no way it could have reached the star within seconds. And don't forget Picard could have gone to any time and place he wanted once he was in the Nexus, and instead of going back to when they first met Malcolm McDowell in 10-Forward he decided to go back like twenty minutes.

Volcott posted:

Why don't they just put holoemitters on the bridge so when people beam over to fight the bridge crew and only the bridge crew as is custom you can spawn a sawblade and cut off their heads or something.

Imagine teleporting over, wondering where everybody is, and then the walls close in and crush you to death.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

why don't they weaponize teleporters? beam the other captain out into space before they raise shields. or beam a live torpedo into their engine room. why are you shooting poo poo? worf can't aim gently caress star trek
In Stargate: Atlantis, literally the first thing they do when they meet the Wraith in their first space battle is teleport nukes onto the ships. In Stargate: SG-1 they used the teleporters to teleport a dude into space, and also teleport a building into space. The Asgard wouldn't even let humans control the teleporters. Then, when every single Asgard decided to kill themselves, they gave Earth all of their technology because they want to gently caress over the universe by giving Republicans the ability to send millions of brown people to the moon with the press of a button. Rand Paul alone would teleport half of D.C. into a volcano to get rid of the Kenyan usurper in the White House.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 18, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Otisburg posted:

There's a series of novels where the Federation actually uses all of its miraculous technology intelligently, creatively and to its full advantage.

Its by Scottish author Iain M. Banks, check it out.

Pro post. He ain't kidding.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Both of those things happened on Voyager, though it was a former crewmember who stole some tech that did the guy-beaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Didnt they beam moriarty into space

• Locked thread