Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The End of the World as We Know It

The time is 31 December, 1999 AD (After Dobbs), and the city of Ycchyr is in full celebratory swing. Wine flows freely from the casks that stand sentry behind the bar at Ataru Moroboshi’s Fallen Star Tavern and Eatery, the three story building absolutely packed with revelers in various ethnic and religious costumes. The enthusiastic, magically augmented bass, drum, piano, and guitar of Uncle Redgar’s Gnomish Music Experience keep the party moving when the wine does not.

The roof of the Tavern provides a perfect view of the clock tower in the city center, the hub upon which the walled city turns. The illuminated hands stand at 6 minutes to midnight. A big, brightly colored ball is suspended from the top, ready to have its ropes cut so it can slam to the ground and explode in a shower of candy for the children. Other bars and taverns, indeed the streets themselves, are just as full. No one wants to miss a new year’s celebration as big as this.

Ycchyr is a peaceful trading hub, landlocked but located strategically at the confluence of all the major trading routes. The rolling steppes that surround it are dotted with small farms and the customary villages and hamlets each a day’s travel from one another. It hasn’t seen war in generations for two reasons: the blessing of the fisher king, which protects the city provided that the rightful ruler is on the throne, and the fact that all the surrounding nations rely on the city for goods coming both to and from, and messing that up would be absolutely devastating to their economies. The banking crisis alone could cost rulers their lives...

Speaking of rulers, there’s City Mayor Robert Ustenov Dobbs the 23rd, shaking hands with Carah Stone, the High Priestess of Eris. Dobbs has been mayor for years now -- winning every election as far back as you can remember, as did his father, Robert Carlos Dobbs the 22nd, and his father, and his father before him... all direct descendants (more or less) of the original Robert Dobbs, three fisted hero of the town and raiser of the original walls. Stone, on the other hand, won her job in a lottery, the traditional way the Erisians chose their leadership and all the tremendous power that goes along with it. According to the more power hungry factions in the church, she’s squandered it utterly; in the eyes of the traditionalists, she doing a bang up job; according to the average citizens, she’s much more approachable than her predecessor Piers Goodkind (who died tragically while blessing a new combine harvester), which is unsurprising considering she used to slaughter and package meat for a living.

There’s Moroboshi himself, clumsily balancing a tray of drinks as he attempts to serve a tableful of men and women in Algesian Cosair costumes. Two tieflings are engaged in a theology discussion with a pair of aasimar, over whether the gods are fundamentally chaotic or organized -- the tieflings argue that the gods couldn’t care less, thus rendering the entire point meaningless, while the aasimar have respectively chosen to argue for order and chaos, though all of them agree that the city’s government and religious practices certainly seem to point towards chaos. The debate would probably go much differently if there weren’t half a dozen empty glasses in front of each of them.

A curious sense of foreboding hangs in the air, but only you seem to feel it. The moon is full in the cloudless sky. Revelers crowd about happily, someone hands you a drink and slaps you on the back. You can’t see a single frown or grimace. The blessing of the fisher king must mean that the gods (whichever ones they are) are happy with the current mayor.

But what’s that in the sky, near the moon? It’s not a cloud or a meteor. More like a wrinkle? Something incorrect. Something wrong.

The clock ticks. “Five minutes!” someone yells, and the crowd cheers in response.

---

What is this?
A game adapted from an old high school notebook I found while cleaning out a box with my old D&D stuff in it (character sheets, notes, old homework and school papers, etc.). Exhaustively written about for years, never played, forever tinkered with because I needed to get everything just right before I could run it... it was too beautiful for this world. And while it probably should have been aborted in the womb, I instead invite all of you to share this adventure back into the early 00s with me. (And anyways, I’m sure we’ll soon deviate from my railroady high school self)

Why Pathfinder?
This was originally written for 3rd edition (well, it started being written for 2nd, and then I ported it over for 3rd when that came out...), and Pathfinder is the latest incarnation of that. 4e is too lovely and efficient for something like this, and would take a fair amount of effort to port over to. 5th I’m not familiar enough with to run, and doesn’t contain all the weird poo poo classes and races that 3.P does. Go hog wild and smash everything, abuse the system to your heart’s content.

Character Creation?
Start at 3rd level, with 20 points for stats, 2 background traits, and 3000 gp for items (including magic stuff appropriate for your level). Anything by Paizo is legal; run any 3rd party stuff by me first.

:filez: https://www.d20pfsrd.com for all the bits and bobs, if you didn’t know.

Houserules
-Skills are rather broadly interpreted. Profession: Sailor means you can tie knots, sail a ship, keelhaul someone, etc., not just earn half your skill check in gold for a week’s work.

-
Use revolvers, shotguns, and rifles if you want to play a gunslinger, but you won’t find ammo on the shelves for your strange, exotic weapon. You have to make your own from the components readily available from those shops.

-Make up gods of your own: Use any and all gods from any and all pantheons you like. Religions are highly competitive, and (much like in the real world) not necessarily respectful of one another.

-The usual “Good Rules” of gaming are in effect. Add details to the scene that make sense, make up details about the game universe and they’ll be worked in, choose which skills to roll for when you think they make sense and just roll them, I’m going to trust you not to cheat or fudge die rolls, etc.

Questions
-This is a pretty exclusive and hot spot. How’d you get in?
-What’s your theme song?
-What are your hobbies?
-What is the function of government in a well organized state?
-What is best in life?

I’ll choose 5 players, and we’ll keep recruitment open until next Friday, the 27th of March. Hit me up through PMs or just post in the thread if you have any questions.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
How is pathfinder compared to d&d?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Sounds nostalgic and awesome. I'll make something

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This sounds interesting

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I really need to make something for this.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
When you say "abuse the system to your heart’s content" I assume that means you're okay with rage cycling and other forms of RAW abuse?

Also, is there some kind of standardized character sheet template we can/should use?

EDIT: What about monster races?

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 17, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

This sounds amazing. I'm getting to work right now.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

goodness posted:

How is pathfinder compared to d&d?

It's basically D&D 3.75.

Some of the main changes are: races get +2 to two stats, rather than +2 -2, the classes now all get special abilities every level rather than just occasionally, get gets feats at every odd level, some of the maneuvers no one used in combat now target a special defense, go XP cost for creating magic items.

A full discussion of the changes can be found here: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/1/differences-between-dd-3-5-and-pathfinder

But in the end, it's still "roll a d20 over this number". If you played any 3rd ed, you can play it without any real trouble.

Terrorforge posted:

When you say "abuse the system to your heart’s content" I assume that means you're okay with rage cycling and other forms of RAW abuse?

Also, is there some kind of standardized character sheet template we can/should use?

EDIT: What about monster races?

Sure, go for broke! It's not the system doesn't break itself just by playing "Wizard 8", so whatever keeps the other classes competitive. And I'm more than happy with a Mos Eisley cantina style party.

Character sheet choice is your personal preference. There are a lot of good ones on Google Docs. One place I've found helpful is http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetindex.php

A quick reference template to stick into your posts for convenience is:

LE Possessed Human (Kitsune) Sorcerer, Level 1, Init +3, HP 9/9, Speed 30ft.
AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, CMD 11, Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +1, CMB -2, Base Attack Bonus 0 (+3 Dex)
Abilities Str 6, Dex 17, Con 9, Int 9, Wis 8, Cha 20
Condition None

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Wait, there's one thing I don't understand. Is this traditional fantasy or are there contemporary elements?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
How are you with Dreamscarred's psionics and/or Path of War?
Thinking about a priestess of Eris.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Mr Tastee posted:

Wait, there's one thing I don't understand. Is this traditional fantasy or are there contemporary elements?

It's Final Fantasy-ish: people still use swords and armor, but there is magical electricity for rich people. No one has managed to invent the car, but there are cannons on all the heavy iron walled ships that prowl the circling seas, and trains are beginning to be A Thing, much to the chagrin of the more traditional land animal based shipping companies. Folks carry around small rectangular "Crystals of Knowing When Someone Wants to Talk to You" clipped to their belts, and the well off have "Crystals of Long Speaking" for communicating with other such crystals, and which come in a variety of cases and styles for coordinating with your outfit or personal style. The less well off need to use the public booths (25 cp for 5 minutes), or their clunky, non-portable home sets. Magical golems were granted equal rights years ago, and clockwork prosthetic limbs are, if not commonplace, not something terribly exotic.

zachol posted:

How are you with Dreamscarred's psionics and/or Path of War?

Sure, those guys are great! Knock yourself out.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 17, 2015

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Not made a character for Pathfinder before, but just rolled up a Dwarf Fighter, figuring he'd be there as a bodyguard for a rich mining magnate (going to start with no profession, as I'm guessing his client will meet an unfortunate end?). Or would you prefer our characters to be there on their own merits?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

Not made a character for Pathfinder before, but just rolled up a Dwarf Fighter, figuring he'd be there as a bodyguard for a rich mining magnate (going to start with no profession, as I'm guessing his client will meet an unfortunate end?). Or would you prefer our characters to be there on their own merits?

That's a great reason for him to be there! With all these drunken revelers crashing into one another, some playing the knife and candle game, others trying to steal the single boot of an honest man (an important good luck practice for the new year), as well as the usual cut-purses and scallywags that haunt big crowds, who wouldn't want some extra protection? What his client's name? What does he mine?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

Toph Bei Fong posted:

That's a great reason for him to be there! With all these drunken revelers crashing into one another, some playing the knife and candle game, others trying to steal the single boot of an honest man (an important good luck practice for the new year), as well as the usual cut-purses and scallywags that haunt big crowds, who wouldn't want some extra protection? What his client's name? What does he mine?

Thanks! Random name generator tells me it's Kim Greysilver, and maybe he got suddenly rich with the increased demand for Iron in the last 50 or so years (it's gone from weapons and armour to rail roads, cannons and the cheaper end prosthetics). Could also be why he has hired a bodyguard, the iron mines were never the richest, so they wouldn't be run by prestigious or important clans, so he has to hire help to protect him!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Speaking of Path of War what is your opinion on the Path of War Expanded stuff that is in playtest?

Kind of want to builder some kind of brawling build using either a Steelfist Warlord, or maybe monk or something jumping through some hoops to get a specific discipline. Or maybe a Harbringer if the playtest stuff is available.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Going to make a scrollmaster wizard. He's retired from the tax and loads association, which handles the annual wheel tax and makes sure the great city remains perfectly aligned to continue it's eternal rotation. They employ a great many men, women, and lyra in the name of progress, and their field agents are the stuff of whispers and heavy drinking. That's behind him now, no more delicate negotiations at quillpoint, no more paperwork or paperwork, no more scrambling between the gears below the city streets one breath from a crushing death in the dark, no more chasing tax evaders with illegal weight to shift into the city. Done now, and that's the end of it. It wasn't the same after the old man retired anyways, and he's been cut loose along with the rest of his department in favor of fresh, more certain to toady, blood. He's taking a bit of time off, flirting with ideas of opening his own practice, training a few apprentices, or even just devoting himself to his scrollwork and finally working out that awkwardness with fire runes.

In short, he's at a crossroads in his life. Here to make merry, and try to leave his past behind, uncertain just what lies in store for him. (It's probably adventure)

What do you want us to do about hp? Pathfinder Society or Orokos?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

zachol posted:

Realized I missed this, sorry!

The priesthood of Eris is a fine choice for characters. The church is a bizarre conglomeration of sin forgiveness, arcane hierarchy, and constant schisming and reconnecting, all under the holy leadership of the current high priest/ess, who is chosen by Eris herself in the Grand Lottery, held when the previous office holder is killed. Think the Catholic or Orthodox church at its most liturgical, and if the censors were filled with marijuana, rather than incense. The present doctrine holds that any increase in order is an increase in chaos (as anyone who's been to the DMV or tried to do their taxes can confirm), and thus their mission can be fulfilled best by ordering and classifying everything. There have been periods in the church's history where they behaved more like bomb throwing teenaged anarchists, but this is not the current doctrine.

The biggest and most prominent schism from the church are the Alexanderists, who worship Glycon, a magical albino snake with blonde hair. Some detractors claim that their leader just wears a sock puppet on his hand, rather than actually carrying the avatar of his god.

Ryuujin posted:

Speaking of Path of War what is your opinion on the Path of War Expanded stuff that is in playtest?

Kind of want to builder some kind of brawling build using either a Steelfist Warlord, or maybe monk or something jumping through some hoops to get a specific discipline. Or maybe a Harbringer if the playtest stuff is available.

I haven't looked at it extensively, but will by this weekend. If it's of their usual quality, it's probably fine.

Anias posted:

Going to make a scrollmaster wizard. He's retired from the tax and loads association, which handles the annual wheel tax and makes sure the great city remains perfectly aligned to continue it's eternal rotation. They employ a great many men, women, and lyra in the name of progress, and their field agents are the stuff of whispers and heavy drinking. That's behind him now, no more delicate negotiations at quillpoint, no more paperwork or paperwork, no more scrambling between the gears below the city streets one breath from a crushing death in the dark, no more chasing tax evaders with illegal weight to shift into the city. Done now, and that's the end of it. It wasn't the same after the old man retired anyways, and he's been cut loose along with the rest of his department in favor of fresh, more certain to toady, blood. He's taking a bit of time off, flirting with ideas of opening his own practice, training a few apprentices, or even just devoting himself to his scrollwork and finally working out that awkwardness with fire runes.

In short, he's at a crossroads in his life. Here to make merry, and try to leave his past behind, uncertain just what lies in store for him. (It's probably adventure)

What do you want us to do about hp? Pathfinder Society or Orokos?

I dig this background a lot.

For HP, max at first level, then you can go society or roll for the next two, your choice.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 17, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Going to try an idea I've been toying with for a while. He's a self-proclaimed "evil" wizard who is trying to make himself a legend. He's there because he wants to seek out an archnemesis and because his nephew works there and his parents told him to invite his uncle because he's really needs to get out more.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I'm making an eccentric Brawler with a fixation on taking things apart. Mechanically, that's going to be represented as a focus on use of the Sunder maneuver, so before I finish the sheet, I gotta ask:
Can Pummeling Syle be applied to Sunder maneuvers? The forums seem to think so and I certainly enjoy the mental image of Falcon Punching a Gnoll's helmet into a fine metal mist, but I figured I oughta run it by the GM.

Although at level 3, I'd still be lucky to destroy anything sturdier than a decent stick in one go.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Terrorforge posted:

I'm making an eccentric Brawler with a fixation on taking things apart. Mechanically, that's going to be represented as a focus on use of the Sunder maneuver, so before I finish the sheet, I gotta ask:
Can Pummeling Syle be applied to Sunder maneuvers? The forums seem to think so and I certainly enjoy the mental image of Falcon Punching a Gnoll's helmet into a fine metal mist, but I figured I oughta run it by the GM.

Although at level 3, I'd still be lucky to destroy anything sturdier than a decent stick in one go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZeD40Rg8A

Looks kosher to me

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Short story, making a vitalist, a healer of Eris who acts in direct competition with the more normal clerics of jerks like Apollo. The joke's on Eris, of course, since I don't care if she grants me her aid or not (an inversion of the usual "she doesn't care if I worship her or not").
Specifically making a vampiric vitalist who drains enemies' hp, because gently caress yeah.
Larger background to come, mechanics are going to take a while too.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

My 1st attempt at a Pathfinder character, could some one take a quick look at it and see what I hosed up please?https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5lEPjvrFNXNZ0xWQWdZUWJuZlk/view?usp=sharing

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I am very interest in this. Been wanting to make a cleric/ranger with favored enemy undead for a while now, and this might be my chance.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Alright, I got a character, I'm putting his inventory in the post, though. The character creator I use is a pain in the rear end when it comes to gear. Probably gonna mess around with some of the cosmetic details, too.

Tristan Pierrot

Tristan Pierrot is a man of singular talent. His singular talent being the ability to be whoever he wants, whenever he wants. His past is unknown, as is his true appearance. It's even likely that "Tristan Pierrot" is a false name. What's known is that he is a human, around six feet and one-hundred seventy pounds, and he has a burning hatred of authority. Those few he trusts are aware of only slightly greater detail. Pierrot was born poor, and was frequently reminded of that by the wealthy children that liked to drop by the slums to make fun of those less fortunate. For Pierrot, what he does is a form of revenge for that, and countless worse injustices. He poses as wealthy nobles, city officials, guardsmen, and then he proceeds to bilk as much of the upper crust as he can out of whatever he can convince them to part with, which is quite a bit. His fellow denizens of the underworld would likely resent him, if he didn't frequently make large donations to the poor. He still kept plenty for himself, but it seems he hasn't forgotten his roots. The lower classes see him as a sort of folk hero, tricking the evil nobles out of their riches. The nobility, for their part, grudgingly tolerate him. He's proven exceptionally elusive, able to change disguises in mere seconds, and while they do lose money, none of them have ever lost enough to result in financial difficulties, and Pierrot's existence has a placating effect on the poor, giving them a hero to worship, so they're less likely to revolt as wealth inequality worsens. Should Pierrot get caught up in a fight, his first response would be to dive for cover. Following that, he's actually quite resourceful, able to pelt people with just about anything he finds lying around. He taught himself the skill when he realized that it would be highly unusual for him to be seen carrying weapons in most of his guises, and being completely defenseless was a bad position to be in. However, unless he had reason to stay, his goal in any fight would be to flee and disguise himself at the first opportunity.

Inventory: Quick-Change Cloak (currently already stocked with three pre-made disguises*: Emaciated Beggar, Wealthy Noble, and Priest of Lathander**), Hand of the Mage, Traveler's Any-Tool, Sleeves of Any Garments, Masterwork Thieves' Tools, and a Disguise Kit (7 uses left)

Questions

-This is a pretty exclusive and hot spot. How’d you get in?

He's presently posing as a minor noble, no real objectives this time, just enjoying the festivities in luxury.

-What’s your theme song?

"Shut Up", by Madness. Alternately, here's an instrumental, the title theme of "Catch Me if You Can".

-What are your hobbies?

He won't admit it publicly, but he's really come to enjoy making his disguises. Sewing and such.

-What is the function of government in a well organized state?

Making sure the rich and powerful stay that way and making sure the poor don't realize they have the numbers advantage and could take over easily if they wanted to. In a good state, on the other hand, the government ensures that everyone has enough to eat and a roof over their heads, and that nobody dies of preventable illness or other treatable conditions.

-What is best in life?

To con your enemies, see them bowing before you, and to hear the admirations of their women.

*All of which were Take 20'd, with a kit, for a total check of 32.

**Cliff Notes version is Lathander's one of the most benevolent gods possible, so his priests are generally treated well by everyone.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 29, 2015

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It's Final Fantasy-ish: people still use swords and armor, but there is magical electricity for rich people. No one has managed to invent the car, but there are cannons on all the heavy iron walled ships that prowl the circling seas, and trains are beginning to be A Thing, much to the chagrin of the more traditional land animal based shipping companies. Folks carry around small rectangular "Crystals of Knowing When Someone Wants to Talk to You" clipped to their belts, and the well off have "Crystals of Long Speaking" for communicating with other such crystals, and which come in a variety of cases and styles for coordinating with your outfit or personal style. The less well off need to use the public booths (25 cp for 5 minutes), or their clunky, non-portable home sets. Magical golems were granted equal rights years ago, and clockwork prosthetic limbs are, if not commonplace, not something terribly exotic.

Uggggh I love this. I'm looking to a Gunslinger, from an industrial/alchemical city to the west. Most likely a pistolero, and I'm thinking the Gunslingers have a similar flavor to those found in the Dark Tower. Peacekeepers, knights, kind of. I'm thinking he's either here as a bodyguard to a rep from the city or he is part of a small cadre of gunslingers, maybe a trio, who are here to represent the city. His companions, I suspect, will not be making it out of whatever is to come :v:

quote:

Use revolvers, shotguns, and rifles if you want to play a gunslinger, but you won’t find ammo on the shelves for your strange, exotic weapon. You have to make your own from the components readily available from those shops.

Does that mean I don't have to put the money down on the weapon? Can I consider that my battered weapon and take out 300gp from my starting gold to make it masterwork, per the Gunsmithing feat?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Kavingi posted:

Does that mean I don't have to put the money down on the weapon? Can I consider that my battered weapon and take out 300gp from my starting gold to make it masterwork, per the Gunsmithing feat?

Yeah, you'd start with one of the better weapons, can feel free to use your starting money to pay for upgrades, and don't even take the money off to remove the battered property because it wasn't battered in the first place.

That whole "battered weapon" thing was just a load dumped on Gunslingers to keep some "power gamers" to keep them from selling the weapon and starting with way more gold than other PCs, because they'd apparently forgotten about all the traits that up your starting gold by 900. But bear in mind that this precious ancestral weapon is something you'd never consider selling, and would instead upgrade it yourself with various scopes, balancers, metal tempering processes, exotic wood and bone grips, etc. to add magical properties.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Question: I've completed my character sheet with YAPCG, but I don't know how to just post the sheet itself. What do I do?

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Yeah, you'd start with one of the better weapons, can feel free to use your starting money to pay for upgrades, and don't even take the money off to remove the battered property because it wasn't battered in the first place.

That whole "battered weapon" thing was just a load dumped on Gunslingers to keep some "power gamers" to keep them from selling the weapon and starting with way more gold than other PCs, because they'd apparently forgotten about all the traits that up your starting gold by 900. But bear in mind that this precious ancestral weapon is something you'd never consider selling, and would instead upgrade it yourself with various scopes, balancers, metal tempering processes, exotic wood and bone grips, etc. to add magical properties.

Great, thanks for clarifying!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Loving all the ideas I see being tossed back and forth!

ForeverBWFC posted:

My 1st attempt at a Pathfinder character, could some one take a quick look at it and see what I hosed up please?https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5lEPjvrFNXNZ0xWQWdZUWJuZlk/view?usp=sharing

This doesn't look too bad at all. Going for the agile dwarf who can toss his shield wielding self in front of folks theme?

Mr Tastee posted:

Question: I've completed my character sheet with YAPCG, but I don't know how to just post the sheet itself. What do I do?

Will it export as a pdf? You could always stick that on google docs or similar?

This is very neat! My only concern is that there will be not infrequent combat, so you might find yourself hiding out for long periods of time if you're a strictly non-combat character.

Werix posted:

I am very interest in this. Been wanting to make a cleric/ranger with favored enemy undead for a while now, and this might be my chance.

Cool! Yes, there will be undead. Not immediately, but they are planned.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is very neat! My only concern is that there will be not infrequent combat, so you might find yourself hiding out for long periods of time if you're a strictly non-combat character.

Well, technically, all I need is armor and I should be capable of fighting from way in the back. Actually, if the enemies are kept off me, I won't even need the armor. My first major purchase is already lined up as being a mithral chain shirt. It provides good defense, doesn't mess with my skills, and it can be hidden under clothing. Gotta stay inconspicuous.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, technically, all I need is armor and I should be capable of fighting from way in the back. Actually, if the enemies are kept off me, I won't even need the armor. My first major purchase is already lined up as being a mithral chain shirt. It provides good defense, doesn't mess with my skills, and it can be hidden under clothing. Gotta stay inconspicuous.

Oh, very good then!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
EDIT: Ignore me. I'll think of something good.
EDIT2: vvv Although I'll keep this in mind if I can figure out a good backstory!

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 19, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Classtoise posted:

How "tongue in cheek" could a character be?

Would a Warforged Sorcery whose coloration changes with each spell be alright? Or is it a bit too "It's totally loving Mega Man" for a serious story and might detract from an ACTUAL campaign?

Obviously it's not gonna be references out the rear end. But yeah I could totally make a blue, (relatively) small humanoid Warforged created by a Cleric of Pelor (Yes. A Doctor of the Light) if it would be well-received.

If that's basically signing my character to the "Don't pick this rear end in a top hat" department, I'll make something a bit less oddball and a bit more Pathfinder.

My high school self would have been all over this, so go for it. I think it's kinda neat, especially with the right back story.

The tone of these notes is really all over the place, with attempts at Discworldian social commentary and scrabblings at philosophy and religion I didn't quite fully understand back when I was young, more anime references than I care to admit, and some weird bits I've had to puzzle out of my memory (Roland the Mighty, the divine champion wrestler who was also the author of many treatises on science, is definitely my high school biology teacher, who used to literally wrestle kids for falling asleep in class, for example). I'm cleaning up a lot of it for actual play, certainly.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

My high school self would have been all over this, so go for it. I think it's kinda neat, especially with the right back story.

The tone of these notes is really all over the place, with attempts at Discworldian social commentary and scrabblings at philosophy and religion I didn't quite fully understand back when I was young, more anime references than I care to admit, and some weird bits I've had to puzzle out of my memory (Roland the Mighty, the divine champion wrestler who was also the author of many treatises on science, is definitely my high school biology teacher, who used to literally wrestle kids for falling asleep in class, for example). I'm cleaning up a lot of it for actual play, certainly.

This is going to be the best game of Pathfinder, or anything else, ever. Now I'm sort of hoping to see a pair of players make a Warforged with a camouflaged compartment and a gnome wizard with Enlarge Person. Get some anime robots up in this.

Hm, if someone's up for making the gnome wizard, I might change my app...

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I'm already making a small wizard of some kind, just working out the details. I am definitely doing the scrollmaster thing though.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Carl Smith Magnus the Malevolent

Carl Smith admired the villains in fairy tales growing up. Even though they often lost, they were charismatic figures who's wicked ways would lead them to fame and fortune. So he spent his often-bullied childhood training to become an evil wizard himself. Deciding "Carl Smith" would not be an impressive wizard name, he decided to come up with his own title: "Magnus the Malevolent".
Though Magnus managed to get himself an old swampside tower on a discount, and became a half-decent conjurer, he hasn't quite become the legendary figure he hoped to be. He dreams of gaining more minions, an archnemesis, and actually committing a deed more evil than spoiling someone's day. Maybe this party will be a way in...

-This is a pretty exclusive and hot spot. How’d you get in? Magnus' nephew, Ronnie, happens to work there, and Ronnie's parents told him to invite Magnus since his poor uncle really needs to get out more.
-What’s your theme song? Toxic Love. The lyrics are irrelevant, it's just sufficiently evil-sounding.
-What are your hobbies? Magnus enjoys cackling, pretending to be evil, knitting, and playing board games with his familiar, a toad named Bartleby.
-What is the function of government in a well organized state? A well-organized state would probably not be run by him, so probably helping out the poor and sending heroes to be defeated by him.
-What is best in life? A nice cup of tea by the fireplace on a rainy day. Er, being evil. Yeah. Being evil.

(Let me know if I got anything wrong.)

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Can I play a frog man?
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/mogogol

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So gearforged are weird.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/kobold-press/gearforged

It seems to have its' own traits AND it takes traits from their "past" life?

It doesn't seem very well thought out. I'll go ahead and build it as it says (even though it adds rules to the Construct trait that aren't there naturally?) and build him as a Gearforged ex-Aasimar. And assume I get the racial features from both since it's kind of sparse for JUST Gearforged.

Otherwise I can just fluff an Aasimar or somethin'.

(not gonna lie it's gonna be super hard not to get the best spell in the game.)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

quote:

Echoes of Former Flesh

Your soul-link to your gearforged chassis is so strong it allows you to interact with magics and effects or take feats as if you were still a member of your original race.

Prerequisite(s): Gearforged

Benefit(s): You retain the racial traits of a human along with your gearforged traits.

Looks like they don't normally get the base race's traits?

I think I saw some mention of gearforged as a good choice for Harbringer, though maybe that was something else forged?

I think I will build and post a Harbringer, for now, and then when it is decided whether or not Harbringer is okay I might build something else using Broken Blade stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG6HwyqLI-A

Classtoise posted:

So gearforged are weird.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/kobold-press/gearforged

It seems to have its' own traits AND it takes traits from their "past" life?

It doesn't seem very well thought out. I'll go ahead and build it as it says (even though it adds rules to the Construct trait that aren't there naturally?) and build him as a Gearforged ex-Aasimar. And assume I get the racial features from both since it's kind of sparse for JUST Gearforged.

Otherwise I can just fluff an Aasimar or somethin'.

(not gonna lie it's gonna be super hard not to get the best spell in the game.)

That is kinda weird and ill thought out. I'd bet either they think the construct trait is much more powerful than it actually ends up being in play, or like you said, they wanted it to be a template you add over another race.

I'd use the Warforged for golems, but with +2 Con, (+2 Str or Int), -2 Wis for the racial mods, unless you want to just refluff an Aasimar instead.

Y'all are really determined to make this the hardest possible "choose only 5" ever for me, aren't y'all? :shobon:

Is that a seriously a Gargamel cosplay? I love it.

Ryuujin posted:

Looks like they don't normally get the base race's traits?

I think I saw some mention of gearforged as a good choice for Harbringer, though maybe that was something else forged?

I think I will build and post a Harbringer, for now, and then when it is decided whether or not Harbringer is okay I might build something else using Broken Blade stuff.

Harbinger looks good to me, if that's what you want to do.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 20, 2015

• Locked thread