Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how valuable my contribution'll be to the conversation, but I'll take a stab at it:

What I would consider a storygame-ish approach to play would be letting go of the idea that the RPG is actually some sort of window into an alternate world with the GM as the conduit, and instead embracing whatever produces a more interesting series of events.

Like, it doesn't matter what the locked door is made of or what brand padlock was used on it, it's going to be locked or it's going to need special effort to bust down because it's the one door that's standing in the way of the party at a critical moment. Never mind how many doors were already effortlessly bypassed before, this one specific door is a problem for the same reason that it's always the last engine that gives Dennis Quaid a problem in Flight of the Phoenix. It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be dramatic.

I don't think that the above necessitates collaborative worldbuilding either - it's possible to have a "traditional", GM-is-completely-in-the-lead game if the GM is still using story beats and plot armor and plot conceits (cliches?) anyway. The fact that we're also encouraged to let players "fill in the blanks" is a happy coincidence and a best practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's like how Koyanisqaatsi and Transformers: Age of Extinction are both movies.

Yeah but what is the Citizen Kane of RPGs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The variation of Jurassic World I have in my head would be instead of vacationers, you (all start off as) bored, disaffected teenagers working the booths in the park as summer jobs when it all falls down.

• Locked thread