Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Effectronica posted:

It's where I hash out my manifesto before I send it to Wizards of the Coast with a note demanding they publish it or I blow up all of Dungeons and Dragons.

Wish you blew up this thread instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Oh cool, I 'm still hoping to get an answer to that question.

So to continue my trend of saying stupid things that invite ridicule in a pathetic attempt to engage with other human beings over the internet; it sounds like one of the play styles being described is somewhat analogous to the procedurally generated content in some computer games, with initial content and starting conditions determined, somehow, and then continuing in an open ended dialectical manner in response to player interaction with those starting conditions.

During play and afterwards a narrative is created by the participants as they process the series of events that've occurred, and their attachment/investment in this narrative influences their actions independent of game mechanics in a continuing game. This creation of story occurs even though nothing in the game mechanics directly interfaces with it on the level of "story". Is that somewhat close?

I'm not drawing the comparison to computer games in a derogatory manner - one of my favorite parts of Civ V is creating a narrative that explains why my civ will stop at nothing to drive the fascists into the sea, even if following that narrative doesn't have anything to do with the mechanics or victory conditions. Often in D&D or similar games the desire to advance a character mechanically by leveling, etc, rapidly fades to second place next to a concern with what they're going to do to influence the game world.

On the subject of why doors are locked, I’d rather the door be locked or unlocked for a reason internally congruent with the setting/narrative rather than because it’s dramatic. The best reason I can put forth for this is that it feels like a game where things always tend toward the most dramatic/interesting option is boring after a while, because there isn’t room for surprise, lateral thinking or having a quiet boring moment to contrast the exciting things. If everything is always interesting all the time (either because it is or those are the only moments you focus on) than it gets repetitious through overexposure.

And I get that 99% of the time a locked door is either picked, knocked or bashed down, but some of my favorite gaming moments have been when players creatively got around a locked door by doing something I didn’t expect and I love those kinds of surprises. I find them easier to come by when players are reacting to the constraints imposed by a more simulationist rules set.

are you for real

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

I am the only person making jokes. Everyone else is deadly serious.

i'm seriously laughing at it, does that count

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

I didn't realize you'd posted, but you are exempted from the "giant idiot moron" category.

:lol: you quoted me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mormon Star Wars posted:

At RPGNet, a well-meaning (but ignorant) man started a thread about a not-RPG, a storygame, by the name of Fiasco. This is not a proper tabletop RPG. This is a product that takes the process of writing a movie by committee and formalizes it into a playable cooperative tabletop game. My other post today, which summarizes what a proper tabletop RPG is, is from this same thread. The man was wrong. I corrected the man, and I included that I appreciated Fiasco for what it truly is. (If a formalized writing committee exercise is what you want, then that is a good game for the job.)

After one moderator--typical of the moral cowardice of the clique--decided to chide me for "edition warring", one of the Tradgames Chat Thread clique (ProfessorCirno) attempted to bait me as I describe above, saying: "So you're telling a story in real time as opposed to telling a story in real time in a different way?" (This is a fraudulent question; TRPGs don't tell stories.)

I declined his invitation, and I exposed him for what he is and what he attempted do so, saying: "You are a known Anime fan, and a frequent poster in the grognards.txt thread. You are not an honest or honorable actor, and your engagement is nothing more than a bait for more posts in that thread. Take your morsel and go."

What I said is true. The truth is an absolute defense. Therefore is it a criminal act of fraud to sanction me under the "personal attack" clause and ban my account for two weeks. The moderator in question-- P aul Ettin--committed an act of moral cowardice and paternalistic hubris; the excuse is the same, always the same- a fraudulent peace, regardless of sacrifice, is better than an honorable war. Appeasers, quislings, quonsters- sellouts. RPGNet chooses peace over both truth and justice, just like school districts all over the United States, and unlike my experiences of this sort that were commonplace throughout my childhood I know now how to show how wrong these petty despots are in their actions and I have no qualms in doing so if I'm pushed.

source you're quotes

• Locked thread