Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this the beginning of the end of football as we know it?
This poll is closed.
Within the next decade 38 22.35%
Within the next five years 12 7.06%
No, and you're an idiot for thinking so 71 41.76%
Borland himself will return to the sport within two years 49 28.82%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

The dudes are the very very tippy top do, but they're very much the exception. Really big fights still sell like crazy but there's only a tiny handful of people who can do that.

Floyd Mayweather makes a shitload of money. The average middling dude is probably not doing especially well, especially relative to the damage he's doing to himself.

Oh really? That doesn't surprise. Still funny that the purse for this upcoming fight is $200 million, so Pacquiao could get paid like $80 million for a days work losing a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MourningView posted:

The dudes are the very very tippy top do, but they're very much the exception. Really big fights still sell like crazy but there's only a tiny handful of people who can do that.

Floyd Mayweather makes a shitload of money. The average middling dude is probably not doing especially well, especially relative to the damage he's doing to himself. For whatever reason you seem to think that Mayweather is the norm.

Yeah the average middling dude makes probably between 10-20k a fight plus whatever purse he might get for winning and has to pay for his camp and any necessary medical care out of his own pocket

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also worth mentioning is that boxing was the one major sport to resist massive unification in the middle of the century. There are at any given moment as many as four or five world champs in every weight class. It's hard for the sport to gain massive attention when it's a confusing mess of small organizations doing whatever they want.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Patrick retiring comes as a shock in an already awful off-season, but hey, we have this Chris Borland we just drafted who can step into the role full-time and anchor the LB core for a deca....

poo poo.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hey you guys remember that Raiders linebacker who is still feeling concussion symptoms like a year after the concussion? Yeah that poo poo is terrifying

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Oh really? That doesn't surprise. Still funny that the purse for this upcoming fight is $200 million, so Pacquiao could get paid like $80 million for a days work losing a fight.

The purse is 250 million dollars which is more than the UFC has paid salaries in its entire history.But after this fight there is nothing in store for boxing.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also worth mentioning is that boxing was the one major sport to resist massive unification in the middle of the century. There are at any given moment as many as four or five world champs in every weight class. It's hard for the sport to gain massive attention when it's a confusing mess of small organizations doing whatever they want.

Somehow I managed to attend an european championship without even realizing.The italian fighter lost and couldn't hear but I have never seen a more furious movement of hands.

GNU Order posted:

Hey you guys remember that Raiders linebacker who is still feeling concussion symptoms like a year after the concussion? Yeah that poo poo is terrifying

Nick Roach :smith:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GNU Order posted:

Nick Roach. I loving hate it.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
It's the absolute last hurrah of boxing, it's like if the NFL had the Browns and Lions play in the Super Bowl for a billion zillion dollars

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

GNU Order posted:

I was in a motorcycle wreck that gave me a pretty significant concussion. I bet me hitting that SUV at 25 or so is more force than most football hits, but goddamn if the symptoms didn't last for months on end. Dizzy spells, headaches, light sensitivity, the whole shebang, for about three months.

I wasn't even able to hop out of a chair with any stability or confidence for that amount of time and I remember thinking, "Jesus, how do guys in football come back to play in a week or two? I'm so hosed up months later."

Edit: I guess I should say that this is relevant because it really made me wonder if the NFL's concussion protocols are up to snuff. It could be that mine was just particularly bad, but whenever I see a guy come back from a concussion within a week or two I wonder if he's just hiding symptoms.

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 17, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chris Pronger's NHL career was ended because of them a couple years ago and he's been fighting depression and blindness in one eye since then. It's some really sad stuff to read.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DJExile posted:

Chris Pronger's NHL career was ended because of them a couple years ago and he's been fighting depression and blindness in one eye since then. It's some really sad stuff to read.

Scott Parker is like this, and listening to him talk is super :wtc:. He basically drools and screams "put me in, coach! i can still fight!"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's the absolute last hurrah of boxing, it's like if the NFL had the Browns and Lions play in the Super Bowl for a billion zillion dollars

Maybe the last super mainstream thing for awhile if they can't find another guy who can talk and play a character like Mayweather, but they can still draw good audiences here and there. Especially good Hispanic fighters.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DJExile posted:

There's no appropriate way to say this, but I can't think of another guy who tried to seriously injure as many guys as Chris Pronger over the course of his NHL career. And not like injuring while doing something relative to the play, I mean going out of his way to cheapshot guys.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

Maybe the last super mainstream thing for awhile if they can't find another guy who can talk and play a character like Mayweather, but they can still draw good audiences here and there. Especially good Hispanic fighters.

Pacquiao always entertained me more than Mayweather as a casual fan. Like I don't want to hear him talk or anything and he's not as marketable, but goddamn he is magic to watch.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

AhhYes posted:

I wasn't even able to hop out of a chair with any stability or confidence for that amount of time and I remember thinking, "Jesus, how do guys in football come back to play in a week or two? I'm so hosed up months later."

If you're Ben Roethlisberger you do both

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

AsInHowe posted:

There's no appropriate way to say this, but I can't think of another guy who tried to seriously injure as many guys as Chris Pronger over the course of his NHL career. And not like injuring while doing something relative to the play, I mean going out of his way to cheapshot guys.

Intentionally stomping on a bro's leg with your skate is little beyond cheapshot, he should've been charged with assault for that.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

MourningView posted:

Yeah I certainly don't mean that boxing will absolutely cease to exist, and it will always be around to some degree but the days of boxing captivating a nation are pretty much well and buried after this one.

Also I don't know if I would say it's captivating a nation but it sounded good so whatevs

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Keep in mind we also have a relatively America-centric perspective

Boxing in Mexico is still a major sporting event down there. Maybe its because I lived in Julio Caesar Chavez's hometown but it felt like fights were being advertised constantly.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

DJExile posted:

I thought Chris Pronger was a piece of poo poo his entire career but that is terrible to hear.

Head injuries suck. Boxing sucks. MMA is worse. Tapout wearing bros are the worst. Thank you for your time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Yeah I certainly don't mean that boxing will absolutely cease to exist, and it will always be around to some degree but the days of boxing captivating a nation are pretty much well and buried after this one.

Also I don't know if I would say it's captivating a nation but it sounded good so whatevs

It's a pretty big deal.

And I dunno. Short term probably, but there will always be someone who comes around and catches fire. People thought it was dead after Tyson went off the rails, but then De La Hoya and later Mayweather came around and started putting up big PPV numbers. I'm sure someone will do that again eventually. Especially if it's a big Latin American fighter, because it's still a relatively big deal in the Hispanic community. Around here there's still a lot of buzz for big fights, and I imagine it's like that other places where that represents a sizeable portion of the population.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
MMA (well at least the UFC) is really, really good about concussions. It's bizarre that something that gets called a bloodsport is better with head trauma than the national pastime in America. Well, actually it's not bizarre if you think about everything we know about the NFL but it's pretty hosed

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I was sitting here trying to come up with one actual thing the NFL has done that's been good for head trauma. Like one thing that they actually successfully carried through on.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Keep in mind we also have a relatively America-centric perspective

Boxing in Mexico is still a major sporting event down there. Maybe its because I lived in Julio Caesar Chavez's hometown but it felt like fights were being advertised constantly.

Well we're also discussing whether this will hurt the relevance of football which is also America-centric since no one else in the world really cares to begin with

Detroit_Dogg posted:

MMA (well at least the UFC) is really, really good about concussions. It's bizarre that something that gets called a bloodsport is better with head trauma than the national pastime in America. Well, actually it's not bizarre if you think about everything we know about the NFL but it's pretty hosed

UFC is pretty scummy but at least they ban guys for life if they try to hit a dude after the round/fight is over or if they try to rip a guy's knee apart after he tapped out

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I was sitting here trying to come up with one actual thing the NFL has done that's been good for head trauma. Like one thing that they actually successfully carried through on.

Moved kickoffs forward 10 yards :haw:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
All the concussions Eric Lindros had lead to redesigning hockey helmets to try and help prevent concussions but also ended his career early. Expecting a kid and my wife and I are already discussing the sports we will let them play, be it boy or girl. Tackle football before high school is already a no.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
^^ Yeah, I read a study somewhere that between the ages of 10-12 the brain is in a super fragile state and any trauma large or small could have life lasting consequences. My kid is playing lacrosse this year, which isn't much better, but it's a different kind of contact so I am happy. Also, congrats!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I mentioned it earlier, but I just don't know what they can do in regulating a sport that centers around running into someone as hard as you can while he is doing the same? I know there was the "bring back leather helmets" argument but someone would literally die on the field.

I know it's easy for us to sit back and say well don't lead with yer head dummy, but I just don't know what could be done that would actually have an impact.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 17, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

Tackle football before high school is already a no.

It probably shouldn't be a thing tbqh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lacrosse has done a much better job lately at penalizing anything even resembling head contact, and I give the UFC credit for most referees seeming to err on the side of ending fights too soon. A guy getting dropped by a solid punch ending the match still isn't the safest thing, but it sure as hell beats guys getting knocked down and attempting to answer standing 10 counts only to get drilled again. E: Hockey has specific head contact penalties now as well.

Shame too because I honestly like boxing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
on the other hand, you still get a lot of this, which i imagine is just magic for your brain.

refs can only jump in so fast.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Most guys would take the walkoff KO when the opponent is clearly out like that. Is that Rampage?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

Most guys would take the walkoff KO when the opponent is clearly out like that. Is that Rampage?

Yes. I still see it fairly often. Guys get in the zone and get in 2-3 punches on an unconscious dude before loving off. It's usually not such blatant "arms spread out and dead to the world" like that, because the fight is clearly over at that point, but it happens.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rampage is being a poo poo there because he delivers two extra punches as the ref is pulling on him, but the ref should have put himself on top of the unconscious fighter to separate them instead of those half assed pulls

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

When I saw this I knew he didn't have a bright future in the league. Abysmal tackling form. The league should really encourage proper tackling whether its through penalties or something who knows. The "hawk tackle" rugby style technique Seattle has been teaching has worked wonders for our players.

Borland was also pretty undersized and would have probably had to eventually use steroids to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle. Then again Mark Simoneau somehow eked out a 10 year career so who knows.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Intruder posted:

Please try to be respectful, this isn't the "troll 49ers fans" thread

Your only warning

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Intruder posted:

Your only warning

Is this directed at me? If so I don't think that is "trolling 49ers fans" at all.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Your "Who, me?" act is also tired

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Ok well what exactly are you taking issue with? I remember posting about that tackle at the time it happened and saying the same thing, and I think players should be encouraged to tackle properly with a rugby style technique. I thought he was a good player and generally root for undersized linebackers like him to succeed.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What you posted has no relevance to the topic of this thread, that Borland is retiring because of the danger of head trauma issues. Instead, you posted a gif showing Lynch bulldozing through him and wrote a mini diatribe about how he wasn't cut out for this league anyway, clearly designed to provoke a 49ers fan reaction. When called on it, you gave the classic "Who, me?" response trolls love to give. You know what you're doing, you don't really need me to explain this to you, and you should probably not post in this thread anymore

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

African AIDS cum posted:

When I saw this I knew he didn't have a bright future in the league. Abysmal tackling form. The league should really encourage proper tackling whether its through penalties or something who knows. The "hawk tackle" rugby style technique Seattle has been teaching has worked wonders for our players.

As a UK based NFL fan, the horrendous standard of tackling in the NFL compared to rugby has always puzzled me.

Edit: Not singling Borland out, just a general observation. And I know that rugby does have it's concussion issues (though it is also working through those at the moment - a couple of weeks ago England's star player Mike Brown voluntarily held himself out of a game against Ireland because of a concussion he sustained the previous week against Italy), but I can't help but think that the 'big hit' culture for want of a better phrase only exasperates the concussion issue in the NFL.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Controversial opinion: concussions are bad. Discuss.

• Locked thread