Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this the beginning of the end of football as we know it?
This poll is closed.
Within the next decade 38 22.35%
Within the next five years 12 7.06%
No, and you're an idiot for thinking so 71 41.76%
Borland himself will return to the sport within two years 49 28.82%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Spoeank posted:

:siren: WARNING: THE FOLLOWING TAKE IS SO HOT YOU SHOULD LOOK AT IT THROUGH A SHOEBOX LIKE AN ECLIPSE :siren:

I wonder how many of those people implying/calling Borland a pussy have actually played sports at a level beyond their lovely suburban high schools/beer leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Please think about how dumb and unfounded this statement is, and edit your post accordingly

the dude gets hit in the loving head for a living. Like as in punched. By strong dudes that train specifically to wreck other dude's brains. Boxing is basically all about who can concuss who the most.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Please think about how dumb and unfounded this statement is, and edit your post accordingly

Not every concussion knocks you out. I used to be a boxer. I started young, I've been around the gym for the majority of my life. I love boxing but its a quick ticket brain damage. No matter how good you are you are going to get hit in the head multiple times a fight both by you're opponent, and by your own gloves when you attempt to catch shots coming in. Boxing gloves are much harder to slip than MMA gloves, or bare knuckles.

I've personally known a lot of guys who were never knocked down in the ring who've had brain scans, and pretty much every single guy who had spent any significant time in the ring was told they'd suffered multiple concussions usually without even realizing it, myself included. Now imagine what a fighter on the level of Floyd Mayweather goes through. Not only is he sparring pretty much every day leading up to a big fight, but he is doing it against other pros who are also some of the best boxers in the world. Doesn't matter how good Floyd is I guarantee he is getting caught, and concussed.

Go look up boxers who've died in the ring. A good majority are walking into the fight in which they died with significant brain damage from sparring. Almost all the others are guys who were allowed to continue fighting after getting standing eights, or getting up off the canvas. Some of the guys who have died were never Ko'ed in the ring they walked out on their own only to die later due to swelling or hemorrhage.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't know how many times I have to post it, but I will bold it to emphasize for all those that don't know:

Concussions are not the main risk factor for CTE*. It is currently thought that repeated sub-concussive blows (i.e. hits that are hard, but do not cause a diagnosable concussion) are more responsible for CTE than straight up concussive hits.

*= This is still a young field of neurology, that claim is only of the current thinking. It can change in the next year or less.

So, concussions shouldn't be taken into account to the extent the public and media does. Repeated blows to the head of almost any variety should be. For some reason we are only focusing on the worst of the worst when its the standard line play that is more culpable than huge hits for things like CTE.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

swickles posted:

I don't know how many times I have to post it, but I will bold it to emphasize for all those that don't know:

Concussions are not the main risk factor for CTE*. It is currently thought that repeated sub-concussive blows (i.e. hits that are hard, but do not cause a diagnosable concussion) are more responsible for CTE than straight up concussive hits.

*= This is still a young field of neurology, that claim is only of the current thinking. It can change in the next year or less.

So, concussions shouldn't be taken into account to the extent the public and media does. Repeated blows to the head of almost any variety should be. For some reason we are only focusing on the worst of the worst when its the standard line play that is more culpable than huge hits for things like CTE.

Holy poo poo this. Basically your brain is jello more-or-less floating about. Hits to the head, even if they do not produce obvious symptoms of concussions, still rattle your brain causing it to run into the skull or twist on its axis.

Getting whacked in the head be it from a fall, a fist or a helmet is a Bad Thing for the think meat; how bad and how much it takes to achieve badness is still unknown. As an anecdote, going to Canton for the NFL HoF enshrinement was one of the most depressing things I have ever done.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 18, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My worry is that the majority of damage is already done long before you ever hit the NFL.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

go3 posted:

My worry is that the majority of damage is already done long before you ever hit the NFL.

Its a good point

He may already be symptomatic

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
On topic:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/i-wanted-to-be-able-to-function-why-sidney-rice-quit-the-nfl/

quote:

Months after the Seattle Seahawks won the 2014 Super Bowl Championship, Sidney Rice made a surprise announcement, at the age of 27, that he was walking away from the game after seven years in the NFL.

Rice is now speaking openly about the health concerns that led him to retire. In an interview with CBS News, Rice said he had experienced several concussions and would sometimes black out after particularly bad hits. As he spent the off season making his decision, Rice said he was particularly struck by the stories of former NFL players Tony Dorsett and Herschel Walker.

"You have these guys that have been going to the same house for 25 years. And all of the sudden they get to a certain point on their way home and they have to call their wives to get the directions home. So that is something that really hit home for me after having experienced so many concussions," said Rice.

(rest at link)

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/18/chris-borland-scott-fujita-nfl/

quote:

Fujita, now living in California, said he greatly admired what Borland did. He said he almost quit at age 30, after his eighth season in the league, after he played for the Super Bowl-winning Saints in 2009, because he’d sustained a concussion in the Super Bowl win over Indianapolis and thought he should walk away.

“But I chickened out,” Fujita said. “A week or so before free agency began [in 2010], everything cleared up, I felt good, and I realized I still wanted to play.”

And there was the matter of a three-year, $14-million contract with Cleveland ($8 million guaranteed) to consider. Fujita played. Well, sort of. He finished each of his three seasons in Cleveland injured, and never had a year there befitting his talent. As Fujita said: “I limped to the finish line of my career.”

(rest at link)

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

I have no doubt that he has suffered multiple concussions, same with any other boxer. There is, however, quite a difference between multiple concussions and "hundreds of concussions" as you originally claimed. I think you may be underestimating how serious a concussion is if you truly believe that he--or anyone else for that matter--has suffered 200-300+ concussions

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I have no doubt that he has suffered multiple concussions, same with any other boxer. There is, however, quite a difference between multiple concussions and "hundreds of concussions" as you originally claimed. I think you may be underestimating how serious a concussion is if you truly believe that he--or anyone else for that matter--has suffered 200-300+ concussions

You do realize there are varying levels of severity for concussions right? It's possible someone that has had a couple hundred minor concussion shows the same symptoms of someone that had one large concussion.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shath Hole posted:

You do realize there are varying levels of severity for concussions right? It's possible someone that has had a couple hundred minor concussion shows the same symptoms of someone that had one large concussion.

swickles is about to get very angry

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

it was a hyperbole(or at least i think it is)

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Intruder posted:

swickles is about to get very angry

He is right though, I'm agreeing with him. It is the repeated blows like he said, I was just pointing out that you can't always go off of the number because everyone and every event is different.

e:

Also wasn't really referring to CTE, where he is also very correct.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlbI9XRpbKI

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I meant the whole "one large concussion" thing since he keeps pointing out that the big concussions are not what leads to CTE

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Intruder posted:

I meant the whole "one large concussion" thing since he keeps pointing out that the big concussions are not what leads to CTE

Yeah, I was more referring to the seriousness regarding the amount of concussions that NIN was talking about and not how that correlates to CTE (or not).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Wasn't the horrifying quote about CTE likening it to repeatedly tapping your thumb against a ripe apple? Where the apple is your brain?

That always stuck with me that it wasn't the concussions but the sub-concussive hits that did it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Did anyone watch the interview that Borland did with Outside the Lines? He is very candid about it being a personal decision and basically says that what is important is that players can make an informed decision based on facts.

He also mentioned that none of the information he researched and read was provided by the NFL or the Players Union, which is not surprising.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

MrSargent posted:

Did anyone watch the interview that Borland did with Outside the Lines? He is very candid about it being a personal decision and basically says that what is important is that players can make an informed decision based on facts.

He also mentioned that none of the information he researched and read was provided by the NFL or the Players Union, which is not surprising.

Yep.

This is a really good and scary read for anyone that has a few minutes and touches on just that. Borland spent A LOT of time doing his own research on the matter.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12501655/how-san-francisco-49ers-chris-borland-made-decision-retire-safety-concerns

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm just happy a player did their own research about their health for once and didn't end up wearing magnetized wristbands, using deer antler spray or drinking their own urine.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Football is safe, everyone go home.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

quote:

Rice said he was particularly struck by the stories of former NFL players Tony Dorsett and Herschel Walker.

Herschel is the worst possible example though since he fought MMA into his 40s, even if it was against garbage.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh weird, a dude on the committee that denied and actively suppressed research on it for the NFL doesn't think it's a serious deal.

This guy's best moment was when he claimed a former Steeler probably got all that brain damage he had from getting in fights after his playing days.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

quote:

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a "rare phenomena" and youth football is safer than riding a bike or skateboard, a Pittsburgh Steelers neurosurgeon and NFL medical consultant

lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, he's most notable as the guy who tried to explain away Terry Long's life falling apart / suicide by drinking anti-freeze from excessive brain damage as probably from fights he got into.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Intruder posted:

It's not that big one time head trauma doesn't lead to CTE. It's just less of a concern compared to the constant hits play after play. Plenty of guys who got ragdolled against a wall once in the army who have some serious degenerative conditions. Probably the road Nick Roach is headed down. :smith:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
He's also avoided Mike Webster's awful brain problems at every moment. There was one a couple years back where someone asked about him and he said something like "it could have been any sort of problem that caused that" (in reference to him having to taser himself to sleep)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I appreciate the first dude being like "a guy retiring early after realizing how dangerous this job is shows how safe the job is"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/why-i-play-football/

John Urschel, Ravens guard posted:

I envy Chris Borland.

My first encounter with Chris was in the fall of 2011, when Penn State faced Wisconsin in what was both of our sophomore seasons. I recall thinking that he was the best linebacker I had ever faced, and throughout my entire collegiate career this held true. Chris was a tough, instinctive, downhill linebacker with great leverage who was never afraid of contact.

These past few days, I've heard many opinions on Chris and his decision to retire from the NFL at the age of 24 due to concerns about long-term brain injury. These opinions range from songs of praise calling Chris one of few football players with any sense, to words of derision describing him as soft.

The latter couldn’t be farther from the truth. Chris was one of the toughest football players I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing against.

Naturally, I believe that I have a certain insight into this dilemma, due to my non-athletic pursuits. In particular, I have a Bachelor’s and Master’s in mathematics, all with a 4.0, and numerous published papers in major mathematical journals. I am a mathematical researcher in my spare time, continuing to do research in the areas of numerical linear algebra, multigrid methods, spectral graph theory and machine learning. I’m also an avid chess player, and I have aspirations of eventually being a titled player one day.

With all of these interests outside of the sport, I am often asked why I play football, how I feel about brain injury, and if that’s something I think about. This question has come up in NFL combine interviews, media interviews, and even in casual conversation with fans or fellow mathematicians. It can range from the very tame “You have such a bright future; aren’t you afraid of hurting your brain?” to the much more direct “You’re a fool for playing football, where are your parents?” I can assure you, I have received both ends of the spectrum and everything in between.

It’s not rude to ask. It’s not some taboo topic that offends. It is a simple truth. Playing a hitting position in the NFL can’t possibly help your long-term mental health. However, it’s also true that how bad such a pursuit is for you is something that, I believe, no one really knows for sure right now.

With that said, why take the risk?

Objectively, I shouldn’t. I have a bright career ahead of me in mathematics. Beyond that, I have the means to make a good living and provide for my family, without playing football. I have no desire to try to accumulate $10 million in the bank; I already have more money in my bank account than I know what to do with. I drive a used hatchback Nissan Versa and live on less than $25k a year. It’s not because I’m frugal or trying to save for some big purchase, it’s because the things I love the most in this world (reading math, doing research, playing chess) are very, very inexpensive.

My mother was always supportive of whatever endeavors I wanted to pursue. But this is not the life she wanted for me. I can remember all the way back to when I started playing football in high school. At the end of every season my mother would tell me that I’ve played enough football, that it was okay for me to call it quits. She would tell me that I have such bright things on the horizon, that I don’t need to play. This past fall I finished my 10th season of football, and, as usual, this offseason I had this conversation with my mother for the 10th time.

What my mother and a great majority of my friends, family, and fellow mathematicians don’t understand is that I’m not playing for the money. I’m not playing for some social status associated with being an elite athlete. No, the media has not brainwashed me into thinking this is what real men do.

I play because I love the game. I love hitting people. There’s a rush you get when you go out on the field, lay everything on the line and physically dominate the player across from you. This is a feeling I’m (for lack of a better word) addicted to, and I’m hard-pressed to find anywhere else. My teammates, friends and family can attest to this: When I go too long without physical contact I’m not a pleasant person to be around. This is why, every offseason, I train in kickboxing and wrestling in addition to my lifting, running and position-specific drill work. I’ve fallen in love with the sport of football and the physical contact associated with it.

Simply put, right now, not playing football isn’t an option for me. And for that reason, I truly envy Chris Borland.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's a fantastic read.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

DJExile posted:

That's a fantastic read.

Agreed. It is great to get the perspective of a very intelligent person who has also considered the risks, and decided to continue to play the game. Thanks for sharing.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
People are working on new helmet designs for safety right? Obviously the way people tackle/get tackled plays a massive role but I'd have to imagine safer helmets would be a step in the right direction.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Okay maybe I was wrong and Derek Jeter's site is actually gonna be Real Good because I don't think we'd see an article with great nuance like that on ESPN.

Crunkjuice posted:

People are working on new helmet designs for safety right? Obviously the way people tackle/get tackled plays a massive role but I'd have to imagine safer helmets would be a step in the right direction.

There's only so much you can do because the issue isn't so much your head getting hit but your brain careening into your skull after you stop moving. You can't stop physics. The only way to really fix it is to ban all contact above the head but that still leaves your head hitting the ground when you get tackled, accidental contact, etc.

I think if the NFL was actually serious about it they'd have ejections and multiple game suspensions for any helmet-to-helmet hit accidental or not. I mean poo poo, the UFC bans people for life for hitting someone after the fight has stopped. Imagine if the NFL banned someone like James Harrison for life for a helmet-to-helmet hit. People would cry bloody murder but it'd be the right thing to do.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 19, 2015

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Crunkjuice posted:

As already stated, there is not much you can do to stop force being imparted on the brain. I would add that brain trauma can come not just from direct hits from the head: any tackle or hard hit has the potential to snap the neck rapidly in a direction causing the brain to hit the skull.

What is being worked on are measurement devices that quantify how much impact the head has sustained. If you are interested:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/#138267

Though certainly not a "solution" or even validated as accurately measuring brain injury, I do like the idea of creating ironclad rules using some quantifiable metric i.e. if the concussion-o-meter says a player is concussed, they are out of the game, no arguments. Build a car alarm into the thing if need be.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

They could make football safer by getting rid of helmets, and switching to soft pads. It would pretty much force guys to go for wrap up tackles. It might lead to an increase in things like broken ribs and collarbones but it would for sure cut down on head injuries.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Smiling Mandrill posted:

They could make football safer by getting rid of helmets, and switching to soft pads. It would pretty much force guys to go for wrap up tackles. It might lead to an increase in things like broken ribs and collarbones but it would for sure cut down on head injuries.

Anything that even superficially seems like it's putting players in danger will never make it past the NFL's PR staff

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kalli posted:

Oh weird, a dude on the committee that denied and actively suppressed research on it for the NFL doesn't think it's a serious deal.

This guy's best moment was when he claimed a former Steeler probably got all that brain damage he had from getting in fights after his playing days.
The fact that he's probably the most well known doctor in Pittsburgh which has a reputation on being the cutting edge of health science pisses me off almost as bad as seeing some soulless, ethicless climate scientist who discredits the effects of climate change because he's paid by BP. gently caress this rear end in a top hat

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

The fact that he's probably the most well known doctor in Pittsburgh which has a reputation on being the cutting edge of health science pisses me off almost as bad as seeing some soulless, ethicless climate scientist who discredits the effects of climate change because he's paid by BP. gently caress this rear end in a top hat

Hey man, grant money doesn't grow on loving trees.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Smiling Mandrill posted:

if this happens without previously changing the game fundamentally then subconcussive impacts will still be a problem and then skull fractures will be a new problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Monkeycheese posted:

if this happens without previously changing the game fundamentally then subconcussive impacts will still be a problem and then skull fractures will be a new problem

Besides, they would never try to improve safety by taking away the only piece of equipment that protects their brain. If anything, they need to keep going down the path to improving the helmet designs but like has been said the nature of the sport will always lead to brain trauma risk and there is just no way around that.

• Locked thread