Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I had been following this quite closely and then fell behind on updates from the Kickstarter and procrastination got the better of me. Reading through ropekid's posts in the old thread in an attempt to catch up a bit.

Also it sounds like I lucked out with Wasteland 2, my guess is because when I played the old cRPGs at the time I sucked at them, so being more competent now makes it a bit more fun to go through. That said, just based on the beta I think this game will be better by a decent amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

this game is gonna blow

up your phone with all your friends texting you about how great it is! OMG!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Paper Lion posted:

this game is gonna blow

you away!

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
They announced the game just went gold.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I still can't believe they got Chris Metzen writing the main scenario for this
I'm not sure I'd want to play the hatefuck of a story that would result from a forced Metzen-Avellone collaboration, but I expect the process would make good reality TV.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Scorchy posted:

They announced the game just went gold.

They gotta stop teasing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

zedprime posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to play the hatefuck of a story that would result from a forced Metzen-Avellone collaboration, but I expect the process would make good reality TV.

It'd be like the reveal in The Shining with Avellone coming across a stack of paper with the words 'CORRUPTION' and 'ESSENCE' over and over again.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
How do I build a spellsword in this game? Mostly melee damage, but also using buff / debuff / cc spells.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yaaaaaaaaassssssss

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Smol posted:

How do I build a spellsword in this game? Mostly melee damage, but also using buff / debuff / cc spells.

Chanter, being capable of a little bit of everything, fits the bill. Paladins too in a way,

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Smol posted:

Fighters have CC and self-buffs. Chanters have a little bit of everything. Ciphers are a classic "magic user that fights with weapons too".

Pretty much every class has some out of buffs/debuffs/cc. Is the magic part important to you or just the mechanical effect?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Are the dwarves in this game majestic underground artisans and mechanical savants, or are they 3rd-world plains-dwelling piranha people?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Smol posted:

Every class can use every weapon and armor, but I'd look at ciphers, chanters, and paladins. I normally ran fighter/mages in the ie games and my plan for this, after playing the backer beta, is a cipher with 19 int, 16 might, 13 Dex, and a blunderbuss, but you can also build one for melee.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 17, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Does kickstarter backers get the Giant Miniature Space Piglet?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

DatonKallandor posted:

Is the magic part important to you or just the mechanical effect?

I don't know. I just like to play a version of my first BG2 character (F/M) in every fantasy RPG, since that kind of character is usually very flexible and thus fun to use. If I feel like cutting some heads with swords, I can do that. If I feel like becoming an immortal tank with spells, I can do that. If I want to cast some nukes, I can do that. If I want to make myself invisible and confuse the enemies, I can do that. So basically I just want to be the ultimate jack of all trades.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Make a melee wizard with high Might/Con and heavy armor, they have at least 3-4 self-buffs at every spell level and you can swap out spellbooks to be more versatile.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Oasx posted:

Does kickstarter backers get the Giant Miniature Space Piglet?

Yes.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yay! I feel like this is the victory lap thread for what has already been an exciting gaming experience-and the game hasn't even come out yet! Already bought and ready to roll! I wish I had access to the music early though so I can get myself more pumped for the game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Every class can use every weapon and armor, but I'd look at ciphers, chanters, and paladins. I normally ran fighter/mages in the ie games and my plan for this, after playing the backer beta, is a cipher with 19 int, 16 might, 13 Dex, and a blunderbuss, but you can also build one for melee.

Are most parties 2 frontline/2 mid/2 ranged or does it end up devolving into 3 frontline/3 rear? Just quickly reviewing the classes, not sure if I wanna do something like [Fighter/Paladin up front, Priest/Cipher middle, Druid/Ranger rear] or [Fighter/Paladin/Monk front, Druid/Priest/Cipher rear].

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Came for "Josh Sawyer will make you his bitch," leaving confused and bitter.

Like every Tuesday.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Papercut posted:

Are most parties 2 frontline/2 mid/2 ranged or does it end up devolving into 3 frontline/3 rear? Just quickly reviewing the classes, not sure if I wanna do something like [Fighter/Paladin up front, Priest/Cipher middle, Druid/Ranger rear] or [Fighter/Paladin/Monk front, Druid/Priest/Cipher rear].

My plan for release is Fighter (plate melee), Paladin(plate melee), Priest(medium armor and ranged weapons / reach melee weapons), Chanter (medium armor and ranged and melee weapons with reach), Cipher(light armor blunderbuss ranged CC build), Wizard (light armor ranged damage build), which is basically 2/2/2 as you say, but that's probably not optimal, I just want to use those companions for my first runthrough.

The theoretical optimum party is probably one or two fighters in heavy armor with high defensive stats to lock down the enemy and draw fire, and then four or five ranged damage dealers in very light or no armor to burn hostiles down. There's no "aggro" mechanic but positioning is important and enemies tend to attack the first opponent that gets their attention/is closest.

In actual practice there seem to be two major kinds of fights -- open terrain, where yeah, things tend to go 3/3 or even 4 frontline / 2 rear, and dungeon crawling with lots of chokepoints, where you want two frontliners and then ranged supports. Having "reach" weapons (quarterstaffs or pikes) on your second rank can be really useful. For your damage dealers you don't want any armor heavier than a breastplate because the speed reduction really really tells -- some people like to essentially go naked but I find that too extreme personally.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Is it possible to go full oldschool UO in this game and be a plate mail wearing wizard who shoots bolts of death and also uses a giant god drat halberd?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yes

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes. Rope kid said he was doing tuning on melee wizards to make them stronger in the early/mid game, so we don't know exactly how they'll do, but chanters do pretty well on the front lines and ciphers have to use a weapon to charge up for their abilities.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

Are the dwarves in this game majestic underground artisans and mechanical savants, or are they 3rd-world plains-dwelling piranha people?

Think Marco Polo and you won't go far wrong for the first type. Then you have the pale dwarves, who are basically inuit.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Scorchy posted:

There's three separate game modes that can be turned on for increased difficulty:

Expert Mode - Turns off ease-of-use feature like showing reputation gains, skill checks, and gameplay elements.
Trial of Iron - Ironman/Hardcore mode. You get one save. Once you die, the save gets deleted.
Path of the Damned - Spawns all enemies from across all difficulties, and combat difficulty is amplified.

There's an achievement called Triple Crown for completing the game with all three modes turned on. There's also an achievement called Triple Crown Solo for finishing with all three modes while soloing the game with one character. What the gently caress.
I'm probably going to end up doing this aren't I

god drat

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I still can't believe they got Chris Metzen writing the main scenario for this

Please do not troll on the Something Awful internet bulletin board.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

theshim posted:

god drat

Do you hate yourself?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Chris Metzen presents: Pillars of Corruption. You can now play as Demonic Orcs too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

My plan for release is Fighter (plate melee), Paladin(plate melee), Priest(medium armor and ranged weapons / reach melee weapons), Chanter (medium armor and ranged and melee weapons with reach), Cipher(light armor blunderbuss ranged CC build), Wizard (light armor ranged damage build), which is basically 2/2/2 as you say, but that's probably not optimal, I just want to use those companions for my first runthrough.

The theoretical optimum party is probably one or two fighters in heavy armor with high defensive stats to lock down the enemy and draw fire, and then four or five ranged damage dealers in very light or no armor to burn hostiles down. There's no "aggro" mechanic but positioning is important and enemies tend to attack the first opponent that gets their attention/is closest.

In actual practice there seem to be two major kinds of fights -- open terrain, where yeah, things tend to go 3/3 or even 4 frontline / 2 rear, and dungeon crawling with lots of chokepoints, where you want two frontliners and then ranged supports. Having "reach" weapons (quarterstaffs or pikes) on your second rank can be really useful. For your damage dealers you don't want any armor heavier than a breastplate because the speed reduction really really tells -- some people like to essentially go naked but I find that too extreme personally.

Thanks, this is great info.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

ded posted:

Is it possible to go full oldschool UO in this game and be a plate mail wearing wizard who shoots bolts of death and also uses a giant god drat halberd?

No, There are no halberds in the game only pollaxes and pikes. But every class can equip every normal armor and weapon.

For your damage dealers you don't want any armor heavier than a breastplate because the speed reduction really really tells -- some people like to essentially go naked but I find that too extreme personally.

If you go naked, you will loose one item slot with enchanted equipment, so it isn't really optimal. Clothes also give no speed reduction, but you can enchant them.

prometheus12345 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 17, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

theshim posted:

god drat

Do it as an LP, I want to enjoy the suffering.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
For the non-sperg game player, does expert mode seem like a viable playthrough?

Its description from above doesn't describe much to me, so what does it actually do differently ingame? Will it just take away floating numbers and stuff? Or remove map markers type of things?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Rope Kid, has anybody on the dev team has actually completed the game Triple Crown Solo mode?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think they said in the RPG Codex interview that no.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Chris Metzen presents: Pillars of Corruption. You can now play as Demonic Orcs too.

Get one character to level 55 to unlock the new Hero class : Deathknight!

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Upmarket Mango posted:

Rope Kid, has anybody on the dev team has actually completed the game Triple Crown Solo mode?

After watching Avalone's struggles with Arcanum I've lost faith in the Dev's ability to play games.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Upmarket Mango posted:

No. It may not be possible without weird glitches/exploits unless we do some additional solo tuning. We support solo play, but it hasn't been a balancing focus at all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sergiu64 posted:

After watching Avalone's struggles with Arcanum I've lost faith in the Dev's ability to play games.

You didn't figure that out from every pre-built character build offered in every RPG ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

For the non-sperg game player, does expert mode seem like a viable playthrough?

Its description from above doesn't describe much to me, so what does it actually do differently ingame? Will it just take away floating numbers and stuff? Or remove map markers type of things?
One big change is that it removes the [Strength 13] notice from before the dialogue "I'm going to smash your knees" so you dont know if it is a regular speech option or a special one.

• Locked thread