Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Ratios and Tendency posted:

- countering mirror image (hits multiple times)

The equivalent of Mirror Image got raped in Pillars as well. Waste of a per-rest use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Sensuki posted:

I personally didn't have a problem with that. Backstab is pretty useful against a large variety of encounters in the game. It's no different than creatures being magic immune or something like that. It sucks if you've only got Thieves in your party, but you can still beat them by just attacking normally with a Potion of Speed or something.
It still reduces Thieves to really bad Fighters, and it's not like the Thief is an amazing class to begin with.
Mages can at least still summon something or just Lower Resistance later on. Of course, there are dead magic zones, too.
I'm pretty sure backstab/sneak attack immunity was more of an issue in the NWN games at least. With BG2 the issue is more how often it's best to just let two or three party members with the relevant abilities/prebuffs steamroll a dungeon while the rest hangs back.

Rascyc posted:

I remember reading a post about someone's mage doing a dimensional door when they got in trouble and stunned a bunch of dudes and that sounded cool. But it just doesn't happen very often.
I think that was rope kid, actually.
Later on you can also combine that spell with Flagellant's Path if you've got a Monk, although it always requires enemies to line up for you.

Furism posted:

Something I've noticed in my latest run, which is a Triple Crown one, is that although you can't see the enemies vulnerabilities/immunities on the tooltip with a mouse hover, you still see them in the Cyclopedia. Anyone knows if that's by design?
I don't know what you mean by vulnerabilities not being visible in the tooltip window (I can only think of DR-related stuff and that's definitely there), but affliction immunities are going to be shown in it in the future.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 25, 2015

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was thinking yesterday while playing that one of my biggest difficulties with combat is that I usually cant tell if a spell/strike have hit or failed, except if I staring at the target to see if a red number pop out of its head.

So when I command Aloth to cast something, I will be staring at his target for a while to check if it was a hit or not and how effective it is. And while Im doing it, lots of other things (usually bad) are happening to my other party members and I lose control, because even with the new AI, your guys will do stupid poo poo when left by thenselves (like disengaging from a target that was almost dead to engage enemies that are currently off screen and not even part of the ongoing battle);

I also noticed this, some of Aloth's spells only report stuff like 'two hits, one graze' on one line with no mouse-over information. Is that right?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't know what you mean by vulnerabilities not being visible in the tooltip window (I can only think of DR-related stuff and that's definitely there), but affliction immunities are going to be shown in it in the future.

By vulnerabilities I mean the DR-related stuff, yes. It's definitively not there on Expert Mode. You only see the name, the current afflictions and the health ("Near death" etc). But, in the same Expert Mode, if you go to the Cyclopedia you can see all the vulnerabilities.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Wizard Styles posted:

It still reduces Thieves to really bad Fighters, and it's not like the Thief is an amazing class to begin with.

For particular fights, yes ... except in BG2:ToB the Thief (any kit) becomes pretty drat powerful with Use Any Item. I don't have a problem with the idea that in some fights, certain party members aren't very good.

quote:

With BG2 the issue is more how often it's best to just let two or three party members with the relevant abilities/prebuffs steamroll a dungeon while the rest hangs back.

I actually really enjoy the fact that you can split the party up. The BGs & IWD1 are more freeform and aren't so based around the rigid idea of "encounter-based" play where the whole party fights a mob. I don't really pre-buff that much in IE because it can often lead to an unnecessary waste of spells (which can shorten the adventuring day), and I've enjoyed only using certain characters to tackle certain encounters. In BG1 for instance, I only use my best Fighter to attack the Flesh Golems in High Hedge and the Treasure Cave on the coast. They're immune to piercing damage, have high magic resistance and need a magic weapon to hit so arrows are no good, so you gotta bash em and there's limited pathing space available in those areas, and you don't want them pulverizing one of your squishier characters, so best Fighter it is.

Similarly, you can split the party across multiple screens. In IWD1 Lower Dorn's Deep you're often set upon by multiple groups of Fire Salamanders and Tarnished Sentries and splitting the party against those encounters is optimal because then you don't get more than one party member hit from the AoE fire damage of the Salamanders, and a standard party makeup should have 4 or so characters that have the AC to toe to toe with a Tarnished Sentry in melee.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 25, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, I don't mind it when it's just a few Flesh Golems in a cave. But when you make the decision to only send in a few party members, you obviously limit your tactical options in the battles themselves. Bodhi's hideout and the Mind Flayer lairs are the main examples that I can think of here. The optimal way to get through those is to put Chaotic Commands and Improved Haste on some warriors (plus some source of Negative Plane Protection against the Vampires) and send them in. Maybe summon some Skeleton Warriors and Fire Elementals if you feel like you need more bodies. The actual fights pretty much play themselves.

Furism posted:

By vulnerabilities I mean the DR-related stuff, yes. It's definitively not there on Expert Mode. You only see the name, the current afflictions and the health ("Near death" etc). But, in the same Expert Mode, if you go to the Cyclopedia you can see all the vulnerabilities.
Ah, I didn't realize that was an Expert Mode feature, never mind then.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I actually didn't even know Chaotic Commands stopped the Mind Flayer stunning you until someone told me earlier this year. I usually have quite a few Potions of Genius and Mind Focusing that I never use, and Mind Flayers mostly do INT damage so throwing on a potion of genius and tanking a bunch of hits worked pretty well - same approach though I would just use my best warriors to do those bits. I think Remove Paralysis or Free Action also works against the stun?

I had a fantastic time doing the Underdark Mind Flayer lair last time I played it, but I used a mod that added a bunch of improvements to it.

As before with the Basilisk example, I think that's just a problem with the Mind Flayer creature design. If the Intellect drain is their only dimension, then that's a one dimensional creature. Give them some spell-casting or weapons or some poo poo and different story.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 25, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Sensuki posted:

I actually didn't even know Chaotic Commands stopped Mind Flayer intelligence drain until someone told me earlier this year.
Wait, it does? :v:
I mentioned Chaotic Commands because of their Domination attack, for the Int drain I always kept a potion around just in case as well.

quote:

I had a fantastic time doing the Underdark Mind Flayer lair last time I played it, but I used a mod that added a bunch of improvements to it.
Do you mean the SCS component that buffs them or is there another mod for that?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Sorry edited my post, I meant the psionic stun as that makes them auto-hit you with the INT drain.

Wizard Styles posted:

Do you mean the SCS component that buffs them or is there another mod for that?

Nah it was something else. I'll look it up and edit this post.

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=128&Itemid=100/

quote:

* Mind Flayers gain a greater repertoire of psionic abilities, and will use them less predictably. They may also try to escape a battle if wounded (inspired by Blucher's Smarter Mind Flayers), and may even return to fight you again later. Alhoons also gain a small number of appropriate mage spells

I believe when I did it I was quite high level, so the level scaling upped the encounters a bit.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 25, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Sensuki posted:

Sorry edited my post, I meant the psionic stun as that makes them auto-hit you with the INT drain.
Oh right, I forgot that even exists.

quote:

Nah it was something else. I'll look it up and edit this post.
Cool, thanks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sensuki posted:

I actually didn't even know Chaotic Commands stopped Mind Flayer intelligence drain until someone told me earlier this year. I usually have quite a few Potions of Genius and Mind Focusing that I never use, and Mind Flayers mostly do INT damage so throwing on a potion of genius and tanking a bunch of hits worked pretty well - same approach though I would just use my best warriors to do those bits.

As before with the Basilisk example, I think that's just a problem with the Mind Flayer creature design. If the Intellect drain is their only dimension, then that's a one dimensional creature. Give them some spell-casting or weapons or some poo poo and different story.

It's really weird how you're this diehard IE savant and you didn't seem to know or use some of the most common cheese strats people used through those games. Next you'll be telling us you don't use Negative Plane Protection against vampires

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

There's a lot of ways you can cheese stuff in the IE games but doing it isn't very fun is it ?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, being aware of cheese doesn't mean you have to use it.

I mean, when I play PoE I don't use the summoning trinkets (Except for the cloak that summons a Beagle, how could you not give that to Edér?), and I scoff at doorways that I know lesser players like to park their tanks in.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, being aware of cheese doesn't mean you have to use it.

I mean, when I play PoE I don't use the summoning trinkets (Except for the cloak that summons a Beagle, how could you not give that to Edér?), and I scoff at doorways that I know lesser players like to park their tanks in.

If the game mechanics allow for a tactic, I'll sure as hell use it. If fighting at a choke-point is good enough for King Leonidas of Sparta and Aragorn II, son of Arathorn, it's good enough for me. :colbert:

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
I only played the old IE games solo so a lot of the cheese I used will be quite diff to others. I suspect there are many flavours of cheese; many paths to the one eternal stilton.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

It's kinda weird how that happened, you could certainly do the doorway thing in the BGs/IWDs but I just never found it necessary 99% of the time and I didn't really see other people doing it either. Iron Golems - sure but otherwise I never did it. I play like an aggressive bastard and bumrush the enemy.

I think it's a result of a combo of encounter design and system design choices. They went out of their way to remove the "oh poo poo" moments from the IE games where you have like a fight upon entering an area or a setpiece where you're railroaded to a specific position, doorways are often single doors rather than double doors [design limitation?] and you don't need to be pro-active about dealing with ranged/caster enemies very often, so you're not required to push through a space ... and the gameplay punishes doing that anyway. One of the specific things Engagement was meant to do is that it's supposed to combat the (IMO very fun) situations where you can just rush a Fighter through an enemy pack and bash your target of choice and forces you to play a specific way where you (should) always make the enemy come to you instead, and there's also how the defense system works (game promotes dedicated tanking, IE games did not) and your Health also has a cap, it doesn't in the IE games due to potions/temples.

The IE games give you a choice of how to play - you can play defensively or offensively, rather than one specific playstyle being punished by the systems. IE combat gameplay is a lot more emergent IMO. Even with Engagement disabled it's still beneficial to use doorways, mostly because of the Health system I think.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 25, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The doorway blocking strategy seems like a holdover from the game's release where people just made one or two super-tanks that absorbed all hits and had the rest of the party stay back and attack with ranged weapons. It's still doable in the current version, but it's so slow and inefficient that I don't know why you'd bother. Having an active frontline where you can spread the hits around seems like a much faster and more interesting approach.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Samuel Clemens posted:

The doorway blocking strategy seems like a holdover from the game's release where people just made one or two super-tanks that absorbed all hits and had the rest of the party stay back and attack with ranged weapons. It's still doable in the current version, but it's so slow and inefficient that I don't know why you'd bother. Having an active frontline where you can spread the hits around seems like a much faster and more interesting approach.

Plus, it's more epic that way. I play these games to be the big goddamned hero, not a cheesemaker. Much more fun for me when my guys are in the fray, scrambling for the victory.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

The doorway blocking strategy seems like a holdover from the game's release where people just made one or two super-tanks that absorbed all hits and had the rest of the party stay back and attack with ranged weapons.

What about Pikes & Quarterstaves m8?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Samuel Clemens posted:

That really depends on a lot of stuff though. Casters can still target your backline and on PotD your tank might not be able to soak all the damage forever. In TWM Barbarians (and Rogues?) will teleport past your frontline. And you might not get a chance to put the enemies in a state where your Rogue can sneak attack.

It's not required, especially for the easier packs, but on some fights, like that Ogre Level in Caed Nua where enemies can one-shot your squishies, it does help a lot.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
so i made character specifically to try to kill the entire caravan to see what would happen, i killed everyone but odema by pulling them away and then i fought odema and he got me to 0 hp and i stood there hitting him until he died, and then it did a modified version of the event where you run into the ruins. And then im a level 7 orlan cipher with maxed out stats and exceptional equipment halfway into the ruins? whats up with that?

edit: i guess i activated some kind of debug mode because i have a bunch of unique weapons and armor and debug skills and nothing aggros properly and scripted events are acting weird

jsoh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 25, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

Some counter-spelling & some dispelling that I remember off the top of my head in IWD1
I think a third of those are genuinely useful in practice and the rest are pretty niche. Point taken, though, since area design should make as much use of what's available in the system as possible.

FWIW, some of the counter spells in PoE are being beefed up (e.g. Purge of Toxins) and keyworded attacks (e.g. Poison, Disease) will be more clearly communicated in patch 3.0.

Sensuki posted:

The equivalent of Mirror Image got raped in Pillars as well. Waste of a per-rest use.
Mirrored Images never really worked the way it was supposed to, unfortunately.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Magic missile has four main tactical uses:
Superficially they are the same spell but the tactical options and usefulness between games are completely different such that you don't actually have magic missile in your not-D&D game, and that's just one example. Dispel magic, invisibility, resilient sphere, mirror image, lightning bolt, there are tons.

I've been writing, editing and deleting various thoughts here for hours. I'm going to have to sleep on it. Do you mean more what I wanted from the game ideally or practical improvements from where it is now?
Thanks. That makes sense.

We do have a little more time for patches and fixes in PoE, but we're not going to turn the world upside down in the next few months. That said, if we make a sequel, it would be much easier to code in new/unique things.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

One of the specific things Engagement was meant to do is that it's supposed to combat the (IMO very fun) situations where you can just rush a Fighter through an enemy pack and bash your target of choice
It was designed primarily for the player to use to prevent enemies from bypassing the player's front line. I've said that from the first time I talked about it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

It was designed primarily for the player to use to prevent enemies from bypassing the player's front line. I've said that from the first time I talked about it.

Since 2.0 enemies seem to ignore that behavior a lot though and rush past the Fighter if they find a juicy target not too far - and eat the Disengagement Attack. They might even change target if, say, my Rogue walks close-by in order to get behind the target. It's not a problem exactly but I find Engagement unreliable now and I have to be much more cautious than before.

Is the current state the way you wanted it to be? I'm not suggesting it's bad, and in fact it's probably better now - forces me to be more cautious - but the "unreliable" part can be annoying sometimes. I can't figure out when an enemy will switch target and this caused a lot of KO's to the Rogue of my current run.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Furism posted:

Since 2.0 enemies seem to ignore that behavior a lot though and rush past the Fighter if they find a juicy target not too far - and eat the Disengagement Attack. They might even change target if, say, my Rogue walks close-by in order to get behind the target. It's not a problem exactly but I find Engagement unreliable now and I have to be much more cautious than before.

Is the current state the way you wanted it to be? I'm not suggesting it's bad, and in fact it's probably better now - forces me to be more cautious - but the "unreliable" part can be annoying sometimes. I can't figure out when an enemy will switch target and this caused a lot of KO's to the Rogue of my current run.

I think the enemy takes into account your accuracy and damage potential when deciding whether they risk disengagement. I'm experimenting with this at low levels sure but I've found enemies far less likely to run around Eder when he has a Sabre only than when he has a Hatchet and Larder Door for example.

How they'll handle retargeting when flanked seems up in the air. Sometimes enemies will switch to hitting my barely armored monk, sometimes they stick to Eder anyway. That's where I'm finding a lack of consistency.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

rope kid posted:

I think that a lot of people's frustration regarding controlling enemy targeting in the IE games was because they just didn't know how the targeting worked in the first place. Because I came from an RTS background it's something I've always been mindful of, so I never found it an issue, whereas players who don't necessarily have the tactical background that I do tend to just simply issue an attack command and expect things to work.

In Baldur's Gate or whatever IE equivalent, if you want enemies to attack your Fighter, you need to position your Fighter so that they are targeted. If they are not being targeted because your Mage is closer, you need to move your Mage a certain distance away from the enemies and make the Fighter the closest enemy when the next AI targeting check runs. That's how it worked, but I don't think many people understood that, and thus were not able to successfully switch the aggro to their Fighter.

This is one of the things that makes positioning and movement in combat important, but it's not something that every player understands so they don't see those positioning and movement related aspects. I've seen quite a few people say that positioning in the IE games does not matter, but I think that's untrue.

One of the problems with that is that there's no way that a player can read up on how it works, it's just a trial by error thing. While not necessarily a bad thing (depending on what your opinion on obfuscation is), it could be something that is documented, like the targeting mechanics of enemy creeps in DotA are documented somewhere online.

I think if more people understood or were conditioned to think about how to manipulate enemy AI targeting in games in general then there would be less complaints about such things.

edit (for example):

quote:

Lane creeps target first enemy lane creeps, secondly enemy heroes, and lastly enemy siege creeps. Nearby creeps will report their aggro on you if you attack an enemy hero (or attack click an enemy hero), allowing you to bring them behind your own creeps in order to farm more safely. Lane creeps can also follow you very far, inside the jungle and even as far as another lane. They stop chasing you if they lose sight of you for a long time.

Towers have a specific targeting priority that determines which enemy it will attack. This list represents that priority in descending order:

Closest enemy unit or hero attacking a friendly hero with auto attack
Closest enemy unit or hero attacking the tower itself with auto attack
Closest enemy unit or hero attacking any friendly unit with auto attack
Closest enemy unit
Closest enemy hero
Closest enemy catapult
The tower will only switch targets under four circumstances:

If the targeted enemy unit or hero goes out of range
If the targeted enemy unit or hero dies
If an enemy unit or hero within 500 range targets a friendly hero
If an enemy hero being attacked by the tower manually attacks another enemy unit or hero (in which case, the tower will select a new target based on the above priority order).

Using this information, you can manipulate enemy AI targeting to your advantage. I also recall you talking about something kinda similar regarding Hitman Blood Money on a podcast (not related to AI targeting, but consistent AI behavior and because you understand how it works, you can use it to your advantage to do cool things).

The targeting clause included in the Engagement system (for enemies at least) is all that I think was necessary to make this a bit easier to do, which is why for the Remove Engagement component of the IE mod, we kept the targeting clause so that players still had that easy way of controlling the targeting.

One of the reasons why I dislike that system so much is because one of the reasons it exists is that it attempted to solve a problem that did not exist for me (I can perfectly control enemy targeting in the IE games because I understand how the targeting works) and instead of helping me do anything, all it did was restrict what I could do and force me to play a certain way (well, not force but punish me for playing how I would in BG/IWD).

There are people that like the mechanic a lot for both the things it does - the AI targeting clause and the punishment of movement in melee (which I hate because I like dynamic movement in combat, but some people think that you should have to 'prepare' for a retreat), so I'm not sure what you'd do there for a sequel whether you'd keep it or not, but I think that other non-RPG real-time tactical games handle enemy AI targeting very well and in those games movement is controlled actively through crowd-control abilities which IMO is a more fun, reactive and rewarding experience in a real-time game than a passive system adapted from a TB game and might be worth looking at if you do decided to consider a different approach. YMMV.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 25, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I think the enemy takes into account your accuracy and damage potential when deciding whether they risk disengagement. I'm experimenting with this at low levels sure but I've found enemies far less likely to run around Eder when he has a Sabre only than when he has a Hatchet and Larder Door for example.

That seems to make sense, but I wonder how the AI is supposed to know your Accuracy/damage potential. To go back to Scorchy's earlier comment, the good thing in these games is that enemies must play by the same rules as you (except the special creatures/bosses). Why should they be aware of my Accuracy score if I can't know theirs?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They know that sabres are awesome and kill things, and they also know that hatchets have strong defense but can't hack through DR and that the heavy shield butchers your accuracy. These are all things you know, so they're all things that are perfectly reasonable for them to know.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Xaurip Skirmishers are seasoned veterans with countless campaigns under their belt and all have a 100% filled out bestiary.

Sensuki posted:

It's kinda weird how that happened, you could certainly do the doorway thing in the BGs/IWDs but I just never found it necessary 99% of the time and I didn't really see other people doing it either. Iron Golems - sure but otherwise I never did it. I play like an aggressive bastard and bumrush the enemy.

I think it's a result of a combo of encounter design and system design choices. They went out of their way to remove the "oh poo poo" moments from the IE games where you have like a fight upon entering an area or a setpiece where you're railroaded to a specific position, doorways are often single doors rather than double doors [design limitation?] and you don't need to be pro-active about dealing with ranged/caster enemies very often, so you're not required to push through a space ... and the gameplay punishes doing that anyway. One of the specific things Engagement was meant to do is that it's supposed to combat the (IMO very fun) situations where you can just rush a Fighter through an enemy pack and bash your target of choice and forces you to play a specific way where you (should) always make the enemy come to you instead, and there's also how the defense system works (game promotes dedicated tanking, IE games did not) and your Health also has a cap, it doesn't in the IE games due to potions/temples.

The IE games give you a choice of how to play - you can play defensively or offensively, rather than one specific playstyle being punished by the systems. IE combat gameplay is a lot more emergent IMO. Even with Engagement disabled it's still beneficial to use doorways, mostly because of the Health system I think.
I think play pretty much exactly like you and it works in PoE, too. You can play just as offensively, you just need to plan a little before you make that push to reach enemies in the back. So you drop a low level CC spell and run your melee guy through the gap. Sometimes you have to accept that you'll eat a disengagement attack along the way. That can be painful for a Rogue or animal companion but the first one isn't really going to be dangerous.
How often you actually need to do that is another matter. I do it against Raedric's casters and in the Skaen temple but not in any other areas that I can think of. But that applies to the IE games as well, really.

Also, after reading Samuel Clemens' post I actually have to say that I have no idea if playing with 2 dedicated tanks occupying a choke point and 4 ranged/reach attackers behind them is even optimal; I've never done it because it would bore me.

It's mainly the summoning trinkets that I find kind of cheesy because the game restricts the access to summoning pretty harshly when you look at class abilities/spells (and for good reason). But then you get all those items that can just instantly summon pretty strong creatures whenever you need them.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 25, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Choke pointing in PoE is something I do in the early game just for survival. Tanks go down very easily in the early game. Once you get going I generally stop and embrace the chaos. I also run with very little engagement because that poo poo is mostly so you can make pretty battle lines and battle isn't pretty ;)

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

Xaurip Skirmishers are seasoned veterans with countless campaigns under their belt and all have a 100% filled out bestiary.

I think play pretty much exactly like you and it works in PoE, too. You can play just as offensively, you just need to plan a little before you make that push to reach enemies in the back. So you drop a low level CC spell and run your melee guy through the gap. Sometimes you have to accept that you'll eat a disengagement attack along the way. That can be painful for a Rogue or animal companion but the first one isn't really going to be dangerous.

Nah that doesn't sound the same as me in IE, sounds like how most people conform to playing Pillars though, and that's one of the things I find boring - 90% of decision making is just planning/stuff you decide before combat begins. You still do the pre-combat setup and make sure that your tanks take aggro before you make a move like that rather than sorting that stuff out while combat is happening because movement in combat is punished two ways.

quote:

How often you actually need to do that is another matter. I do it against Raedric's casters and in the Skaen temple but not in any other areas that I can think of. But that applies to the IE games as well, really.

I beat the Raedric Encounter on the first go by using Eder to walk up to the very edge of the dialogue trigger point and then microing him to run instantly as dialogue ended so he wasn't surrounded (just to the base of the ramp, didn't use a doorway like one of my friends did), and then I think I toasted the majority of guys with AoE spells, the caster guys went down fast, was no reason to flank to attack them when all they do is cast pointless protection spells that don't help and then cast stuff like Minoletta's Minor Missiles and whatnot, lol.

I don't really think it's a matter of need, because there are a plethora of ways to tackle an encounter like that in BG2. Certain approaches are punished by the systems in Pillars though which I think makes the gameplay less emergent.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 26, 2015

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Wizard Styles posted:

It's mainly the summoning trinkets that I find kind of cheesy because the game restricts the access to summoning pretty harshly when you look at class abilities/spells (and for good reason). But then you get all those items that can just instantly summon pretty strong creatures whenever you need them.

Come on, it's fun to swarm the enemies with a ton of beetles and shades and Adamats and you know it.

Prior to TWM1 trinkets weren't so easy to obtain except maybe one or two. After that it seems Obsidian went nuts though and put them everywhere in the extension.

Magile
May 20, 2008
I don't recall Drakes and Younger Drakes hitting as hard as they do. I'm a full party of level 5s and if I get three of them on my group, unless I have all my spells/abilities at the ready... dear god, they hurt. Did they get changed at all at some point/was there a monster overhaul outside of the "immunity" stuff?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

rope kid posted:

That's great but when playing the game it mostly felt like it was restricting me from controlling my dudes. Engaged an enemy melee with my fighter? Great, now I can't move him even an inch or he'll lose a ton of HP. Enemy melee breaks through somehow and engages my backline? Great, my wizard is going to die because if I move him he eats a poo poo ton of disengagement damage and if I don't, well, he'll drop like a sack of poo poo in two seconds because that's how wizards roll.

It's not a brilliant idea to have such powerful disincentives to move your dudes in combat in an RTS style combat system, because RTS combat is fundamentally about moving dudes around.

(movement penalty to recovery was another blunder, imo)

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

verybad posted:

Enemy melee breaks through somehow and engages my backline? Great, my wizard is going to die because if I move him he eats a poo poo ton of disengagement damage and if I don't, well, he'll drop like a sack of poo poo in two seconds because that's how wizards roll.
That's what Fleet Feet is for. Or the grimoire slam, followed by Fleet Feet.

Unrelated, but I don't think this interview of Feargus and Rope Kid was posted :

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=389

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 26, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

In order to do that play you have to spend a talent, and use a per-rest ability and make two separate non-movement actions. That's a big sacrifice just to have a chance at avoiding one of the penalties of making that play and no matter what you do, you've already hosed up big time by wasting all that poo poo on a simple action. Instead you could just not choose Grimoire Slam, not cast fleet feet and avoid getting into that situation, and failing that just stand still and keep dealing damage.

Same situation in BG2: Player is rewarded for realizing there is a problem and correcting it, rather than being pre-pwned by the systems.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 26, 2015

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Yeah there are lots of ways to get around unwanted engagement. Usually what I've done is have my Cipher use Mind Wave or Amplified Thrust. If Eder's available he'll knockdown. If it's a case where my character has decent deflection and their's doesn't I might just risk disengagement anyway. Regardless though, PoE's combat doesn't seem to be about movement to me, it's about resource management, and unwanted engagement forces you to use your resources to deal with it.

Really, I love engagement as a mechanic. Finally something that allows tanks to function properly without relying on stupid AI like the Infinity Engine games or overly gamey mechanics like Aggro. It also punishes kiting which is the literal best thing to me.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Engagement is cool, but it's of limited use on PotD because enemies are so numerous and so tough. Chokepoints are still better for crowd control.

What if it was restricted to certain enemy types and/or classes and/or PC characters only? Might make particular monsters/tank classes feel more distinct if "melee stickiness" was their specific thing rather than something you gotta wrestle with every time you make a move, anytime.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Furism posted:

Come on, it's fun to swarm the enemies with a ton of beetles and shades and Adamats and you know it.
I have embraced rope kid's design philosophy and learned to hate fun.

Sensuki posted:

Nah that doesn't sound the same as me in IE, sounds like how most people conform to playing Pillars though, and that's one of the things I find boring - 90% of decision making is just planning/stuff you decide before combat begins. You still do the pre-combat setup and make sure that your tanks take aggro before you make a move like that rather than sorting that stuff out while combat is happening because movement in combat is punished two ways.
Well, you mentioned bumrushing the enemy; that's generally something I decide to do before the fight, not when it's halfway over.

And Head Hit Keyboard is right, disengagement attacks really aren't nearly as big a deal as some people make them out to be. Against just one enemy I'll usually just take it and go where I want. If moving would risk multiple disengagement attacks there are ways to stop them from happening. Sure, it penalizes movement, but restrictions like that can create meaningful decisions. In the IE games you just send your melee guys after whoever you want dead or distracted, in PoE you have to decide whether it's worth taking damage or using an ability/spell. If anything I think that there aren't enough encounters that make engagement really matter.

I'm not a big fan of the movement penalty to recovery, but it's also not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lt. Danger posted:

Engagement is cool, but it's of limited use on PotD because enemies are so numerous and so tough. Chokepoints are still better for crowd control.

That's my experience too. Engagement dont help much keeping enemies from reaching your casters/ranger attackers since you are almost always outnumbered and several enemies can teleport anyway.

• Locked thread