Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

rope kid posted:

The stronghold additions are mostly focused on new or revised content. Visitors have dilemmas you can resolve in the great hall. Adventures now actually have names, descriptions, and resolutions with unique items for each one (and there are about 35 of them IIRC). Finally, there's a new quest line directly connected to the strongholds.

If you're a liberty to say, will you miss out on the new stronghold stuff if you're already progressing the stronghold on that save? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009

frajaq posted:

Whos this bigass motherfucker that died I wonder. I forget if there are giants in PoE lore

Abydon built his new body at the nearby forge, maybe that's his old body?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

VDay posted:

A second-line barbarian with a reach weapon works great in PotD because every encounter has at least like 4 mobs in it so carnage damage is going to add up real quick. That gives you a high might/int character and fills a companion hole.

In terms of general team strats the main thing you need in PotD is two front line tanks that you can shove into a doorway to keep the rest of your damage dealing and CC'ing party alive. Being able to hold off half a dozen enemies by blocking a doorway/hallway/cave passage makes things a million times easier. If you're going to use the default companions then I would honestly think about using a cheat engine table to nudge their stats in a more min/max-y direction. You don't have to min max to get by on PotD, but having an entire party where everyone is just a bit suboptimal is going to make things noticeably harder than it does on Hard/Normal. You'll really wish you had those extra points in resolve on your tanks or int on your casters during the tougher fights.

Like I said though just sticking two tanks in a doorway is going to get you through most of the game just fine.

Pillars of Eternity: just sticking two tanks in a doorway

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Randler posted:

If you're a liberty to say, will you miss out on the new stronghold stuff if you're already progressing the stronghold on that save? :ohdear:
No, you shouldn't.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
One thing I would really like that is a really easy QoL stuff: distinct selection circle for whoever you have selected.
Theres a bunch of green circles and the engaged ones have different shapes - but I would really like if it made whoever I have selected more visible. With 4 melee dudes all in variations of plate and mail it can get difficult to get an overview, even when paused. Yeah selected dudes have brighter green circles, but if you could customise or just differentiate selected party member's circle colors (For example: make current selected party member's circle yellow), that would make the overview much easier.

I'm surprised even IE mod doesnt do this yet.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 7, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
16 hours in I'm still hanging around Defiance Bay doing the side quests and loving it.

I've only played Fallout 1, 2 and Planescape for games similar to these.

I cheated my way through F2 and F1 since I was like 12 and I never got past the first building after you leave The City Of Doors in PST

This game owns hella bones. Not very good at it but the lore and story is p cool and easy mode still lets me get my rear end kicked (gently caress YOU LILITH)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Putting two tanks in a doorway works fine for average encounters, but most of the hard fights are either against teleporting enemies or feature relatively open spaces, so you still want your back-liners to be able to take a hit, especially once you get into the DLC.

Edit: It's also not a recommended strategy against enemy mages since it lets them hit everyone with a single spell.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 7, 2016

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is there a reason behind no Barbarian companion :smith:

Octo1
May 7, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Is there a reason behind no Barbarian companion :smith:

There will be one in White March part 2.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Putting two tanks in a doorway works fine for average encounters, but most of the hard fights are either against teleporting enemies or feature relatively open spaces, so you still want your back-liners to be able to take a hit, especially once you get into the DLC.

Edit: It's also not a recommended strategy against enemy mages since it lets them hit everyone with a single spell.

I mean mages are always going to be a pain in the rear end that kind of require their own approach, but you can just spread your backline guys out or move them out of the way to avoid bad AoE's. I gave the tanky doorway bottleneck advice as just a general tip because that's a really solid base to build a team around and is a strategy that works in like 95% of the fights in the game on at least some viable level. Fights in open areas are still way easier if you send your two tanks out in front and have them act like engagement sponges. Then you just act like they're a viking shield wall and you have your guys focus down any enemies that leak through before finishing off everyone else.

Fights against teleporters are a bit tricky, but I've found that just flipping your 2nd and 3rd row guys works out pretty well. That way when the enemy inevitably teleports on top of your casters, your other damage dealers can focus them down quickly instead of having to run around someone or potentially get stuck in an awkward corner/hallway.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

You can chokepoint the vast majority of the fights in this game if you're willing to do a trivial bit of kiting. It's not always a doorway. Can be between trees, a bridge, a narrow path. You can even do it around a sharp corner, sort of, since their casters and ranged won't go around the corner and they'll stay out of LOS of your backline.

And most of the enemy mage spells aren't THAT bad, especially since you can space your backline out to avoid AOEs.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

Because we don't want to require people to finish the base game or jump ahead to the end of the game to access the expansion. Heart of Winter, Trials of the Luremaster, and Tales of the Sword Coast all worked this way.

Isn't it a little bit easier too for the story to happen before the end of the game? This way you don't have to take all the possible endings into account?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Jeoh posted:

Pillars of Eternity: just sticking two tanks in a doorway
Using choke points isn't needed even on PotD. Just need some crowd control instead.

PotD without both choke points and using a CC class would probably be pretty hard, but it's not like I've ever tried doing that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When the White March Part 2 comes out will the game be finished outside of patching, or are Obsidian thinking of doing one of those Enhanced Edition/Director's Cut that are popular these days?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 7, 2016

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Inspector Gesicht posted:

When the White March Part 2 comes out will the game be finished content-wise, or are Obsidian thinking of doing one of those Enhanced Edition/Director's Cut that are popular these days?

iirc ropekid said they'd probably move on after it, excepting patches to correct problems.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

The expansions were kinda like enhanced editions anyway, considering how much of the base game they change

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

VDay posted:

I gave the tanky doorway bottleneck advice as just a general tip because that's a really solid base to build a team around and is a strategy that works in like 95% of the fights in the game on at least some viable level. Fights in open areas are still way easier if you send your two tanks out in front and have them act like engagement sponges.

Don't get me wrong, having some tanky characters engage first is always a sound strategy, I'm just saying you have to be prepared for the contigency that your squishier characters might take a hit. Especially on PotD where most encounters have more enemies than you do engagement slots.

Khizan posted:

You can chokepoint the vast majority of the fights in this game if you're willing to do a trivial bit of kiting. It's not always a doorway. Can be between trees, a bridge, a narrow path. You can even do it around a sharp corner, sort of, since their casters and ranged won't go around the corner and they'll stay out of LOS of your backline.

Yeah, but that requires effort, maaan.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
if/when they're making PoE2, could be they make a version of PoE1 on the PoE2 engine at some point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, and have any of the expansions or patches changed how charming / dazing works? I gave up on the Endless Paths about 3/4ths of the way down because my party just got chain-charmed all the time and there didn't seem to be much I could do about it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, and have any of the expansions or patches changed how charming / dazing works? I gave up on the Endless Paths about 3/4ths of the way down because my party just got chain-charmed all the time and there didn't seem to be much I could do about it.

I forget the name of the item, but there is an item that when in combat you can hit your party with suppression. It prevents them from being charmed, so get that person that has the item into combat ASAP and hit your team with it. You get like 10-15 seconds of charm immunity.

Edit: This ring - http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Ring_of_Unshackling

Double Edit: You can also use the level 2 Priest spell Suppress Affliction.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 7, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, Suppress Affliction now works on allegiance-shifting stuff.

That's it, though, the abilities themselves haven't changed. The best option still is to CC them before they CC you. Like, fights against groups of Vithracks + Crystal Eaters especially feel like a game of status effect tag.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Priest protection spells did get buffed a bunch since release, not to mention that fampyr charm (but not vithrack dominate) can be reflected with minor arcane reflection, which the White March has made available in potion form!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Prayer against ________ spells now grant full immunity to their afflictions, though the base duration was reduced a bit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
OK awesome, from what I remember most of that didn't work before or worked only marginally.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

VDay posted:

A second-line barbarian with a reach weapon works great in PotD because every encounter has at least like 4 mobs in it so carnage damage is going to add up real quick. That gives you a high might/int character and fills a companion hole.

In terms of general team strats the main thing you need in PotD is two front line tanks that you can shove into a doorway to keep the rest of your damage dealing and CC'ing party alive. Being able to hold off half a dozen enemies by blocking a doorway/hallway/cave passage makes things a million times easier. If you're going to use the default companions then I would honestly think about using a cheat engine table to nudge their stats in a more min/max-y direction. You don't have to min max to get by on PotD, but having an entire party where everyone is just a bit suboptimal is going to make things noticeably harder than it does on Hard/Normal. You'll really wish you had those extra points in resolve on your tanks or int on your casters during the tougher fights.

Like I said though just sticking two tanks in a doorway is going to get you through most of the game just fine.

I've never had a second-line damage dealer in the party, looks interesting enough that I might want to try it, thanks. I'd rather not cheat in some extra stats but pehaps if things turn too tedious. I just got back into the main game from White March and now I have all these diamond-tipped blades and Ninagauth's spells of doom and death; I only need to glance at groups of enemies for them to keel over. Makes for a nice change in pace compared to the arduous, challenging as well as fun romps in the north, but I hope things get more difficult again once I advance to act 3.

That's really what I'm looking for from PotD, more challenge throughout the game, not just at the start. Perhaps I need to give the IE mod xp nerf a try next run.

rope kid posted:

Prayer against ________ spells now grant full immunity to their afflictions, though the base duration was reduced a bit.

Are they preventative, curative, or both? I could swear I had trouble getting rid of certain afflictions but that might've been before I got the relevant prayers. Or before I understood what the hell I was doing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

OK awesome, from what I remember most of that didn't work before or worked only marginally.

Tried it out a few days ago and it worked great. Makes those fights so much less of a pain in the rear end.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fleve posted:

Are they preventative, curative, or both? I could swear I had trouble getting rid of certain afflictions but that might've been before I got the relevant prayers. Or before I understood what the hell I was doing.

Prayer Against X spells are preventive. Cast them at the start of a battle and they'll give you protection (or full immunity in the next patch, apparently) against their respective status effects. You can also cast Crowns for the Faithful, which gives you 62 Will on top of all other defences. Priests are the king of status protection, which is why I never play without them.

Supress Affliction didn't work against Charm and Dominate, since charmed party members didn't count as allies. Also, Suppress only disables status effects that are already there but not new ones, so it's not that great in fights where you're constantly assaulted (such as against the spores).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh, is there a barbarian companion yet? You can reset their skills right? What about stats?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

rope kid posted:

Very nice. Any chance of other classes getting some better resistance to the more obnoxious effects (beyond scrolls of Priest spells)? One of my favorite things about D&D 4E was how it was no longer ABSOLUTELY loving MANDATORY to have either a Cleric or a fuckton of potions/scrolls in the party, and some status effects in PoE really hurt if you can't counter them immediately, mainly because they last so long. Maybe Constitution could reduce hostile effect durations, like Intellect improves your own?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

rope kid posted:

Cool.

Btw, Liberating Exhortation still doesn't work on Charm etc., right?

Oh, is there a barbarian companion yet? You can reset their skills right? What about stats?
There will be an Aumaua Barbarian NPC in White March 2.
You can only reset what they got from level 2 onwards, so not the stats and first level ability pick.

Edit:

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Very nice. Any chance of other classes getting some better resistance to the more obnoxious effects (beyond scrolls of Priest spells)? One of my favorite things about D&D 4E was how it was no longer ABSOLUTELY loving MANDATORY to have either a Cleric or a fuckton of potions/scrolls in the party, and some status effects in PoE really hurt if you can't counter them immediately, mainly because they last so long. Maybe Constitution could reduce hostile effect durations, like Intellect improves your own?
I was a big fan of that idea when it was first suggested here (was that you?), but I think Con is a strong enough stat now.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 7, 2016

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Wizard Styles posted:

Edit:

I was a big fan of that idea when it was first suggested here (was that you?), but I think Con is a strong enough stat now.

Nah, I'm just another goon who gnashed his teeth and pulled his hair out in frustration at "...and Grazes Eder with additional effect" *checks duration* "Blinded/Terrified/Stunned/whatever: A REAL loving LONG TIME". Prayer Against..., Remove Affliction, and Liberating Exhortation are nice and all, I just wish they weren't absolutely mandatory for getting through some fights, and that more classes had abilities like Clarity of Agony to power through the nastier debuffs with sheer chutzpah.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

Did you move the one that prevents Charm effect? I always felt the Priests got it a little late in the game.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Nah, I'm just another goon who gnashed his teeth and pulled his hair out in frustration at "...and Grazes Eder with additional effect" *checks duration* "Blinded/Terrified/Stunned/whatever: A REAL loving LONG TIME". Prayer Against..., Remove Affliction, and Liberating Exhortation are nice and all, I just wish they weren't absolutely mandatory for getting through some fights, and that more classes had abilities like Clarity of Agony to power through the nastier debuffs with sheer chutzpah.
I mean, I finished PotD without a Paladin or Priest, but I still needed the Suppress Affliction ring (and several sacrificial Blight summons) to not get completely murdered by Cleansing Flame during the final battle. So yeah, even without a Priest I still relied on having a Priest spell ready.

Most if not all other battles I could solve by just having the CC trifecta of Wizard/Cipher/Druid hit the enemies first. Of course, those fights would have been a lot more interesting if both I and those enemies would have had a way to deal with hard CC.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Very nice. Any chance of other classes getting some better resistance to the more obnoxious effects (beyond scrolls of Priest spells)?
As of TWM Pt. II, there are scrolls for all Prayer against _______ spells and Lore can be used by anyone. Chanters get a 4th level Invocation that (among other things) cancels/prevents Frightened/Terrified. Paladins have a new passive ability called Aegis of Loyalty that makes it very difficult for Confused/Charmed/Dominated characters to hit them (lowers Accuracy) and if the paladin hits a teammate under one of those effects, the attack does minimal damage and cancels the affliction.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fleve posted:

I've never had a second-line damage dealer in the party, looks interesting enough that I might want to try it, thanks. I'd rather not cheat in some extra stats but pehaps if things turn too tedious.

Oh I don't mean like give them all 20's across the board. I'm talking about moving their stats up and down so that they reflect the kind of character you would make, ie: stuff like dumping Int on Eder to get more Might or Res. The default companions are ok but their stats also reflect their personalities and aren't meant to be min/maxed. Like I said you don't really need to fudge them, but it's just something to keep in mind if you're going to go with a default companion party.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is chant speed affected by Dex/Action speed at all?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

rope kid posted:

Thank god

Man all these changes sound great.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Fishstick posted:

Is chant speed affected by Dex/Action speed at all?

No

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

This isn't solely related to Pillars, but playing through the Temple of Skaen made me wonder how all of you feel about traps in RPGs. I get that they're a staple of dungeon-delving, but would you say they add anything to the gameplay? From my point of view, they don't seem to accomplish much other than slow you down and force you to invest in Mechanics. Maybe if you could do something more interesting than simply disarm them (turning them against enemies, for instance), they would offer a bit of tactical depth, but as it is, they feel like filler more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
... in PoE you can very specifically use traps you've disarmed against enemies, though, and it's quite strong!

(But you're right, I do think it's cooler in games where you "hack" the trap to target former friendlies or whatever instead)

• Locked thread