Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

rope kid posted:

I'm still a game director at Obsidian.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Congratulations to Rope Kid for banishing fun on an enterprise scale

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
I hate making demands, but my support for future Obsidian projects depends on the availability of a "No Fun Allowed" plushie.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
RPG Codex is currently weeping over Sawyer's ascension. But then again, RPG Codex is the kind of place where the average poster believes white genocide is a thing and thinks D&D Next is good so gently caress em.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

holy poo poo the mountain of salt at RPG Codex is amazing :allears:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...102247/page-429

Yo, Sawyer, perhaps if/when you have the next Kickstarter for PoE 2, you should not take money from or give a cameo to the site full of people who sincerely miss Hitler.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

Yo, Sawyer, perhaps if/when you have the next Kickstarter for PoE 2, you should not take money from or give a cameo to the site full of people who sincerely miss Hitler.

I have to be logged in for this link and there's no way I'm making an account

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Wezlar posted:

I have to be logged in for this link and there's no way I'm making an account

What, afraid of the site that features such enchanting threads with titles such as "Rapefugees invade Germania for tasty Merkel booty - natives kept in check with water cannon" or "Dindus Riot Because Kwa Kops Diddu Sumthin To Dindu Nuffin Who Dindu Nuffin But Point a Gun" or "How does the white genocide that's going on make you feel"? Guess you're not a real RPG gamer, you nerd.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
At the height of the campaign against Siege of Dragonspear for including a trans character and giving Minsc an easter egg line referencing Gamergate I googled the Minsc line because I didn't manage to hear it throughout, at that time, around 20 hours of play.

Of course that ended up taking me to RPGCodex, because of course some Codexer had recorded playing the line in a file browser and uploaded it (I assume he also didn't manage to hear it in-game). Then I made the grave mistake of reading a bit of the thread it was posted in, and what I read was half outrage and half some other Codexer pestering everyone to vote in their "How far would you go with a Ladyboy" thread. Seriously, everyone. It took me half a page until I couldn't really tell if it was a joke anymore.

That's basically how it goes whenever I read even just a handful of Codex posts. Always kinda feels like stepping into dog poo poo three steps out the door.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

SunAndSpring posted:

One of the most active mods there is an Israeli, so...

RPG Codex is...uh... let's be kind and call it a spectrum.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Played Story Mode for shits and giggles and holy hell it is an absolute slaughter fest. I may tear through to the end.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
The one-handed talent still works for sword and boarders, huh? Is there anything at all that one handed characters can do that's interesting?

Trying to find something cool to do with one, but the best I can come up is "equip We Toki, stack as much crit stuff as possible".

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

rope kid posted:

I'm still a game director at Obsidian.

Read a link on your twitter and it looks like you'll have more opportunities to help and refine everything at Obsidian, which sounds pretty rad so congrats!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Snicker-Snack posted:

The one-handed talent still works for sword and boarders, huh? Is there anything at all that one handed characters can do that's interesting?

Trying to find something cool to do with one, but the best I can come up is "equip We Toki, stack as much crit stuff as possible".

They are much better at hitting and critting? +12 accuracy is hardly something to sneeze at, considering how it stacks with everything else it really helps push you into those absurdly high accuracy values.

I basically consider it to only be useful for weapons with really good procs though, for a basic weapon the increase in accuracy/hit chance/crit chance doesn't increase the damage enough compared to dual wielding to be worth it.

What is this "SoD" that Codex is talking about as being so good?

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

What is this "SoD" that Codex is talking about as being so good?

I assume they are talking about "Siege of Dragonspear", the recent expansion to BG:EE.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it normal to be hitting the level cap of 16 before entering the Battery? I've everything else beaten except the Dragons and Concelhaut.

Good lord, do the loading times get worse. I have an 8-year old processor and a 2014 GPU and unlike every other game the performance is bottle-necked by the CPU. I admire Unity for its flexibility but it's way too much of a resource-hog.

For future games I hope there's an easier way of gauging party-members equipment. The active-effects chart tells you what bonuses you have, but they'd be easier to grasp if the information was more visual in a chart like say: Might (Base: 15) Equipment Bonus +2, Rest Bonus +1, Injury Penalty 0, Status Buff +1, Total Might: 18

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Speaking of talents and so on, I'm not actually sure what I should do to build a melee character. Like the Weapon Focus talents seem to be spread over a really wide variety of stuff in each one, which doesn't really help me trying to build a two-hander paladin. I'm trying to finish the game for the first time, so I don't know if there's a good estoc or great sword or whatever I should be aiming for. I guess I should just take two-handed style and then whatever else looks good from there?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad Sawyer is getting more pull, everything he's touched and I've played, I've really enjoyed.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Arivia posted:

Speaking of talents and so on, I'm not actually sure what I should do to build a melee character. Like the Weapon Focus talents seem to be spread over a really wide variety of stuff in each one, which doesn't really help me trying to build a two-hander paladin. I'm trying to finish the game for the first time, so I don't know if there's a good estoc or great sword or whatever I should be aiming for. I guess I should just take two-handed style and then whatever else looks good from there?

It seems like there are more unique Estocs than anything else, so it's hard to go wrong with those.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

There is at least one great unique two-handed weapon for every type (except maybe for quarterstaves), so just pick whatever suits your taste.

Snicker-Snack posted:

The one-handed bonus is alright in the early game if your character wants to make the most out of each individual hit (a Knockdown-focused Fighter, for example). It doesn't scale well into the mid- to late-game though because it never improves while weapons and shields get a ton of cool enhancements. Even a We Toki build would probably benefit more from a Durgan-enhanced small shield since attack speed is harder to come by than Accuracy.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Airfoil posted:

RPG Codex is...uh... let's be kind and call it a spectrum.

The Codex has very similar tastes in RPG to me, so I just tend to keep an eye on the news page as most of it interests me, and ignore the forum nearly entirely (threads about specific old games can be useful/interesting). That's how you read the Codex. :shobon:

The hate for ropekid is a shame, `cause he seems pretty chill and levelheaded.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 19, 2016

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Fintilgin posted:

It's not rational, but also not surprising. When you make a game and sell it heavily as the spiritual successor to a beloved franchise, any deviation from the design of that old franchise is going to cause a nostalgia-fueled shitstorm. A site mostly focused on classic CRPGs is going to be populated by a high percentage of people who don't deal with change well.

Still, as you say, it's by far the best CRPG site available. Highly active, and a fair number of developers lurk and occasionally post there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it normal to be hitting the level cap of 16 before entering the Battery? I've everything else beaten except the Dragons and Concelhaut.

Good lord, do the loading times get worse. I have an 8-year old processor and a 2014 GPU and unlike every other game the performance is bottle-necked by the CPU. I admire Unity for its flexibility but it's way too much of a resource-hog.

For future games I hope there's an easier way of gauging party-members equipment. The active-effects chart tells you what bonuses you have, but they'd be easier to grasp if the information was more visual in a chart like say: Might (Base: 15) Equipment Bonus +2, Rest Bonus +1, Injury Penalty 0, Status Buff +1, Total Might: 18

They do this when you hover over the stat/skill I think.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

2house2fly posted:

They do this when you hover over the stat/skill I think.

Yep, on your character sheet where your stats are listed, click the abbreviated stat (e.g. "Mig") to the left of the stat value itself and it'll break it down for you :)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am playing through the game again though, and I will say that the Battery Sirens in Durgans Battery are some bullshit. They can wipe my whole party by themselves.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!

Fintilgin posted:

Unlike some other forums I could mention, the Codex doesn't require all of its members to share a single opinion on any given topic.
There are quite a few people happy for him in that thread. (some who really liked PoE and even some who didn't)

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Arivia posted:

If you find a weapon you like, or want to concept your character around a weapon type, just take that Weapon Focus, no regrets.

a) You can keep upgrading that weapon with enchantments until it's competitive with anything else in the game, and b) if you find another cool weapon, then just respec your talents, it's pretty cheap.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

JanPospisil posted:

Unlike some other forums I could mention, the Codex doesn't require all of its members to share a single opinion on any given topic.
There are quite a few people happy for him in that thread. (some who really liked PoE and even some who didn't)

I haven't even read that thread, honestly. :shobon:

I've just noticed it pop up in a bunch of random threads over there, with a bunch of weird gossipy fan-fic style theorizing about who hates who over at Obsidian, and who's responsible for what, and other strange ~drama~. :yikes:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Have a question re: Ciphers. I'm using Greiving MOther and I want her to gain focus quickly. I read that you can giver her a blunderbuss and each hit counts as a "hit" and gives focus. But...it doesn't seem to be doing that. She just hit on 5 of her 6 shots and it only gave her like 6 focus. Did they remove that? Should I give her a pistol again for ranged damage?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Jastiger posted:

Have a question re: Ciphers. I'm using Greiving MOther and I want her to gain focus quickly. I read that you can giver her a blunderbuss and each hit counts as a "hit" and gives focus. But...it doesn't seem to be doing that. She just hit on 5 of her 6 shots and it only gave her like 6 focus. Did they remove that? Should I give her a pistol again for ranged damage?

It doesn't do that any more, it was nerfed early on (for obvious reasons).

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Scorchy posted:

It doesn't do that any more, it was nerfed early on (for obvious reasons).

Curses heh. So just give her the fastest item i can find then.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Curses heh. So just give her the fastest item i can find then.

Opening fights with a gunshot and then switching to something faster, like a bow, is a pretty solid way to go.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Even a We Toki build would probably benefit more from a Durgan-enhanced small shield since attack speed is harder to come by than Accuracy.

That's true, though I'm probably going to try a full crit build anyway, given that's basically the only thing one handers have at all over other weapon styles. Maybe one of the annihilation sabres can work too.

You know, It's also kinda annoying that most of the really good proc on crit one handed weapons are only available in act 3 (Godansthunyr, Starcaller, We Toki), with only one exception as far as I know (Cladhaliath), and even then you have to side with a specific faction to get it really early. On the other hand there's some great on crit effects available for two handed and ranged characters that you can get pretty much as soon as you are done with Maerwald or Raedric Hold (Tall Grass, St.Rumbalt, Temaperacl, Borresaine).

Poor one handed characters. :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Snicker-Snack posted:

That's true, though I'm probably going to try a full crit build anyway, given that's basically the only thing one handers have at all over other weapon styles. Maybe one of the annihilation sabres can work too.

You know, It's also kinda annoying that most of the really good proc on crit one handed weapons are only available in act 3 (Godansthunyr, Starcaller, We Toki), with only one exception as far as I know (Cladhaliath), and even then you have to side with a specific faction to get it really early. On the other hand there's some great on crit effects available for two handed and ranged characters that you can get pretty much as soon as you are done with Maerwald or Raedric Hold (Tall Grass, St.Rumbalt, Temaperacl, Borresaine).

Poor one handed characters. :(

I picked up that 1 handed mace for my rogue and it procs blind. Thats pretty bad rear end, its like sneak attacks forever.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Parenthesis posted:

I assume they are talking about "Siege of Dragonspear", the recent expansion to BG:EE.

Having played it, it's certainly ok. Better in terms of pacing at least than Baldur's Gate 2 was, which for a lot of the later chapters felt like it was just adding boring encounters for no reason other than padding. It has some bad writing here and there, but again so did Baldur's Gate 1-2 in places (and it leans a bit too heavily on 2's plothooks).

As for combat and general fun-having, I can't really say much since the character I had imported had overly high stats and gear and just steamrolled all the encounters almost on his lonesome.

And all the while I was thinking "Man, I really wish I was playing Pillars of Eternity instead"

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Heh, the new thread title is a dick joke. Good one.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Thank goodness they introduced all those options to sneak into the Iron Flail fort as opposed to fighting your way in! My main character was easily able to stealth round the patrols, find the back entrance, grappling hook his way over the top, then skulk his way over to the Command Tent...

"...You must gather your party before venturing forth."

:negative:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

You don't want to go in there alone. There are a lot of guys in there and the leader will force you into a dialogue that you are exceedingly unlikely to resolve without violence. I personally just smashed the gates of the fort down, stormed in, and killed everyone. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! :black101:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Yoshimo posted:

Thank goodness they introduced all those options to sneak into the Iron Flail fort as opposed to fighting your way in! My main character was easily able to stealth round the patrols, find the back entrance, grappling hook his way over the top, then skulk his way over to the Command Tent...

"...You must gather your party before venturing forth."

:negative:

Yeah, this seemed like the most half-baked section of the expansion to me.

I was able to transform a party member into a little pig to sneak under the wall and open the back gate... only to end up fighting everyone in the camp. I might as well have used the Forge's cannon's on the front gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can totally sneak everyone through, it's just a bit difficult and annoying. If you've got a scroll to increase your stealth that might help.

Unrelated, I think I've made Hiravias's quest impossible to complete because I went to Blood Sands without him. I brought him back because I thought you just had to read the stone tablets, but nothing happened, so I looked up a guide and it turns out you have to talk to someone first. Someone I killed several hours ago. gently caress you Obsidian for making this quest dependent on talking to a character who automatically goes hostile if you do the one thing you'd ever go to Blood Sands for anyway! Why can't I just read the drat stone tablets?!

Here's an idea: If there is one specific person I have to talk to to advance a quest, and I kill that person without advancing the quest, how about you fail the quest to let me know I just hosed up. This is what Obsidian did in New Vegas. What Obsidian also did in New Vegas was very rarely make a quest depend entirely on talking to one specific person.

Edit: it actually isn't Obsidian who are the incompetent stupid idiots, it was the writer of that guide. There's another NPC you can talk to, who I haven't already killed :waycool:

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 20, 2016

• Locked thread