Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
To be honest, I've been kind of unimpressed with the Druid post 1.06. Until level 7, the class just lacks the raw damage-dealing potential it had before, and it isn't until level 9 that it really takes off. There are still strong Druid spells even at lower levels, but to me the class mostly feels like an inferior Wizard now until pretty late in the game.

Part of my problem could just be comparing it to the Wizard, of course, which I'm pretty sure is the most powerful class in the game now.

Edit: Also, I feel like mentioning that post-nerf Stag's Horn has pretty consistently been worse than my Rogue doing a Crippling Strike with one of her two Sabres. That was one of my favorite spells in my first playthrough. :arghfist:

bunnielab posted:

Awesome info, thanks!
Two more things I forgot about Barbarians:
First, there's an ability called Brute Force that allows you to attack the Fortitude defense instead of Deflection with weapon attacks. It's not worth it, or at least I'm absolutely convinced it isn't. Most enemies have higher Fortitude than Deflection, and the best debuffs lower Deflection. Also, lowering Deflection benefits everyone with a weapon.
Second, get two points of Lore and try using a Jolting Touch scroll on an enemy.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Wizard Styles posted:

Two more things I forgot about Barbarians:
First, there's an ability called Brute Force that allows you to attack the Fortitude defense instead of Deflection with weapon attacks. It's not worth it, or at least I'm absolutely convinced it isn't. Most enemies have higher Fortitude than Deflection, and the best debuffs lower Deflection. Also, lowering Deflection benefits everyone with a weapon.
Second, get two points of Lore and try using a Jolting Touch scroll on an enemy.

Take it a step further and give your barbarian all of your jolting touch granting items. It's a wonderful way to clear out all of the trash mobs in a large fight.

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015
Druid spells should be weaker since they have shapeshift. What they should do is make shapeshift worth a drat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like they made shapeshifting suck because you can cast spells while shifted, but there's nothing interesting about being able to shift into "kind of a suckier fighter I guess" when you're already a great caster class. Being able to choose between being a Fire Elemental or casting awesome spells would be better than "a casting bear?!?!?!"

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Spiritshifting would be fine if it got a leveling accuracy bonus imo. The weapon damage is already really high, but that lovely caster base accuracy is just not good enough.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Shape shift is basically druid equivalent to arcane assault or whatever. Useful early in the game and plummets from there

oh yeah also to do this:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Which classes have people tried to solo with? I've tried monk and cipher and monk seemed much stronger between the two.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Rascyc posted:

They sort of used to and sort of not. It's inconsistent across spells. I don't get the system myself. Like the marksman talent doesn't work in the current patched game like it used to at launch for spells.

Same with elf racial.

Every now and then it'll seem to work but I think it's something else.
I don't know about the wood elf racial talent, but the Marksman talent specifically says in the description that it's ranged weapons. So if it was affecting spells it was probably a bug.

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015

Rascyc posted:

Shape shift is basically druid equivalent to arcane assault or whatever. Useful early in the game and plummets from there

oh yeah also to do this:

Except it has an entire line of talents devoted to it.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Hey, have patches since 1.03 improved the lagginess for lower end computers? I didn't understand why painted backgrounds and a couple non anti aliased characters make my ultraportable lag perceptibly, and chug if there's even a few sprites thrown around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kafka Esq. posted:

Hey, have patches since 1.03 improved the lagginess for lower end computers? I didn't understand why painted backgrounds and a couple non anti aliased characters make my ultraportable lag perceptibly, and chug if there's even a few sprites thrown around.

On our lower end laptop, some games made in Unity (I've noticed it with this one and Magic 2015) that launch through Steam will randomly perform better/worse with no rhyme or reason. It's slowly driving me mad, as I know a decent bit about computers and can't find any consistent fix to make the games always run with maximum frame/refresh rates. Sometimes there's a little lag that lasts the whole session, sometimes there is absolutely none for the whole session.

:iiam: indeed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think in the event of a sequel they could have quests that inter-connect all the towns and hubs. Having little arcs like delivering a package from Town A to Town B or scouring the countryside in search of a serial killer would make the game feel more dynamic. A downside of the three-act structure in Pillars is that you can wrap all your business in a hub in the one go and are given little reason to return, the exceptions being the Undead Raedric quest and the plotless bounty missions. Defiance Bay and its peoples feel irrelevant in Act 3 and the events of Twin Elms are deemed so inconsequential that they don't have ending slides. A little more back-and-forth can keep these places fresh in the player's mind.

Back-tracking works when it helps players forge a connection with the places they visit, in the Baldur's Gate 2 sense, not the Broken Age sense.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I think the IE games mostly never gave you new reasons to return to places once you finish all the initial quest offerings. I can't think of any cases in BG where this happened, in BGII the only ones that come to mind are in Athkatla and even then I think it may just be me not having finished all the quests the first time I was there.

I agree that there could have been more quests that started in one hub and continued/ended in another, though.

All in all I am really happy with the game and I'm also happy to see so much criticism of the mechanics and design. The tone of some of the criticism feels like "the experiment has failed, pack it in", which is disappointing to me. I really, really hope that Obsidian keep making PoE games and refining the formula as they go.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are some good talents for Hiravius? I'm mostly using him as a ranged nuker in place of Aloth since Aloth never says anything.

None of the class talents really seem to apply and I'm hesitant to get him the +shock damage talent since that only applies to his first level spell; and lightning call I guess.

Edit: On a related note, are arquebuses good for anything? That talent of Durance's that gives +10 accuracy looks pretty sweet but base -5 accuracy and reduced crit damage from the arqubuse looks awful.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 25, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

precision posted:

I don't know who at Obsidian loves Druids but I'm not complaining. Druids are by far the most fun and useful casters in the game.

I'm honestly not feeling why people love druids so much. They really do just seem like less-good Wizards to me. Wizards can deal just as much damage but have better crowd control.

Also, imo priests are way more useful as casters than druids as well. Buffs, debuffs, spell-traps, negating charmed/dominated/confused and other afflictions, and a variety of neat little priest-type talents. What's not to love?

Don't get me wrong, I think druids are alright, but I definitely consider one of my non-essential party classes.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0GvsA6exuY

Obsidian released a video talking about some of the content of the 2.0 patch, which will come with the release of The White March. This patch will be available for everyone, even people who don't buy the expac.

Patch 2.0 brings Party AI, individual stealth, range indicators for spells and weapons, and accuracy indicators. These were all things mentioned in the previews, but it's nice to know that everyone gets them.

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
I may have missed discussion of The White March somewhere back, but one thing I really hope is that apart from some sort of starting "base camp", the rest of the adventure in this expansion should be inaccessible via fast travel.

If this expansion hopes to capture the feeling of IWD - my first infinity engine game actually, with a special place in my heart - it would need to create a sense of being truly isolated and far from safety and civilisation. If I can do a dungeon here or there then pop back to my bloody castle to rest in my luxurious bed whenever I want, there's no way it will create the same sort of feeling of desparation, desolation, survival in a harsh land... and careful resource management - watch those camping supplies! I want to be down to my very last spells, my characters holding onto a thread of health battle to battle as I try to make it to the next safe resting spot.

Otherwise, it will just be a nice little adventure in some snowy places.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

LLSix posted:

What are some good talents for Hiravius? I'm mostly using him as a ranged nuker in place of Aloth since Aloth never says anything.

None of the class talents really seem to apply and I'm hesitant to get him the +shock damage talent since that only applies to his first level spell; and lightning call I guess.

The two storm spells are really good and you'll be spamming the poo poo out of dancing bolts once you get to level 9 so you may as well take it.

I'd take:

scion of flame
heart of the storm
wildstrike fire
two weapon style
greater wildstrike
weapon focus peasant

The order would depend on difficulty and what you want him to do.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sole Survivor posted:

Obsidian released a video talking about some of the content of the 2.0 patch, which will come with the release of The White March. This patch will be available for everyone, even people who don't buy the expac.

Patch 2.0 brings Party AI, individual stealth, range indicators for spells and weapons, and accuracy indicators. These were all things mentioned in the previews, but it's nice to know that everyone gets them.
Something not covered in the update/video because it's not a super high profile feature is that we can scale base abilities and weapons much more easily now, so things like Holy Radiance, Arcane Assault, and Spiritshift weapons/armor can become more powerful as the character gains levels. These updates will also be in the next patch.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The two storm spells are really good and you'll be spamming the poo poo out of dancing bolts once you get to level 9 so you may as well take it.

I'd take:

scion of flame
heart of the storm
wildstrike fire
two weapon style
greater wildstrike
weapon focus peasant

The order would depend on difficulty and what you want him to do.

This is pretty close to what I'd take and it was more than enough. There just isn't much to do with a mobile weapons platform class. Hope they add more interesting talents for spell casting.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Are poison cloud traps supposed to have a minimum of 1000 points of raw damage? No wonder it instakilled my dudes the one time I wandered into one...

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Diomedes posted:

I may have missed discussion of The White March somewhere back, but one thing I really hope is that apart from some sort of starting "base camp", the rest of the adventure in this expansion should be inaccessible via fast travel.

If this expansion hopes to capture the feeling of IWD - my first infinity engine game actually, with a special place in my heart - it would need to create a sense of being truly isolated and far from safety and civilisation. If I can do a dungeon here or there then pop back to my bloody castle to rest in my luxurious bed whenever I want, there's no way it will create the same sort of feeling of desparation, desolation, survival in a harsh land... and careful resource management - watch those camping supplies! I want to be down to my very last spells, my characters holding onto a thread of health battle to battle as I try to make it to the next safe resting spot.

Otherwise, it will just be a nice little adventure in some snowy places.

Except for that brief moment in Kuldahar Pass and the Easthaven endgame, you could backtrack to Kuldahar at any time.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I missed Kickstarter updates: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80445-update-99-announcing-the-expansion-and-update-20/

quote:

Hey everyone. I'm Justin Britch and I'm the new task master for the Pillars of Eternity expansion. I have been at Obsidian for over two years now and have spent most of that time supporting the production teams all over the company. Bug reports, task tracking, and updates to production tools has been my life at Obsidian up until recently, but I'm excited jump into the fray.

Announcing the White March, Part I

We have an expansion to show you! Pillars of Eternity: The White March - Part I is going to add additional character levels, spells, talents, areas, items, and companions to Pillars of Eternity. The expansion will come in two parts, and backers who already purchased the expansion will receive both part I and II. We will be announcing the release date soon, but the part I is not in the far future.

New Companions

The expansion will include two new companions: Zahua (the monk shown on the cover of the game and formerly known as Forton) and the Devil of Caroc (a rogue). Here is a brief description from Eric and Carrie who are writing them.

Zahua

From Eric Fenstermaker:

Zahua comes from an agrarian people known as the Tacan that dwells in the Ixamitl (ih-SHAH-mitt -ull) Plains to the north. (You may have known him as Forton once, but we renamed him to reflect his region of origin.) He belongs to the Nalpazca, a strict order of warrior-monks that constitutes the Tacan's standing army.

The Nalpazca distinguish between the material world and the imagined world of perceptions, feelings, and false structures, seeing the latter as the limiting force that prevents a person's transcendence. They employ extreme practices to remain ever-conscious of what is truly real, and are known for exhibiting bizarre anti-social behavior in public settings, consuming powerful hallucinogenic drugs, and inflicting great pain upon themselves, all so as to allow themselves to "see more clearly." There are even rumored to ritualistically cannibalize the flesh of the recent dead so that they might come to terms with their own mortality, though such rumors have the ring of superstition.

Zahua is the greatest living practitioner of Nalpazca beliefs, and even as you meet him, he is in continual pursuit of their ideals, which he believes will transform him into an unbeatable combatant. Above all, he believes in suffering as the path to enlightenment, and nearly every inch of his body is covered in scars - mostly self-inflicted. While some might see that as a grim or depressing viewpoint, from Zahua's perspective, suffering is a thing of beauty, to be admired and revered, and he is often able to appreciate situations that would dishearten most others. (Perhaps with a little too much cheer for some people's taste.)

The player will meet and get to know Zahua as a party member in White March Part I, and then his vision quest will come into focus later, in Part II.

The Devil of Caroc

From Carrie Patel:

The Devil of Caroc is a bronze golem inhabited by the soul of a convicted murderer. She's ruthless and relentless, yet something about the player piques her interest when they first meet.

The Devil was once a trapper in Cold Morn, a village that became notorious for its role in the Saint's War. When she and her neighbors let the Readceran troops pass through town unopposed, they became a symbol of treachery and cowardice throughout Dyrwood. The Purges that swept the country began in Cold Morn, and everyone the Devil ever knew perished when an angry mob burned the village to the ground. The Devil survived and sought revenge on the men and women who set her home ablaze.

She's still a rustic at heart, but her crude manners belie cunning and a cynical sense of humor.

Update 2.0 New Features

The White March is also going to introduce a few new features and quality of life improvement options. These updates will be given to everyone, not just people who purchase the expansion. Adam created a video showing off some of these new features:

DVDs and DVD Updates

Note from Brandon:

Hey, folks. Paradox has informed us that they have shipped DVDs to all addresses on record. If you have not received your game DVD or an email confirming that your game DVD is on its way, please contact our support and we will get you in touch with a Paradox representative.

We are also putting the finishing touches on a 1.04 to 1.06 DVD update, as well. We hope to have that out to you guys in the next week or so.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Will the new companions have "content" (reaction dialogue and the like) in the main game as well or are they relegated to the xpac? Do you have to enter the expansion area to find them or are they placed out in the existing world?

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015
Man, who cares about party AI? When are they gonna talk about enemy AI improvements? These mooks need to use more abilities, weaken/exploit player defenses, etc.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DrShevek posted:

Man, who cares about party AI? When are they gonna talk about enemy AI improvements? These mooks need to use more abilities, weaken/exploit player defenses, etc.
Implementing party AI helped us improve enemy AI as well. Even in the base game, enemies tend to use more of their abilities (and more intelligently).

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Well if the player can now have a sneaky backstab rogue invisible while the party engages, it seems like that is something you will have to watch out for as well.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rope kid posted:

Implementing party AI helped us improve enemy AI as well. Even in the base game, enemies tend to use more of their abilities (and more intelligently).

that's cool to hear cause I also would much rather see enemy AI improved over party AI. I'm not too interested in party AI at all actually. Mainly cause I think it's fun to control the entire party instead of just one character but it's good that it's a step towards improving enemy AI

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Will the new companions have "content" (reaction dialogue and the like) in the main game as well or are they relegated to the xpac? Do you have to enter the expansion area to find them or are they placed out in the existing world?
The new companions have reactions in the main game areas. Also, the original companions have reactions in the expansion areas and banter with the expansion companions. The expansion companions are in the expansion areas but can be taken back to the original game areas.

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015

rope kid posted:

Awesome, thats good to hear.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

How many expansions are planned?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

rope kid posted:

The new companions have reactions in the main game areas. Also, the original companions have reactions in the expansion areas and banter with the expansion companions. The expansion companions are in the expansion areas but can be taken back to the original game areas.

My god I hope they get some lines in the big climactic final dungeon conversations, that would be the sweetest.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

White Phosphorus posted:

How many expansions are planned?
Scuttlebutt from around the time of release said two but that could very well refer to the White March split.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Is Calisca meant to go hostile when you attack the caravan at the start or not? I just tried this and she went hostile, ran off and saved/loaded, and she was friendly and back in the party again. I mean, definitely a bug, but which is the intended sequence of events?

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is Calisca meant to go hostile when you attack the caravan at the start or not? I just tried this and she went hostile, ran off and saved/loaded, and she was friendly and back in the party again. I mean, definitely a bug, but which is the intended sequence of events?

Why wouldnt she go hostile? She is part of the caravan.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

DrShevek posted:

Why wouldnt she go hostile? She is part of the caravan.

I don't know, but she goes friendly and rejoins your party after you save/reload.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
One of the things that keep me wondering is how these "soulbound weapons" work. Partly because the backer content, there are not so many weapons which let the players feel attached to special weapons. Some people told how they miss the special weapons such as Holy Avengers, Lilarcor and Crom Faeyr. No mention about crafting system update, so, I guess they are most likely to be special weapons which feel more woven to the main plot and the protagonist, which could explain why the devs seem to be tight-lipped with the actual presentation of them.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Is there a class that can allow me to play as like a duelist one-hander and keep up the damage? I hear the only benefit to that is accuracy, but all the recommendations I've found are pretty old.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We weren't really tight-lipped about soulbound weapons. We talked about them at length during our presentations. Here are their basic features:

* Examining one shows that they are a soulbinding weapon and lists what classes it can bind to. In place of an Enchant button, they have a button to bind the weapon to the soul of the character whose inventory it is currently in. If a class isn't on the binding list, it can't be bound to that character. Binding doesn't mean the character is forced to use or equip that weapon, but while it's bound to the character, they're the only one who can use it and advance its powers. You can sever the binding if you like, but you will lose all progress on the weapon (it warns you of this).

* Soulbound weapons have a larger examine window that includes a pen and ink style illustration of the weapon.

* Soulbound weapons automatically qualify for any weapon focus/specialization/mastery type talents or abilities you have. E.g., if you have a fighter with WF, WS, and WM in Ruffian, those all apply to St. Ydwen's Redeemer (the soulbinding great sword we demoed) even though great swords are in the Soldier group.

* A bound weapon will display what you need to do to unlock additional powers. Each time you unlock a power, you also gain more lore on the weapon and what the next goal is. The capstone power(s) always complete the lore.

* One of the powers on a soulbound weapon is always class-specific. St. Ydwen's Redeemer has different powers for fighters, paladins, and barbarians.

* Though several of the new unique weapons have "spellchance" powers (more momentous procs that go off on a percentage of Hits and Crits), all soulbound weapons have one.

* Soulbound weapons cannot be enchanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is there a class that can allow me to play as like a duelist one-hander and keep up the damage? I hear the only benefit to that is accuracy, but all the recommendations I've found are pretty old.

Yeah more accuracy means stacking crit focused abilities will be more effective, and also means you can tack on modals that subtract accuracy without fear. Probably more effective on PotD since you're going up against higher defenses.

Here's my duelist monk build if it helps:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=468667691
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=468667674

• Locked thread