Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThermosAquaticus posted:

How do people deal with Ogre Druids now that Suppress Affliction is weaker?

Focus-fire and pray, mostly. Those things were the bane of my early Endless Paths days. It got better when I could reliably open the fight by Whispers of Treason-ing one with my Cipher, but even then, it got iffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Hold a rogue/monk w/summon items back at their flak, then give them the bums rush once everyone is stuck in melee.

This does require micro-ing the gently caress out of said rouge/monk though, they will die so fast if you neglect them.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't remember Suppress Afliction being nerfed, but the most reliable strategy for Ogre encounters is usually mind-affecting spells. Their Will isn't great, and they can do a lot of damage to each other if you turn them. If it's specifically Plague of Insects that's giving you trouble, spreading out your party members and stacking Fortitude works as well.

In general, don't underestimate the power of scrolls and spellcasting items. There are a lot of those in the game and they can make a huge difference.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Consecrated Ground does a good job of mitigating the damage. It's a great, if boring spell in just about any battle once you get the positioning right.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't remember Suppress Afliction being nerfed, but the most reliable strategy for Ogre encounters is usually mind-affecting spells. Their Will isn't great, and they can do a lot of damage to each other if you turn them. If it's specifically Plague of Insects that's giving you trouble, spreading out your party members and stacking Fortitude works as well.

In general, don't underestimate the power of scrolls and spellcasting items. There are a lot of those in the game and they can make a huge difference.

Slicken seems to work consistently on them also.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, I'm doing a run with the only spellcaster being a chanter and I'm just scrolling it up.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Slicken seems to work consistently on them also.

That's your solution for everything!

But yeah, their Reflex is just as bad as their Will, so any disables targeting that defence work as well.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Confuse the non-Druid Ogres, run away, watch them waste their most dangerous spells on their buddies.
(Ogre Druids don't actually belong to the Druid class, so they only get one cast of Plague and the AoE knockdown spell per encounter iirc.)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's your solution for everything!

But yeah, their Reflex is just as bad as their Will, so any disables targeting that defence work as well.

I can't help it. It's the most obscenely overpowered spell :v:.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Are there any disabling spells targeting Reflex besides Slicken?
The Druid Storm spells do, but they don't let you pick which enemies to target.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wizard Styles posted:

Are there any disabling spells targeting Reflex besides Slicken?
The Druid Storm spells do, but they don't let you pick which enemies to target.

Ninagauth's Shadowflame targets reflex. Also freezing pillar though I think that only hobbles enemies.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Only the damaging part of Ninagauth's goes against Reflex, the Paralyse effect still has to go against Fortitude. Same with the Druid's Storm spells.

The only ability besides Slicken I can recall off the top of my head is the Ranger's Binding Roots, which inflicts Stuck.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
After many more hours spent, I'm still enjoying this, save for one fight which was loving obnoxious and not at all good: the Adra Dragon fight. I died to this about 8 or 9 times before I got lucky and easily defeated it without anyone going down. I don't know what I did differently that made this time go differently, other than maybe being a bit more fastidious against keeping the anti-fear buff up. For whatever reason, the dragon didn't use her breath attack more than once or twice and the wall of draining I dropped did far more work than it had in previous fights. Not a very satisfying win.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Only the damaging part of Ninagauth's goes against Reflex, the Paralyse effect still has to go against Fortitude. Same with the Druid's Storm spells.

The only ability besides Slicken I can recall off the top of my head is the Ranger's Binding Roots, which inflicts Stuck.

Ah. I hadn't even realized Pillars could do two separate saves in one spell like that. The more ya know.

Neurosis posted:

After many more hours spent, I'm still enjoying this, save for one fight which was loving obnoxious and not at all good: the Adra Dragon fight. I died to this about 8 or 9 times before I got lucky and easily defeated it without anyone going down. I don't know what I did differently that made this time go differently, other than maybe being a bit more fastidious against keeping the anti-fear buff up. For whatever reason, the dragon didn't use her breath attack more than once or twice and the wall of draining I dropped did far more work than it had in previous fights. Not a very satisfying win.

My strategy is to talk to her and then sprint to the left right at the start of the fight. She will do her wing buffet attack but because I moved the party away it won't hit anybody at the start. Plus I'll have about 5-10 seconds of free buffing before her and her minions close the distance on me. After that it's about positioning and making sure to exploit her weaknesses. She is for example vulnerable to paralyze and once you can land a few of those on her and are properly buffed you will be able to go to town on her pretty well.

Dragons more than any other enemy require you to look at what they are vulnerable to and make damned sure you're solid with your positioning. If you try to just out last them it's going to be difficult.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So can anyone spoil me on what impact the decision with the White Forge actually does? Irritatingly, theres no very clear explanations that I can find on the internet. All I can gather is that binding them to the Forge gives you a discount and setting them free does something at the end of WM2? But you can get around that easily with certain things.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Nephthys posted:

So can anyone spoil me on what impact the decision with the White Forge actually does? Irritatingly, theres no very clear explanations that I can find on the internet. All I can gather is that binding them to the Forge gives you a discount and setting them free does something at the end of WM2? But you can get around that easily with certain things.

I chose to bind them to the cannons. Doing so gave me an ability during the final WM2 area which let me basically shoot them a few times per rest at enemies for a good deal of damage. I assume though I'm not sure that you don't get that option unless you bind them to the cannons

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Binding them to the forge lets you durgan-enhance stuff for one less ingot; I think you get the cannons in WM2 no matter what. Releasing their souls potentially lets you encounter them reborn as lagufaeth at the end of WM2 where they're one of several options for you to avoid dying- the others include having Con of 19, having the bubble helmet, or being personally rescued by Ondra somehow but I don't know how you get that and only know of it because I poked around the conversation files.

What I really want to know is how to get the happy ending in WM2. I've seen people say you need to just kill the Iron Flail, which seems like a shame because they're not such a bad bunch.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

5 bears with master's call is pretty funny, especially considering how good their stealth is.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm in act 3, and without any spoilers, does the game make it obvious when there is a point of no return? If there is one at all?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

There's a literal textbox notifying you when you've reached the point of no return. The game also creates a special autosave at that point, so you can always go back unless you're playing Trial of Iron.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Binding them to the forge lets you durgan-enhance stuff for one less ingot; I think you get the cannons in WM2 no matter what. Releasing their souls potentially lets you encounter them reborn as lagufaeth at the end of WM2 where they're one of several options for you to avoid dying- the others include having Con of 19, having the bubble helmet, or being personally rescued by Ondra somehow but I don't know how you get that and only know of it because I poked around the conversation files.

What I really want to know is how to get the happy ending in WM2. I've seen people say you need to just kill the Iron Flail, which seems like a shame because they're not such a bad bunch.

my ending in white march was pretty happy while sparing the iron flail.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Samuel Clemens posted:

There's a literal textbox notifying you when you've reached the point of no return. The game also creates a special autosave at that point, so you can always go back unless you're playing Trial of Iron.

I really appreciate that. I also like that Obsidian knew that some players would do the White March before act 3, and they give you the option to make act 3 (as well as White March itself) level scaled.

You're my favorite everything, Rope kid.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a surprising number of people who just went ahead and deleted that pre-endgame auto save and then went and posted on the Obsidian forums when the expansion came out, "I'm in the final dungeon, how do I get to the White March?"

Roobanguy posted:

my ending in white march was pretty happy while sparing the iron flail.
Can you roughly summarise how you handled quests if you remember? I snuck into the camp and talked down the leader, then at the White Forge I told everyone we need to band together against the big threat etc and the ending I got was the Iron Flail kept making trouble and it took many years for peace to return

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Josh Sawyer braved an over 2 hour interview with someone from RPG Codex at GDC Europe 2016. I think originally in German? Well the guy got fired/left RPG Codex? Anyway, here’s the LENGTHY transcription of the interview.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

2house2fly posted:

This is from rooting around the quest files and changing a few global variables/quest endings in the console, so take this with a grain of salt.

Basically, you need to get two 'wins' in the debate in each category; the dangers of knowledge, the burden of knowledge and the potential of being stuck in the past. There's 4 possibilities each for the latter two, I think- Peace with the Readcerans I think cuts off one but if you gave either Zahua or Maneha a 'move on from the past' ending you should be fine (Maneha seems to work regardless but that might be a bug)- but the dangers one only has 3.

You have to either:
-Have Aloth talk about the Leaden Key and the importance of keeping secrets. Does not work if you've convinced him to be less of an elitist elven pillock, I think, judging from the aloth_authoritarian calls in the script;
-Talk about the dangers of animancy. They will accuse you of being a hypocrite if you were gung-ho pro animancy in the hearings, allowed the forge knight production to continue, or irritatingly if you only did the first forge knight quest then went with another faction;
-The dangers of the Forge.They will accuse you of hypocrisy if you bound the souls to the forge or the cannons.

So finishing Act 2, depending on your character, can easily make that part impossible.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
What the heck is a blobber?

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

ccubed posted:

Well the guy got fired/left RPG Codex?

I never held a position there, I just permanently left the forums.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Oasx posted:

An overweight blogger? :shrug:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I love Crazy Uncle Durance.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
First-person perspective yet party-based

Wizardry, Might & Magic, etc...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

ccubed posted:

Josh Sawyer braved an over 2 hour interview with someone from RPG Codex at GDC Europe 2016. I think originally in German?
No, it was in English. I'm not so fluent in German that I could give a two hour interview of any depth.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

2house2fly posted:

There's a surprising number of people who just went ahead and deleted that pre-endgame auto save and then went and posted on the Obsidian forums when the expansion came out, "I'm in the final dungeon, how do I get to the White March?"
Can you roughly summarise how you handled quests if you remember? I snuck into the camp and talked down the leader, then at the White Forge I told everyone we need to band together against the big threat etc and the ending I got was the Iron Flail kept making trouble and it took many years for peace to return

its been a long while so i don't remember. sorry. :(

I know I convinced the iron flail that they were being misled and that the keep wasn't a threat to them and that they read my soul and knew what kind of person i was and that they could trust me, and because i had a high benevolence they trusted me

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I had great fun murdering all the mercenaries. I made sure to search the camp thoroughly for survivors before confronting their leader, just in case their hostility turned out to be a big misunderstanding incited by a mutual enemy.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Running through the Copperlane Catacombs, and literally every single black ooze has targeted Durance with Spit at the start of each encounter. It isn't challenging, since they are just trash mobs, it's just unrealistic and a little silly. How does an ooze know how to target a priest, or what a priest is? There's 5 people running about in front of him. Going to have to rest soon, despite barely having used any per rest abilities, since Durance has burned through about 300 health.

Ok, enough of the hissyfit. It feels like these encounters needed better positioning, not AI. Maybe an ambush where the oozes drop from the ceiling or crawl out of the water.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Running through the Copperlane Catacombs, and literally every single black ooze has targeted Durance with Spit at the start of each encounter. It isn't challenging, since they are just trash mobs, it's just unrealistic and a little silly. How does an ooze know how to target a priest, or what a priest is? There's 5 people running about in front of him. Going to have to rest soon, despite barely having used any per rest abilities, since Durance has burned through about 300 health.

Ok, enough of the hissyfit. It feels like these encounters needed better positioning, not AI. Maybe an ambush where the oozes drop from the ceiling or crawl out of the water.

Actually, I seem to recall oozes having unexpectedly high intellect.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Node posted:

I really appreciate that. I also like that Obsidian knew that some players would do the White March before act 3, and they give you the option to make act 3 (as well as White March itself) level scaled.

That's why we love Obsidian. The little details.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

AI targets characters for a number of reasons. A lot of them are set to target the character in your party with the lowest deflection/defence or lowest endurance or DR or some combination of the above.

If you find he's getting ganked, rather than having durance attack with a ranged weapon load him up with a heavy shield and a hatchet and slightly heavier armour, and then focus on defensive spells which won't be affected by the accuracy penalty. You should notice a big difference in terms of what the AI targets. Then, switch up to a ranged weapon when you aren't fighting enemies that do this.

Before they fixed the AI in this game in version 1.5 (I think?) the AI was dumb as nails and you could use tank and spank tactics. It's so much better/unpredictable now.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

How does an ooze know how to target a priest, or what a priest is? There's 5 people running about in front of him.

The same way you do. Hovering over the character and looking at the stat screen. :v:

Seriously, though, the easiest way to avoid this problem is to have everyone but your meatiest characters stealthed at the beginning of combat. The slimes have a cooldown on their spitting attack, so if they use it on Eder or whoemever, they won't be able to do it again for Durance.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oasx posted:

Yeah I read that and it seemed like something the Codex made up themselves and refused to describe the meaning of, or they were just pulling Josh's tail with a fake word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Entropy238 posted:

Before they fixed the AI in this game in version 1.5 (I think?) the AI was dumb as nails and you could use tank and spank tactics. It's so much better/unpredictable now.

I'm going to take issue with the bolded part :v:

Samuel Clemens posted:

The same way you do. Hovering over the character and looking at the stat screen. :v:

Seriously, though, the easiest way to avoid this problem is to have everyone but your meatiest characters stealthed at the beginning of combat. The slimes have a cooldown on their spitting attack, so if they use it on Eder or whoemever, they won't be able to do it again for Durance.

Yeah, that and crowd control has been sufficient in the challenging fights so far and I could always slap some armour on the squishy pcs, as mentioned. Honestly I think the improvements to AI are good overall, but tactical oozes stretches credulity a bit too far. It's something I would expect in a difficulty mod, not the base game.

• Locked thread