Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Don't have time to dive in right now but this game already looks boss as gently caress. All those races and classes to choose from....I'm not going to get sleep tonight, am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is the combat hard in this, or do I just suck? I'm experienced with IE games and I'm playing on hard but I'm getting tooled up in that temple that's in that first village you get to. I have me (cipher) Bruce Willis looking guy, and that elf wizard. Just doesn't seem like I can do enough damage to the enemies in there and meanwhile they slaughter me quickly.

Did I just wander somewhere I shouldn't have? I'm level 2.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips. I actually just got a level 2 cipher since I just hit l3 so now I can paralyze poo poo which seems super strong so far. I could definitely use a Priest, though. Bruce Willis is tankin' pretty well though and the wizard is nice for burst dps though the spell limit is somewhat concerning at times.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Liking my Cipher so far. The stun/charm abilities are quite strong. Only issue is finding a way to generate focus. When I wade into battle to fight I die almost instantly if anything aggros on me. I've tried plinking away with a xbow but it doesn't seem to generate focus all that quickly. Maybe I just need to buy one of the better ones I just unlocked at the Blacksmith. Can't quite afford one yet, though. But either way I'm not sure how to do a melee focused Cipher. Wear big armor I guess and maybe try to get some defensive abilities (are they any,. I haven't looked?). I'm wondering if having slower casting times would even be a problem for a Cipher since they spam spells much less than a Cleric/Wiz would due to the need to get focus.

I've also had some trouble keep that elf wizard alive since enemies seem to love ignoring my other guys to bum rush him. I can somewhat mitigate that with the hold spell from my cipher/cleric. Maybe I need to learn some defensive spells with the wizard. I still haven't beaten that temple below the Gilded Vale. I tried recruiting a Priest from the inn but it was still too hard. Those second floor shades are murder. Maybe I'll be able to handle it with six.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dropbear posted:

Speaking of questionable design decisions, the maps being littered with huge trees, walls and other foreground elements is really annoying since your characters don't seem to have opaque circles or somesuch around them when they're behind foreground elements (at least I didn't find an option). It's hard enough to see what's going on beneath all the massive particle effects in normal fights, forcing something extra on top of that is just bizarre. Like so:

Other than that, game seems decent enough so far, with some gripes here and there (poorly explained mechanics with some abilities etc)! My fights have almost always devolved into a big clusterfuck where I just fire everything that doesn't have friendly fire in the middle and hope for the best, but it has worked so far (on hard). Hope it gets more tactical than that later on.

Maybe my party is weaker than yours but I've found it necessary to be quite tactical so far (also playing on hard) otherwise I wipe constantly. If I don't control the battlefield properly I get murdered in short order.

For me, hold spells are terrific. The level one priest spell "halt" is amazing for battlefield control, and my Cipher's level 2 paralyze ability is absolutely invaluable for keeping tougher monsters locked down. I think my party may be lacking a bit of DPS right now though. I have Eder who is usually tanking with defensive stance on, plus a priest I created and that hobo priest Durance. Those three are fairly strong meatshields but don't seem to do a lot damage. Still with Eder flanked by two priests I have fairly good survivability up front. They're backed up by my Cipher and Aloth.

I need a sixth party member. I'll probably try to grab a rogue NPC if I can find one, or maybe create one. I finally finished that Eothas temple in Gilded Vale. That place was tough. My main strategy in there tended to be to hold enemies at doorway choke points and hope for the best. I was proud of how I handled that big group of Skulks or whatever. I strategically kept the tougher ones pinned down with magic and used a combination of paralyze/halt/that priest glyph spell that knocks people down to control the battlefield.

I probably need to use that charm spell more. I keep forgetting I have it. Right now with my Cipher I just get so caught up in spamming paralyze because it's so powerful, but charm is rather nifty too. I'm just not building focus enough to cast many spells in battle, though. Part of that is I have lovely starter weapons still at level 3. The Blacksmith in GV has access to a nice looking xbow now that I did his quest but I can't afford it just yet. That would probably help a lot with Focus generation.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My Cipher seems pretty diesel. Mind blades + that paralyze spell are my bread and butter and both are extremely powerful abilities. I also took extra focus so I have 30 focus right at the start of fights as a level 4 Cipher and so I can immediately spam two level two focus abilities. That's tough for most groups of enemies to deal with.

Ciphers own.

Of course I do die super super fast if anything engages me in melee. I'm currently just wearing robes - maybe I should opt for heavier armor since Ciphers cast less spells per combat than the other casters do? What do you guys that play Ciphers wear as far as armor?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is there an ideal time to check out the Endless paths? I'm about level 8 now and working my way through Act 2. I haven't touched Endless Paths yet. I assume there's a tier of difficulty where I could do certain floors at my level but not all of it?

Druids seem really cool by the way. I just found the Orlan today and it seems like quite a cool class. Very versatile between the shapeshift and the solid spell list. Actually I've been impressed with the class balance in general. It's hard to even say which is best. My Cipher is tremendously powerful and useful with stun + charm + mind blades but I also would have a lot of trouble without Durance spamming heals and buffs, and Eder is completely invaluable as a tank. Those three classes seem more or less indispensable if you want a strong party.

And then in terms of support roles Ranger/Paladin are both solid, and I've found Kana pretty useful too. I haven't played around with a rogue, monk, or barb yet so no idea how those fare.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maybe it's just me but the music in this reminds me a bit of KOTOR 2

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Found a weird bug. I don't know how or when but my Warden's Lodge disappeared. I had built it and done 3 of the 4 bounties, and then finished the ogre one. I went back to go claim that bounty only to find the lodge not even there and no longer showing as built in my keep. I had to rebuild it...

Fortunately the quest line itself seems fine and I didn't have to re-do any of the original bounties. But it's kind of annoying because I lost 1k gold from it and I have no idea when it happened nor earlier saves to reload to.

1k gold is fairly trivial but I hope this didn't bug my game out somehow. The bounties seem fine...it's giving me 4 new ones now and still let me turn in the last two that I hadn't.

e: Also holy balls was that Ogre bounty hard. Those druids spam some AOE spell that just rapes my party. I finally beat that fight by having Aloth disable the gently caress out of them with confuse and then have the rest of my casters bombard with all they had + my Cipher spam paralyze. I dunno wtf that bees/thorny type spell they spam is but it's absolutely lethal.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Xyretire posted:

Did your stronghold get attacked and you didn't defend it? Unsuccessful defenses of your stronghold result in destruction of property.

Maybe that's what it was...I had to spend some gold to repair my keep. I didn't know it resulted in destroyed buildings too.

Also dunno why my guys lost the fight either since I had 8 hirelings plus some of my adventurers there. I don't much understand these keep fights much.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

derra posted:

You're paying that hireling 10 copper. How good do you think they are?

Well I do have that big ogre fucker. Am I supposed to just manually defend my keep every time? Do I always lose if I auto resolve? That's kinda annoying if so.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So I'm working through the second set of bounties and one wants me to go to the catacombs in Copperlane, but I just started Act 3 and that city is closed now. Do i get to go back at some point to finish that bounty or am I just screwed?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

That's insect swarm. It seems really overwhelming and then you cast Suppress Affliction and laugh your way back to the Hunting Lodge.

You've got the long and short of it. The map is pretty conducive to stealthing out after you've done the deed.

Thanks, that spell saved my bacon against the Troll bounty I just did. Was still a pretty tough fight that I narrowly survived.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Oh hey Sagani, nice to meet you. These are my friends, A BIG FUCKEN BEAR, BEAR FORCE ONE, and GRIZZLY MAN. I know you've been looking for your elder for five years, so why not relax for a few months at my luxurious and definitely not bear infested ruined ghost fortress?

Cool, thanks. Bye forever.

P.S. there are very few low-level monsters in this game that can survive a coordinated six-person Wounding Shot alpha strike to open a combat, and even fewer that can survive a subsequent mauling by six bears.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I actually like Sagani. I take her along a fair amount. Actually I try to rotate my whole team through. The only people who are with me 100% of the time are Eder and Durance because I find them indispensable. Between those two and my Cipher my bases are well covered.

Everyone else rotates. I enjoy mixing it up with my party. I also created a Monk/Rogue/Barb so I can play around with those classes too when I feel like. If I were purely powergaming I'd probably run Eder/Monk/Durance/Hiravasias/Cipher/Aloth (or Grieving Mother. Two ciphers is p diesel too)

Really like the class balance in this. Every class has felt useful to me. The Paladin has probably felt the weakest but that might just be because Pellagina is not min maxed. She still does alright for me when I use her.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jastiger posted:

Man everyone has Durance and Aloth using not-staves. Should I be swapping out the rods and sceptors for actual guns with these guys? Will my dps significantly improve?

I have Aloth with a wand and Durance with a gun right now. You don't really want either to be anywhere near the frontlines since they both have poo poo deflection. Also you probably want both in robes so they can speed cast - especially Durance. You can put Durance in plate and make him more survivable but I always find his spells so important in fights that I want the minimal delay in getting them off so I keep him in robes.

Leafy Wall posted:

All the classes (except ranger) just look so fun that I can't decide what to play. I've been making characters and doing the prologue for a week now. :( What should I play that's PotD viable?

There are no Barbarian, Rogue, or Monk NPCs in the game so maybe one of those three? None of those three classes are essential but it might be fun to play one of them so you get to try those classes out since you'll find an NPC of every other class.

Alternatively just play what looks fun to you. I chose a Cipher based on coolness factor. Just pick what looks fun and don't stress it too much - this is very much a party based game so whatever class you pick you'll be relying a lot on teammates anyways. This isn't like Baldur's Gate where certain combos can solo everything (at least- not that I can see yet. I'm sure people will find ways/combos to break the game)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Batham posted:

On any difficulty lower than PoTD, for most fights positioning is more important than anything else. You should only worry about casting spells on the real big/though fights. Blowing through all your per rest spells for a few bandits is a mistake that many newbies make, and why certain classes are considered weak in the early game (while they aren't).

This is why Ciphers are so golden.

Also its been my experience that you don't want to be too conservative with your spells. I've found sometimes that after 4-5 fights usually some of my characters with lesser defenses will start to get a lot of health damage and even though I have plenty of spells I still need to rest because there's no way to get that health back. So there's a fine line between saving your big spells for tougher fights but also making sure to not be so careful with them that your guys take a lot of health damage because then you'll have to rest anyways.

Also once you get past those real early levels you have plenty of spells available so even if you cast a lot you should still be fine as long as you don't go totally overboard. I mean as a 12th level character right now all of my spellcasters have so many spells available that it's hard to burn through them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Charm effects straight up should not be in the game, they are not fun. Let the enemy have a spell that can stun my dudes, sure, but Charming them is just annoying.

I don't have an issue with charm spells in theory. My problem with them is that the only counter I know of in the game to those spells is a level 6 priest spell. You spend 90% of the game being defenseless against enemies that can charm.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

I haven't run with an off-tank Kana but plenty of posters have mentioned it working well. I like him as a character but frankly found his chants really underwhelming and he's not really an active or interesting character to play in combat. I feel like the only thing Chanters do notably well is summoning Invocations which are very strong, but unfortunately that's replaceable with trinkets. While it's nice to summon ogres midway through each fight, most of the challenging encounters I really want those summons at the start of combat which means using trinkets anyway. His combat role just seems entirely replaceable. Though it's not like Pallegina is more interesting and active in combat or particularly effective at any one thing, either :v:

Worth noting Hiravias can summon Blights which are pretty good. Also his lightning spells are party-friendly and the higher level ones stun on hit so they're great all-around. Not much CC spells but a couple that are extremely useful against Beasts.

That was also my experience with party damage. Especially at lower levels where spell slots are precious, my Aloth was mostly casting Slicken, Blackened Sight, Expose Vulnerabilities, the Confusion spells, etc. Most of his damage spells are not party friendly and given the opportunity cost between positioning Aloth and dropping a nuke vs. CCing part of the huge pack of assholes trying to kill you, the latter is usually the better option.

I dunno. If you actually do take the time to position Aloth his aoe spells can hit for a ton of damage. The level one burning hands spell does a fuckton of damage and if you position him well you can hit lots of enemies with it while barely harming your party.

To me it's just a read and react thing. If my tanks have the enemies tied up well and the battlefield is big enough I'll sneak Aloth around the flanks and hammer away with burning hands. If it's too congested to do that or too dangerous, it's CC time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Was hoping someone could tell me how long I (roughly) have left before finishing the game. Act 3 spoiler: Got the Gods' blessings and am ready to take the dive into Sun In Shadows. Done all the side quests/bounties/Od Nua, so it looks like I'm headed for the final showdown, right?

Also, another mid-to-late act 3 question: re: eventually dealing with the souls. I'm not sure I want to promise anything to the gods, even though they're baiting me with sweet power. Magran and crew can eat a dick. Rymrgand's offer isn't tempting at all. Hylea's is something I'd "ideally" do, but I'm just not convinced the Hollowborn can be restored without some ugly consequences. Berath almost has me convinced that returning souls to the cycle is the right thing to do, but yeah, don't really trust him. Basically, what I'm asking is: can I go ahead as an "independent" and still enter Sun In Shadows without making promises I'm not sure I'll want to keep?

You're at the final phase, yeah.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I beat this when it first came out so things are probably different now but my Cipher was incredibly powerful by the end. Perhaps not on the level of high level BG mages, but pretty damned close.

Think I may spin up a new run here soon. Haven't tried the expansions and I enjoyed the game a lot my first run.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They already have a radius that tells you where your spells will hit. Seems like enough to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How hard is path of the damned? I beat this when it first came out and I chose hard. I recall having some trouble here and there, moreso early than mid/late as my Cipher became pretty powerful after a certain point.

Will I hate myself if I try POTD? Does it require sperg level understanding of Pillars or is it manageable for someone who has only beaten the game once?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice. I am the kind of person who does things like play BG with SCS and Insane/Ascension poo poo so I'm probably well used to the pounding I'm going to take on potd. :v:

rope kid posted:

Support abilities are often difficult to balance because many players completely overlook them unless they are bonkers, benefit-wise. The "every little bit counts" players immediately recognize the benefits and stack as many of them as possible.

I do like how buffs are encounter only in Pillars. It gets a little old in D&D games having to go through the whole buff routine of casting my entire spellbook before a tough encounter. And in those games characters that rely on prebuffing are always far more powerful than those who don't, so you kinda have to go through that whole song and dance before every fight if you want to be at optimal strength.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 11, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Tyranny isn't Pillars so I don't see the point in freaking out about it being different. It should be different. I'd be disappointed if it was just a Pillars clone with different lore, and I say that as someone who likes Pillars quite a bit.

I'm sure POE2 will have plenty of stuff to cater to its original target audience (ie, people who enjoy old school rpgs with full parties, etc).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Forgot what an rear end in a top hat section that Temple of Eothas is. Was tooth and nail to get through most of those fights on potd. I went with a Barb for my pc, and created a Druid plus had Eder, Durance, and Aloth. Went in around level 4 and it was brutal, mostly because those shadows are immune to so many effects and the rat kings are annoyingly tough. Hopefully worth the aggravation though because now my barb has that draining flail. I probably should have put together a full party or come back when I was more leveled, but I got through it eventually.

I have my Barb specced out with str/dex/int. Should I even bother wearing heavier armor or do I want to wear lighter armor for faster attacks? I've been dual wielding, though I have a two hander for the odd foe with lots of DR. I haven't had too much trouble so far aside from that temple, and really I shouldn't have bothered going in there until higher level probably.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Beat Raedric on potd without cheesing by running back into the hallway. Was tough, though. Threw down a consecrated ground (spell owns), slickened who I could, then had Aloth flank around to hit everyone with Fan of Flames. As long as you fight near the circle you can last quite a while.

Barb has been okay so far. Not nearly as powerful as my Cipher, but that may be because I haven't found the powerful weapons yet. I can't actually remember what weapons are good in this so I haven't specced into a particular weapon category yet. I suppose I probably should as that +6 accuracy would probably be rather useful on potd.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to get the Shod In Faith boots but still be able to do the Dozen's Quest line? I did the Knights my first time through so wanted to try the Dozens this time. But everyone keeps saying those boots are amazing for a Barbarian.

Can I do part of their quest to get access to the merchant and then say gently caress em and finish the Dozen's line?

VVV

good to know, thanks

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 17, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't see the point of limiting party size. Just give people the option to use less if they want to, and let the different party sizes have various rewards.

If you look at the Infinity Engine games, they did it perfectly. A solo character can get immensely powerful very fast and is fun to play. A party of six gets the most story content and party interaction, and is also powerful as well. A party of 4 is a nice mix of the two. There's no wrong way to play and all three options are viable and have their own advantages. I'd prefer not to be limited just because some people don't like microing six characters.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
These Cean Gwla in the Crystal Spider place are pushing my poo poo in. Guessing I shouldn't have come in here at level 6 or whatever I am.

Do Priests of Eothas get any cool dialogue? I'll probably stick with the Barb but I have a slight urge to reroll as one. I'm trying to suppress dreaded restartitis but it's tough.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Decided to stick with le Barbarian after getting over my frustration with those god damned Cean Glwas :argh:. That dungeon was a bitch in general since I don't have any spells that defend against stunning just yet. I got through it though.

Is it still the consensus that I should start hitting up White March around level 7? I'm still level 6, but should soon be 7. I finished the two Dozen's Quests and did the Catacomb part of the Main Quest, but I haven't done any of the Docks or that Undead area yet in Defiance Bay.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hm well I guess I'm still waiting to figure out when I'll go there. I did 5 levels of the Endless Paths yesterday and I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end those Ogre Druids are. That Insect Plague is devastating and suppress only helps so much. They also have gobs of HPS and take forever to burn down. I tried to CC them as best I could with slicken and confuse but it was still tough.

The Slimes are annoying too because there is no way I know of to reliably CC them and they always target Durance and make him take a beating. I'm not in much danger of wiping against them even so but enough of my squishies take health beatings that it makes me have to rest more often than I'd like.

The Barb is starting to come into his own though. Those Shod in Faith boots are ridiculous, they proc every single fight and make the Barb last forever. And the bow I got from the Dozen's Quest has turned Sagani into a pretty potent damage dealer.

What wizard spells do people like for level 2? I haven't found any that I particularly enjoy. Web is a decent cc, but I prefer Slicken to it because Slicken knocks people down which prevents casters from being too annoying. Necrotic Lance is okay for damage but seems to miss a lot on POTD. I also have that ranged touch spell that damages them and heals me but I'm not too crazy about it, and I have Fetid Carcass which targets Fort and seems hard to get off, plus you have to be close to use it and I don't usually want Aloth that close and if I do it's because I want to get off a fan of flames.

1 owns with slicken/that melee staff/chill fog/fan of flames, and 3 I've found fireball/expose vulnerabilities to be staples. 4 I like Confuse but am unsure what else is great. I took that Eora's Pull but haven't used it much yet so no idea if it's any good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I can't stop laughing. God bless whoever wrote that as an option.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Eora's pull plus carnage is like a match made in heaven. Why yes I will pull every enemy into a nice tight little group to melee aoe. I accidentally equipped that soulbound estoc without knowing what it was though so now my Barb is using a 2hander instead of dual wielding. I'm doing alright with it but I don't know if I'm sold on 2handers over dual wielding. I also need to figure out the poems on it.

When is a good time to fight that dragon in the ice caves? I just hit level 11 but when I tried to fight him at level 10 he totally wrecked me. Is that a boss I can come back to later in the game?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mitochondritom posted:

I have Pagellina trained defensively in my normal game (6 man, Hard) and she is pretty much unkillable. Even those rear end in a top hat fire constructs in Galvino's labratory don't touch her while insta-killing all my other guys. On that note, I think Galvino's basement is one of the crappiest areas in the White March I have explored thus far. Fights with a bunch of self healing, high DR enemies with traps all over the floor doesn't make for a fun experience. It seems to just be a big gently caress you to anyone trying to play without much resting.

Yeah I just finished WM1 aside from the dragon. deciding when to try that again and Galvino's was a pain in the rear end. The self healing guys didn't bother me too much actually. It was the self exploding guys that were a nuisance. I had to pretty much spam slicken and aoes to kill them before they ran into my group and detonated. Some of the fights have like 5 of them at once and it's tough having to dps them down quick enough.

Durgan's Battery I did mostly okay on. The Battery Sirens were a damned nuisance though. They seemed quite hard to kill, and if I wasn't on the ball with prayer against imprisonment they cced me. They also hit like a truck which meant even when I did get to focus on them they still inflicted a good deal of punishment.

I actually trounced the final fight easily, though. Just clumped up and aoed my heart out. I know people like priests and wizards a lot for obvious reasons but man is Hiravias ever invaluable. Lightning storm flat out wins fights for me, and he also hits like an absolute truck as a stag man. His ability to reliably and party friendly cc with his storms makes him so damned good.

I actually quite like the class balance in Pillars. Every class feels useful. Even rogues which get a lot of complaints I feel like I can still get some mileage out of because they kill cced things so fast. You just have to work a little bit harder with a rogue to get good use out of them as they're not all that great in a fight where you're half assing it.

Wildtortilla posted:

At the end of my play session this weekend I just leveled up and Eora's Pull became available to me. I'm so pumped to sit down again and clump enemies and massacre them with AOE.

As an aside, the boulder Toss spell available to Druids is surprisingly powerful. I launched it at a mob of enemies not expecting it to do much and it gibbed them all. I was looking forward to a strategic fight and instead I ended it immediately.

Mentioned above but Druids are just great. I really like Smashing Wave at level 4 too. If you can position your Druid such that you won't hit party members you can stun a lot of enemies at once and do good damage. It's tricky to setup, but so worth it when you do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Actually in some dungeons Pillars is pretty good about that, it's just not perfect so it has its fair share of *smashes reload key*

Durlag's Tower in BG was one of the best dungeons I've seen for that. A lot of the traps in there have telltale signs like a bunch of dead bodies around right where the trap is.

In Pillars it's harder to tell although there are certain symbols on the floors in dungeons that have traps but you usually have to trigger (or find) at least one before you can pick up on that being a thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Those Soulbound weapons kick all kinds of rear end. My Barbarian is a terror with the Estoc which procs summons/twin stones. Heart of Fury + that = constant proccing. Sagani has also been pretty ridiculous with the bow that procs returning storm. I've been curb stomping the original game since coming back from WM1. In retrospect for a future playthrough I'd probably finish most/all of Endless Paths and finish Chapter 2 before going to WM1. Then do level scaling for it and level scaling on the way back.

It's been kinda fun curb stomping enemies even on POTD though. Once I finish Endless Paths I've got a bone to pick with that Dragon in WM1.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mitochondritom posted:

This is my situation right now, except I put the hallowed redeemer on Meneha. Her carnage / heart of fury skills basically obliterated the dwarven golems at the end of part one. Sagani with the stormcaller is similarly insane. I still think that fighting spirits/ghosts is bullshit in this game, but everything else is well thought out and the power progression of your characters is really satisfying. Going back to Longwatch falls after the adventure in Durgans Battery to wreck havok on those not-murlocks was possibly one of the most satisfying moments in gaming I have had in recent years. Going back to the Dyrwood and exploding everything is similarly amazing.

One thing I have noticed above all is that the priest is almost an essential pick for the team. The utility Durance brings along is so great I just can't bench him, not that I ever want to as he is a great character. Another thing that doesn't quite mesh well for me is the way the characters in your party just straight up dismiss Durance or outright mock him. Obviously he is within the context of the world a sexist, racist shitheel and is should be.. well reviled. But Eder and Meneha just take the piss out of him. His character is so extreme I feel like the characters don't react plausibly to him, which really should be outright hatred. I mean the guy talks about skinning Orlans and burning people alive, he's a psychopath. I wouldn't be ripping him for sure.

The progression is definitely satisfying. As far as Durance goes he's basically the crazy grandpa of the party so I don't mind how the other party members treat him. He's so old and ugly and grizzled that you're never quite sure whether he's just being an rear end in a top hat or whether he genuinely believes what he's saying.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mitochondritom posted:

I suppose I can see that the other members of the party might get that impression of him, however I (well my characters) interactions with him that are presumably taken away from the party mark him as a dangerous individual. Perhaps some boldness ala Baldurs Gate with stronger conflicts and outright party conflicts where Durance straight up kills Eder for being a filthy Eothosian would put players off too much. I'll never forget when Zar and Montaron just decided to outright kill Jaheira for their difference in philosophy and Korgan outright hated Aeire (Didnt we all?). The characters are all really good in Pillars, but their interactions between each other are almost too twee for my tastes. Its a problem that was present in Baldurs Gate 2 also (Sarevok with acne, ugh!).

If I'm not mistaken the lack of party members arguing like crazy and wanting to kill each other was a deliberate choice by Obsidian because they were tired of the juvenile arguments party members got into in other games. Their choice in this one was basically yeah some of these party members don't like each other a whole lot but they're still going to fall in line and not go too nuts about it.

Wildtortilla posted:

gently caress that Fampyr level. Is there a trick to killing Fampyrs in a timely manner (besides your strategy with Meneha). Those are some tough sons of bitches.

Cast Prayer Against Treachery and then focus them down as quick as you can. If you don't have Prayer Against Treachery then cast suppress affliction on anyone who gets charmed and pray that your Priest isn't the one that gets charmed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I only have up to fourth level priest spells. After I cleared the Fampyr level I moved onto White Marsh. I'm assuming I'll run into Fampyrs again though.

They're pretty uncommon, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Captain Mediocre posted:

Running through White March for the first time (and first playthrough since 1.0 release, game has come a long way) and I've found the sword in the stone.

I'm now trying to figure out which story companion is going to get the best use out of the Grey Sleeper estoc? My player char is a priest not at all setup for a 2h. Was thinking of giving it either to Pallegina, Maneha, Kana or as an alt-weapon for Hiravias/Grieving Mother. I'm trying to avoid giving it to anyone who is going to find a better-suited soulbound weapon later on, and that thought has given me decision paralysis. What have you guys done with it and how did it work out?

I've been using the Grey Sleeper on my Barbarian and I have no regrets. There's a good argument to be made for dual wielding on a Barb too but the Grey Sleeper procs like crazy with my Barb because I think Carnage hits count for proc chance. When the Grey Sleeper is fully upgraded it has a chance of casting twin stones and also of summoning undead. Getting free summons a good percentage of the time is just great, and it's accurate/does pretty good damage too. I imagine it would be a solid choice for Pallegina or Kana too but because of carnage it's going to proc most often for a Barb.

Re: NWN2. The OC definitely is mediocre (though has some good moments), but MOTB is one of the best games Obsidian has done so you're missing out if you don't give that a try.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 31, 2016

• Locked thread