Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If we make a sequel, the default speed will likely be what slow currently is.

With regard to visual effects, there's another factor we've been trying to work through which is how effects render in the environment, especially when they overlap. The way that the renderer handles the effects tends to result in them blowing out very quickly, so if there are multiple effects going on anywhere, the individual effects get lost. The lighting also works this way, so if a visual effect has a lighting component in it, the way it interacts with other lights will quickly blow out the environment (and other) art in the scene. It's not something we can really fix for PoE, but we could fix it for a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Only

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

Ropekid, I do have one question about the game and it's development - why did you guys decide to make escaping from fights impossible? Being able to run away is obviously a staple of the traditional CRPG, and a strict confinement to the battle area if you get in over your head was definitely the thing that threw me the most learning to play.
When we did allow people to transition during combat, it caused a bunch of bugs. We used to not allow people to exit combat, period, because that also caused a bunch of bugs, but those bugs were fixed. There are a few fights now that won't end once they're triggered until everyone is dead (I think Raedric's might be one of them, Maerwald's definitely is) but most other fights can end as Samuel Clemens described.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I should note that one other thing we'd like to do on a sequel is allow for sub-areas to be loaded concurrently with a parent area. If we can pull that off, we should be able to allow you (and enemies) to transition during combat.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

drgnvale posted:

Throw that gun in the trash, man :(

So, I'm doing my melee wizard run, and I'm trying really hard to include characters I haven't used before, which means Sagani and the Monk. I'm trying to give Sagani a chance, but she's just not very effective at level 5, and I feel like she's holding the rest of my party back.
Rangers require more micromanagement than some other classes because some of their most powerful abilities require coordination between the ranger and pet. IME rangers (post 2.3/2.4) are strong.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Animal companions' weapons do best of Pierce/Slash. For Pierce immune creatures, rangers either need to use implements or go into melee.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And ciphers clearly need the new soulbound "Farmer Giles" blunderbuss that does Raw damage
I'm more of a Smith of Wootton Major guy. :c00l:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I can't remember who asked about it, but someone ITT linked me to a community reported bug about character models being upscaled in 1440p. I don't think that's happening. QA didn't see anything weird about it, Roby (one of our programmers) didn't see anything to suggest that, and I'm now playing at 1440p and it doesn't look like it's being upscaled. :shrug:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Edit: Pallegina's stats are fine. Her only problems are the lack of Faith and Conviction (which will be fixed in the next patch), and choosing Flames of Devotion rather than Lay on Hands at level 1.
One of her new (Patch 3.0) talents, Vielo Vidório, is based on Flames of Devotion and is widely liked by QA. It gives nearby allies an attack speed boost whenever FoD is used.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's just to allow Pallegina to have the same number of options as player-made paladins. Her other talent is Wrath of the Five Suns. It shoots out five Burn damage projectiles when she uses Sworn Enemy.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The "all of the animancers we meet/hear about are doing lovely things" problem was something I noticed about halfway through development. I asked the designers to feature more examples of animancers doing good and useful things (e.g. Bellasege) but I still think most players' impressions wound up being negative.

Renaissance/early modern Earth medicine was definitely a comparison for us.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was moderately surprised "animancer" wasn't a class with a companion.
Animancer isn't really a class, though. Or rather, it's as much of a class as "medical researcher" would be. Animancy always involves the use of machines, typically enormous ones, and has nothing to do with the intrinsic powers of the animancer. Animancers just have specialized knowledge, experience, and (if they're lucky) access to facilities and equipment to experiment.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think so, but I'm only saying that because I have seen any bugs related to them in a long time.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Harrow posted:

How can I prevent my tax earnings from the Stronghold from always being taken by bandits? So far, I haven't gotten a single copper.
High Security helps (but is not a guarantee) against banditry.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I've never done game VO, no.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The 3.0 beta is going up presentlyish. There are a ton of changes in this one, so we really appreciate feedback.

Stronghold content is in 3.0 (including the beta) but it does not have the main stronghold quest, just the adventures and dilemmas.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

Boo, this is still broken.
Eric has a bug for this.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There will be a changelog coming in the backer update.

The stronghold quest is a quest line that we're adding in 3.0.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yes, up to 16.

e: the enchantment cap is also being raised from 12 to 14.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The pig attack is to support a new spell in TWM Pt. II.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

drgnvale posted:

New opening image is cool. I love some of the new UI elements; the little icons on each portrait indicating actions is welcome. Storytime seems to have fewer enemies than I remember seeing on normal in the opening segment, but I could be mistaken.
We found that the areas leading up to Gilded Vale were still too difficult on Story Time, so those areas use Easy encounter compositions.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's not a dramatic difference. I was just trying to bring the two 1st level chanter summons in line with each other.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I know we had seen a bug where if you clicked on a modal and then clicked on another ability (often a spell) the character wouldn't do anything until you canceled their action and then picked something else, but I doubt that's what's happening here.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think Woodend Plains' fights are tuned for slightly higher level parties, but they're also all off the main road. If you strictly follow the road to Defiance Bay, I don't think you encounter any enemies.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Consumable Duration is one of the resting bonuses you can select. It becomes available at 5 score in Survival and gives a 20% bonus. At 10, that bonus is increased to 40%.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The difference in the final fight is in the AI. On lower levels of difficulty, Thaos and the Heralds use much less insane abilities.

E: Also no, that sounds like a bug. /\

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

Are traps actually working properly, now that I think of it? The behaviour may be intentional, but it certainly seems buggy as is. Whenever anyone places a trap, any existing traps from anyone now seem to be destroyed.
I have no idea why, but somehow that wound up being implemented that way. It's supposed to be that each character can have one trap out. If it's not that way in the 3.0 beta, it's a bug.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

This seems... uh... wrong. There shouldn't be two save files here for any reason, right?

On Trial of Iron, no, there shouldn't be.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

As the level cap continued increasing, the max Focus cap outpaced the increase in cipher power cost by an increasingly wide margin until it became both very easy to start combat with really strong powers and very easy to regain enough Focus to immediately use those strong powers -- sometimes multiple times in sequence. The goal of the "non-traditional" resource characters (ciphers, monks, and chanters) has always been that the majority of powers are not restricted to times per encounter or times per rest, but to a resource that requires time to pass/things to occur within combat. If little or no time is actually required for these classes to use their most powerful abilities in rapid succession, there's not really a trade-off.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

I really like the new stronghold adventures. I assume they can have multiple outcomes, because in one I sent the Devil Of Caroc to guard some druids and nothing happened but one of them dropped dead from nervousness, then in the description for the unique item it said the druid died in a mercenary attack.
They don't have variable outcomes. I'll have to check the text for that quest, but IIRC there's a mercenary attack and the (old) druid dies of fright while it happens.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 23, 2016

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

What does the skill system not do that you want it to do? What is the "elegance" you're looking for?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

People generally complain about the PoE attribute system because D&D's stats are pretty important. Skills have never been of tremendous importance in A/D&D outside of a narrow band.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The best place to post bugs is in the OEI forum. I might catch things here, but we actually have QA folks that collect bug reports from the forums.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Krowley posted:

Is my paladin's accuracy bonus supposed to be rear end for some reason?

I'm using a greatsword at 18 accuracy (+5 paladin, +whatever others) while Eder is dual-wielding two swords at +40 and +30 something (+30 fighter, and the other stuff). This can't be right
It shouldn't be, no. If you hover on the stat in the character sheet or inventory, you should see a breakdown of what's contributing to it.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 25, 2016

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Krowley posted:

Yeah, I'm apparently only getting +5 paladin accuracy. It could be because I played through the first dungeon before finding out that I hadn't opted into the 3.0 beta yet :downs:
Hmm. I don't think we've adjusted paladin base Accuracy in a long time.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You have to win three games.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

One last thing: all dragons in this game have an aura that constantly terrifies your characters. Terrify is a massive -20 accuracy penalty, which makes the fight much harder. Prayer Against Fear or anything that boosts your Will defence help prevent this.
With TWMII, fighters also gain access to a new ability, Fearless, that negates it.

If anyone is playing in the 3.0 patch and has feedback on the dragon fights, I'd be interested to hear it. The patch includes a 3 second delay before the dragons use their breath weapons.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Adra Dragon is immune to petrify as of 2.03. It's still useful for taking out her pals, just don't expect it to land on the big girl herself. Paralyse still works though.
Each of the dragons has a different high-power immunity. I believe the adra dragon is immune to Petrified, the sky dragon is immune to Stunned, and the alpine dragon is immune to Paralyzed.

e: In 3.0 they're also no longer immune to Prone, but have a high resistance to it. They are immune to Unconscious, however (caused by Call to Slumber).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hard is not dramatically more difficult than Normal. There's a much bigger leap between Hard and PotD than Normal and Hard.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

Yes that's apparently the case. I'm trying to get the exact details as I don't see that mentioned in the patch notes.
You get fatigue from scripted interactions and knockout injuries, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

frajaq posted:

I found it hilarious that if you betray one of the gods they get their revenge on innocent people in the region instead of, you know, the loving protag and his party :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fey6ZMddmhY&t=43s

• Locked thread