Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

It's not meant to kill whoever gets nabbed, it's meant to tie up your tank to disrupt your front line and make you scramble for a solution that isn't "front two rank, back four DPS".
Correct. That said, we've improved push/pull mechanics for the future, so it's easier to displace someone in a front line position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Rope kid mentioned in the past that he was never quite happy with the way attack speed calculations worked out in this game, so whatever system PoE2 uses will probably be at least slightly different.
We couldn't query the Unity 4.x animation system for data, so if we wanted to display any "real" timing information to players, we would have had to enter (and maintain) it manually. Given that we continued to tune speeds and timing over the course of the project, that would have been bad.

Unity 5 allows us to get the data we need from the system, so it should be easier to display moving forward.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

During a stream of NV rope kid apparently said the plan is to make a historical rpg after PoE2 wraps.

So if you love swords and plate mail, you'd better like it enough for 4 straight games worth of it
To be clear, that's my plan.

Also, there are two periods I'm interested in: 15th-16th century HRE and mid-late-19th century America.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Clever Spambot posted:

I mean if he can actually get the go ahead to make the historical rpg he has been wanting I'd imagine he would also be making it turn based since thats his preference.
Yes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Alchenar posted:

I suspect that just as in the previous 2 games, Psionics will be overpowered and there will be no reason not to make them the majority of your squad.
I've only worked on one game with psionics in it and don't know why you think psionics would be in a historical early modern Europe RPG.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

2house2fly posted:

Based on what people are saying about Tyranny, this desire is doomed to go forever unfulfilled.
No, but it's not an easy/quick problem to fix.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

I think it's not completely your thing but if you could mix that early modern Europe RPG with some Lovecraft, minds would be blown.
Nah.

I like Cthulhu stuff well enough, but not for this.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

NT Plus posted:

We should be more careful what we wish for. :stare:
Wishing for faster load times seems pretty reasonable... :confused:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I suspect it's easier to animate humans staggering from big crits or flailing while on fire when you're not modeling and animating a Monster Manual's worth of critters.
Yes. Tyranny had only a small handful of rigs to animate, primarily humans and beast men.

It's much easier to get large variety in animation when you have a small number of rigs.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 20, 2016

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rolling Flame works best in open spaces, definitely.

Bouncing effects in general were very frustrating in PoE and they've been improved enormously for the future.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Raygereio posted:

There is such a thing as taking guns in a fantasy setting too far.

Does anyone know if they are both references to something, or does the PoE one reference the Wasteland 2 rifle?

IIRC both are from the same backer.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

ccubed posted:

Josh Sawyer braved an over 2 hour interview with someone from RPG Codex at GDC Europe 2016. I think originally in German?
No, it was in English. I'm not so fluent in German that I could give a two hour interview of any depth.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It requires a huge amount of resources and even in the Fallout games it's always been quite inconsistent.

Personally, I think the best way to approach low-Int is to treat it more as dim-witted or slow rather than monosyllabic. It makes it much easier to work into dialogues and you have to exclude far fewer reply nodes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nephthys posted:

You know, it's weird that looking at the ending slides the Doemenels actually seem to be the best ending for Defiance Bay. Assuming you go the non-prick version. The Knights can turn out to be not bad, but the Doemenels are the only ones who make an improvement.

Thats pretty cool.

Heck, they were the best during the trial as well. Probably looked better next to the Dozen's rep though.....

I believe Pallegina suggests this will be the case if you ask her.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

https://twitter.com/obsidian/status/816793839717339136

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That's most likely all handled through their own dialogue tools and simple variables, so I imagine it's just a question of how hard it is to plan/author and how hard it is to debug and keep track of all of it, plus unique art, etc.

Yes, it's all handled through Obsidian Tools(tm). It was a little difficulty/clunky in PoE, but our tool and the SI interface have improved a great deal.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

The last save is before the end game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

User0015 posted:

Wishlist for PoE2: Achievement for petting everything that can be pet.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

No dogs. Yet another sequel that's inferior to the original.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Certain aspects are easy to open up to modding. Others are quite difficult. Exposing data for spells, items, attribute modifiers, etc. is pretty easy. Allowing people to easily modify or make their own maps is very difficult. Rather, it's sort of difficult and extremely time-consuming.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

People use the term Hel in two ways: 1) another way to refer to the Beyond, the place where souls go between incarnations or 2) the depths of the world, where people assume adra pillars originate. In most Eoran minds, these are the same place, the former being metaphysical/spiritual, the latter being the physical.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CottonWolf posted:

Is it imagined as being a positive or negative place? Since people reference it while cursing, I guess the latter? It sounds more neutral than I imagined with a name like Hel. It's pretty evocative of fire and brimstone. Though I'll admit I don't know what the Norse Hel was like.
Well, it's the afterlife, so sending someone there usually means killing them. The connotation of Hel isn't inherently "evil" in Eora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Octo1 posted:

What about devils? What are those on Eora?
"Devils" in Eora are bad people, not pointy beard pitchfork supernatural minions of evil gods.

• Locked thread