Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah there are minor Talents you can earn from Orlan's Head and the Dozen dice game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Azran posted:

Isn't Orlan's Head 100% random? I don't get how it works, I won the first two handily and then lost 30 in a row.
Aiming at the nose vs. the ears changes the percentage chance that you'll hit different parts of the face. I believe a higher Accuracy adds to your die roll, making it more likely that you'll actually hit what you're aiming at. The ears are easier to hit than the nose, but if you miss the ears, you may miss the head entirely. If you miss the nose, you get skin, which is worth the lowest value (other than missing entirely, of course).

Fuligin posted:

As long as you're around Rope Kid, I'm kind of curious about what magic/wizardry actually are in Eora. It's not a question that really comes up in something like Forgotten Realms, but when you have a "scientific" study of magical forces (animancy) it begs the question of what plain jane magic study involves, especially when the two categories seem to overlap in a field like necromancy. Animancy studies souls, obviously, so is it safe to assume that wizardry is concerned with some similar-but-distinct animating energy that permeates everywhere? I hope that the question makes sense.
Almost all forms of magic rely on using either an individual's soul as a power source (replenished by soul fragments) or on gathering/invoking power from a bunch of soul fragments. The very Weave-like idea is that whenever someone dies, a bunch of their memories usually fracture off into tiny shards. Whether their soul moves immediately through the Between to the Beyond or it hangs around in the Between as a Lost Soul, those fragments are just flitting around. Chanters and wizards both use those fragments directly, the former by evoking ancestral memories of common stories, the latter by drawing them into a grimoire.

In our various updates and in-game lore, we've said that wizardly spellcasting is a discipline that involves learning various techniques for drawing soul fragments from the Between into a grimoire, then shaping and releasing the energy of those fragments to produce the desired effect.

Animancy is something entirely different. An animancer typically uses mechanical processes to achieve an effect. I.e., an animancer neither needs to use their own soul nor directly (personally) manipulate soul energy to achieve an effect. That's why animancers' labs are almost always filled with weird devices.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Fighters though are by design made to emulate D&D fighters- who are pretty passive and easy to play.
And wizards, druids, and priests were largely made to emulate their pre-4E equivalents. Per rest resources are enough of a problem that we are very likely to change how they work if we make a sequel.

e: Patch 2.02 is out now, btw.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 28, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ninagauth's Shadowflame.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

In the relatively near future, the current switchover of low level spells to per encounter is going to be changed. Instead, the "Vancian" casters will pick a spell of that level or lower as a mastered spell. A mastered spell can be cast 1/Encounter in addition to all other uses. Wizards do not need to have this spell in their currently equipped grimoire to take advantage of it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW, until I lower the duration, Minor Grimoire Imprint in 2.02 should be much more powerful, bordering on incredibly powerful, because it can take spells from wizards, druids, and priests.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Base 60s.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

StashAugustine posted:

When is part 2 scheduled to come out btw?
The release date hasn't been announced because we're still working on it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Alchenar posted:

Which, as writing this post leads me to realise another problem I think PoE has - despite the existence of sneaking mode there's typically very little ability to scope out encounters in advance and get the measure of a fight before the spells start flying everywhere.
If you invest in Stealth, it's not difficult at all to scope out most encounters.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Spiritshift damage and armor also improves every 3 levels, too.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

kinnas posted:

Hey Ropekid, I'm setting up a small studio to make an isometric RPG and I wanted to ask about using Obsidian's dialogue editor. Is there a contact e-mail I can write to or is support@obsidian the main e-mail for you guys?
If you write to that support e-mail, you can ask for the e-mail to be forwarded to me. I'll tell the support team to look out for it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Alchenar posted:

True but... that relegates stealth to being an investment which provides you access to something that should really be always available. In a PnP adventure setting it makes sense for one guy to be the sneaky type who scopes out the enemy camp and sets up cool opportunities for you. In a video game setting that's just spending points to be able to 'look over the horizon'.
You complained that there was very little ability to scope out fights. There is and Stealth is more accessible by a wider range of characters than it was in the IE games.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I just cast rolling flame while protected by llengrath's displaced image and all my grazes against enemies were converted into misses. :thumbsup:
Thanks. I sent that over to programming and they've fixed it for the next patch.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rascyc posted:

Huh, how does that even work, isn't that spell just a deflection buff
The base status effect code was applying the benefit to people targeted by the recipient. That status effect is only used by that spell, so it wasn't seen anywhere else.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah. Most of the critter immunities are grouped by type (e.g. spirits, vessels), but some specific creatures also get their own immunities (e.g. dragons).

If you hit something with an affliction they're immune to, they'll float an *Immune!* message and it will list it in the log. The immunities are also set up as abilities, so they get added to the corresponding bestiary entry.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 19, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dick Burglar posted:

rope kid, can we get any word on plans for Novice's Suffering interacting with Spiritshift claws? Is it being worked on? It still doesn't work.
The text for Novice's Suffering now states that it doesn't stack with spiritshift weapons. Spiritshift weapons are already burly as hell.

frajaq posted:

Are they days of scroll of paralyze spam on dragon fights over????
In either this patch or the last, the duration on Scroll of Paralysis went down. Dragons aren't all immune to Paralyzed, but one of them is.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hollismason posted:

Does Durgan Steel enchant stack or add with other similar enchants like Predatory? Does it stack with Armoured Grace?
It should, yes. I believe programming was looking into a bug where it wasn't.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Huh, I thought the lack of hard immunities was a purposeful thing in PoE, but I guess I hadn't really considered the damage type immunities that were already in. Plus the high-level spells are probably just too powerful across the board without it.
It was, but the reasons for it have mostly disappeared over time. We don't have classes that are so inherently CC-focused that they can't work around immunities (cipher and wizard are closest, but they have a lot of options). We have better feedback for when you hit immunities. Bestiary entries now display abilities, which means you can look at the entry and go "oh hey". Finally, there's actually support for affliction immunities. In the base game, the code didn't support it at all.

What we were trying to avoid was the 3.X situation where your rogues and beguilers throw their hands up because they're fighting swarms of undead/constructs/elementals for hours straight and the majority of your abilities can't affect them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

As with anything else that's in the bestiary, entries fill in as you fight things. Any time you hit an immunity, the creature floats *Immune!*.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wizard Styles posted:

I gotta say, I was never a fan of that mechanic and would have preferred to just have all the information from the start
I think this is a preference where it's hard to find a middle ground.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't think that the beginning would have been a good place to answer that question, just because so much lore is being dumped there already. I think it would work better in the sanitarium or Hadret House, since by that time you've already been exposed to quite a few animancers and ciphers.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I agree. I think I've covered a few of the distinctions previously, but it's been a while.

Animancers are highly-educated scientists of souls. They study and manipulate how souls work, which is very broad. Some study how memories are retained/awakened in souls, how personality traits are developed/expressed/repressed, how souls interact with different physical materials, and how reincarnation seems to function (as far as they can tell). When animancers manipulate souls and soul energy, they do so by using machines. Animancers do not necessarily have any special power over souls outside of what their knowledge and equipment grant them. If an animancer could do what they do by using a wizard, priest, cipher, etc., there would be no need for animancy. Animancy goes beyond what is normally possible for individuals.

Ciphers connect their souls to other "housed" souls. This usually means other people, but it can be souls or fragments that are trapped in objects. All of their powers revolve around establishing that direct link, which is why none of their abilities can target open ground. Being a cipher is something that technically anyone could do, but the training is difficult and most people aren't great at it.

Watchers see "lost" souls that are in the Between, and those souls can see them. Souls in the Between are usually in a weird state of consciousness, so communication can be difficult, but Watchers are the only people that can do it. As far as anyone knows, no one can train to be a Watcher. It's something inherent to the individual, but sometimes remains dormant for a large portion of a person's life.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It has been a continual frustration that we've never been able to extract animation time and display it with all appropriate modifications and recovery times. If we make a sequel, it's something I want to address ASAP.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We would be moving to Unity 5 in the future, which immediately removes one of the biggest obstacles to modding. We're also working on an external data editor for most stat-based things.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Snicker-Snack posted:

Hey Rope Kid, are you aware Spiritshift druid attack speeds seem to be fairly different than what you'd think based on the in game description?
I looked at this with Seth and we found the problems. He can fix them, but the fix likely won't be in the upcoming 2.03 patch. Sorry.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Another totally serious suggestion: include some Eastern Europe fan service because they really ought to account for 500k copies sold by themselves. Somehow it seems like 500k split between NA and Europe (after a couple of Steam sales) indicates that one or more weren't as hype on it as you'd expect.
Russia is the third largest region after western Europe (largely Germany and France, IIRC) and NA. We did have Polish/Russian translations at launch and we made a few engineering adjustments early on in development to make Slavic language translations easier. Poland and Russia were also two of the first places that had physical distribution.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Davos posted:

This is probably something you guys have gone over in this thread before, but is White March part 2 supposed to make any more changes to the main game? After having stopped my original playthrough shortly after reaching Defiance Bay back at launch I've been thinking about picking this up again and restarting with the 2.0 changes, but if the second part of the expansion is going to make some kind of gameplay changes or add new features outside of that new content then maybe I'll put it off for a bit.
The 2.03 patch just went into beta (like, just now), but there's more stuff coming for the 3.0 patch that will drop concurrently with The White March Pt. II.

* New stronghold content - Stronghold adventures now actually have their proper names and mini-story premise/resolution and unique items. Visitor dilemmas that you can lord over from your throne. A small series of stronghold-specific quests and associated storyline.

* Athletics and Survival are being revised. Athletics can provide a personal heal (like 4E's Second Wind) and Survival allows individual party members to select from various bonuses when you rest in the wilderness. We just started using and tuning these, so we'll see where they wind up. However, one nice side effect will be that the Fatigue mechanic is being revised and it won't have anything to do with Athletics.

* An option for Knockout Injuries (off by default). If you want being KOd to be a bigger deal, you'll get an Injury that lasts until you rest. These include most of the Injuries from the base game that you normally get from scripted interactions (e.g. Twisted Ankle, Bruised Ribs) but also include some new damage-specific ones like Severe Burn, System Shock, and Frostbite.

* Tuning up the late game (Elmshore+) content to not only be a little harder overall, but also trigger a high-level scaling switch for people that are really amped up from The White March.

And some more stuff. Nothing that turns the world upside down, but hopefully things that people find useful. BTW the change to the traditional "Vancian" casters (wizards, priests, druids) should be in Patch 2.03. They all pick individual spells for mastery and those spells have a single bonus Per Encounter use, even if (in the case of wizards) it isn't in the currently equipped grimoire.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 26, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Pattonesque posted:

I killed it in one hit from Concelhaut's Crushing Doom that did 1663 damage.
Was that from your wizard or from Concelhaut's visage?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The battle square in IWD2 *feels* infinitely long. :v:
It took about that long to implement.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

Sorry for the necroquoting but it's important. When this happens, will you publish a file/database that links all the item IDs to their descriptions/effects/whatnot?
We'd probably use .xml for all of that stuff.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Argwes Adra is on the 7th or 9th level of Od Nua, IIRC.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

I feel like all the fixable complaints about the game at launch have been fixed at this point except for strongholds, and that's coming up in the next expansion.
The new stronghold content will actually be in the patch, not the expansion.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I take that to mean that none of the new stronghold content is tied to xpac events or characters, then? Also how much content do you think there will end up being in p2 compared to p1? Even split?
Correct. I believe some of the visitor dilemmas can optionally involve companions but they should work fine without them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I've heard some complaints about affliction immunities being too severe and the fighter boosts not being significant enough. I asked our internal testers, our external testers, and our QA community tester for feedback on both before and during the patch's beta and heard nothing negative. If it's a problem, we can adjust it during the next patch.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

sassassin posted:

I just assumed the legacy was just an edgy excuse not to have kid models running around the landscape (also "worldbuilding").
We have kid models in the game. There's a little girl running around Gilded Vale and a little boy (Gordy) in Copperlane. They're just very rare.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

Yes that's the one. I haven't played much after getting it, but enemies can't even resist it can they? There's no hit % chance when you cast it. I'm glad I saved the Alpine Dragon for last.
Concelhaut's Crushing Doom does roll to hit. However, if it knocks something Prone, it makes subsequent attacks more likely to hit/crit.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jarl posted:

When they count the copies sold of Pillars of Eternity do they then include the copies handed out for kickstarting the game?
I'm pretty sure we do.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I believe one of the recent features we got for the AI instruction sets was a "do not use until __ time has elapsed" condition. I'd like to set that up for the dragon breath attacks and similar abilities.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We're still working on the second part of the expansion. There are a lot of ideas that seem like *~ maybe ~* they could be cool, but require implementation, testing, and feedback. Damage and affliction immunities are two of those things because they have the potential to really alter how different characters/parties deal with battles throughout the game. The code implementation of these two features was relatively low-impact, but it did require designers to go through and update all of the creature and bestiary files. It's an assumption on my part, but I think players who are sticking with the game are interested in seeing/trying new things in the base campaign as well as the expansions. If there are serious problems with anything we've implemented, we can still tune them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

Before the patch that brought immunities, if some enemy had a +30 DR on Cold, I didn't use Cold Things on them anyway, so I don't really give a poo poo that now it's become +INFINITE! DR. The only problems I have nowadays are enemies (Dragons, really) with their crazy damage output and adds as well as enemies (Concelhaut) that have resistances so high all around that I have no idea what spell to cast first to start making a dent.
I think people expect enemies like dragons to have really devastating attacks. It's more of a problem when they use it immediately because the player can't, practically speaking, prep for it at all.

• Locked thread