Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ceaselessfuture posted:

Damnit. Good answers to my Duelist question.

The only problem now is that I'll probably have to make a few characters to start, before I find one that fits what I have in mind.

I prided myself on thinking, "Heh, look at all these fools, being stuck because of all the cool characters they can possibly make! I shall just make the one true character, which is duelist, and be correct in all things :smug:" but now I have the same problem as you guys.

why you gotta go and make a cool game ropekid

Normally in this type of game I just roll a Mage and call it a day (even in baldurs gate) but in Poe I actually tried out a bunch of the classes so kudos for making all the classes genuinely interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I never got into bg 1 because I got started with 2 so I can't wait to be at the start of a long journey. I especially can't wait to see what the high end abilities are going to look like in the sequel/expansion

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

D:OS combat always seemed fun I just sorta lost interest in the story about 3/4ths of the way in. It got predictable.

Yeah it's definitely the story. I just didn't care about the characters ,the stakes, the world or anything. It's a shame too because I thought the characters in laurian's last game dragon commander were interesting.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He was actually right the first time. Nobody makes "cyberpunk" games any more. The developers for Deus Ex: Human Revolution actually commented on that in an interview; when they did market research on the "cyberpunk" term, essentially no one had heard of it, and when they described the tropes, all the kids in their target demographics just interpreted those as elements of "modern" settings. Evil corporations, corporate hackers, cybernetic implants, etc., that's all just considered modern now.

well we pretty much already live in a lovely cyberpunk setting all ready so that makes sense.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just realized the 26th isn't Tuesday fuuuuuck.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Eonwe posted:

I like watching people play games but usually its all pretty much just straight up cancer

Its mostly just nice watching someone play a game that knows how to play. Very rarely there is someone endearing enough that plays and doesn't know what they are doing but still tries, but everyone tries to do that and usually they are just boring unfunny idiots who made a bad video

Watching raw gameplay for a game I'm really anticipating gets me really hyped for it. Now that pewdiepie and the like got super popular pretty much all early content for a game is someone being irritating as gently caress trying to emulate that type of video. I feel like a old man yelling about kids on his lawn but I'm so sick of shrill voiced nerds with face cams trying to inject their brand of 'whacky' humor when it doesn't fit and isn't funny*.

*to me, my nephews love seeing idiots yell at GTA online

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Bilharzia posted:

YT: "the graphics are, err, Ice-o-teric, which means the backgrounds are, um, frozen."

I know exactly who you're talking about and I pretty much stopped watching after he said that.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

how are the summons? I was thinking about going that route for my chanter but those abilities tend to drop off in usefulness in these types of games.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ovenboy posted:

Does anyone know when the game comes out?

in 6 hours from this post

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I wonder if PoE will set the high water mark of games to come out of kickstarter.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm getting a weird audio bug where is sounds like I'm opening and closing the journal over and over unless I restart.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I had a short conversation with Edar that ended with me saying I need somebody's help and now all he says is welcome to town. Did I mess up recruiting him or something?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I really like the way companion talk is handled in this game. It prevents the baldur's gate problem of Arieth bitching about her wings in the middle of a dangerous dungeon and the Dragon age problem of you not knowing when your party has new things to say.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I hate to be that guy but I really wish we could turn off backer npcs. They sort of make the atmosphere of the game feel like a MMO when I see them with their dumb names.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

This is a pretty minor complaint but I really wish the unique weapons had unique icons/models. It's lame as hell to get Azmodeus' killer broadsword of acid and it looks just like a regular fine sword.

I also wish pets acted like familiars in Baldur's gate where you can have short interactions and maybe use them for light scouting.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What's the deal with the midgrade cipher spells? it starts great but it seems like the abilities are getting worse and worse (maybe I'm picking the wrong stuff though). Like unless I'm missing something soul ignition is pretty terrible and puppet master takes so long I might as well gib a motherfucker with my sick magic blunderbuss. Please tell me you start to get more great debuffs later like mental binding.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

FriggenJ posted:

Its my understanding the patch is dropping today? I'm pretty hyped about it!

Is the expansion coming today too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any place with good up to date character builds? I kind of want to try something different but the last time I played the game was several major patches ago.

• Locked thread