Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

Are the dwarves in this game majestic underground artisans and mechanical savants, or are they 3rd-world plains-dwelling piranha people?

Think Marco Polo and you won't go far wrong for the first type. Then you have the pale dwarves, who are basically inuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

theshim posted:

I'm probably going to end up doing this aren't I

god drat

Do you hate yourself?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ravenfood posted:

One big change is that it removes the [Strength 13] notice from before the dialogue "I'm going to smash your knees" so you dont know if it is a regular speech option or a special one.

It also hides interactions you don't qualify for and the AoE reticule, I believe. Among other things.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

More seriously there already is a sort of "death knight" in game -- Bleak Walker paladins. One really interesting build I've seen mentioned is a Bleak Walker paladin with "each time an enemy is killed" benefits, an arquebus, and the +100% damage to a single attack "flames of devotion" power. Open each fight by blasting away one enemy with the arquebus then go to town.

I was debating testing this out in the current build. I'm not clear whether the AoE is focused on you, or on the enemy you kill. If it's on you, it more or less renders that build useless, as Bleak Path wouldn't actually hit any enemies.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is there friendly fire for AoE effects? That really annoyed me in Dragon Age. I just wanted to toss around grease fires without setting my own people on fire, game! Why must you be so troublesome?

Yep. The AoE ring has two sections. A yellow and green one. Bits in the yellow section have friendly fire, bits in the green section are your INT bonus and they don't.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hieronymous Alloy, I just checked the ranged Bleak Walker build. Black Path is focused on you, so if you're using a ranged weapon it's useless as all of the enemies are out of range. You can still get the bonus from Inspiring Triumph though, obviously. I've been using more or less exactly the same build in this BB with a pike and that works really well. You can get some quite impressive DPS out of a paladin if you build her right.

It's a shame though, a gun-toting Bleak Walker sniper would have been cool.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

xthetenth posted:

Clearly the answer is to engage the enemy more closely.

The wind-up on guns is so long that I can't really imagine wanting to use them up close.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Grump Grump. Maybe with maxed out Int? Go all Solomon Kane.

I thought that too. The build I tested maxed INT for that reason, still not a good enough range for guns. You could do it if you're willing to stand just behind the frontliners, then it essentially just becomes my pike build with more occasional harder hits.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Well, that works though because Pike and Arquebus are in the same weapon set, right, Soldier? So you open with medium range arquebus blast and then go to town with pike or great sword.

Oh, yeah, didn't think of that. That works.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My general advice for a wizard would be to max Int and Might. Dexterity might be good for maxing a speed-dump wizard and probably could work BUT you'd have the problem that you only get so many spells per encounter / per rest and if you dump them all then what are you doing?

You could probably build a reasonable high DEX wizard around penetrating blast.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

AXE COP posted:

Wizards' lower level spells will turn from per rest to per level as you get more experience.

Does that actually happen in the latest build? As far as I could tell I never used to in previous.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sensuki posted:

I think it was dropped. I can see why too.

Yeah. It would be hellish to balance. They should really change the text at chargen then, though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh, according to ropekid's twitter, the damage on Flames of Devotion has been tuned down, but it's been made 2 per encounter rather than 1. Seems like a fair trade-off.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Megazver posted:

rope kid, I know we're not getting the orlan detective as a companion, but is he, like, anywhere in the game? Can we become his bro and help him solve a crime or something?

If not, this should be your top priority for the expansion.

Nah, man. gently caress the fantasy pigs. House Doemenel all the way.

Though he did seem pretty cool. Shame he got cut.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

botany posted:

1: Do we know what the player character's entry into the game will be like, story-wise? Not looking for specifics, just general stuff. (I.e., stuck in Irenicus' dungeon in BG2, the village fair in NWN2 etc.)

You're travelling with a caravan of settlers and Events Occur™ is the non-spoiler version of the set-up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sensuki posted:

Depending on how you want to display it - +0.5, x1.5 or +50% :P

I always thought it was only crits against targets under 50% health. Now I think I know what Obsidian QA was doing back when Minor Threat was bugged and damage was mulitplicative - Hearth Orlan Rogue with this talent and two battle axes, what's up?

Yeah, it synergises incredibly well with critical focus too, if you have a paladin in the area.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Eej posted:

Let's kickstart a new medieval fantasy RPG but turn it around on people and later mention it's set in the Islamic Golden Age.

I'd be up for some Moorish politicing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

PoE is coming out in the middle of my spring break so I'm gonna make my first game as memorable as possible by playing with Trial By Iron and Expert Mode Lite* enabled. Normal difficulty. It'll make for a good story at least, provided that I don't run into a game-breaking bug.

Hey, Trial of Iron-Normal buddy. We're going to die so hard.

Aeonsim posted:

So the 6 basic effects are Flanked, Hobbled, Weakened, Dazed, Prone, Stuck, Frightened and Charmed.

Flanked is unique (unfavorable physical positioning)
Hobbled is unique (Physically slowed down and debuffed)
Weakened is unique (physically weakened)
Dazed is unique? (Mental based slow down and debuffed)
Prone & Stuck are overridden by Stunned (unable to move/act)
Frightened is overridden by Terrified (mental fear based)
Charmed is overridden by Dominated (mind control)

Stunned is in turn overridden by Paralyzed (can't do anything)

Paralyzed is overridden by Petrified (can't do anything and takes increased damage)

Thus you could stack up Flanked, Stuck, Frightened and Charmed on one character.
OR Flanked, Frightened and Paralyzed
Flanked, Terrified, Charmed and Hobbled and so forth.

That's pretty much how I understood it. One thing I've been meaning to check but not got around to yet is to see what the time effects are.

For instance, if you hit someone with a 16 second Frightened effect, then immediately with a 6 second Terrified effect, would, after 6 seconds of being Terrified, they then get 10 seconds of Frightened, or does the shorter Terrified effect delete the longer Frightened effect totally?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ravenfood posted:

Six seconds of terror and ten of fright.

Cheers.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

KPC_Mammon posted:

We can't really answer this until the game is released. Every point in a skill costs one more point than the last, so specializing ends up very expensive. Once the game is released and modders have searched through all of the game's dialog trees we'll know for sure.

Edit: I don't really see the point in gaming skills in this game. Take Stealth if you want to avoid fights. Take lore if you want to use high level scrolls. Someone needs mechanics, but it is a party based game where you can custom make additional NPC hirelings. Not sure how you could shoot yourself in the foot.

For mechanics, it almost seems like you want at least one character who focuses on nothing else, there are some pretty difficult unlocking/disarming challenges in the beta.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, I'm not interested in "best build" so much as "hey, monks benefit more from might than dex if you use a weapon;"

Less straight up "take these talents" and more first principles from which to look at things.

Do you want a fast monk or an occasionally hard hitting monk? That's more or less the MIG/DEX trade-off. Might feels better against high DT enemies, while DEX feels better against low DT enemies, but that's just instinct, I'm sure some people have done the maths on it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hulk Smash! posted:

Yeah, I don't actually expect people here to do that for day 1. I just personally don't enjoy theorycrafting bit I do enjoy the not completely messing up a class/build it gives. Though, to be fair, that seems a lot harder to do in this than in old IE games.

Basically, the rule is, decide how you want to play, then build towards that. If you don't take anything that isn't in line with the character concept you've envisioned, then you'll almost certainly come out with something, if not optimal, then playable.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TG-Chrono posted:

Did they get review copies or whatever? How the gently caress does it work that some money spinning LPer gets access prior to backers?

They're free marketing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Boggus posted:

A question about Bleak Walkers, since I am considering playing one for my first game. They are described as brutal and merciless as a means to an end to finish conflicts quickly. The quickest way is that the enemies surrender when Bleak Walkers are called in. So far, so good. Presence results in conflict ending.

But isn't the act of accepting surrender merciful? For roleplaying (and game mechanics purposes) how should a Bleak Walker act when an enemy surrenders if they realize they are up against a Bleak Walker?

I tend to think of them as fantasy nuclear weapons. Simply having them can make the other side give up, but once combat has started with them, one way or another it's going to end with literally everyone being dead.

So, yeah, you can probably take terms before a sword is drawn, but for roleplaying purposes, once that sword is out of its sheathe, no-one leaves alive.

E: ^Basically what Walrus Pete said.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ovenboy posted:

Yeah, I totally get this, but I can't help but feel like there's gotta be some nuances as well.

Isn't the whole paladin thing that there aren't nuances? They're fanatics.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 23, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A Steampunk Gent posted:

They're PoE's analogue of Blackguards/anti-Paladins, their whole gimmick is committing war crimes for the '''greater good'''. There's the Goldpact faction if you want to play as a pragmatic Paladin without such a 'kill, crush, destroy' ethos

Weirdly, ropekid said somewhere in the old thread that he considers Goldpacts to be the most morally shady of the paladin orders, and considering they're competing with the Bleak Walkers, they must have done some really messed up stuff.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A good point, well made.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If you hate fun then no

otherwise yes

But I've heard rumours that ropekid hates fun too, so even then, yes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Should be today. I'm pretty sure that Brandon Adler over on the official boards said it would be Monday or Tuesday, and considering it wasn't Monday...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

frajaq posted:

What did you mean exactly at the Paladin part that a Bleak Walker is one of the hardest hitting builds right now?

They get two talents to buff the damage of Flames of Devotion rather than the one that other classes get. Which, before the nerf (and I don't know how it works now) used to allow you to get a Full Attack plus 200% damage, before taking into account any extra passive buffs you had. A crit on that would be significant. I never tried it with an aquebus, but in the BB with a pike it was still good enough to do stupid damage.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I suspect it wasn't anything more complicated than arquebus + flames of devotion + high base might + zealous focus + critical focus. You could add in black path, Death Godlike, and Bloody Slaughter if you want to gild the lily, but I suspect it's just that you can build paladins generally for huge arquebus crits if you want and if you do that Bleak Walkers start looking really badass because of their on-kill bonuses.

edit: ok yeah Rakhan Field too. Wheeeeeeeee ok that would be fun gonna have to try that at least once

Yeah, my plan for the main game is Black Path, Rakhan Field, Intense Flames, either Critical Focus or Weapon Set Soldier, Envenomed Strike and Bloody Slaughter. I've not decided on the best order to take them yet though.

A DPS paladin probably isn't optimal, but it's fun, and there are enough that you can take purely offensive or self-buffing abilities at every level where you get them as well as the talents (Flames of Devotion, Critical Focus, Inspiring Triumph, Sworn Enemy, Deprive the Unworthy, then the one that ups your defences against mental effects that I can't remember the name of).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SunAndSpring posted:

Remember when they hated Morrowind on release because they thought it was a dumbed down version of Daggerfall, and nowadays it usually makes the top 10 list on their annual Best RPGs voting?

At least they saw the light.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

madstrike posted:

On the other hand, Fallout was not made by Rope Kid so ... it's fun. :allears:

I too enjoy going for the eyes every turn.

But seriously, Fallout 1 and 2 were good games. Lets not start mocking people for liking them. They had flaws, sure, but I can't think of a single CRPG that has nailed both combat and story.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

UrbicaMortis posted:

Actually, I wonder how being a solitary paladin, like you will be in PoE works? If you;re a kind wayfarer it makes sense but a solitary Bleak Walker wandering around seems quite strange.

I'd wondered about that. It seems odd that someone in a mercenary order would be wondering around the Dyrwood seemingly without orders.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Furism posted:

It's late for most of the rest of the world.

Not really. It's 4:00-5:00 in the afternoon in Europe. Just when people are finishing work, ideal.

Morol posted:

Any news about preload?

Keys for that should be going out later today.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 24, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I just looked at the manual, and spellcaster abilities turning to per encounter made it in. At 9 and 10 you get 4 per encounter first level spells and at 11 and 12 4 per encounter first level spells and 4 per encounter second level spells (i.e. all their previously daily first and second level casts become per encounter).

Level 9 wizards with 4 per encounter slickens, here we go.

If this doesn't completely made spellcasters into gods relative to physical classes, I will be shocked.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 25, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bug or feature?

I'm coming down on the side of feature.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Until I saw that, I genuinely didn't know that there was any vertical movement on the models. I'd assumed they were 3D animations of a set height on a 2D plane.

(This shows how little I understand how rendering works, I suppose.)

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 25, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

RagnarokAngel posted:

The download or the allocation? Because the actual download should be 6, it's just 14 gigs once its been uncompressed.

I'm on a mac and my download was 11.6 gig total.

Comstar posted:

In the beta...err...how do you level up? I have 6K experience, only used 1K, but there seems no obvious button to level up?

There should be a plus in the top corner of the character portrait.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

For the people who've been watching the streams, are there any multiple checks? 3 Survival and 12 Perception or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

derra posted:

Deflection and reflex are also not useless, even on ranged characters.

Reflex especially, as most things that will hit them are AoEs which, a huge proportion of the time, are reflex saves.

Furism posted:

Don't focus (:rimshot:) too much on Interrupt, you can't really build a character around that unless you really dedicate the character to that.

Yeah, but that's true of almost any build. You can only really build a great character around damage if you focus in on that. Interrupt builds are perfectly doable, they're just not as obvious. A support/interrupt chanter is really good, for example. Build it like a pump PER and DEX, a bit of RES, give it a morningstar and voila. Off-tank buffing and locking down.

Probably still not as good as an interrupt barbarian, but I've not tried that since the interrupt changes.

• Locked thread