Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Only just started this game a bit ago, but about to get to what I think is the end of Act 1.

It is amazing.

There have been a few notes that struck off, but overall the game has been really cool. Raedric's Keep was incredible fun especially. Have greatly enjoyed the ability to just grab a new dude at the Inn whenever I want to see how some other class plays in preparation for my second playthrough, and then when I feel I've got a handle on them I can drop them off at the keep and they continue helping me out doing stuff there and I never feel like I wasted my time.

But most of all, I am looking forward to the part where I kill Durance. It's coming, for sure - if it doesn't come in terms of the main plot, it will still come. I look forward to getting to experiment with making a few priests of the other deities after that happens.

Everyone says high perc. characters suck, but I'm currently running a team with quite a bit of ranged and melee perception and the ability to just lock down enemy spell casters and bosses is actually super useful. Fighting these huge dudes and laughing because they never once get off a hit is fun.

I am definitely, definitely doing a second run through though, since now I'm full up on fleshed out companions and so spending a bit less time playing with party variations, and I've made lots of mistakes in builds I wouldn't next time around. Who knows though, might end up going back to more testing after I've made some more story progress. I'm sure there's plenty more mistakes to make.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Four Score posted:

Bahaha. Jump down a hole on level 2 of Endless Paths and end up in level 5. I wish I'd noticed what depth it was before I'd used my last campfire and exhausted all my daily spells killing a drake, now I get to climb back out through three uncleared levels. :shepicide:

This was basically the first thing I did after getting the Stronghold. Hit the first floor, killed some dudes, found the pit, had climbing equipment and good athletics but said "gently caress it" and chose to jump in.

It was incredibly fun to clear out that floor. But here's something important: You don't have to climb up any additional levels, there's an exit on that floor directly to the outside.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm still hammering away at it and it will take me a while yet to finish. The game only just came out, I'm not surprised so few people have finished it.

So, question: On the elemental floor of the endless paths, what the heck does putting the things on the things do? Is it meaningful in any way?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So, I stopped reading the thread for a while due to the wall of endless spoilers, and mostly came back to say I'm disappointed.

I've just completed the Endless Paths, and everything I'd heard from everyone previously had said this would be a huge challenge. I'm on normal, the Adra Dragon and his mooks was a complete pushover. My group wasn't maxxed out although it was close, with dudes ranging from lv10 to lv12. Had a pretty standard party, my rogue and Eder, Durance, Kana, Hirivias, and Aloth. It was a straight up fight with no preparation since I honestly didn't expect him to come stomping out of the darkness, but the battle was over relatively quick, and none of my characters ended up taking more than like 10% damage. I thought everyone said this fight was supposed to kick my rear end? Fighting the ghosts two floors previous had been way more of a challenge, I actually lost people to two of those fights!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Rascyc posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it never used its breath attack.

I think it did. But he never actually hit my dudes with it. What's it range? I expected him to be tough, so the first half of the fight was how I begin all the fights that look tough - me falling back and just sending summons (blights/shades/beetles/wurms/dragons) after it to tie it up while my priest and druid and mage were getting their boosts and buffs and debuffs set up and everyone else was plinking it with ranged attacks. How long is the range on it's breath attack? I do know it wiped out all my summons once or twice and I had to pull new ones. Once all that was done, he seemed pretty trivial to lock down with my stunning weapons, knockdown, grease, and slumber.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Durance is my mechanics dude. You don't really need to be a rogue to go for it.

Also, I had access to summons even without summoning items via the druid and chanter, so I'm not sure if things actually would have changed that much. The ability to send enemies prone in various ways is really the most overpowered and broken thing in this game though. Using grease to send flying enemies prone is particularly hilarious, and at level.. 10? 10, I think, you can cast it per-encounter, with the Ring of Wizardy that's 7 casts!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Speaking of bugs, what are everyone's favorites?

I'm sort of split between the ever-growing slime because it happens so often and always susprises me while being hilarious, and the never-ending electrical storm that travels with you from screen to screen forever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I don't know how people can not like the spell systems. Wizards/Druids/Priests are awesome, trying to judge fights and manage resources is fun, and it's not like you can't essentially rest whenever the heck you want. I love the challenge of making it through as many fights as i can without resting, and this is running a per-rest heavy party. (one each of the above three classes) Though there is definitely a big boost to power when those classes have their spells turn from per-rest to per-encounter later in the game.

Ciphers, though, man. I frickin' hate ciphers. I hate their abilities, I hate their stupid countup thing, I hate pretty much every single aspect of them mechanically.

I am glad this game has the mechanics to appeal to many different types of play styles, and you can pretty much ignore the things you don't like and still do pretty awesome while having lots of fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sensuki posted:

The only person I see crying here is you

The Codex did all the work, I merely put forward the idea that the review sucked/was pointless compared to Decado's. Seems that there's quite a lot of Codexers that agree. Even the author admits that Vault Dweller's review is much better. The only people that disagree are you and Bubbles <uberfanbois>.

Hmm. Nah. I read both of them and the official one sucks but the forum one is pretty good. Your opinions also seem to suck though so I can see why you'd prefer it.

double nine posted:

re:adra dragon. If there is anyone who thinks they can win this with my party - here's my save file. The adra dragon is already aggro because of the quest so ... have fun?

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/493849/a6419cf8-4eb3-494a-8a94-922d0cb6d8d4%20quicksave.savegame

I refuse to believe this setup can win that combat encounter.

Can't you just reset to the autosave from when you first entered the floor if you've got to work on better positioning/composition?

quote:

Wizards and druids are the exception in Pillars' generally excellent class differentiation. While the aesthetics are different, mechanically they play similarly. Any druid spell would work as a wizard spell, and vice versa, if you changed the icon, name, and flavour description to fit the class's style, and both have a broad-enough selection to fit most situations. Both can even temporarily turn themselves into melee combatants: wizards with self-buffs, druids with Wildshape. There are differences in detail, development, and power curve -- buffed wizards are a great deal stronger than Wildshaped druids, for example -- but they are effectively interchangeable in the party.
This didn't feel true to me at all. Yes, the main difference between the two is spell selection, but spell selection is a pretty big difference! Druids are definitely not interchangeable with priests - if anything, they are interchangeable with wizards. Priests are all about buffs and debuffs and traps and healing, all of which druids can't really do, which druids, like wizards, come with ways to inflict status effects like prone and charmed and lots of ways to deal damage.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 22, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm far enough along in the game right now that I'd like to say:
The writing in this game might not always have been as tight as I would have liked, some of the plotting fell flat...

But the worldbuilding, the actual world the game is set in, is the best. It is, hands down, my favorite fantasy world from any game in the genre that I've come across. It blows all the D&D setting games out of the water (while still cleaving a bit too close to them in other ways), the soul stuff is all really cool, and the conflicts between religion and animancy and all that stuff is great.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 22, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

DrShevek posted:

I really wish they would have kept vancian casters as vancian casters. Those per encounter spells are a bit imbalanced and subvert the rest mechanic.

To be fair, the fact that the only side effect of resting is having to spend a few coins the next time you're in town subverts it significantly more.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My favorite banter is still the Eder/Sagani banter, and if they have hit certain banter triggers by the time you get to twin elms they get another adorable banter during one of the quests.

Most of the banters seem to be based around have different combinations of characters in your party (obviously) but some are definitely triggered by events.

Unfortunately said events only ever trigger one banter and its random, so I have noticed multiple times that if I reload I will get different event response banters.

None of it is super important, but it does flesh out the characters.

I can't remember if I saw any three-person banters.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ThePutty posted:

so i just murdered everyone in the crucible keep

should i load an old save at this point or just keep going

Definitely keep going. If you kill the Dominoes and Dozens as well, then you get to represent the cool house at the town hall meeting.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 24, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

derra posted:

Weapon accuracy isn't a huge deal as you progress there isn't that big of a difference in damage between a critical and a graze AND spells can significantly debuff accuracy. It doesn't hurt but it's not the most important stat.

If there was a good way to raise spell accuracy I'd be all over that but your options are very limited.

Do accuracy buffs raise spell accuracy?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

precision posted:

I don't know who at Obsidian loves Druids but I'm not complaining. Druids are by far the most fun and useful casters in the game.

I'm honestly not feeling why people love druids so much. They really do just seem like less-good Wizards to me. Wizards can deal just as much damage but have better crowd control.

Also, imo priests are way more useful as casters than druids as well. Buffs, debuffs, spell-traps, negating charmed/dominated/confused and other afflictions, and a variety of neat little priest-type talents. What's not to love?

Don't get me wrong, I think druids are alright, but I definitely consider one of my non-essential party classes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Are poison cloud traps supposed to have a minimum of 1000 points of raw damage? No wonder it instakilled my dudes the one time I wandered into one...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You guys are confused - the type of friendly fire being complained about is the one where you can actually target point spells and abilities at allies.

Which is kind of necessary since sometimes you really want those allies to die, thanks to domination!

exquisite tea, how is it you'd actually like this to work to prevent you from clicking on the wrong target? It's... it's not something I've had a problem with myself, and I'm an incredibly inaccurate clicker. Especially since everything takes time, and you get immediate feedback about who you targeted so it's trivially easy to correct.

Are you not using pause at all or something? That's the only sort of thing I could see leading to the problem you're describing, and that's quite a self-crippling limitation you've laid on yourself if so.

Also, for anyone looking to make things more controllable, I strongly recommend setting up your auto-pause settings. I find setting them to auto-pause whenever someone completes an ability or gets interrupted to be particularly useful.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 25, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Volume posted:

He's a god drat wizard! It's not unthinkable that his wizardy could help with that. :colbert:
And you can in fact choose spells where he uses his wizardry to manage that! They're just less powerful as a drawback.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also, I didn't get a response, so I'm asking again:

I'm assuming the 1000 point base raw damage of the poison cloud trap is in fact a bug?

Because instantly winning the final boss fight is pretty goddamn funny, which that totally allows.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah, I'm not gonna say I love the health system, but I don't understand people having a problem with it? I mean, you basically get one free "death" and then a "now, seriously, try not to get in another fight" situation.

I agree though, they should add the ability for enemies to just whale on some downed party member and do damage directly to their health. Imagine one of your downed dudes getting mauled by a Staelgar so suddenly it becomes about attracting it's attention and pulling him off the victim.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 25, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

bunnielab posted:

How rare/common are enchanting materials? Like, do I need to save the or treat them like common consumables?

Some of them are incredibly rare, some are super common.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I loved the game, and love strongholds, but the stronghold really wasn't that good.

It could have been a lot better and more enjoyable with better design, but it seemed to actively undermine itself at every turn. The best example has to be the ability to rest there: Like a third of the construction items are for rest bonuses, but then the stronghold gates resting behind three load screens (6 both ways) and splits them up so that they are less valuable than any rest bonus from any town (which are only behind 2/4 load screens). It subverts any purpose one could have had for doing things. It does this sort of thing for pretty much every one of its mechanics, it's just weird and dumb.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This has been the only infinity engine style game where I actually enjoyed the combat. I don't think the combat was perfect, but it was just... leagues and leagues beyond, say, Planescape Torment, or the Baldur's Gate or the first Icewind Dale (which was so bad I never bothered to finish it or play the second). I didn't actually finish Torment, despite it being an amazing game, because I simply couldn't stomache any more of the absolutely terrible combat - but I'm reconsidering replaying PoE on the hardest difficulty just so I can experiment with different party compositions and abilitity.

The only other CRPG I actually enjoyed the combat for was the Fallout series, and I think this had combat even better than that.

It's certainly got a lot of room for improvement, especially in terms of encounter design, but I really hope it forms a foundation for this style of game moving forward.

Here's some things I would change though:
All positioning abilities happen instantly. Rogue-position-swapping, Warrior "pull-into-engagement", that sort of stuff. With the way they are implemented now, they take so long to work that they almost never do. Defensive abilities like Arcane Veil can go in this pile too. This stuff should be completely removed from the normal speed and recovery stuff and just happen the moment you press the button for them. The addition of immediate abilities in general could add a lot to the game.

Moving should be a bit slower. Many abilities like hindering and moving to tie up enemies and protect your own dudes, that sort of thing, are less than useful because melee characters close the gap so drat quick.

Need more reason to vary up strategies. Making flying and floating enemies immune to Slicken would be a good start.

Wizard Styles posted:

That got changed, thankfully:

Goddamnit, this is a cruel trick. Can you seriously rest from anywhere in the Stronghold just by using that button?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Volume posted:

Maybe this isn't the game for you. Have you tried Diablo 3?

Yeah, but I didn't like it very much. I think it just isn't the game for me.

Octo1 posted:

It might be interesting to have some abilities that ignore recovery, but not too many or it might get silly.
Agreed, and should probably be limited to strictly tactical abilities, like changing engagement rules, toggling some sort of passive boost on, or stuff like that. Nothing that does damage or anything for sure.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 26, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

rope kid posted:

I think there are a lot of things that could be better about the stronghold both in basic design and execution. We ran into various implementation problems during development that we hadn't expected and I believe we can have both better systems and content if we make a sequel.

That was honestly exactly the feeling I got from it, so I'm not surprised.

I honestly think if you guys just combined all the sleeping bonuses right now and added a handful of peasant NPCs for each upgrade, the Stronghold would already be a lot better just with those two things alone - a reason to come back and upgrade stuff, and something to make it feel bit more alive when you do.

Was the reason for splitting up the rest bonuses technical, or was there another reason?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A Stronghold in a future title would be more interesting if there was an optional quest chain tied to its reconstruction/ruling.

I will say that the Endless Paths were super fun, but it would have been cool if they interacted with the fortress in some way, especially since there was all the stuff talking about how it was supposed to interact with the fortress. I can only imagine that was actually planned and fell victim to a lack of dev time and unforseen complications though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

sassassin posted:

5) You can't get back in time for short-term events
I'm not sure what this means. I never had a problem getting back for the (few) timed events. All the ones that require you to be at the fortress give you like a week to return.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ugh, the "percent of (x) to (x)" are the worst. I didn't take a single one, just by virtue of the fact that I plain didn't want to think about them.

Also, because when you run the math they all totally suck.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

jon joe posted:

Has everything in this game been fixed enough to make a Trials of Iron run possible yet, or do the "haha you're dead" glitches still exist?

The "character getting stuck in the wall" glitch is still present but so long as you don't care about cheevos easy enough to fix with the console.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Has anyone here got a good strat for killing Nalrend the Wise? Like gently caress this encounter on hard. She's harder than loving Thaos. Ogres in general give my party trouble.

Party that I've been stomping the game with so far:

Protag: Monk as DPS(dat kick)
Fighter tank
Mage Tank with control spells
Chanter Tank
Priest Healer
Wild card rogue which I havent used/optimized very well

So please help me. I just cant beat this bitch.

First: Set up some traps, including a priest trap. Any enemy that comes close enough gets blasted, and that's always nice.
Second: Use summon items to handle the front line, keep dudes back. Switch everyone to ranged weapons, these caves are too tight for 3 tanks and tanks can't focus fire. If you run low on summons, move a single fighter up to fill the gap and keep the enemies off. Focus fire on a single enemy.
Third: Healers are dumb, there are much better ways to use the priests. Start off by buffing your dudes, and you'll probably win before you finish buffing them. I forget if ogre druids can charm, if so start with will-boosting/charm-resistance stuff, otherwise start with a general defense buff and follow with one of the might/accuracy buffs. Then I recommend debuffing the enemies - the general speed debuff, and then that one good damaging defense reducing debuff from second level on whichever ogre you're focusing at the given time. Refresh debuffs as needed.
Fourth: Use the Mage to control - cast dominate/confusion spells, prone-causing spells, defense debuffs, sickens. Personally, I like to swap between dominate and prone spells.
Fifth: Use your chanter to keep piling up on the summons if the fight lasts long enough you've run out of summon items.

I also recommend opening the battle with a nice rolling fire thing from the mage.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Doctor Borris posted:

Is there any way to work around this? Even just autoattacking would be so nice.
You can queue up actions, which I found really helped make things easier for me.

I also have the game set to pause whenever anything meaningful happens.

I don't think any AI they could possibly write would be good enough for me though, since I primarily do that to stop the AI from doing poo poo so it can do what I want instead.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

HerrBrau posted:

God drat that Adra Dragon is disproportionately tough. With a level 12 party (Eder, PC rogue, Durance, Grieving Mother, Sagani, and Aloth) I'm throwing every lockdown spell/ability then trying to get DR reduction spells to hit after before I have to lock it down again. This seems like it'd be the only possible tactic to defeat it. A few times I've gotten it down to "badly injured." :sigh:

I had no real trouble with it, but I focused on the following:
First up, rest at the +4 int place to increase your AoEs and durations, which makes everything easier.

Once the fight starts, fall back immediately. Have your rogue or Sagani hit the main enemy with a hindering ability to slow him down.

Durance should start with Salvation of Time, followed by Devotions of the Faithful. This is a +20 accuracy bonus for the party and increased damage, and a reduction in the accuracy and damage of the enemy. Follow it up with Shining Beacon, which reduces all enemy defenses in the AoE by 10. Finally, use divine mark to lower the deflection of whoever you're focusing by another 10 points as needed. Follow this up with Dire Blessing- Your effective +30 accuracy plus the increase crit range means you've actually got a decent chance at landing some crits, which helps a lot. If the battle lasts long enough you start running low on spell slots, use the weaker version of all these spells.

While this is happening, Aloth should be locking the main enemy down with slumber/slicken, and then confusing/dominating the other little guys. once the little guys are done for, start alternating between lockdown and DR reduction on the main enemy.

You'll want most of the rest of the part with ranged weapons out so they can easily focus fire from a safe distance, and you can kill the little guys as quickly as possible. In between lockdowns, Aloth's highly damaging abilities like his freeze beam can be super helpful for this.

I don't know much about Ciphers, but the above should honestly be enough to let you own the fight.

Kana's ability to boost all allies weapon damage and ranged firing speed might be of more use than Sagani to be honest.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 2, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

HerrBrau posted:

Thanks!

Yeah, I've been using them; they rarely hit.

Gonna keep trying. :)

I believe those accuracy buffs/enemy defense debuffs I mentioned also apply to the scroll hit chances, but I'm not sure.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Krinkle posted:

There are like three hundred priest spells you get all at once and I can't tell what he should be doing besides the one every level that's just a blue heal sign. I guess he can knock people down with the pillar? Same with this druid cat man I don't know what the gently caress any of his skills do I just try to pick the prettiest icon.
The heal one is probably one of the less useful ones.

Quick Summary:
Lv4: Shining Beacon is a Divine Mark vs. a group and is awesome. Devotions for the Faithful is a good buff/debuff combo, Searing Seal is a good trap.
Lv3: Circle of Protection grants a bonus to all defenses in an area and is great to start with, Dire Blessing helps your accuracy bonuses lead to a lot more damage output, Warding Seal should be dropped before a tough looking fight for the enemy to run over, and Pillar of Faith is good if you just need to do some damage ASAP.
Lv2: Iconic Project is good at damaging large groups of enemies while healing your own dudes, Divine Mark vs. Single enemies to make them easier to kill, and Suppress Afflict to counter your dude's getting mind controlled
Lv1: Bless your dudes to help them hit, very useful versus ghosts. Armor of Faith to keep them alive. Withdraw your mage if he gets surrounded to keep him alive.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 3, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Does any character have a satisfying personal quest? I've done six of them and every single one is just awful. I get them all the way to the goal line and they give up. Am I loving up somehow? Oh the one consuming desire of your whole life hit a minor snag and you give up? Okay thanks for wasting my time, rear end in a top hat.

What do you mean, "they give up"?

Durance: Comes to terms with the reality of what happened to him, and vows revenge on the goddess who tried and failed to kill him, setting off on a new quest.
Hiravias: Embraces his role as a legendary druid, defeats his nemesis, returns to his village and kicks everyone's rear end for kicking him out until they make him leader... and then abandons them to do his own thing, because he can do whatever he wants.
Aloth: Mends his conflict with and merges with his conflicted awakened soul to become a stronger person, and then goes on to pretty much singlehandedly destroy the Leaden Key as an organization for having lied to him all those years
Eder: Never finds out why his brother changed sides, but realizes that just because his brother did something doesn't mean it was right - and that he now knows more than his brother ever did, and has to make his own choices. He goes to Dyrford and creates a new life for himself out from under his brother's shadow, eventually ending up in charge and turning the town into everything he hoped Gilded Vale could be but never was.

I guess none of them end up pursuing their initial goals, but I don't think any of them ever really give up - they just find better places to end up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

X_Toad posted:

All of these spoiled parts in the previous post are, of course, only one of few (okay, generally only two. I think only Sagani has access to three possible long term endings to her quest) possiblities for the characters at the end of the game.

Kana has, like... six or something. Eder has at least three. Sagani has four I think?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

X_Toad posted:

I wasn't counting the ending when you don't complete the quest at all, if that helps.

Kana Endings include:
- Kana tells his people to isolate themselves from outsiders and that outsider knowledge is bad and they should close off the gates and rely only upon themselves. He ends up leading these very inward looking people, having come back with such incredibly proof that outsiders are poo poo. I got this one!
- "Kana's inability to prove his theory of Engwithan influence diminished his academic standing, but his passion drew much interest from those less concerned with degrees. Kana swiftly became an influential figure in the move toward a more collaborative approach to expansion on the northern continent. In his personal life, he came to enjoy the reputation of an affable eccentric, willing to share grand and impossible secrets along with a drink and a song."
- "Kana called for a new age in Rauatai culture, where his people might take their place at the forefront of progress, and pave the way toward a better future. Before his intrigued peers, he spoke of the accomplishments of the great people of Engwith, and their efforts to bring peace to Rautai and the myriad cultures of Eora. He presented the shattered tablet as proof of the Tanvii ora Toha's existence beyond Rauatai's borders, and the shared ideals of Eora's peoples."
- "Standing before the lore college, Kana Rua explained that the tablet he sought had been destroyed, and so a true interpretation of the Tanvii ora Toha could no longer exist - the people of Rauatai woul have to create their own. He described the many strange things he had seen in his travels, and announced his intent to pursue the accumulation of knowledge abroad, seeking answers to new questions. True to his word, Kana soon set sail on yet another expedition - and in Tâkowa, his passionate accounts inspired many to follow in his footsteps. "
- Kana descends into Od Nua and disappears <- This is the one you get if you simply don't finish it. But you can also convince him to give up on it himself and get...
- "After all that he had learned in the Watcher's company, Kana Rua could no longer see meaning in his pursuit of the Tanvii ora Toha. He decided to leave what remained of it within the depths of the Endless Paths, and return home. Kana bid the Watcher farewell and sailed back to Rauatai, spending the tempestuous journey reflecting on the time he had lost to the pursuit of falsehoods. His family found Kana much changed, his fiery excitement replaced with a weary solemnity. Determined to change his wandering ways, Kana took up a quiet life as a lore keeper at the college, teaching young students the traditions of their people. "

That's quite a few endings!

Also, one of Sagani's endings specifically has her going back out again when the dude reincarnates, and actually finding him this time and talking to him and stuff.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Furism posted:

It would help if the companion quests ended with something like a big fight or 'oh poo poo' events (like the end of Act 2 of the main quest). Dialogues iares fine but they just felt ... I don't know, I don't want so say "dull" but kind of. It'd be much cooler if the companions acquired a unique Talent or something.

Then you'll want Hirivias on your team. His quest ends with a unique boss fight.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

Alright don't judge me too harshly, but I am finally starting to play this again after binge-ing on the first weekend it was released (apparently playing sports 6 days a week makes you busy??).
Since I got all the companions I haven't changed my line up one bit (rogue PC, Eder, Pallegina, Aloth, Durance, Grieving Mother). I do want to do all the companion side quests though. Basically my question is: Am I supposed to be cycling the benched char's in to get their side quests moving or can I just tackle them in 1 go whenever I feel like it? (Note: I am not very far, overleveled...but only in the Tower in Heritage Hill doing some investigating)

Some characters absolutely need to be present for certain events in order to complete their quests. I think the only one that requires that, but isn't on your team right now, is Kana - I'd bring him with you whenever you go diving into the Endless Paths. I'd recommend holding onto Durance when you get to Twin Elms especially, since he's one of those whose quest cannot be completed if you miss the trigger.

I think Aloth needs to have part of his quest done before a cutoff point you're not far from hitting, so hopefully you've already done that.

You can tackle most of them whenever you want to, so long as you haven't entered the last part of the game yet. You'll get quite a bit more interaction with the characters who join you for the last part that can influence where they end up, and a good bit of special interaction for characters that join you for a certain part in Twin Elms, which is required for Durance but still cool for the other folks. You'll have to choose who you care about most to go through these parts with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Furism posted:

Also some events are triggered after N amount of days on the road with you (or is it X amount of rests?) so if you don't bring the character along at least a little bit their quest won't move. Grieving Mother is like that, IIRC.

You can just repeated rest at the keep for this though, right?

netcat posted:

I've started playing with an all custom made party (except my bff Pallegina) and I'm having a lot more fun than with the regular companions :ohdear:
Honestly, I liked my little custom dudes and the stories I built up in my head about them quite a bit. I'm glad I kept Durance on, though, it was great to always have someone to fight with about things.

• Locked thread