Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I bought PoE at launch and went out of town like three days later. I got two characters to he first city but had no idea what I was doing so I plan to restart when I get home. Is there a decent walkthrough/wiki for this thing yet? I want to read up on the different classes and mechanics without having to skim through this entire thread dodging spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am about to dive into this game for the first time, doing my usual crpg thing where I play two concurrent games, one "good" and one "evil". Looking for some insight on the following:

Good: Barbarian, 2-handed weapons

Evil/greedy: Rouge, duel wield, maybe pistols?

Looking for advice for what race to use, what builds to look at, what companions will offer the most fun experience for each run. I usually play on "normal" as I have a short attention span.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

I still ended up picking Weapon Focus for my Rogue, Monk and Barbarian at some point. Barbarians definitely like the extra accuracy. Rogues and Monks could easily do without it, but extra accuracy for secondary effects is always nice.
I don't prioritize them, though, and generally the fighting styles and modals are better. Also, I had no Priest or Paladin around for this playthrough, but plenty of Deflection-lowering debuffs.

Race: Doesn't really matter that much. There are races with special abilities that trigger when the character dips below certain Endurance thresholds, those can be useful for the Barbarian since their Frenzy ability (which you should always take at first level) hides how much Endurance you have left when active, and it's nice to at least get some information on how close a character is to getting KO'd.

Builds:
Barbarian: For class abilities, take Frenzy at level 1 and Savage Defiance at 3. I don't think anything else is particularly amazing. Don't take the Yell/Shout abilities. When it comes to talents, anything that helps accuracy, damage and cutting through damage reduction is going to be useful, because of the Barbarian's Carnage ability, which is strong but limited by Carnage attacks made with reduced accuracy and negative damage modifiers. This extends to weapons; for example, Estocs are good weapons for a Barbarian because they ignore a lot of damage reduction.
Rogue:

Awesome info, thanks!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Restarted the game, my rogue is kicking rear end and taking names, but my Barb still hasn't hit his stride yet.

I assume there isn't an Dungeon B Gone mod for this yet?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sensuki posted:

I don't imagine there'll be any major mods other than the IE mod and probably zero content mods, specifically because of the data structure Obsidian chose to use for the game.

Sharedassets are extremely mod-unfriendly. Assetbundles are fairly mod friendly. The areas and scenes use sharedassets. The stuff like weapons, creatures and whatnot uses Assetbundles. You can edit a creature's stats, but it'd be a bit of a pain in the rear end to add a new encounter to the game (not impossible, but just a lot of effort / a bit dodgy).

Dear Ropekid, please patch in some kinda "just start after the prolog" click box please. I really am digging this game but my need to start a million PCs is being hampered by the dumb prolog.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
How rare/common are enchanting materials? Like, do I need to save the or treat them like common consumables?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Some of them are incredibly rare, some are super common.

Ok, so like, is there a list or a wiki or something? I just started and want to gussy up my spear. Is it safe to assume that the early game stuff is pretty common?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Scorchy posted:

Consumable ingredients are pretty easy to find and purchasable at vendors or drop off common enemies. Enchanting ingredients can be rarer and seem to have a gated progression throughout the game. The key ingredients for the Superb enchantments are very rare and there's only 2 of them in the game each. I'd say just enchant or craft what you want and only worry about the Superb enchantments.

Awesome, my spear is gonna start kicking rear end.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

I would hope what people take away is that all content costs something to make. If a bunch of people are asking for new dialogues and quests in the expansion, I have to ask how many characters and quests they want cut from the expansion areas, with the understanding that at a certain reduction of quest density, associated maps disappear with them.

What would it cost, in general terms, to make a game like PoE exactly the way you wanted with no compromises? In both money and time?

I have three parties like almost to act three and am loving it. My only two complaints are 1) load times, which might be my PC, and)2 it feels sometimes like the combats seem crowded and difficult to manage visually. Like, the way the transparent layers of some of the backgrounds and the character/monsters overlap and confusing manner. It's not something I really remember noticing in the IE games I played. Seems like the camera angle is lower maybe?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand at all the fuss over the stronghold poo poo. Like, what game had a stronghold management component that was bad enough to get people up in arms over it?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Am I dumb, or is the respect option not in the beta yet?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

I only have the one comparative example, but I'd think you end up getting less for sequels, anyway. Shadowrun made less for its kickstarted sequel than the original. Fewer backers, and fewer dollars per backer spent.

Yea, but Dead Man's Switch was a pretty lovely game. I didn't back the second one because of that and only backed HK because Dragonfall, while still not very good, was playable and is really the only SR game we are gonna get.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Furism posted:

PST, sorry.

Looks like I was wrong, too, as :siren: THE GAME IS AVAILABLE NOW! :siren:

A very pleasant surprise. It's not featured on Steam though, which is not super helpful.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
rope kid your game is very good and pretty much is a perfect homage to the IE games. I hope you guys make some money on this and can keep on keepin on. I am a fickle dude when it comes to RPGs but I cannot stop playing PoE.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I cant get the White March into quest to fire with the second CHAR I tried it with. The first save I loaded worked fine but when I switched CHAR I cant get the quest to fire. I am well into Act 2 and am currently in Copperlane. Anyone else have this issue?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What is the official bug reporting channel? I have reset everything and still can't get a second Character to have the White March initial quest trigger.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I managed to fix my game by removing the saves to the desktop, restarting the game, closing it, replacing the saves, then starting it again. The quest fired as soon as I loaded the save. No idea why, but it worked.

Now I am worried about the soulbound weapons deal, that is, say killing off all the beetles before I can upgrade that staff. I'm also trying to avoid over leveling, what is the general sweet spot, plot and level wise to begin the expansion? I assume if I start it around levels 7-8 I will be way over leveled for the remainder of the main story if I finish WM?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have hit a weird bug where some of my party moves very very slowly, even on fast mode and poor Zahra cant move at all when stealthed. It's kinda annoying.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

Does he have anything on that reduces speed? For some reason speed modifiers are hosed in this patch.

Hah, yea, noticed that. Ender has the armor that slows you down and some boots that speed you up. It should almost even out be he zips around at like double speed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wizzzrd posted:

If we do not get a barbarian companion I will be surprised considering it's the only companion we are missing. The card game is going to be sweet though. I'm a big fan of tabletop games and the Pillars universe so I backed it. I can't wait for the game to actually come out. Speaking of barbarians, does anyone roll with one as their pc? I've thought about it but for some reason barbarians never really do it for me except for in Howard's classic stories.

One of my concurrent playthroughs stars Bro-nan the fun loving barbarian and his merry band of fuckups. My RP rule is that he must always have an active "alcohol" consumable going and will take which ever conversation option is the most kind-but-pretty-trashed sounding.

Mechanically, it is hard to find a good niche for him. I have been running with Endar as my tank and using Bro-nan to flank and rush the back ranks and kill casters. But now Monk-bro is so so much better then him at that, especially because dumping AOE spells on him seems to give Wounds. I'm not sure what to respect Bro-nan as right now, but I have never tried to get much use out of Carnage so I might try a build based on that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The loss of draining weapons is kinda lame but it does mean I can give up that draining flail you get super early on.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am having spell/ability misfires as well, especially annoying is that my Barb PC's Frenzy isn't working.

Also, just made it to the end of Act 2. Not a fan at all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

I feel like misfires isn't really the right word. It just doesn't happen. It shows it is going to and I don't think I'm losing a potential cast.
It just doesn't do anything.

Taear posted:

I feel like misfires isn't really the right word. It just doesn't happen. It shows it is going to and I don't think I'm losing a potential cast.
It just doesn't do anything.

Same for me, I just worded it badly.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

Is there a way to help Calisca's sister feel better about her pregnancy without murdering a small village of innocent little reptile men?

Can I resolve the murder of that dude via bear without in turn having to murder the parties responsible (without also letting them get away with it)?

Is it possible to avoid killing all the poor bastards in the sanitarium?

It was good to read here that the villagers threatening Aloth don't have to explode into bloody chunks (and also finding that you don't need to use that lame perception check dialogue to do it), but the game is still morally repugnant wrt life.

Maybe you aren't cut out for the adventuring life. Whats the point of even owning a flaming sword if you aren't going to use it?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I would love a shift-click AI option. I only use it for mopping up fights I have already won, Kana when I want him to just stand there, shoot a bow and summon poo poo, and to focus missile fire while I try to get my front line set up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Can you change class for your PC during respec or via a mod?

The DoC is so cool, she is overshadowing my PC Rogue in my "greedy bastard" play-through.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I just use whatever equitment looks coolest :shrug:

I mean, not 100% of the time but I will take a cool looking fit over complete min/max most of the time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

Well, you've got AC Unity and Remember Me. ~*

The Darklands guys originally had plans to make expansions/sequels in areas neighboring the HRE/Greater Germany. :rip:

I would pay money just for a version of Darklands with a more readable font.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

Half the tactics didn't work either until a mod came by to fix them and unlock the rest. It was a good attempt but it was mostly an illusion of tactics. The three that did work were the ones everyone wanted though: targeting, heal yourself, and only cast these spells.

That is good to know, I just started DA:O for the first time and I cannot get the AI to work the way I want them too. Is there an thread for the game still active?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

I don't keep up but I imagine the DA3 thread would be perfectly able to help you out with anything:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681488&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Thank man!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EricFate posted:

Can't wait until you encounter your first room full of Giant Dank Spores.

It was a wild night, we listened to some old Ministry album like 4 times then ate slices of american cheese standing in a dark kitchen.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I want to restart and use a melee wizard, but all the quides are very one, can someone point me to a newer on? I don't need 100% gaming efficiency but I want to kill rear end asap.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I really really want a mod to skip the intro level. It seems like a huge omission for a game with such otherwise great quality of life features.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
For the love of god dude, make it so you can skip the damm tutorial levels. Imho is is pretty mean to make a game designed to be played over and over and then make people do the dull parts over as well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Sure, but it still takes like 20 min. I wanna try out dumb gimmick builds with ease.

Edit: because it is not fun and why the hell play a game that isnt fun?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is pretty silly! Introductory / tutorial sequences serve a necessary and vital purpose, and PoE's is better than the vast majority I've played.

Just hire an adventurer for your stunt builds tbqh.

Sure, it is necessary once, not every time I want to see how well 6 rangers with bears work. Or all mages. I just want a box I can click to start new games right after the intro.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I didn't know we could swap save files, that is really cool.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I admit that I don't really understand the attribute system at all, and just max whatever the game recommended for whatever class. In my limited understanding, Might and Int seem far more useful then the rest of them but idk. Is there a good write up of what they actually do, more detailed then the ingame descriptions but not the page long math-posts in this thread.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hah, welp yea I misunderstood most of that, is there a mod to reshuffle attributes? No idea what my problem is, all I really play are crpgs, for some reason POE's mechanics are not clicking with me. I enjoy the hell out of it though.

Harrow posted:

One of my favorite quirks of this system is that it encourages crazy strong Wizards and hyper-intelligent Barbarians.

I think the names of the abilities throw me maybe? Like, the game affects they have don't really jive with the common understanding of how those words are used in other games.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can just go to the inn and click the dice and re-spec any character from first level, including companions. There is a fee in gold but it's small.

I thought that just let you redo your level ups?

And honestly, I think I dont really like how the attributes work, like Int somehow making a Barbarian able to smack more dudes with his axe. It just seems off and by trying too hard to avoid dump stats, it makes them all kinda meaningless as you really need to be average in everything.

• Locked thread