Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would be really loving weird if there were three good zombie shows on TV right now. Walking Dead has gotten pretty good again and Z Nation is hilarious.

Waiting for a zombie Seinfeld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

It would be really loving weird if there were three good zombie shows on TV right now. Walking Dead has gotten pretty good again and Z Nation is hilarious.

The Zombieland series crashed and burned on Amazon as one of their first pilots if I remember right.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

precision posted:

There will actually be two Walking Dead shows soon, so at least four.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Walking Dead spinoff could easily suck though. And I already forgot about Zombieland.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

The Walking Dead spinoff could easily suck though.

Not even I, Mr. Positivity, think that spinoff could work.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Not even I, Mr. Positivity, think that spinoff could work.

They've got a pretty drat good cast and the people have learned what makes the show work already as evidenced by this season and the last.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

They've got a pretty drat good cast and the people have learned what makes the show work already as evidenced by this season and the last.

Really? Who do they have?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Really? Who do they have?

Cliff Curtis, Kim Dickens, and Alycia Carey (Lexa on The 100)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Is Z Nation that good?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Flaggy posted:

Is Z Nation that good?

God no. Z Nation has Guy Patterson and a bunch of other relatively no-name actors in a show written at a level barely appropriate for local access television.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
This is in the "dumb name, solid promise" bracket of shows so I expect it to be amazing and then get brutally put down like Better Off Ted.

But gently caress, it I'm on board.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
"Cagney and Pasty" Lol, ok I'll give it a couple more episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just got done watching a recording and thought it was pretty great. I really enjoyed a lot of the quick cut jokes, like her reaction to the paper and pencil trick.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I came in with no expectations at all and it's funny, campy and good!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Soothing Vapors posted:

That's absolutely what it means. You don't hire David Anders for a 10 second cameo

I didn't expect him to not show up again, I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out that every crime they solve is zombie-related, or the plot shifts from crime-solving to stopping the bad zombies, or something like that.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
""I can choose to find justice for a fellow dead girl."

Never knew I needed zombie Veronica Mars in my life.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Just watched the pilot on Hulu and enjoyed it. Do we know how long this season will be?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

13 episodes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I read the first six issues of the iZombie comic years ago, and aside from the gorgeous Mike Allred art (he is my favorite comic book artist, and you see his art in the opening sequence of the show), it didn't wow me. I was skeptical that Rob Thomas was jettisoning the entire concept in favor of a more familiar procedural, but after the pilot, I already like the show much more than the comic.

The show does remind me of an unrelated comic book series called Chew, about a cibopathic detective who gets psychic visions from any organic matter he eats. So if he eats an apple, he can tell the orchard where it was grown, and even what pesticides were used. If he eats meat, he gets overwhelmed by glimpses of the animal's life as well as its death and butchering, so he avoids most foods and mostly eats beets, the one food that he can't get a psychic reading from.

Detective Tony Chu works for the Food and Drug Administration, which became the most powerful government agency after a bird flu decimated the population, resulting in chicken being declared illegal and becoming a highly-prized black market luxury item. He has to lick up blood from crime scenes and munch on the occasional body part in order to tell what happened to victims and solve crimes. He has a bisexual cyborg partner, a boss who is always trying to get him killed, and a large family with lots of people with their own food-related powers. There's also Poyo, a bloodthirsty, unstoppable fighting rooster who wears a luchador mask... but thankfully he's one of the good guys.

It's a comedy book that has some pretty deep mythology and dynamic character development (if I had to compare it to anything, it evokes The Venture Bros. on that level), but it can also get surprisingly serious and heartfelt. I just binge-read the first eight volumes recently, and I recommend it highly to any fans of this show and fans of good comics in general.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Detective Tony Chu works for the Food and Drug Administration, which became the most powerful government agency after a bird flu decimated the population, resulting in chicken being declared illegal and becoming a highly-prized black market luxury item. He has to lick up blood from crime scenes and munch on the occasional body part in order to tell what happened to victims and solve crimes. He has a bisexual cyborg partner, a boss who is always trying to get him killed, and a large family with lots of people with their own food-related powers. There's also Poyo, a bloodthirsty, unstoppable fighting rooster who wears a luchador mask... but thankfully he's one of the good guys.

I like Chew, but I can't remember how many volumes I've read, which does not bode well. My favourite part is how Tony fell in love with his girlfriend, though. She is also a "food psychic", and her power is to write so descriptively about food that readers can actually taste what she ate - so of course she became a very famous restaurant critic. Tony fell for her because reading her reviews is the only way he can taste anything other than beets without having a psychic flash. It's a funny reversal of the old "I fell in love with her cooking" cliche; he loves her for other people's cooking.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

Soothing Vapors posted:

That's absolutely what it means. You don't hire David Anders for a 10 second cameo

Yeah, he's the guy who offered her drugs then scratched her on the way off the boat. We definitely saw that his Z face in the opening. And same yellow coat.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The second episode is up on HuluPlus and heavily features David Anders' drug dealer zombie character who is decidedly not a nice guy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
David Anders is always awesome.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This show perfectly hits the balance between Veronica Mars and Dead Like Me, which just so happens to be the exact shape of a hole in my life. I really hope it stays this good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

Oh, I get it. Liv Moore, "live more." Nyuk nyuk.

I'm glad that they didn't just leave the jane doe having Lady Gaga's name there, I was wondering how long it would take them to come back around to that one.

Her generic fiancé is also apparently named Major Lilywhite.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Aphrodite posted:

Her generic fiancé is also apparently named Major Lilywhite.

I can't decide if those names are amusingly self-aware or incredibly lazy.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Hobohemian posted:

"Cagney and Pasty" Lol, ok I'll give it a couple more episodes.

Yeah this got a laugh out of me.

Whoever said this felt like Veronica Mars meets Dead Like Me was pretty spot on. I'm down to see where it goes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Yeah this got a laugh out of me.

Whoever said this felt like Veronica Mars meets Dead Like Me was pretty spot on. I'm down to see where it goes.

I hated both of those, but I like this though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Two things of note, for fans of Rob Thomas:

1) Thomas has said that he didn't pitch iZombie - the CW actively sought him out and wanted him to develop a show with a "strong female lead." They pitched the iZombie rights to him, and he wasn't too enthused. He then mentioned it to Diane Ruggiero and she loved the idea, so Thomas agreed to do it.

2) Veronica Mars' third season isn't just awkward because of nonsensical fandom bits. The network cut the budget early, leading to tons of characters taking multiple episodes off. Hence all the "wallace/Mac/Piz is off studying today!" excuses. Worse though, the network cut the episode order really late in the planning, so Thomas had to re-engineer the entire season's arc. The campus rape mystery was supposed to last another two episodes, and second mystery was planned for much longer, and there was meant to be a third mystery (that was going to heavily involve Mac) that was cut entirely. We still don't know what the heck that mystery was meant to be.

Also, if you're a fan of Veronica Mars, the two novels aren't half bad either.

I enjoyed iZombie, and largely thank heavens they focused on the more relatable aspects of the premise and not "WHEEE SUPERNATURAL" bollocks.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Polaron posted:

I can't decide if those names are amusingly self-aware or incredibly lazy.

They asked the actor actually! In a question at SXSW. His response:

Robert Buckley posted:

Yeah, the name. So when I agreed to do the show and I was talking to Rob Thomas, I was like “How flexible are you on the name, Major Lilywhite?” and they said, were not. It was later that they told me the story that Major is the name of a boy that Diane Ruggiero-Wright had a crush on in high school and Lily-white was the name of Rob Thomas’s favorite collegiate football players. So my characters name is a combo of both. Major Lilywhite. Everyone is like, "Why do you think Liv broke up with Major?” and I’m like, "Would you want to be Mrs. Lilywhite? No, hyphenate that thing or get it out of here."

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I tried to read a little bit of the comic. It's pretty terrible, but it looks nice. I'm glad they changed everything about it other than the most base premise of a zombie that gets visions from brains. Comic writers are horrible.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Is this "based" on a comic that already exists? I'm confused on the premise here.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I've just stopped denying it and admitted to myself that I actually like The CW. Keep it coming guys.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Merlinicus posted:

Is this "based" on a comic that already exists? I'm confused on the premise here.

I haven't read it, but apparently, yes. Vaguely though, just the core premise (girl is zombie, gets visions from brain eating). Supposedly the comic is way more supernatural-themed than the show is (so far, at least).

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Did they put a New Girl and B in Apartment 23 joke together?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Horny Liv is pretty funny.

David Anders is a bad man.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Bad cop/horny cop.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Very clever climax to the mystery, I thought; they pulled two false buildups before revealing the wife was the killer all along -- just like the detective predicted!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
It always weirds me out when Anders isn't fake-British. '

Thought that one was a little weaker than the pilot but still good. Nice to see Major show something resembling a personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
This show is really fun, you guys.

I also found tonight's episode hilarious because I just now realized how many times we saw Rose McIver naked in "Masters of Sex." Which actually says a lot about how the CW is doing these days getting some really legit actors. She's perfect for this show so far.

• Locked thread