Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

tl;dr: it's a bad game

From their site:

Some guy at Zeptolab, or some intern, whoever, posted:

Dodge traps and steal gold from other players in this unique mix of platformer and PVP multiplayer game. Introducing King of Thieves, the new game from the makers of award-winning Cut the Rope, loved by millions of players worldwide!

Key features:

STEAL SHINY THINGS. Collect gold and gems from other players to become the wealthiest thief in the world!
DEFEND YOUR LOOT. Design your dungeons and watch other thieves getting into your traps. Muhaha!
CLAIM THE THRONE. Compete with other players worldwide, leaving your rivals on the bottom of leaderboards.
GET CRAFTY. Create new outfits for your character. The most nifty thieves should look really cool!
TRAVEL AND EXPLORE. Test your agility through 80 single-mode levels or dive into the underground world of user generated content.
CREATE AND JOIN GUILDS. Find reliable allies to stand against hostile guilds of thieves!

I'll expand this OP later like I did with the Boom Beach thread; there's been enough talk about it in other threads and in Goonfleet chat For now, my opinion, and I encourage others to give theirs:

This game is ridiculously fun if you like building intricate platformer puzzles with limited pieces; you have to beat your own layout twice in order to save it alright.

You only control when your thief jumps. You change directions by jumping off of walls. That may sound shallow, but it makes for an interesting platformer experience that's fueled by ganking sweet sweet gems from other players, and ranking up in leagues. Leagues are handled similar to other games where you're placed in a league tier that groups players of a similar rating. For instance, you and I may both be in Stone League at the same time, but not necessarily the same Stone League group. To advance to the next tier, you have to place in the top X number of slots in your tier.

Things to know:
  • Beeline for extra money from skulls. That poo poo is dope.
  • I do not know if there is a cap on potions, but I spend NONE of the potions I get. If this is like any other game, they're way better at higher levels; why waste a Freeze Time to get a couple thousand gold and a 1k-point gem when I could use it later on a totem worth ten times as much?
  • I try to hoard my orbs, but spending some on re-spinning totem ritual rewards to get a mushroom for a Golden Blaze was totally worth it. Spending 190 orbs to buy the mushroom is stupid, spending 5-15 orbs to respin to get a mushroom isn't so bad.
  • My gut reaction is that saving orbs for extra slots is the way to go after the mushroom, because more slots = you can hold more gems = you can get extra rank.
  • Gems are apparently 100% safe whenever there is no active ritual (including if you leave gems in the eye sockets but no ritual running). If the ritual is active, gems are exposed.
  • Focus your upgrades on Gold Mine Speed > Gem Defense or Lock Pick Speed > Extra Skulls. I don't really care about Skulls but Guh said it rocks; I'd rather keep my rank, because leagues run at least every 3 days (this is my first) and winning a league gives you bank. I won my Wood league which gave me either 20k or 50k (I forget) and 50 orbs (for sure), and I should be able to place in the second-place tier for Stone which gives me 15k gold; first place is some swank bag of cash.
  • The game auto-sells your lowest-rank gems if you pick up too many to hold, so collect/steal all you want.
  • I start rituals with my crappiest gems most of the time; once they get stolen within a shield's time remaining on the ritual, I slot in my biggest gems so they can complete the ritual safely. This is why the low keys don't matter imo; I only attack rarely, and generally try to focus on not-attacking for ritual shields and attacking while I have no active ritual and defenses are upgrading.
  • BTW upgrading defenses don't defend, if that's not apparent to you. I don't remember the tutorial ever actually saying that, but I did click through everything pretty quickly and assumed a lot.
  • I would not spend a dime on this game, just because the satisfaction of being a thief through ridiculously hard layouts is a big draw.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So is this The Castle Doctrine but not with weird lovely ideology crap and free?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
if a level looks impossible, that is because it is

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Another thread for a loving phone game?

I sent in a ticket about my mobile network connectivity problems. Hopefully T-Mobile and Zeptolabs can hash it out.

Your giant image broke my tables, but I'm running at 125% DPI so I can read from my couch on my TV.

Having to spend :10bux: for the best traps or a lot of gold for the middle level traps is a bit off-putting.

Uh one more thing you might want to eventually include in the OP. The experience orbs in the level give a good indication of the path one should take. But I have found shorter ways a few times.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 18, 2015

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Game is pretty addictive. I'm not sure about the balance though, being able to practice your D forever until it requires pixel-perfect timing means theres a lot of super-hard bases out there even in area two (I'm rank 10). Hopefully that's not intentional in order to force purchases on boosts (wistful thinking probably...)

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
I've been having fun with this so far.

It's satisfying to come up with a trap design that seems completely ridiculous at first, but ends up being perfect once you figure out how to beat it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
This is a fun game. What is the perk of being in a "clan"?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
how much i need to pay 2 win?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

JakeP posted:

how much i need to pay 2 win?

Besides using gems for speeding things up, hey have different trap sets whenever you move bases. For me at the second one, it costs 60 gems ($1.20 since the most likely thing to buy is 250 gems for $5). For that you get two little flies that follow the jumpy guy and make the level super difficult. If you're good at farming gold (which is pretty fun) you need 80k gold, which is like 20 successful puzzles, and then you only get one fly.

Since you get infinite tries to beat your own level you can make a super difficult base with just the base dudes.

You can also buy clothes and potions that make the level easier. The clothes are made up of objects that each cost like $4 in gems and you can need like 15 of them, so thats where the real money is spent.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
For example this is the default traps arranged in a way that you basically can't ever raid:

https://imgur.com/FVYbvEL.png

You need to jump IMMEDIATELY on load, then jump again right when you land

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Someone farm 100k gold and make a goon guild.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

So, is there a exploit or weird unintuitive physics mechanic to get high enough for these layouts? I bounced around for about 5 minutes in each one, my hat just grazes the bottom no matter what angle I tried.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
You have to jump immediately upon landing on the corner. It is a weird little bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiM-t0f3ym8

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Maybe the first f2p phone game I've played where I feel like my reflexes make a difference. It's really decent.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

They need to fix that poo poo fast, I say as I rearrange my dungeon to take advantage of the exploit.

Is there some trick to getting more cash? Lvl 4 upgrades cost ~40k and while it builds up it's really slow/anti-fun.

quote:

I start rituals with my crappiest gems most of the time; once they get stolen within a shield's time remaining on the ritual, I slot in my biggest gems so they can complete the ritual safely. This is why the low keys don't matter imo; I only attack rarely, and generally try to focus on not-attacking for ritual shields and attacking while I have no active ritual and defenses are upgrading.
Do you realize that the main part of the game is attacking, and thus rarely doing so means that for most it will be anti-fun? I want to like it but between the keys running out, the seeming slow resources (it's taking a while to get the cash to get the skull upgrades unlocked), and those loving flies it just feels like a sort of grind.

It's a conundrum because while I like making really difficult deathtraps having to play them gets old. Especially the flies, there's something about them that breaks the puzzle/skill gameplay.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I should be able to grind up 100k gold faily easily and form the goon guild, I loving rock at reflex games like this so my first day of playing has been merciless stealing of almost every gem i come across. Managed to top out my wooden league rank and got 30k gold and 50 orbs :getin:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Stereotype posted:

You have to jump immediately upon landing on the corner. It is a weird little bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiM-t0f3ym8

That's loving amazing. I had a feeling there was something repeatable but I wasn't sure, and he mentions seeing a 'fidget' on his jumps which is definitely there since the little particle trail behind the thief is drawn on or within a couple of frames of the window to make the jump.

You can do it OFF of corners, not just onto them. Maybe that's what he was referencing with other jumps. Let me show you what i mean:

I built that base originally with the totem lower, because you have to time the jump above the saw just right; it's pretty easy compared to having to do horizontal figure eights with the fly chasing me as I kicked off each corner right as the gold trail started to appear; it looks like it's when your character is exactly half-on and half-off of the corner. That gives just enough height to kick off the walls and hit the chest from either side.

I guess it could be a bug, but I feel like it's intentional because it's when the character is exactly halfway on/off the edge. Or who knows, maybe it's like skiing in tribes or bunnyhopping in hl.

That took me 15 minutes of focused effort to pull off. Gonna beat the poo poo out of my next stone league, I bet.

This is also going to be bad rear end once I rack up 50k gold, because I just unlocked upgrades to reduce chances successful thieves can steal a gem.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Is the only way for you to "beat" a league to finish in the top 3 once the league ends? If so that's insanely loving retarded. Guess I'm going to have to wait 3 days before I can make the goon guild, assuming I don't get bumped off the 1st position in the meantime.

edit: Yep, you have to place in the top 3 of your league to move up to the next one. Ugh, that's some really, really lovely gating there. Just a warning, this game is ridiculously friendly to people who spend a shitload and you can be directly hosed over in very, very bad ways by someone who's spent a bunch of cash. Or use some trap disable potions and coast right through. I stole some guy's 4k gem with 2 trap remove potions, braindead simple. Some people are being dicks though and covering their totem gems with traps so you can't see what gems it holds.

edit: Yeah I'm shelving this game. Nice concept and it starts out being intruiging but taking a good look at the criticism around the web the major issue with the game is the gating, and the sheer blatant cash-grabbing going on with the IAP. You can literally buy everything with money in this game, including ranks (though not league rank ironically enough). There is also the issue of physics glitches making some bases nigh-unbeatable and conversely, the fact that no matter how many times you fail you can still steal the gem.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 19, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

nightwisher posted:

Is the only way for you to "beat" a league to finish in the top 3 once the league ends? If so that's insanely loving retarded. Guess I'm going to have to wait 3 days before I can make the goon guild, assuming I don't get bumped off the 1st position in the meantime.

edit: Yep, you have to place in the top 3 of your league to move up to the next one. Ugh, that's some really, really lovely gating there. Just a warning, this game is ridiculously friendly to people who spend a shitload and you can be directly hosed over in very, very bad ways by someone who's spent a bunch of cash. Or use some trap disable potions and coast right through. I stole some guy's 4k gem with 2 trap remove potions, braindead simple. Some people are being dicks though and covering their totem gems with traps so you can't see what gems it holds.

edit: Yeah I'm shelving this game. Nice concept and it starts out being intruiging but taking a good look at the criticism around the web the major issue with the game is the gating, and the sheer blatant cash-grabbing going on with the IAP. You can literally buy everything with money in this game, including ranks (though not league rank ironically enough). There is also the issue of physics glitches making some bases nigh-unbeatable and conversely, the fact that no matter how many times you fail you can still steal the gem.

Is there a way to tell how much the gem is worth before attacking a base? I always just attack bases with gems and hope it isn't worth less than everything I have

Its a super corrput game but whatever.

Zachack posted:

They need to fix that poo poo fast, I say as I rearrange my dungeon to take advantage of the exploit.

Is there some trick to getting more cash? Lvl 4 upgrades cost ~40k and while it builds up it's really slow/anti-fun.

Keys regenerate faster than CoC troops, you can have enough to attack someone in 10 minutes. I basically attack constantly, and you can "watch" a little video 20 second video for 2 keys endlessly. My biggest problem at the moment is everyone is barfing up 300 point gems, which immediately converts to a stupidly low amount of gold.

I haven't had a down time yet for upgrades, and got out of wood league in like a day, if you miss the advancement the first time you are almost guaranteed it the next time. You end up way overleveled for a group of 50 people who never played.

The fly is also deterministic and the restarts are always identical, so you need to figure out the really quick way the creator figured out how to beat it. Someone had to beat it twice in a row.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also remember that a ton of stuff seems non-renewable. The totems have a use limit and each subsequent one seems to take longer than the previous one. At some point using two potions isn't going to work because you can't buy them with gems

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

The key system in this is horribly executed. I just installed it an hour ago and I've already watched more ads than I have in the last month, not even kidding.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The core gameplay is pretty fun, it's just bogged down with a lot of design decisions that have placed profitability over player satisfaction. There are so many systems in this game that tie into the IAP system in unfair ways. If you like free to play games that aim to keep the playing field as even as possible and just allow real money to be used as a means to cut out time, you'll get aggravated by this game's bias for the paying player. Not that buying IAP is inherently wrong but this game is just loving saturated with ways to spend money to bypass the intentionally tedious elements. For me personally, the whole league system was a total dealbreaker for me. A game with this much purchasable advantage should not be relying on best 3 out of 50 to advance in a league. I wasn't even out of wood league and the two guys above me were gaining ~2k gempoints an hour, and still are. I'd have to be playing constantly to catch up. So I'm directly and heavily punished for not outspending or outpoopsocking other people.

It'd be like if Clash of Clans had an IAP to do things like summon heroes like the BK and AQ, buyable defenses that non-paying characters won't get for a long time if ever etc. Hell, in this game you can technically buy your way to victory against any dungeon no matter what, you can buy any kind of potion, including trap removal potions with IAP currency.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Keys regenerate a lot quicker than, say, troops in CoC or stam in PaD. I had the same complaint at first but then I realized you can attack a bunch of times off 30 minutes away + maybe doing a few videos (which are no downside at all if you're at your computer or whatever and can look up at the forums for 12 seconds).

I agree on the IAP, so we'll see. At the moment the core gameplay is super fun so I'm not bothered by the leagues and whatnot (got out of wood without even making an effort). We'll see how that holds up in light of poo poo like that jump glitch.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah, they need to get on top of those physics glitches because the one thing that'll turn people off this game quicker than anything is meta-gaming poo poo like that. It's one thing to have a dungeon that's designed to be hard to raid. It's another thing to be literally impossible to complete unless you know some obscure jumping glitch that few people really know about.

I do like that I can attack more often than in games like CoC but I just checked my account after not playing for ~8 hours and i've been raided 7 times and lost 130 of 150k gold saved up. And all my gems in my totem. Now THAT is bullshit. The shields are something retardedly short like 45 minutes it seems. I'll begrudgingly play some more and see if it gets better, but first impressions have been good for about 5 minutes, then steadily worse and worse since then.

edit: I just took a look at the top level clan, and some of the dungeons, and wow. They're literally the same as every other dungeon, 3 traps, just more leveled up. I at least thought maybe at the higher levels you'd get more stuff to play with. That's... really boring.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 19, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

nightwisher posted:

Clans had an IAP to do things like summon heroes like the BK and AQ, buyable defenses that non-paying characters won't get for a long time if ever etc. Hell, in this game you can technically buy your way to victory against any dungeon no matter what, you can buy any kind of potion, including trap removal potions with IAP currency.

You can't buy potions, and the trap removal potion removes a random one.

nightwisher posted:

edit: I just took a look at the top level clan, and some of the dungeons, and wow. They're literally the same as every other dungeon, 3 traps, just more leveled up. I at least thought maybe at the higher levels you'd get more stuff to play with. That's... really boring.

Yeah this is pretty disappointing, I was hoping they'd get really long or something. It's still crazy fun for whatever reason.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Stereotype posted:

You can't buy potions, and the trap removal potion removes a random one.

You can, when you run out of a potion you press the + sign next to it and you can buy one for 7 orbs. I now realise you can't use more than one of the same type of potion too.

Side note, raided 10+ overnight, lost all my gold, most expensive gem got stolen by a dude lower level than me with the white costume. This game is fun in a way but there's no excusing allowing paying players to poo poo all over everyone else.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Raiding is so easy in this game though. You can put in 4 attacks (or more if you're lucky with keys) every 45 minutes and peoples levels are often stupid easy.

Make sure you don't use the default base and create one that takes you a bunch of tries to figure out. If you can beat your own in 5 tries so can everyone else.

For example I am 4th in my stone league right now and have been playing the game for 2 days. My base is easily two below everyone else's. Also don't fuse nice gems.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
This would be useful for an OP if anyone keeps playing this game (I am)

http://www.kingofthievesbases.altervista.org/jumps.php

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Making a trap layout that requires the invader to wait for the traps to sync up correctly in order to make it beatable really seems to gently caress with people. Doubly so if you introduce a chaser.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
It's also worth mentioning that playing your way up the single player ladder is really important as well because it unlocks gem mines that will give you a new gem every couple hours.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Chubbs posted:

It's also worth mentioning that playing your way up the single player ladder is really important as well because it unlocks gem mines that will give you a new gem every couple hours.

In on goon clan if one gets made and I get out of wood in a couple days.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
This is a better 'full loot PVP MMO' than Crowfall is likely to be.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"Dont fuse nice gems" should be in the OP. You pretty much always want to fuse your shittiest gems. I have stolen all of my nicest gems, I haven't "made" any of them.

You get to a point after a bunch of raids (which is the fun game part) where you can only really steal gems equal to or lower than the ones you already have. If the one you steal is worth less than all the ones you have, it gets turned into gold (2x the gem value). My lowest gem was 1300, so if I stole one worth 1000 (which is pretty sparkly) I would get 2000 gold instead, which is stupid. You can find guys with like 15k in gold to raid and fairly easy bases.

So I am now going to fuse a 1300, a 1400 and a 1500. These are my worst three (all green too!). If I get one stolen who cares, I can steal ones of that value, and if it works I basically wont touch the 4500 until all my gems are 4500.

Also I copied a base that I had a really hard time beating to be my base because thats obviously how you play the game. It just takes advantage of having to know the jump timing between the cannon and the floaty guy.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Ok I've come back to this after a few days with a fresh perspective. I realise this game has a very particular way of playing it if you want to do well. I've done a shitload of reading around and now that I understand the game systems better it's not as bad as I thought.

I've fused a few nice gems now at lvl 10, one of the best pieces of advice is that you've got to have a very good spawn trap setup if you want to fuse good gems. It needs to not rely on one trap to make it work though, after several deaths in a player's dungeon it'll disable the trap that's killing you the most, and trap removal potions will be used if you have something really nice in there. You're going to have to start fusing valuable gems eventually, although you can try the method of filling the totem with regular low value gems and wait for someone to steal one before the ritual finishes, then replace with a nice gem and finish the fuse with a much higher gem.

I have a really good spawn trap setup, even after the fly is disabled it's still very difficult to get down. Haven't had a gem stolen in 2 days now, been raided very often. That last player died 13 times and gave up, you have to do a corner-wall jump off the right wall at the exact right moment otherwise there is no safe way down. The timing is extremely tight, took me 30 minutes to save it.

I'm top of my league by a pretty good margin now, as soon as I get out of wood I'll start King of Goons.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I just started playing this and it's pretty fun but I have a couple of questions:

The tiered missions are all just pregenerated content right? Is the only way to do pvp the Find a Match button?

Do you ever get to design your own level layouts or is it always a predetermined layout + predermined set of traps?

I'm also somehow a second place in a league with 2000 points and 20 hours left.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
how 2 win:

1) never raid

2) upgrade skull gold

it's advisable to complete the campaign, even with 1 stars as soon as possible. the second best mine gives rank 1000 gems.

Putty fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 21, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
How to link android and iOS accounts please

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
also you can only join the guilds of your facebook friends so im gonna lol at the first goon to blow 100k to become clan leader of nothing

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This game is so close to being my favorite mobile game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Putty posted:

also you can only join the guilds of your facebook friends so im gonna lol at the first goon to blow 100k to become clan leader of nothing

Yeah also they do jack poo poo

• Locked thread