Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAMN IT
Apr 29, 2008

1. What is your primary form of transportation - car, motorcycle, bicycle, train, bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, walking (or other)?
Car
2. How many vehicles do you have?
3. For current vehicle owners - did you buy new, buy used, or do you lease?
Buy used
4. What brand vehicle do you drive?
1998 Honda Civic
5. For owners - what was the purchase price of your vehicle, and how long have you owned it?
$7000, 9 years
6. How much do you spend annually on transportation (cab, bus, train-fare/payments/insurance/fuel)?
$1200 fuel, $400 insurance, $100 fares/tolls/parking
7. How much do you spend annually on maintenance for your vehicle?
~$1000
8. How far is your commute to work?
15 miles / 30 mins
9. If you do not use public transportation - explain why you do not
I live and work in the suburbs, it is not a viable option
10. If you use public transportation - explain why you do not use a vehicle
N/A
11. What country do you live in?
USA
12. What is your gross annual income?
$70k

I will admit to severe and frequent cases of new car envy, especially when I walk through the parking lot where I work. But so far I have resisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
1. What is your primary form of transportation - car, motorcycle, bicycle, train, bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, walking (or other)?
Drive
Used for both
2010 KIA forte, 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe
5. For owners - what was the purchase price of your vehicle, and how long have you owned it?
KIA 11k, 3 years
Hyundai 19k, 8 years
6. How much do you spend annually on transportation (cab, bus, train-fare/payments/insurance/fuel)?
Insurance is $700, $1800 on gas
400 maybe? Do my own oil changes and breaks. The Santa fe has been pricier recently
25 miles
Would take 3 times as long plus kids yo worry about
11. What country do you live in
USA
~120k

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

drat IT posted:

I will admit to severe and frequent cases of new car envy, especially when I walk through the parking lot where I work. But so far I have resisted.

The best way to deal with this is to realize that 50 percent or more of people can't really afford that nice new car. I just stick to thinking "you poor dumb motherfucker"

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Car
One or two cars, depends on whether you count 'possession' as 'yours' + dirtbike
Parents bought Forrester outright, used for me. Navara is my parents that they've sort of given to me (longish story), motorbike bought new
1999 Subaru Forrester, 2012 D22 Nissan Navara, 2010 Husqvarna TE250
$7500 / 5 years (Forrester), $36,000 2.5yrs (Navara), $9500 / 4.5 yrs (Husqvarna)
Have only started driving the Forrester again (my fiance actually drives it now) so very minimal / $0 (fuel/insurance is included in the Navara), haven't ridden the Husqvarna in the last year much
Out of pocket - $500 / $0 / $700 (+ a soon to be $2500 repair bill)
150KM per day
Commute by public transport would probably take about 3 hours and I start around 7AM, meaning I'd have to leave around 4AM + public transport starts running around 5AM onwards, meaning I wouldn't get to work until about 8AM
N/A
Australia
Was $120k combined until January of this year, until we had to move back to our home town, now around $42k combined (fiance doesn't have a job/I took a crappy job to preserve savings).

Guni fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 21, 2015

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Bugamol posted:

Extreme BFCers sometimes like to pretend that it's super easy to just go pick up a reliable beater car and drive it until it dies. Either those people are stupid lucky, already mechanics, friends with a mechanic, or know a local mechanic that is willing to cut them a deal and help them out.

Back in 1999 working on cars was hard. You had a hanes manual that covered like 4 generations of your car, and it was vague at best and wrong a lot of the time, and any buddies that you could coax over may or may not have any clue what they are doing. You were basically turning bolts and praying to the piston gods.

Now days pretty much every car ever made has some sort of enthusiast base that has thoroughly explored every possible way it can break and how to fix it, and then posted their wisdom online. Not only that, but most common repairs on most common cars have a decent quality youtube video of someone preforming the repair. There's a guy whose videos have helped me so many times with volvo repairs that I consider him sort of a father figure.

Now, I'm kind of a gearhead, but my little brother is not. He had never really worked on a car before, and he used to ask me "how the hell do you consider that fun?" when I would talk about wrenching on my beaters. He's also not very well off. When his honda accord started overheating he took it to a shop, and they quoted him something around a grand for a water pump and a timing belt which was due, and a few other odds and ends. He didn't have the money but he needed the car for work and school. I was living in another state so I couldn't help him out. No worries, he bought about $50 worth of tools from harbor freight, and spent a few evenings reading walkthroughs and watching videos. It took most of a Saturday to complete the repairs, and he has put thousands of miles on the car since.

In the end he didn't have a lot of fun or find a new lifelong hobby, but he did save himself $800.

What I'm saying is: If you're making 6 figs and $800 is not a lot of money for you then by all means buy a new car and take it in to the shop whenever it makes a funny noise. But if you're in an income bracket where your time is not worth a whole lot and you own a car, then you really owe it to yourself to take advantage of all the resources out there and start understanding the systems at play and working on it yourself. There are obviously some jobs that are a little rough (like anything to do with an audi) or that are very unpleasant for the DIYer and super cheap from a shop (like an oil change) but by and large wrenching on a beater car is a great way to save yourself a lot of cash.

It always baffles me when people are like "well, yeah cheap old cars are ok if you like freaking out from constantly breaking down or are a master mechanic." No, you cannot just expect to get on craigslist and buy the first $1500 car you see and drive it for 100,000 miles, but if you do your goddamn homework and spend a couple of hours a night for a week or two watching the market and educating yourself, and have a just a bit of risk tolerance, then there's no reason why the average person can't drive reliably on the cheap.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Back in 1999 working on cars was hard. You had a hanes manual that covered like 4 generations of your car, and it was vague at best and wrong a lot of the time, and any buddies that you could coax over may or may not have any clue what they are doing. You were basically turning bolts and praying to the piston gods.

Now days pretty much every car ever made has some sort of enthusiast base that has thoroughly explored every possible way it can break and how to fix it, and then posted their wisdom online. Not only that, but most common repairs on most common cars have a decent quality youtube video of someone preforming the repair. There's a guy whose videos have helped me so many times with volvo repairs that I consider him sort of a father figure.

Now, I'm kind of a gearhead, but my little brother is not. He had never really worked on a car before, and he used to ask me "how the hell do you consider that fun?" when I would talk about wrenching on my beaters. He's also not very well off. When his honda accord started overheating he took it to a shop, and they quoted him something around a grand for a water pump and a timing belt which was due, and a few other odds and ends. He didn't have the money but he needed the car for work and school. I was living in another state so I couldn't help him out. No worries, he bought about $50 worth of tools from harbor freight, and spent a few evenings reading walkthroughs and watching videos. It took most of a Saturday to complete the repairs, and he has put thousands of miles on the car since.

In the end he didn't have a lot of fun or find a new lifelong hobby, but he did save himself $800.

What I'm saying is: If you're making 6 figs and $800 is not a lot of money for you then by all means buy a new car and take it in to the shop whenever it makes a funny noise. But if you're in an income bracket where your time is not worth a whole lot and you own a car, then you really owe it to yourself to take advantage of all the resources out there and start understanding the systems at play and working on it yourself. There are obviously some jobs that are a little rough (like anything to do with an audi) or that are very unpleasant for the DIYer and super cheap from a shop (like an oil change) but by and large wrenching on a beater car is a great way to save yourself a lot of cash.

It always baffles me when people are like "well, yeah cheap old cars are ok if you like freaking out from constantly breaking down or are a master mechanic." No, you cannot just expect to get on craigslist and buy the first $1500 car you see and drive it for 100,000 miles, but if you do your goddamn homework and spend a couple of hours a night for a week or two watching the market and educating yourself, and have a just a bit of risk tolerance, then there's no reason why the average person can't drive reliably on the cheap.
I fancy myself pretty good at that 'repairing cars' thing. I'm an ex-professional German mechanic (car accident resulted in herniated disc in 2010, resulting in change of career) and have a lot of diagnostic tools for the vehicles I own (BMW & VAG) and I couldn't diagnose my friends 07 A3 AC issue. To be fair, the dealer couldn't either, but some of the newer systems are goddamn complicated.

My free time isn't worth much, even tho I make ~ok~ middle class wages. I *love* working on cars, so its a combo of pasttime hobby + saving a lot of money.

Also, working on a VAG is way, way better than most domestics, and a lot of Asian imports. Though its nothing like a well designed BMW, where things are actually engineered! (I love my BMW's.)

My last spare car was a 86 325e. I made 1700$ from buying it and selling it, and put ~60k on it. That beater was awesome.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

oxsnard posted:

I just stick to thinking "you poor dumb motherfucker"
This is what I think whenever I pass a SUV or large truck when I'm on my motorcycle.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Car

Used

2010 Subaru Forrester 2.5x Premium

$17k, 1.5 years

$4,800 for payments, $720 for insurance, $775 on gas.

I spent $1,300 last year. $750 for a 60k service and $400 for some body work. Now that everything is in tip-top shape, should be minimal this year.

3 miles

Unrealistic for most things.

N/A

USA

50k.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
Car
Used
2009 Subaru Forester XT
$19000 @ 120,000km, owned for 30 months and it's up to 165,000km
$2800 fuel, $900 insurance
$2200 in 2013, $1000 in 2014
25km
I live in cottage country, it doesn't exist.
N/A
Canada
$90k

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
1. What is your primary form of transportation?
Car

Used

2004 Chevy Cavalier

$5500 (paid cash) and I've had it for about 8 years. It currently has ~130k miles on it.

ehhh about $650 I guess. I don't really keep up with this as well as I should, but my insurance is cheap and I don't have to buy a whole lot of gas per month.

Maybe around $200 averaged out? Usually less than that but I do have to periodically put tires on it. It has been extremely reliable considering I take really lovely care of it.

~5 miles

I live in the rural South; public transportation does not exist. My workplace isn't terribly far from my house but it's a 40+ mile round trip to a bigger town in another county if I want to shop at a real store, so I'd have a hard time not having a car here.

USA

$50k

I've been wanting to upgrade to a nicer car for a while but not bad enough to take on a car payment, so I'll just keep driving this one until I run it into the ground. I do zero maintenance on it myself because I'm really not a DIY person, and barely remember to have the oil changed so I'm pretty shocked at how reliable it's been.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Car
2 cars for a two-driver household
One was purchased for me new by my parents when I was in college; the other we bought new, paid cash.
2002 Honda CR-V and 2012 Ford Focus
CR-V: $0 ($22000 for parents), owned 12.5 years. Focus: $21500, owned 2.5 years.
$2400 on fuel, $1450 on car insurance for 2 drivers on both cars.
~$1000 on washes, oil changes, occasional repairs.
80 miles round trip for both of us, in opposite directions. :( I telecommute 1-3 days a week though.
Not an option for my husband so he carpools with 3 other people. I used to take a vanpool but my work schedule is very flexible and it was easier for me to just drive in a few days myself. Plus the people in the van were crazy...
N/A
USA
$175,000

I kind of want a new car at this point, but with a baby coming I guess I should just let her grind Cheerio dust into my old one instead. Also there's nothing wrong with my CR-V, and since I told my husband about zaurg's thread he brings up every once in a while how lucky I am to have the coveted zwife baby mobile.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Car
3, my car, wifes car, my bike
My car - Used, my bike - used, my wifes car - new
2012 Ford Falcon XR6 for me and 2012 Mazda 3 for the wife
My car - $18,500 owned for like a month so far, wifes car ~$22,000 3 years ago, my bike - $3500 about 3 years ago, all paid with cash
around $11,000
maybe $500 on servicing?
mines about 80km round trip, wifes is about 10km.
We live on the on the very outer edges of a the limit of the nearest major cities public transport, so it's there, but there's not a great deal of it

Australia, so all figures here are in AUD.
Around $175,000 combined

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Car

Bought new

2015 Subaru Legacy

The car cost $26,900, and I bought it in October 2014.

• $6060 per year: car payment ($505/month, 48 month loan on about $23K)
  • $1344 per year: fuel (extrapolated from 5 months of data)
  • $_834 per year: insurance
  • $__38 per year: registration
  • $__50 per year: tolls
  • $__52 per year: parking
  • $___? per year: maintenance (see #7 below)

Total: $8378 per year, excluding maintenance.

My car's too new to have any realistic data on this; the only maintenance I've had performed so far is a single oil change. My previous vehicle, once it was out of its warranty period, averaged $1578 per year in maintenance (both routine and repair included). I'll be under warranty for the next few years, so it should only be routine maintenance I'm paying for in the near future.

2.5 miles each way

I live in a suburb that was seriously considering giving up $10M in federal funding to not have to allow bus stops. There is now a bus stop within a half mile of where I live, but the routing still isn't anywhere close to practical - I'd have to take the bus downtown and transfer to ride right back out to a neighboring suburb. I also end up having to have a reasonable number of last-minute meetings with subcontractors in other buildings in the surrounding area, so I can't rely on an infrequent bus service.

Ohio, USA

$92,000

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Motorcycle

Used

Kawasaki

$5800 6 years

$2000

$1200

22miles

Not reliable or practical my 22 miles commute is 2.5 hours long but realistically 3.5 hours accounting for bus breakdowns/no-shows/etc.

CA, USA
$27000-$35000

Winston_Wolf
Jun 9, 2005
(We should add a what do you do for a living field, I'm jealous seeing all these 200k+ people)

Car

Used ( 1 year old lease return)

'12 Subaru STi

$38,500 almost 2 years back

$8580 shoulda paid cash for the car :(
620 payment
110 Ins
Rest spitballed for fuel tolls etc

$2000

1.5 miles

Not available here

USA
$120,000

moodyhank31
Aug 29, 2012
Car
Own
1993 BMW 525i
$1500
$55/mo insurance; ~$50-60/mo gas
~$50 oil change
less than 1 mile
So close
N/A
Germany
~$50,000

moodyhank31 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 26, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Not a Children posted:

I think a lot of people buy new because a) they just don't want the headache of car maintenance and b) we have a lot of higher earners here, so they can afford it without taking on any real financial burden. There's also the fact that the buying slightly used cat is out of the bag and low mileage toyotas and hondas get snapped up at near KBB values these days, or so I hear. I bought new because I needed a car within a tight timeframe and used the time I had to negotiate a good deal rather than pray I come across a viable beater to use in DC traffic.

People are probably shy about posting their incomes because it could potentially open them up to harassment or allow people to track them down. I don't blame 'em. Wouldn't be surprised if someone who posted about their mid-6 figure salary got hit up with the occasional PM asking for a student debt bailout or somesuch.

Completely agree. If you're financing a Honda or Toyota, the zero-rate financing that you can usually find will often wipe out the difference between a new car and a near-new financed used car.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I learned only a couple of us are cool dudes who own cool motorcycles.

:smuggo: :respek: :smuggo:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

RTFM posted:

(We should add a what do you do for a living field, I'm jealous seeing all these 200k+ people)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3696090

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Car.

Bought new.

2013 Kia Rio LX.

$13k, 3 years.

$1356 insurance, $3120 car payment, ~$300 gas.

$40/yr for oil changes, ~$70/yr for other car service.

0.6mi. Driving it is reserved for inclement weather & when it gets below freezing. (Which to be fair, is at least 4 months of the year here :v:)

Public transport? What public transport? I don't think I've ever seen a bus anywhere near my apartment.

n/a

USA

$45k. Ballin.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Answering for me and my partner:

Both Car

Both Used

Me: 2005 Honda Civic VP (complete with hand crank windows and doors you unlock with a key!)
Him: 2012 VW Passat

Me: 11,000 -- 6 years, 3 months.
Him: 16,000 -- 2 weeks (replacement for a 2008 Saturn Aura that had 150K miles and needed a couple grand in repairs).

My car is paid off. His payments are $277 a month.
Insurance for both is $1500 a year. Both have two speeding tickets.
Gas -- I budget $160 a month for each. That is worst case scenario, even with gas at $3.50 a gallon, we're looking at $250 or so a month.

Last year, probably $500. This year will be more, as I've already replaced the windshield. I also need to get an engine mount fixed, replace water pump, and probably replace tires soon. Will probably drive for another 2-3 years.

30 miles for me. 15 to 25 for him, depending on which office they toss him at for the day. I go South. He goes North and West. There is no good place for us to live.

I have to be in the office at 7AM. To get to work by 7AM using public transport, I have to drive 2.5 miles to the Park n' Ride, grab a 5:13AM bus, get off downtown, grab a light rail train to it's very last stop, then take a weird private bus to my work campus. The chances of me making it on time are less than 50%. I will do it every once in a great while, usually when there's a ton of snow on the ground.

If I had a later shift, I'd use it more. And I did for a time, when I worked 8:30-5. But the pass costs $176 a month, parking is free and ample at my workplace, and going home during the summer you have to share the train with horrible south suburban yuppies who have no clue about train etiquette going to Rockies games. It's just not worth it unless it's absolutely necessary.

For my partner, it's literally impossible. There is no way to pull it off to get him there at 7AM.

I only use when the weather is RIDICULOUSLY bad.

USA

40k - 45k per year for me, depending on bonuses.
30k for him.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Car

2 (for 2 people), even though we carpool for 99% of things. The SUV is mostly used when we need to take the dog somewhere, or buy big/heavy/dirty things.

One was inherited, and the other was purchased new. Both of us had always driven hand-me-downs from family, and decided to splurge on exactly the type of car we wanted instead of relying on convenience and whatever was "good enough". We saved and paid in cash.

2005 Honda CRV
2014 Mazda 3

Honda: Free, inherited in 2012.
Mazda: ~20k after 3k trade in, I think. Owned for 9 months now.

Fuel and insurance on Mazda is paid for by our company (which is owned by his mom) because we use it for daily office errands, some deliveries, and some business trips.
Honda is used so infrequently that I don't really keep track of its fuel charges. Maybe a $40 tank every 3 months? It has basic liability insurance which is about $400/yr.
I think registration and inspection is about $90 per car.
So..... $740 annually, not including maintenance?

Haven't kept track. :( We have not had any huge expenses on either car yet. Mostly just oil changes, wiper blades.

5 miles, which is about 20 minutes with current traffic patterns. (Construction on a parallel major road, bleh)

I used to when I worked downtown, but there aren't really any bus/train lines in my current area. DFW's DART is focused in Dallas suburbs and whatever Fort Worth has I think is mostly close to downtown. I'm too central and north to benefit from much of it.

USA

Prefer not to say. Upper middle class-ish?

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 27, 2015

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Car
Bought new
2008 Hyundai Sonata SE V6
About $21k out the door in December 2007 (7 years). Financed at 0%, so never paid any interest on the loan.
$1100 insurance (full coverage with max liability limits), ~$600 gas, $150 registration & ad valorem taxes
~$150 (couple oil changes, car washes, and emissions each year)
4 miles
It would take over an hour each way to get to work via bus, vs. ~15 minutes each way in a car.
N/A
US - Georgia
~$95k

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
Car
Buy used
2003 Nissan Sentra. I'm starting to get an itch to get a new car but I really like not having a car payment. My car's been pretty reliable so far, it's just ugly (lots of paint damage from the sun).
6,200$ I think and it'll be 10 years in July.
Last year I spent 1010$ on gas, 646$ on insurance, and 175$ in tolls.
Last year it was 238$ and the year before it was 524$
about 13 miles and it takes 20-25 minutes.
It would take about 3 hours and cost 6$ each way.
US
~50,000$

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

car
4 (2 driver household. I'm trying to teach the dog to chauffeur, but he's a slow learner)
2 new, 2 used
1984 Porsche 911, 2002 VW Passat, 2002 BMW M3, 2006 Ford Expedition.
Porsche - $17K, 3 years
VW - $30K, 13 years
BMW - $65K, 13 years
Ford - $10K, 2 years

$8K in non-maintenance transportation costs. No car payments, so most of that is fuel. Which won't cost nearly so much this year if gas stays < $3/gal
$6k. Most of which is consumed by the track-car Porsche to continuously replace expensive tires, brakes, and fluids.
40 mi round-trip
Work is in the far 'burbs where public transit is non existent
N/A
USA
> $100K

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Bicycle, motorcycle, car
4 it's a little absurd
All used
1999 Isuzu Vehicross, 2012 Subaru Impreza, 2008 Honda ST1300, 2003 BMW F650 GS Dakar
1999 Vehicross - 5,000
2012 Subaru Impreza - 21,000
2008 Honda ST1300 - 7,500
2003 BMW F650GS - 5,000

~2K on the Cars ~1K on the motorcycle
~1K on the Cars ~2K on the motorcycles
14 mi round-trip
The bicycle is my main method of getting to work, motorcycle if I'm in a hurry, car if I need to meet with a client or if there's lots of snow on the ground
USA
$170K

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Car (Uber/Taxi if I'm going out drinking)

One

Bought used

Volkswagen

$9,500 - owned 2.5 years

$700 Insurance, $197 monthly payment, maybe $80-$100 a month on gas (premium)

Probably $160 on oil changes. Bought 4 new tires and rear brakes last year for about $800, new windshield $300, insurance deductible of $1000 in January for vandalism, $350 repairs after sliding into a curb in February.

Six miles

No bus routes to my neighborhood, did use buses while a student.

USA

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Car

Two, two driver household

New for both

2014 Hyundai Veloster, 2014 Subaru Crosstrek

$23,000 for the Veloster (traded in my maintenance disaster of a Mini for $15k so I only paid ~$8k). Owned for a little over a year. Paid off.
$25,000 for the Subaru. Owned for about 9 months. Paid in cash, no financing.

We pay around $70/month for insurance for both cars, $1000 a year in gas for the Subaru (short commute) and probably $3000 a year in gas for the Hyundai (long-rear end commute)

Both are brand new so they only need standard maintenance so it's not too bad. The Subaru came with standard maintenance included for a year so it hasn't cost us anything so far. The Hyundai goes in for standard maintenance more often since I have a really long commute and rack up the miles faster than average. It needs oil changes monthly since I drive 550+ miles a week and it's a turbo that requires oil changes every 3000 miles but I don't mind paying more frequently for maintenance since I'm of the mind that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I've got the awesome Hyundai 10 year/100,000 mile warranty that covers every single mechanical bit of the car (in this case I figured the extended warranty was worth it to expand the coverage to everything and not just the power train) so if something does break it'll be covered.

55 miles for the Hyundai and less than 5 for the Subaru.

We live in the midwest. They don't do public transport here. Even if we did I'd still drive because I like the freedom of being able to drive somewhere for lunch if I want and it not being a huge deal if I have to stay late at work since I don't have a bus/train to catch. However, if I lived in a more urban setting where parking was an expensive pain in the rear end and there were places to eat and such within walking distance of my office I'd take public transport.

USA

$130K combined between me and my husband.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
car

four, 2 drivers

toys are used, actual transportation new

GMC Sierra, Honda Civic, Kawasaki KLR motorcycle, Tomos Nitro Scooter

GMC Sierra, 35k, 2.5 years
Honda Civic, 22k, 4 years
Kawasaki KLR motorcycle, 3k, 1 year
Tomos Nitro Scooter, $800, 2 years

Estimate about 4500$ annually for fuel and maintenance. We use our personal vehicles for quite a bit of travel, as well. Average about 30k miles between for the four wheelers and about 3k miles on the two wheelers annually.

Not much... Maybe 1k annually between it all. Have the shop do the four wheelers, I take care of two wheelers...

17 miles one way, zero for my wife

not convenient at all. As a mining engineer, I literally have to get to the middle of nowhere for work.

USA[B]

[B]130k-ish

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Car
bought new
Ford Focus ST
$28,500 incl tax title etc. owned for 18 mos.
$6,000 on car payments, $250 on public transit, $600 on taxis, $1450 on insurance, $850 on fuel
About $150 for routine maintenance
25 miles
a reverse commute that involves a bus, a subway train, a commuter train, and a fifteen minute walk. It takes an additional hour vs driving, and the timing is very inconvenient.
N/A
USA
$122,000

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Goddamn I'm a broke-rear end motherfucker.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Car. I can walk to work in 45 mins but it's dark and cold and only 3.5 mins away in a car

Used. I'd love it if what I drove was still new but that would've been pretty pricey to get it over here at the time.

2000 Nissan Stagea RS

$6500 and owned it for 6 months now

$720ish insurance, $1200 fuel, $650 rego (ouch) - I also look after the wife's side of things while she's at home with the kids so add another $720 for her fuel and $400 insurance + rego on her 09 Lancer.

$80 so far in things like a new 02 sensor and some new bulbs, a couple hundred more soon to do some home service.

3.5kms.

It doesn't run when I'm on my way to work and I couldn't be bothered to wait for it anyway.

na

Australia

$50k

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.
car
bought new
Honda Fit
16.9k out the door, 6 years ago, 125k miles since
$1000 insurance, $1750 on fuel (at current prices)
Varies. It has probably averaged out to 500 dollars a year. 2 sets of tires, 2 windshields, and 125k of routine maintenance in 6 years.
between 15-35 miles over the life of the car. Currently 15 miles.
It's not available where I work.
N/A
United States

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
While this isn't my current situation, this is the survey filled out as if it was 6 months ago while we were still living abroad in Mozambique.

Car to work, on foot most other times
Bought used
1998 Honda CR-V
Purchased in cash for $6,000, 1.5 years (And we got a really good deal on this car buying it from a friend. When we left, we sold it for $5,500.)
15 dollars / year for minimum required insurance (even if you were in a wreck, good luck getting insurance to pay) 70 dollars / week in fuel
Labor is dirt cheap, but parts are expensive, but can be gotten much cheaper by smuggling them across the border from South Africa. We spent ~$2,000 on maintenance during our time there. This included 2 full sets of tires (one set stolen, other punctured from hitting potholes)temp gauge sensor, diagnosing and fixing ABS light, other minor things
~20 miles.
Dangerous, scary as hell, and way overcrowded. Public transit is minibuses that hold 12 people, packed with about 20-25 people at any given time. Drivers think they are above the law and don't stop for anything really.
N/A
Maputo, Mozambique

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Car

All purchased used.

Mitsubishi Lancer is my primary.
NIssan Altima is the wife's primary.
GMC Sierra is my truck for hauling and pullin'.

2008 Lancer - 4 years, 13k. Way too goddamn much. I didn't realize my specific model was $15k brand new :/ (I got ripped off).
2012 Altima - 3 years, 21k out the door. We got it "Used" in 2012 (It was a 2012). It had 6k miles and they dropped 4k off the list price.
2003 Sierra - 2 years, 3k out the door.

9540 for insurance and payments. Gas rough is probably around 3k a year.

1k tops on a bad year.

~20 miles, wife ~30 miles

What the gently caress is this "public transportation" you speak of (I live in rural america).

'MURRICA

70k (more soon, hopefully.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 7, 2015

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Bicycle

Zero - sold my car back in the fall. Car ownership is a burden that I currently do not need to bare. Pain the fuckin' rear end. I'm close enough to everything I need that I can bike.

I rent a car occasionally on the weekends, which is very cheap. But I offset this cost by refereeing hockey when I have a car. I would say my total cost of transportation this year will be roughly $700. This includes bike parts/maintenance, car rentals, bus tickets and cab fares.

10km round-trip

I usually only use public transit when I'm going to/from a social event where it's not feasible to bike, particularly in the winter.

Canada

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Car/subway
bought used
2014 Toyota Corolla
$16000 out the door, owned for 1 mo.
$1200 on subway fare + $0 on payments (bought cash) + $900 insurance + $300 gas + ??? maintenance = $2400 + ?
unknown, have not owned long enough
3 mi
n/a
the stations are so close to home and work and the roads are shitclogged every morning
USA
$85,000

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 29, 2015

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Why not

Wife: car; Me: bike

1 (multiple if you count bikes)

New

2015 Mazda CX-5

$20k out the door; about a year

$0 for my transit; work subsidized mass transit and I bike most of the time anyways.
Car is $260/mo + $100mo insurance + we budget $120/mo for fuel.

TBD; not too much as it's new. We budget $75/mo towards maintenance.

10mi

I avoid public transit as I tend to get a bit carsick on trains and buses. I use it when necessary but do better on a bike. I also live 1mi from the nearest metro, at which point I'm already 10% of the way to work.

I'll use public transit when weather is bad enough, I need to get to something where appearance is critical, or I need to carry something the bike wont handle well.
I also like to bike a lot so I bike to work. Makes sense.

USA

White collar, upper-middle, dual-income.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Bored at a hotel, might as well:

Car
2. I have one, my wife has the other
Used, of course.
1999 Mazda Miata
$3,500, I bought last April or May
Wow, that's a tough question. I think we budget about $300/month for both vehicles fuel/insurance/maintenance. I do my own work and buy common cars so parts are cheaper than something more exotic.
Probably about $1000 for both vehicles, including repairs and maintenance.
It used to be less than 4 miles, now it's 22.
My commute to my new job is a lot longer, and would take hours if I tried to do it with public transportation. I also like to mountain bike, so my car is used to transport the bike to the trails. I do ride my second bike to the store and installed a rack and panniers to make it easier to carry stuff. I enjoy walking and biking, so whenever I can I do that instead of using my car.
I use the bus sporadically to get to hockey games downtown when my wife worked and would meet me there, and Uber to get home from the airport occasionally.
USA
$45k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Might as well give anyone looking through my post history some interesting info:

Car
gifted from parents
2004 Toyota Prius (with 180k miles and going strong)
$1, 4 years
$1000 on insurance, $500 on fuel
too lazy to add up the records... maybe $100 average
11 miles
never heard of it
N/A
USA
$20,000

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 15, 2015