Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

....aaaand we have a scapegoat! *Ding ding ding!*

OK, we've ended the cam for this year! The chicks have all gone outside, for today they are in the small run but tonight will go in with the flock. We are deciding who we'll keep today, the rest of the chicks will get rehomed (I don't want to deal with chicken butchering, I've got too many other irons in the fire). Our local poultry club has a chicken swap once a month so they may go on a car ride.

We'll be putting the cam out on the flock on Saturdays, weather permitting and if we don't have something going we need to go and do. I'll be posting the pics I took a month ago and yesterday, soon!

LOL!! I'm gonna have to warn him not to say anything next year! (Or say something like "I bet they're all hens!") XD
But seriously, I hope the rehomed chickens will find happy rehomes.

Thank you for another chickam season! I'll be, as always, trying to catch them on the Saturday. And the blog. Chickam forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011
Knightrous Oxeyes or am I too late? :ohdear:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Thanks for running this. :glomp:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BuhamutZeo posted:

Front of the queue for 2016.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

BuhamutZeo posted:

Hold that thought...for about a year. But it sounds like a good name for a banty!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Hi there VS. I have a couple of questions. Will the new photos be posted here or at Jackshenhouse? Also, will new information for the weekly show be posted in the weekly stream that you were using?

Hope all is well with ALL the chickens!

Again, thank you for another wonderful Chickam season!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

piscesbobbie posted:

Hi there VS. I have a couple of questions. Will the new photos be posted here or at Jackshenhouse? Also, will new information for the weekly show be posted in the weekly stream that you were using?

Hope all is well with ALL the chickens!

Again, thank you for another wonderful Chickam season!

I'll post them on my blog but will post a link here. And yes, I'll update the UStream page.

I do have very sad news...this morning, about an hour after we let everyone out of the coop, the kid found Tuxedo, one of the little Silkie mix chicks, dead. Why and how she died is a mystery...she was found halfway under one of the black drip irrigation hoses, but had plenty of room to get out and should have been able to just pull her head and neck out. It's possible that she put her head under it and another large chicken stepped on her neck or the hose and killed her, but I'm not sure.

It appears to have been one of those freak accident things. :smith:

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

pourin one out for my nigga tuxedo

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

oh no Tuxedo :sympathy:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

We will miss you, little #11. :(

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Oh my gosh...no....Tuxedo....
I'm so sorry VS. :(

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Poor Tuxedo :( She had a good life and now goes to the great coop in the sky.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey, PICTURES! :derp:

Freakin' finally.
Rather than post them all here, I'm just going to post a link to the two blog pages I did, the first one is the one month old pics:
http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-chicks-are-one-month-old.html

The next is at 2 months old:
http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-chicks-are-two-months-old-and-are.html

We haven't run the Saturday Chickam up to now because we had a sudden spate of thunderstorms. Then when THOSE finally ended, it was 100 degrees this weekend and we had an annual fair to go to (NOT taking the kid who has been waiting for it all year was not an option, sorry).

If all goes well and Mother Nature isn't trying to kill us with thunderbolts, I promise we'll run the cam this coming Saturday the 20th, and maybe Sunday as well. I want to put it on the nest boxes since my hens are all having a LOUD 'Foghorn Leghorn cartoon psychocackling hen' competition that is truly hilarious.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
yes!!! Thank you so much, VS!!
How are the "babies" doing now?
and I'm all about going to the annual fair. It's gotta be done.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
OMG the adult chickens!

SNAKEFAST :stare::love:

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Hey, PICTURES! :derp:

Freakin' finally.
Rather than post them all here, I'm just going to post a link to the two blog pages I did, the first one is the one month old pics:
http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-chicks-are-one-month-old.html

The next is at 2 months old:
http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-chicks-are-two-months-old-and-are.html

We haven't run the Saturday Chickam up to now because we had a sudden spate of thunderstorms. Then when THOSE finally ended, it was 100 degrees this weekend and we had an annual fair to go to (NOT taking the kid who has been waiting for it all year was not an option, sorry).

If all goes well and Mother Nature isn't trying to kill us with thunderbolts, I promise we'll run the cam this coming Saturday the 20th, and maybe Sunday as well. I want to put it on the nest boxes since my hens are all having a LOUD 'Foghorn Leghorn cartoon psychocackling hen' competition that is truly hilarious.

The ones with the mohawks look awesome.

Mine are about 6 weeks old now and I think theres 5 hens and a rooster.

This guy:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I drew your chicken. With chicken.

What can I say, I love drawing chickens.

Now looks like this:

After a night of drinking my friend named him Captain and I think she might have jinxed him. What do you think?

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Snakefast has snake feet! :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

More bad news, that I hate to have to relate. :smith:

This evening I found Here Kitty Kitty, another of the Silkie mix chicks, dead. It appears he died of flystrike, something we've never had in our flock before. Do yourself a favor and DON'T look it up--seriously, don't. Flystrike is where flies lay eggs in an opening in the skin and the maggots eat a huge wound until the host dies. It can affect animals AND humans, and in humans the areas most prone to flystrike are soft tissue...I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Kitty was so fluffy we never saw the small wound on his butt, and he was running around with the others just like normal. It's just gotten hot here the last few days and that's when flystrike is most common. Needless to say, all of the other chickens got a thorough going over tonight, they all appear fine.

Two chicks in two weeks. :smith:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Wow! Wow. Cool. Cool universe we live in guys. Just really, really cool how stuff happens. :sigh:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Awww, noooo :( Rest in peace, Kitty!

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

rip badass mohawk chicken

SolidVoldo
Jun 3, 2015
Suggesting name Tasslehoff Burrfoot - in honor of the greatest kender there ever was.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

More bad news, that I hate to have to relate. :smith:

This evening I found Here Kitty Kitty, another of the Silkie mix chicks, dead...
Poor little rooboy. :smith:

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
oh no....I'm so sorry, VS. Rest in peace, kitty kitty. These silkie mixes... Gosh...

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Sorry for your losses, VS. :smith: Poor thing...

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

awww shucks Here Kitty Kitty. VS, you gave him a wonderful life even if it was a short one. I'm East of you and the weather has been NUTS. Rained and rained for about two weeks and now it's fracking HOT.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Hope this is the right thread. VS, are you safe from the fire? While at work yesterday there was some talk about a wildfire near Gardnerville Nevada. Hope you are all safe and well!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

piscesbobbie posted:

Hope this is the right thread. VS, are you safe from the fire? While at work yesterday there was some talk about a wildfire near Gardnerville Nevada. Hope you are all safe and well!

:ohdear: Stay safe, VS and family!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The Washington fire is about 20 miles away from us, it's 16,500 acres and 15% contained, it started about a week ago. We're getting smoke but not nearly as bad as the Rim fire in Yosemite two years ago. No evacuation orders for our area yet, our firefighters are doing their usual awesome job of keeping that bitch where it is and not letting it spread.

The old weekly Chickam thread has been archived, so I started a new one in PI if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728188

The cam is up for now until it gets too hot (105 yesterday), we changed the location of the cam a bit (Look! OMG Landscaping!!!): http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008
Watermelon will be given out soon!

VVV YOU BITE YOUR TONGUE, RIGHT NOW!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 27, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

So VS....when are the chooks coming inside? :angel:

Actually, good news, your local paper says containment is 29%.
http://www.recordcourier.com/news/16994284-113/washington-fire-in-alpine-county

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ooop! VS and I replied at the same time. :D

GO POST YOUR REPLIES IN THE NEW CHICKAM THREAD!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728188

• Locked thread