Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
That was terrible.

I love it.

Now I'm a bit curious to see some of the other routes. The only one I'm familiar with is the convict one, because I looked through one of those hint books that every game had in the mid 90s. The convict path is simple, but rather boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Hahahahahah, WOW. That was most certainly a goddamn thing.

I seem to remember the Isle of Cats as being where I got stuck for a good while when I played this myself, can't remember why, though.

Are we checking out the alternate escape routes later or are you showing them off before we continue with the Isle of Cats?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
MY BRAIN

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
...I don't get it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I certainly never knew about that escape route. I don't think I ever bothered using the jester's staff more than once on any person. The Kyrandia games have hidden depths, and this one probably more than any other just by nature of how many solutions there are to every puzzle.

You don't actually need any disguise at all to get into the bath area, but if you do it wrong, I think you're barred from entering completely, which severely limits what you can do from that point on.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

PurpleXVI posted:

Are we checking out the alternate escape routes later or are you showing them off before we continue with the Isle of Cats?

Next time will probably be part of the Isle of Cats, then we'll do another escape as an intermission. As to getting stuck on the Isle of Cats... oh boy, yeah, I definitely know why and I'm sure LP will induce a terrible flashback or two.

Nidoking posted:

You don't actually need any disguise at all to get into the bath area, but if you do it wrong, I think you're barred from entering completely, which severely limits what you can do from that point on.

That's not exactly what happens, but it's close, and I'll talk more about that sequence of events once we get to the convict escape. The bath house is only unique in that it requires only the squirrel hat to safely enter, as opposed to every other location that requires the full disguise. The reason should be obvious - half the disguise is in the bath house to begin with.

Pierzak posted:

...I don't get it.

There's no place like home...

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
That has to be the fastest way to the Isle of Cats.
And that ends my favorite part of this game. The Isle of the Cats was always the most annoying part for me. :woof:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, but what does Kansas have to do with the Isle of Cats?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Say out loud what the dragon says to do with the eels.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That's not exactly what happens, but it's close, and I'll talk more about that sequence of events once we get to the convict escape. The bath house is only unique in that it requires only the squirrel hat to safely enter, as opposed to every other location that requires the full disguise. The reason should be obvious - half the disguise is in the bath house to begin with.

You can successfully get in with no disguise at all by setting your mood to Lying before you enter.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Fishcream isn't bad actually, if you use pollock instead of (ugh) eels.

And wow, this is a wave of nostalgia for me: Kyrandia 3 was my very first PC-game ever. And I think I tried to play it three times over the course of my life. The first two times I couldn't read English well enough to do more then wander around confused making a lot of toys for some reason. Also multiple fishcream sandwiches but for the life of me I can't remember what I did with those things anymore.

I also don't remember what the toys actually did! This is like a journey back to childhood for me. :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That was hilariously bad. It's not hard to imagine a game getting worse after this. Especially great that Brandywine doesn't even fall for it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

Say out loud what the dragon says to do with the eels.

Click your heels together and say "I want to go to the I love cats"

Yeah, it still doesn't make sense.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Click your heels together and say "I want to go to the I love cats"

Yeah, it still doesn't make sense.

It suddenly strikes me that some people may genuinely not have seen the source material for this. So, okay:

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is a 1900 novel by L. Frank Baum, as well as a very well-known 1939 film adaptation starring Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale, a young girl who gets whisked away by a tornado to the magic land of Oz. At the end of her journey, and now in the possession of a pair of magic silver/ruby slippers, she is told how to get back home to Kansas: Click your heels together three times and wish really hard (in the movie, she also says "There's no place like home.").

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 21, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm familiar with the Wizard of Oz, I was just expecting the spoken phrase to be part of the pun. Is it literally just the "click two eels" / "click your heels" that's the pun then?

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
That was...anticlimactic, I expected a better pun than that. I'd not ran into it ingame though, so at least there's that.

e: ..ah, it does say to 'click two eels together' so it's a bit better than when I first read it

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm familiar with the Wizard of Oz, I was just expecting the spoken phrase to be part of the pun. Is it literally just the "click two eels" / "click your heels" that's the pun then?

The eels are a pun on heels. As some word puns, like that one, are made by taking away a letter but still getting the general sound of the word with what is left.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
I'm just surprised that it worked and Brandywine wasn't just yanking your chain.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Oh my god it's working, I can already feel my brain being sucked into an interdimensional portal :doh:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It might have been better if the eels had a note saying "The rare Ruby Snapper eel." or if the destination was also a related put. "There's no place like Rome" or similar. Still, as someone who only ever played Hand of Fate, I'm interested to see where this game goes.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm curious as to what how you get to the isle of cats from the convict path. I only knew about the other two methods. Certainly wasn't aware of the pun one yeesh.

Considering how there are numerous approaches to puzzles in this game it still somehow remains ridiculously difficult.

Good luck in the next part Hyper Crab Tank. I do not envy you going through this next part.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Goodness, the pun almost seems anticlimactic.

Well, looking forward to whatever comes next.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't know what you guys are so disappointed about. He said it was terrible, and it certainly was!

Oh yeah, I wanted to say I'm surprised how much use you seem to be getting out of items in this game. I'm used to items in adventure games serving one purpose and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE. In another game your trusty nail would of broken after picking that first lock.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 22, 2015

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The best part about the nails is those rare instances where you need specifically a bent or straight nail - most locks can be picked with either and will bend or straighten the nail as appropriate, but obviously, you can't make the bent nail on a string with a straight nail. I'm pretty sure there's a way to just bend any nail without needing to pick a lock, though. There are ways to do all sorts of silly things, and you really should.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

This brings back memories. I remember playing this game (and the previous ones) but had forgotten the terrible CG and overall weirdness of this one.

Also that pun is truly awful and most likely not the route I used.

I do recall one of the later puzzles 'palming' an object with the cursor when you get thrown in jail and your inventory emptied and thinking it was pretty neat, I hope you show that off.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chapter 3: Wherein Malcolm Gets Hopelessly Lost

(Music: Mysterious Jungle)

Through the aid of Brandywine the dragon, Malcolm escaped Kyrandia to the Isle of Cats, an exotic location hitherto unheard of in Kyrandia lore.

Hey, I lost my disguise! Oh well. I won't need it over here.

Gunther looks different now. He'll be wearing the safari getup for the entirety of the Isle of Cats.

Now, time to plot my revenge on those fools!

Oddly enough, for a place called the Isle of Cats, it doesn't seem to have too many cats. There's one on the left there, but it doesn't seem very happy, and the place is called the "Dog Fort". What's going on here?

Pleased to meet you, Malcolm. I'm Duke.

Where's all the cats?

Where you have you been? We took over the island years ago.

We wanted their sesame export business. What could be easier than harvesting wild sesame?

So this is where all that sesame came from.

Not that I know a whole lot about this place, but it sounds like there's been a regime shift during the intervening years since Malcolm's petrification. Oh well, all the same to us, really. We're here to find the tools of revenge, not to meddle in local politics.

We can go left or right, so let's go left!

Looks like the natives don't like you, Tarzan!

Ew, gross. The snakes make kissy noises while this happens, by the way. I can't tell if those are supposed to be lipstick smears or something nastier, but we're dead either way. I didn't do anything other than leave the room, by the way. The jungle is too dangerous to traverse unaided.

At the back of the fort is a machete just lying on the ground. With this in hand, we can brave the jungle.

Just having the machete is enough to not get instantly murderkissed by snakes, but... we can't leave this location. We can't even go back where we came - Malcolm appeared in the middle of the screen, but we can go neither north, south, east or west.

To get anywhere in the jungle, we first have to cut down all the plants blocking the way by using the machete on them. There are usually 3-4 on any given screen. If you think that sounds tedious and boring, you're right.

Oh, poo poo, there was a pile of snakes under the bush!

Occasionally, cutting down a bush reveals a snake nest. When that happens, you have about two seconds to use the machete on the pile of snakes, or you're dead. Click on anything else, and you're also dead. Does this place sound fun yet?

Cutting down enough plants will eventually open an exit to some direction. We went left from the Dog Fort to get here, so let's try going back there by heading right.

Hey, guess what? The jungle is a giant goddamn labyrinth of near-identical rooms that don't connect sensibly to each other. Going back the way you think you came from rarely if ever returns you to that screen. I thought we were done with this poo poo after the first game, but the labyrinth section makes its triumphant return here, and it's twice as bad and it's brought friends that will kill you if you stop paying attention for a second.

I hate the jungle.

It's pointless and tedious and all the screens look the same. It will have you walking in circles forever. This place sucks. It is ostensibly possible to map the place out, but I have no intention of doing so.

Eventually, I manage to make it back to the Dog Fort without seeing another non-jungle location. This is not a reasonable mode of transport. What about that dog with the cart? He could help us out, maybe.

Hey! Stay away!

Rude.

Let's try asking nicely.

Hey, mind if I hitch a ride?

I don't know if I think there was a huge difference in phrasing there, but I'll take it. The dog will let us ride in his cart now.

On the way there, we're treated to a very 90s clip of the camera moving through the jungle. Unfortunately, it's too big to GIF up. I'm pretty sure it's the same scene as the actual jungle locations anyhow.

(Music: North Beach)

Thanks, buddy.

Sure thing.

Eventually, we end up on a sunny beach, a fresh pile of Hitchhiking Points in our pocket. Looks like we've got some salty dogs hanging out here, too. Perhaps a band of bloodthirsty pirates is exactly the thing we need to get our revenge?

Is your boat for rent?

Of course that's their names. This game does like its wordplay and strange references.

I suppose that's the fellow in red up there. All the pirates spreak in stereotypical French accents, by the way.

You fellows wouldn't be available for hire, would you? I could use a boat like yours for my attack on Kyrandia.

I am Jean Claude Barbecue, master of the Seven seas, at your service.

Wonderful. Sounds like we can come to an agreement here.

Well, not yet, exactly, but...

Kyrandia is not a good place to attack without magic!

Aw, man...

Come on. Let's just go, and we'll get some magic when we get there.

We have a purpose now. We need to hire these pirates to invade Kyrandia for us, but Captain Barbecue here is reticent to give it a shot without some magic to back him up. I can see why - Kyrandia's security force seems nearly nonexistent, but those mystics have shown themselves to be worryingly effective.

The only question is, where can we find some magic? The only exit from this place leads back into the godforsaken jungle, so let's hitch another ride on the sesame cart and see what else is on this island.

Next stop is this place: The Altar of Cats. That looks kind of promising. Vaguely mystic.

We'll have to keep our eyes open for something suitable. We can go east or west from here. East is just more stupid jungle, but west is something new.

The Colossus Ruins, huh? Looks like a big mouse statue sitting on a wheel of cheese on the right there, but what are those balls?

I hear you. South is back to the altar. East is...

... the other half of the ruins. Well, there's certainly something magical about this place, but there's nothing more we can do here right now.

The cart cat wants something.

Who's Fluffy?

Uh-oh. This sounds like something we have to do to progress the plot, and it sounds like we have to go through the goddamn jungle to do it. Well, nuts to that. We'll do that next time.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 26, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Is it just me or does this game really not give you much in the way of clues or direction?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Is it just me or does this game really not give you much in the way of clues or direction?

It really doesn't. Malcolm will give some random hints if you stand around long enough, but most of it is just random banter. Except for one thing we'll see in an update or two which, for me at least, really comes out of left field.

Also, I forgot to add the music links! I've edited them in now. The North Beach theme is particularly good.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Dang, that means of escape from Kyrandia sure is convenient. Most other routes put you at the beach, and since you can't get the machete there, you have to ride the cart. The cart, as far as I was ever able to tell, takes you to one of the other two locations at random, but if you're unlucky, you could find yourself just going back and forth between the same two places. I think I had to go get a hint because I rode the cart about a dozen times and never ended up at the Dog Fort, so I assumed I was missing something I needed to do. Once you have the machete, the jungle is decidedly not random, and if you learn the short paths, you can get to the area you want in a few screens. It's still annoying (and even more so than HCT has shown so far, although it's visible in the screenshots), but manageable.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Nidoking posted:

The cart, as far as I was ever able to tell, takes you to one of the other two locations at random, but if you're unlucky, you could find yourself just going back and forth between the same two places.

Actual number of cart rides required to write this update before editing it down: six or seven or so.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
When I played this at one of those demo computers stores used to have, I never got outside of Kyrandia, so this is all new stuff to me.

That jungle is terrible design though. Do plants stay cut down, or do you have to cut them down each time you revisit a screen?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

thedaian posted:

When I played this at one of those demo computers stores used to have, I never got outside of Kyrandia, so this is all new stuff to me.

That jungle is terrible design though. Do plants stay cut down, or do you have to cut them down each time you revisit a screen?

Ha ha ha
ha

guess

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
The "snakes" are leeches, which are why Malcom bleeds all over himself and why the leeches kissing him kills him.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Oh Jesus. I remember playing this game as a little kid and loving all of it.

Well, ALMOST all of it.

I cannot remember 99% of this game anymore, but you can bet your rear end I still remember exactly how much I hated that loving cat jungle. Without hints or a walkthrough to use it was the absolute worst.

Ugh. Thank you for suffering it for us, Crab Tank.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Tetrakarn posted:

The "snakes" are leeches, which are why Malcom bleeds all over himself and why the leeches kissing him kills him.

The game gives you "Snake Wrangling" points the first time you use your machete on a pile of them. They're definitely meant to be snakes.

We haven't even gotten to the worst part of the cat jungle shenanigans yet! :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At least there's not a "Litterbox of the Ancients" behind the altar.

That I know of.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Walrus Pete posted:

Ha ha ha
ha

guess

That's kind of what I figured. I would expect nothing less at this point.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The game gives you "Snake Wrangling" points the first time you use your machete on a pile of them. They're definitely meant to be snakes.

We haven't even gotten to the worst part of the cat jungle shenanigans yet! :v:

If you're talking about what I think you are (the fleas?) then yeah, the thread's in for a real treat. It's so... nonsensical, and weirdly punishing. It might not be as bad as I'm remembering it but boy is it ever stupid.

Of course you could just be talking about the sheer amount of time you have to spend traversing the stupid jungle, which is arguably this game's greatest crime.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

Of course you could just be talking about the sheer amount of time you have to spend traversing the stupid jungle, which is arguably this game's greatest crime.

That is nought entirely true, and I am very cross that you would suggest such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Walrus Pete posted:

If you're talking about what I think you are (the fleas?) then yeah, the thread's in for a real treat. It's so... nonsensical, and weirdly punishing. It might not be as bad as I'm remembering it but boy is it ever stupid.

Nope, none of those things. Although those are bad, too. No, I'm talking about something... grindier.

Either way, time for an interlude! This time I'm going to show off the portal escape.

Interlude: Portals and Potions

There are six ways in total to escape Kyrandia. When we did the "pun" escape, we had to talk to Brandywine the dragon and bribe her into telling us how to click eels together. If we hadn't done that, she would instead have given us a hint towards a different escape.

Why don't you go get him a sandwich?

What did you do that was so bad?

Brandywine has some leads on where we can get our hands on some portal potions. After getting this hint, we can get Darm to leave the same way as before: give him a sandwich and use the jester's staff on him three times. Once that's done, we can continue our conversation with Brandywine without Darm interrupting us.

So, now, any chance you'd want to sell me one of those Portal Potions?

Any idea where?

And that's the hint. Darm hid his portal potions somewhere so Brandywine couldn't get at them - a somewhat misguided move, given that she hasn't actually been using them - and it sounds like he bricked them up somewhere.

The cellar area with the teleportation rug has a suspicious-looking patch of shoddy brickwork. All we need is a way to break through. Note, by the way, that we don't really need the hint; the bricks are suspicious enough on their own. To figure this one out, we need to remember what we read about in Malcolm's family album earlier: a relative of Malcolm once used fertilized sesame seeds to explosively displace a bathtub.

We know where to get sesame seeds, but what kind of fertilizer do we use? Typically you'd use manure, but apparently it's also possible to make fertilizer from fish parts. I mean, obviously, right?

Well, we know where to get some fish.

Jam the eel and some sesame seeds together and you get fertilized seeds. I'm fairly sure this is not how you do it in real life, but this is Kyrandia.

Fertilized seeds go in the cracks between the bricks. All we need to do is pour some water from the creek onto the seeds, and...

Most excellent.

What awaits us inside?

A bunch of old junk, mostly.

There's more garbage here than in the dump.

One item in particular stands out above the rest.

Voila! I did it! I wonder what I did.

The nautilus shell-shaped container contains ready-brewed portal potion. All we need is a bottle to put some in. The potion doesn't work just anywhere, though; we need to find the right launching spot.

The town arena, to be precise. Examining those footprints will give you an appropriate hint. All we need to do is use the portal potion on ourselves in this room, and...

I think it's time to get off this stinking island.

Ahh, I'm still alive. Now, to plot my revenge on those fools!

Gunther is a little disoriented. Where did we end up though? We haven't seen this room before.

It's actually the little cave next to where Duke is standing in the Dog Fort. We hadn't had a reason to go down there before, so we never did. And that's the portal escape; it's the fastest of the bunch, provided you know beforehand to break open that wall and how to do it.

• Locked thread