Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The elf rat game is the superior bloodbowl. That said lizards are one of the few teams that can ottd down 1-2 players with no skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Voting for Pro Elves because I don't want my players to explode once I get to play against whatever this team's going to be named. I played against a goon who played lizards before, and it was terrifying.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
While I'm still all in on Underworld fun, I would rather see Lizards than elves too.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I say Underworld, weedy elf hippies are boring as gently caress.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Dibs on game 20 with my necro team from last season.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I distinctly remember the end of the last thread it being decided that GNU Order would be doing Lizardmans if he took up this fool's errand again. The vote has happened, and this is an egregious abuse of democracy to get around the horror of the early Lizard game.

Lizards for Democracy,
Lizards for Order.

koze
Jul 17, 2009
Pro Elves all the way.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Coffeehitler posted:

I distinctly remember the end of the last thread it being decided that GNU Order would be doing Lizardmans if he took up this fool's errand again. The vote has happened, and this is an egregious abuse of democracy to get around the horror of the early Lizard game.

Lizards for Democracy,
Lizards for Order.
I am a fan of lizards as well (having already voted) but no decision on the next team was actually made in the previous thread, either by the viewers or GNU Order. (There were quite a few folks who wanted to see the squamous horde in action but nothing approaching consensus was reached.)

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Dreadwroth posted:

I say Underworld, weedy elf hippies are boring as gently caress.

Bingo.

Voting Underworld. Because gobbo mutations.

Shazzner
Feb 9, 2004

HAPPY GAMES ONLY

Lizardmen

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
This thread has hit six pages and 120 votes in, what, three days? And it's going to be another week before Gnu picks a team? Hoo boy.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

BurningStone posted:

This thread has hit six pages and 120 votes in, what, three days? And it's going to be another week before Gnu picks a team? Hoo boy.

I mean, voting ends as soon as you guys make up your minds :)

Also we have to vote on a team name and player names, but from here on out I'll be more strict on voting. This first race vote is kinda the most important one, so I wanted to leave plenty of time

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
Gonna vote for dwarves because I hate fun and enjoy strangling other teams with them until they can't do anything but watch while I walk the ball into the endzone

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

TimNeilson posted:

Gonna vote for dwarves because I hate fun and enjoy strangling other teams with them until they can't do anything but watch while I walk the ball into the endzone

This is how 60% of all bloodbowl games play out anyway, dorfs just dont pretend they can do anything else.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Lizardmans. I was told to vote here.

No sauruses, though, that's cheating.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
I'm keen to see some Lizard action.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

CommaToes posted:

Lizardmans. I was told to vote here.

No sauruses, though, that's cheating.

Oh god Southlands Lizardmen, Goblins without Secret Weapons.

To be clear in WFB the Southlands Lizardmen don't have a lot of Saurus and therefore have Skinks that can, um, sort of fight. They are a poo poo-garbage army for idiots, never not have all the Saurus you can have god.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Who wouldn't want to watch this?

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Because it's a huge misrepresentation of a lizardman game. Because skinks don't pass anyway.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Steelpudding posted:

Because it's a huge misrepresentation of a lizardman game. Because skinks don't pass anyway.

Exactly, just give it to that other skink and score a touchdown. It's an informative poster.

for the elves

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 22, 2015

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Human Pro elf all the way.

Lizards are a boring baby team for babies who don't want to think. You have the same skills on all your players that actually care about skills, you bash the enemy team into submission, and take advantage of skink bullshit to win games. They're like dwarves but slightly more fun to play against in an open format and attract the same kind of players who gravitate towards dwarves and norse because they're dead simple to play. Skink bullshit is their saving grace because they actually have a skill ceiling that isn't "put guard on every dwarf and grind out a 2:1 victory".

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Exactly, just give it to that other skink and score a touchdown. It's an informative poster.

for the elves

I'm sold.

Pro Elves

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I like how most of the arguments for elves/against lizards boil down to "Man we sure have no choice in this democratically designed Blood Bowl team and are just gonna see boring blodge-pomber sauruses".

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Remembering this is democracy bowl, I switch my vote to Underworld.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I like how most of the arguments for elves/against lizards boil down to "Man we sure have no choice in this democratically designed Blood Bowl team and are just gonna see boring blodge-pomber sauruses".

I will agree at some level the problem is that Lizards are specialized to the point of inflexibility. Like there was some idea you could give say a Wight passing skills and at least he CAN do those things even if it's not really optimal. But thanks to their statlines Lizards are just always going to excel in certain areas and be totally useless in others.

Like you give him a pass skill on a Lizardman of any type and he's still NEVER going to pass because they're all terrible at it.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
And that's why Lizards. Deep down, we all want to see GNU suffer through our choices. Lizards are drat hard to get off the ground from the lack of skills to start. You want SPP on the Sauruses/Krox not the Skinks. And Kroxball is the best, most hilarious ball.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Voting Chorf because I want to see the hate from the thread about them. :getin:

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

welp, I was going to vote lizards but now I'm sold on Underworld

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

A vote for Underworld is a vote for freedom :911:.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Thats clearly a beast of nurgle :colbert:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

You know, I've danced around exlaining the teams more in-depth for a while, and this is as good of a time as any to actually look at the roster, especially because some of you newbies to Blood Bowl may not fully understand what people are talking about when they make generalizations about teams.

I can't remember how much of this was covered in the "How To Bloodbowl" video, but a good refresher is in order. A Blood Bowl roster has 16 slots for players. In order to field a team, you need at least 11 players, but you can bring some spares so that when a player dies or gets hurt, you have a substitute for the next drive. To start, let's use Pro Elves to show what a Blood Bowl team roster looks like in general, and what Pro Elves look like specifically.

You could spend forever talking about races and what makes them good, and I'm sure some of the more veteran players may not agree with one thing I said or whatever, so just know that the rulebook information is absolute, and any assumptions I make about a player are my opinion, which may be accepted or may be taken with a grain of salt. Vets, don't nitpick everything I say here, ok?

If you start to get bored by all this just ignore it, you don't really need to read it. It may just help you make a more informed decision and get a better grasp on Blood Bowl's mechanics, if that's the sort of thing you might be interested in. I'll typically be saving the spergier aspects of the game for text writeups so as not to bog down match videos with number and poo poo nobody cares about.

Here is a Pro Elf roster, taken from the Blood Bowl rulebook (linked at the bottom of this post)

So, if we wanted to make a Pro Elf team, these are the units we would have to choose from. Qty indicates Quantity, so the max number of that unit you can have on your team. So, if you were so inclined, you could have a roster full (16 players) of Linemen. However, you would be doing yourself a disservice, as linemen are typically the worst player on a given team (there's a reason we stick them on the line to get punched around). The heavier restrictions are on the non-linemen players, which we call positionals. You can only have 2 Throwers, 4 Catchers, and 2 Blitzers on any pro elf team. Cost is their price in gold. You start a roster with a stipend of cash, which will limit the number of positionals you can take (they are typically more expensive than linemen, on account of being better). Cash will never really be a concern to you, the reader, as I'll be attempting to explain our roster and our possible moves based on the cash we have in hand, and what our restrictions are.

The rest of the information given, however, is the meat of what makes a Blood Bowl player a Blood Bowl player. The four numbers next to Cost are the player's stats. MA stands for Movement Allowance, and it dictates the number of squares a player can move. The average speed of a player is MA6. As you can see, our normal players and our thrower are average, but our Blitzers are fairly fast and our Catchers are really fast.

ST is the player's Strength. It's the number which is used to decide how many block die to roll when you try to block a player. ST3 is the average, and there is typically less variance in ST than with MA. So, ST4 is quite strong, and ST5 is insanely buff. Our players, then, are average all across the board.

AG is Agility, and is the stat which governs how well a player can pick up the ball, pass the ball, catch a pass, or dodge through Tackle Zones. AG3 is average, and the variance in Agility is similar to Strength, but it skews lower. Because of this, the highest AG a player can have at team creation is 4. As you can see, Elves all get AG4 to start, which makes them incredibly slippery and expert ball handlers. A good example to demonstrate is the roll needed to pick up the ball in open space. An AG4 player does this on a 2+, meaning as long as they don't roll a 1 they pick up the ball. An AG3 player does it on a 3+, AG2 on a 4+, etc etc. So, all of our players are all basically as good as possible at picking up the ball, among other things. Elves get no favors in the ST (and upcoming AV) department, so getting AG4 across the board is one of the big draws of an elf team.

AV is Armor Value. AV is a bit harder to explain to an incoming player, but simply put, when your player gets knocked to the ground, there are a series of rolls that are done to determine if he got hurt or not, and how hurt he may have gotten. Having a higher AV means you're less likely to get hurt or worse. AV8 is the standard, and it has a variance closer to MA. So, we shade a bit on the fragile side, which combined with our stock ST3 means Elves are quite fragile.

Skills - Know that there are 40+ or so skills in the game, a few of them are way more important than others, and skills in general help assist you on rolls or can take effect based on a particular scenario which, in theory, will make your player better or more likely to do a good job. So, on Pro Elfs, the Thower gets a skill called Pass which lets him reroll a Pass action if he fails. Catchers get catch which does the same thing only with catching. Blitzers get a skill called Block (arguably the best skill in the game) which makes them better at punching and getting punched, and a skill called Side Step which makes them harder to push around.

"Normal" and "Double" - When a player levels up, they roll 2d6. If those die come up with a high result, they can choose to increase a certain stat (based on the result). If they roll low, say 2/4, they only get to choose a new skill. Every skill in the game falls into a category, and "Normal" dictates which skill category a player can choose from. You don't really need to know every skill and which category it falls into, as I'll be helping guide player levelup votes. However, having more categories to choose from means you have more options when it comes time to level up. If you get lucky and roll doubles on your 2d6 (say 4/4) you can also choose from any of the skills in the "Double" category. G = General, which contains mostly utility skills and skills which are just overall useful in general. A = Agility (yeah, like the stat, real original guys) contains skills which make you dodgier, better at catching, and otherwise elfier. P = Passing which make you a better passer, and S = Strength which contains skills geared toward punchin', gettin' punched, and helpin' your teammates at punchin'. Pro Elves all get General and Agility access on normal levels. Throwers get passing on normals, and everybody gets all four on doubles.

Phew, ok, the Lizardman and UW posts will be way smaller now that I've explained what you're looking at here. I'll be splitting them into their own posts just to break up this already gigantic megapost.

Useful Resources
The Blood Bowl CRP Rulebook - Not many people actually read the rules! The rulebook is actually full of useful information to reference.
Fumbbl's Race Strategy Page - A distilled version of what you might see in the rulebook. This is what I use to reference player stats, feel free to click around and look at the teams.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

While the Pro Elf roster looks a lot more like a "typical" Blood Bowl roster, you can see Lizardmen have some curiosities. For starters, they don't have Linemen, and they instead have Skinks. Also, check out that Kroxigor. 5 ST? All those skills? Man. Well let's break it down.

Sauruses - I'm going to start here because Saurs are the meat of a Lizardman team. They are reasonably fast, ST4 which is quite strong, and AV9 which means they are nearly impossible to kill. You can get 6 of them on your roster, and you would be crippling yourself if you didn't take them all. However, their big weakness is the AG1. This is the lowest possible Agility you can have on a player, which means they are complete trash at picking up the ball, dodging etc. They are basically gigantic hulking monsters who slam their way around the field but are completely flummoxed by the idea of picking up or catching the ball. They start with no skills which is a bit of a problem, and have reasonable skill access.

Skinks - To combat the utter uselessness of the Saurus w/r/t ballhandling, you get a big handful of sneaky little raptors. Skinks are real quick at MA8 and agile enough at AG3. However, they are only ST2 which is quite weak, and AV7 which is a bit on the fragile side. They also only get Agility access on normal levelups which hinders their general usefulness. However, their big draw is the skill they start with called Stunty. It's an Extraordinary skill, which means you can't get it on a level up, it is innate to the player. Stunty makes them worse at passing the ball (they were already not that good) and makes them easier to kill (which they were already fairly easy to kill). However, when they make dodges, they completely ignore the negative modifiers of multiple Tackle Zones. This means, no matter what dodge they're making, it's a 3+. Getting away from a single guy? 3+. Literally dodging through an actual wall of enemies? 3+, 3+, 3+ and you're so fast that you can skip past them to the end zone, laughing all the way. So, Stunty and MA8 makes them amazing scorers once they get the ball in their hand, but they can't take a hit if their life depended on it.

The Krox! - In Blood Bowl, there's the concept of the "Big Guy". Some teams get access to a Big Guy, a couple teams can take 2, but some teams get none. A Big Guy is, by his nature, ST5. ST5 is incredibly massive, as an opponent trying to take down a big guy with scrub linemen will often need 3-4 players surrounding the Big Guy to even try and take a shot at him. The Krox is basically a Saurus+, with some other drawbacks. For being +ST, he's still quite fast, but equally crap at ballhandling. However, Big Guys come at a price. They all have some sort of skill which makes them less reliable. Skills which make your player worse are called Negatraits, and the Kroxigor's negatrait is Bone-head. Every turn, when you try to do something (move or punch, typically), you have to roll a d6. If you roll a 1, your tiny-brained buff Kroxigor gets so confused that he just stops whatever he was doing entirely and stands around until your next turn, making him totally useless. It's a big drawback, but great benefits can be reaped by a Big Guy who plays nice.

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 22, 2015

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The CRP rulebook I found doesn't actually have a listing for Underworld as they're fairly new, but here is a screenshot from Fumbbl (linked in the first post). So, you get pretty little sprites of the players as well.

Underworld Goblin - Even though there is a unit called the "Linerat", these are the the closest thing to a disposable lineman as you'll get on the team. They compare very similarly to the Lizardman's Skink, only they are 2 MA slower, which is a noticeable drawback. They can also be thrown, which I'll hit when I get to the Troll.

Skaven Blitzer, Skaven Thower, Skaven Linerat - Underworld are a mashup of a Goblin team and a Skaven team, and here's the Skaveny component to the pairing. They are all MA7 (above average speed), ST and AG3, and AV7, though the blitzer is AV8. They all have a skill called Animosity. This negatrait means you have to roll a 2+ to hand off or pass to a player who is not a skaven (so the Goblins or the Troll). These players are extremely racist, and if you roll a 1 they will refuse to give up the ball. They have the skill access you'd expect a Blitzer, a Passer, and a normal Lino to get.

Warpstone Troll - The Big Guy of the team. Really slow at MA4 and terrible at ballhandling at AG1, but incredibly strong and hard to kill with ST5 and AV9 respectively. Their negatrait is Really Stupid, which functions similarly to Bonehead. However, if they don't have a teammate standing next to them to keep them focused, the 2+ roll to do stuff becomes a 4+ roll, where failure renders them totally useless for a turn. They also get a skill called Throw Team Mate, which does what is says on the tin. They can only throw players who have the skill called Right Stuff (so, in this case, you can't throw Skavens but you can throw Gobbos). They can walk up to the player who may or may not be holding the ball, and try to chuck them down the field with an imprecise toss. The Goblin can land on a player (friend or foe) and cause damage, or try to not land face first on the pitch. If they manage to stick the landing, they can then run away. A full Throw Teammate action generally has a lower percentage of working, but if done properly you can launch goblins over walls of enemies to score or bean a player who's heavily protected.

You'll notice each player, in their "Normal" Skill Access, has an M. That is the big draw of Underworld. On normal levelups, they all get access to a weird set of skills, called the Mutation category. This means they start growing weird things on their body like third arm, claws, long leaping legs, or even a terrifying second head. These skills are by no means super overpowered, but they're weird and fun.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Oh and btw all of these own and are going in the OP

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Come to think of it, I think Prelfs might be more fun in the end, and so I'm gonna switch from Lizards to Pro Elves

It'll be nice to watch a team that starts with 2 absolute bullshit positionals, and then have one of them die in the first game.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

About time for the daily tally

prelf - 50
liz - 34
UW - 25
orc - 4
ogre - 1
vamp - 2
khorne - 1
dorf - 2
amazon - 1
halflings - 1
Chorf - 1

The gap has increased between the top team and the second team (previously Prelfs +12 over Lizards, now Prelfs +16 over Lizards). If the gap gets bigger again by tomorrow I'm going to just close the vote.

Again, if you want to change your vote from here out, post again because I won't go back to see if you edited a previous post.

poochiepoo
Oct 14, 2013
I want to see Lizardmen

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
One day there will be an LP with Lizardmen.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Pro Elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well gently caress my one vote is the only Chorf? Switching over to the Lizard party then. Khorne would be fun to watch too but they ain't happening it seems.

• Locked thread