Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Harvey was my bro

He's not mine because we poor and I stopped riding about a year ago after 18 years after a huge fight with my mum because we always went to the stables together and :qq: gently caress you mum I never want to see you again :qq: dumbest thing I ever did. Thinking about going back because me and mum are chill now.

He's chucked me off so many times, the most memorable being in the middle of a hack for literally no reason anyone could see, because some twat was shooting pheasants nearby and I missed a wheelbarrow full of manure by about 3 inches and just because he's a spooky fraidy cat baby who can't walk past a hedge. The big grey lady in the back is Nancy his bff, he won't go anywhere without her and now she's semi-retired she has to be kept in the loose area beside the manège where he can see her or he won't do anything. My sister rode her a lot while she was still doing little jumps and stuff but she just goes in chill circles now with one of the nervous girls and basically just danders about.

This big dude was Warrior (lol) and he has sadly passed (he was p badly treated in his previous life, he was massive so big dudes just pulled him about and wrecked his mouth and his back legs were hosed so he was euthed but he was spoiled rotten for his last year) he was the biggest horse I've ever been on and the biggest sweetheart. I miss him a lot.
Also lol at my stupid feet and lovely seat because I couldn't keep my rear end on the saddle, we eventually fixed that mental block.

I don't have any more pictures because I suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I miss it so much :gonk: I'll field the idea this weekend and see if she even has a horse for me!

That's disappointing news about Boyse :( it's v sensible to get out before you get yourself worked up and nervous tbh I've been there before with my instructors insane show pony, I had a few really scary moments and I just had to quit him before I gave myself a complex.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I would say that motorbikes are dangerous because of how cars don't take proper precautions with them but hah that's even more true for horses. "Slow" doesn't mean go from 70-60 :(

I'm a bit sad that I got so nervous sensible when I got older, there was a little barrel of a rescue pony I was riding a lot 6-7 years ago and the cross country jumps I was putting her over were huge and scary and oh god what was I doing. She was about 13h I think and had just weaned her foal so she was having a great time.

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 14, 2015

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

A friend and his lab partner were out in the woods one time collecting specimens for a lab in college and they got shot by a hunter. Like, actually shot. He lost part of his hand and his lab partner was killed.

Hunter got all of his guns and licenses taken away for life and charged with manslaughter, but it doesn't change the fact he shot someone for making noise in the woods because it might be a deer. I'm all for responsible hunting but some assholes should not be trusted.

That is incredibly sad :( And how can you just shoot at anything that moves and call it hunting, that's ridiculous.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Some people deserve to be bitten. Except those first kids, they need to be arrested.

Also in response to your earlier post Aquatic Giraffe your horse does not look like a deer s/he looks like a total dream :swoon:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

:swoon:
Don't you stifle that pony, she could have her own dreams.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Yay Nondevor and yay Angrymog! :neckbeard: Nondevor your instructor is very sensible having you ride a variety from the very start and I enjoy it a lot more when you don't know what's coming every week, keeps it fresh!

And that holiday sounds incredible Angrymog :swoon:

I haven't managed to get back to the stables yet with all the other poo poo going on recently but the end of June is my target. I can't wait to get yelled at for my terrible terrible feet! Maybe a break will have broken all the awful bad habits I had???

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I visited the stables, I actually got a bit teary when I saw Harvey, he's my special buddy :unsmith: instructor was giving a private lesson so I didn't get a chance to speak to her today but I got to hug everybody and meet new dog and new chickens, got to hug a chicken too and I took bad photos
This is Dillon and Sylvester who is blind in one eye, they are new

Debonair is grown up now

Ruby is still the prettiest

I failed getting photos of the new dog (I petted his tummy for a good half an hour, he's lovely) or the chickens or the other new pony, boo me

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I would love a go on Tinker. Gimme the big fluffyfoot to jump on :3:

A couple of good lively circles beforehand to wake him up and you would have been golden imo.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Aaaah she's gorgeous! :neckbeard: come back and tell us what you call her!

Orbit is beautiful too, I have very fond memories of a big derpy piebald called Magee :3:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Probably, yes. Horses aren't like greyhounds, you should not be able to see ribs. Faires are not exactly bastions of animal welfare. Take photos and report it but prepare for gently caress all to be done about it :(

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Watching the Royal Dublin Horse Show and an Irish pair, Bertram Allen (20) on Romanov (17) get two clears in the team showjumping, makes my heart go all fuzzy to see the golden oldies do so well :3:
Look at this gorgeous guy!!

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

He is flipping gorgeous :swoon:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Mia is also an absolute stunner. She should wear her shark every day :3

Poor Eddie :(

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Trotting without stirrups is good for you, that's why it hurts so much :twisted: I had a bad habit of gripping up so I had to do a lot of work without stirrups. Think of having big weights attached to your heels and put a hand on the saddle when you need to and keep yourself stuck on the saddle, it's not fun for anybody if you're bouncing the whole time.

Murphy is a gorgeous big guy, he has a sassy face!

Tyma posted:

It's not fun, but it all comes together in the end, right? ^^;

I see lots of people buying all kinds of scary-looking bits, or gimmicky products that clip onto the bridle, to try and keep the horse's head down, when the only real problem they have is that they've just never been taught how to ride with light hands, while containing the horse's energy underneath them.

The fact that they mix this stuff in with the jumping is probably a sign of a good riding school. In fact, if they have horses that can move in a proper outline, that's probably an even better indicator :D
The odd time my instructor would have used what she called "stretchies" (probably not what they're actually called tbh) that are a bit like loose bungee cord things to help encourage their head down but it was usually only on one big old girl who can go on the bit but if she doesn't wanna then you spend half the lesson arguing with her about it and some of the older lady riders just didn't want the fuss. I was always made to have the argument and it is well worth putting the effort in to get that feel in your hands without aids. She looks like a totally different horse when she's in a nice outline, she goes from a big ploddy dozy mare who has to be chivvied round a circle to picking her feet up and moving like the proper fancy lady she really is :3:

Edit: I left the reply window open a long time there! I agree with you Tyma about group lessons, I like having downtime between turns to settle myself and think about what I'm doing. What are US style lessons like?

teenytinymouse fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 19, 2015

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Tyma posted:

Hello, fellow 'Huge Imaginary Weights' user!

Our instructor used to pull out £20 notes, put them in the seat of the saddle, and wager that we couldn't keep the money sitting there, while performing an ever-more-ellaborate set of manoeuvres. I've never seen anyone win the money :{

That's a good one! My instructor was always one for imaginary aids, carrying imaginary trays to keep your hands up, having an imaginary pole behind your back to keep your elbows at your sides, imagine you have squeezy sponges in your hands to keep from having too hard a contact etc. I don't think I ever saw her use a real aid for position, she brought out this weird back brace thing that meant you couldn't move your upper arms from your sides but it was purely used as a threat. Which worked very well! :v:

quote:

The only one I've ever been in was English Riding, but also kind of like circuit training. Everyone was assigned a corner, half or route around the school, and had 20 minutes to ride around and work on a specific fault or manoeuvre, by repeating it over and over again. The instructor was on horseback, and rode around the school observing the riders and pointing out faults, while her understudies all watched from the gallery.
I don't think I would enjoy that at all myself. I can imagine horses getting bored and frustrated fairly easily as well as the riders. I'd like to know more about american style riding in general tho.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Nondevor posted:

I fell from my horse today.

I feel sorry for the horse!
Hmm. Yes, you will fit in just fine :v:

If you don't know Dusty well then it could have been anything causing him to speed up. If you're sitting for a diagonal then he might take that as a prelude to a canter signal, it could mean you're gripping with your legs more while you're sitting (I did this a lot), you could be concentrating on your diagonal and putting more tension than he likes on his mouth etc, so I wouldn't attribute it to him "acting up" just yet. Very sorry you got so unlucky as to come off though! Get well soon finger :h:

Falling off is something you also have to practise, what if you never fell off and then one day you really need to roll towards the centre of the arena and bounce back up immediately while staying calm and not making any fuss (despite any and all injury in case you spook someone) and you haven't practised any of it?!

Also I won my first ever rosette on a grumpy little skewbald pony called Dusty, it's a good name :3:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Bummer :( you were right to try and not hit the jump though, I've done that and it hurt a lot though I guess I didn't break anything...

Tyma posted:

In all the time I've been riding, I've never been taught to fall, because riding schools over here all have stipulations in their insurance policies that prevent it. I've asked a few, because I have a really messed up back, and I'm scared of wearing a Body Protector, but they're all "NOPE!". I might just go to a judo class or something ^^;
Well that's not ideal. I've never fallen off on purpose like but I've done it a lot and it's sometimes better to come off cleanly rather than hang there for ages freaking the horse out and yourself and that's hard to do if you're scared of falling :(

Why would the body protector hurt your back? I never rode without one tbh and my back is the one bit of me I never really hurt (except the time I mentioned above when I landed on a pole)

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Oh that sucks. I didn't realise there wasn't like, other options for people who can't wear them :(

I know people who just don't like wearing them, it's crazy. Mine actually maybe saved me from some cracked ribs in a stable once too when a mental pony decided I did such a bad job on his feet that I needed to be squished.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Just to tide us over till Angrymogs picture dump of exotic horses and beautiful scenery, here is something completely different

Spud and myself are coming up on 20 years of acquaintance and I heard he had a slip in the field and twisted his pelvis (???) so I visited to give pets and mints. He was grumpy because of flies and sneezed in my face.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

They might go to local rescues? I know that a rescue near me will take animals from those kind of situations. There's no way to know I guess but there's a chance they're happy and being rehabilitated somewhere :unsmith:

There were two very sweet little donkeys and a tiny tiny pony in a field by my bf's dads house and their poor feet were really overgrown. I was thinking of making a call about them but I couldn't get the nerve up to potentially cause any bother (I'm the worst). This week though someone came to bfs dads house from the rspca asking about them and he was able to give them the address of the person who owns the field so hopefully they will see a farrier soon.

Angrymog I'm so jealous of your beautiful holiday I'm sick with it :3: I'm glad you had a good time and I know Sadia wasn't nice to you but I think she's very beautiful and she sounds like exactly my kind of girl. What was your other horse friend called? He is very beautiful too :swoon:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I get to sit on my horse for the first time in almost two years next week :dance:

I'm going to be in so much pain.

RIP your butt!!!! :neckbeard:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Congratulations Jewel!!! She is so pretty, I would just pile ribbons on her for general gorgeousness :swoon:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Horse thread lives!!!

Look at this beautiful boy :h:

I still haven't got back riding after a year talking about it, my sister still tells me how all my horse friends are doing tho and it's lovely but also heartbreaking, I know Harvey is getting near retirement and I might not get to fly round the arena with him jumping literally anything that's put in front of him again :(

Once I pass my driving test tho :getin:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

My sister was on Harvey my best boy last weekend for the first time ever in the 18 years we've been at that stables and said he was wonderful :kimchi:

But also :cry: because I miss him. She's used to big horses because she's 5'7" and broad so being on a little fella like the ones I'm used to was apparently really weird lol

I posted him before but here he is again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

dandybrush posted:

Aww Harvey! He looks so sweet, how big is he?

You know I don't actually know exactly lol a bit shorter than me at the shoulder so I guess about 14-14.5? You can see Nancy (Harvey's best friend for life in the background there, she's 17.5hh and she's my sisters no. 1, a big beautiful dinner-plate-footed megastar) Harvey won't go anywhere without his majestic grey lady friend, when she's in the manège he has to be tied up somewhere so he can see her, he's neurotic and anxious as hell and I love him :love:

• Locked thread